Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Eel really like this premiere, let's see where it goes from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lemony posted:

Given the trailer also talking about the number of years to get back and the food running low, I'm guessing maybe they decide to attempt some sort of gravity boost using the sun?

Well, we were both wrong, but I'm glad all the same :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man that was good.

You know the moment that music comes on that major poo poo is about to start going down.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
OMG, Ravs Plan almost made me black out from laughing.

DARK comedy!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I almost had to pause it when Iris was on the talk show. This show is so good about taking things now and futuring them up in a way that is completely plausible.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

I almost had to pause it when Iris was on the talk show. This show is so good about taking things now and futuring them up in a way that is completely plausible.

I really like the world-building. Armando is always great at taking lovely institutional social mores and synthesizing them into a script.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

limp_cheese posted:

The talk show was far and away my favourite scene, pure streamchat horror and confusion.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I'm so glad this show is back; its one of my favourite comedies of all time. If Rav's food shortage plan is an indication of things to come things could really go off the rails quickly!

One minor criticism, though, I did find the way they added the crisis of flying into the sun to be a bit lazy in the writing. It was "only the captain's handprints can fly the ship" levels of stretching believability for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kinda love that Karen emerged this episode as being the only one on board who actually wanted to inform the passengers, even after spending weeks thinking they wanted her dead, and knowing that was a genuine possibility if she did go out there and inform them. Vaguely heroic.

Lol that there's no poo poo floating around the Netflix Avenue 5, and space has been filled with nebulae in roughly the same shade of gaudy crap that everyone on the show wears.

I thought Rae Lim's character (the Asian girl with the baseball cap) went out the airlock last season? It's been a long time though, and imdb isn't helping.

Hopefully we haven't lost the husband / wife couple from last season, or some of the other supporting cast.

Bucswabe posted:

I'm so glad this show is back; its one of my favourite comedies of all time. If Rav's food shortage plan is an indication of things to come things could really go off the rails quickly!

One minor criticism, though, I did find the way they added the crisis of flying into the sun to be a bit lazy in the writing. It was "only the captain's handprints can fly the ship" levels of stretching believability for me.

I guess it's partly there to hammer home the environmental collapse metaphor, but I did think it was a convenient way to get out of having to tell anyone about Karen being responsible for the eight year detour. Assuming VFX lady doesn't leak the news (or is believed if she tries).

That kid is dead af.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I guess it's partly there to hammer home the environmental collapse metaphor, but I did think it was a convenient way to get out of having to tell anyone about Karen being responsible for the eight year detour. Assuming VFX lady doesn't leak the news (or is believed if she tries).

That kid is dead af.

It's kind of a great element to that metaphor that the passengers are so quick to throw other passengers under the bus!

As if any of this would be anything other than 100% the company's fault!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I honestly thought they were running a con on the kid so they could use her as a scapegoat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I thought Rae Lim's character (the Asian girl with the baseball cap) went out the airlock last season? It's been a long time though, and imdb isn't helping.

I have no memory of this character? Come to think of it who is the woman Charles is married to, was she in last season?

Also feel so bad for karen. The GIs in paris metaphor was so funny

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I have no memory of this character?

She's a minor character, one of the main voices the show would use for crowd scenes. I think she has a confrontation with the Captain when he's demoted to passenger. During the airlock scene she's the one in the third wave who does the forward roll into the airlock, lmao. About 2:45 into this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

I've seen the first season three times lmfao. It's a great show and I love showing it to people. But I could be going goon face blind, finally.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Come to think of it who is the woman Charles is married to, was she in last season?

Nah, I don't remember either of them turning up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Glad the show is back, episode 1 was great. I remember being a bit disappointed by S1 coming from Veep but with some more distance now, it rules too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“You might frighten vampires, but you don’t scare me, Sun!”

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Judd absolutely owns every line. The little make-good "I saved your best friend, me!" with Mads was gold.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Best show on television. Makes me laugh, scares the poo poo out me.

Matt's speech is like what would happen if Willy Wonka was in the early stages of a heroin habit.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 18, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Great episode. Everything with the talk show continues to be perfect. From "We are getting an unconfirmed report, you know what? I'm confirming it. Confirmed just now" to "We've been talking about death on this show and the question 'Do we miss the dead?'" and the immediate 3 nos made me pause the show.

Also holy gently caress, they found a way to bring back Sarah! I'm looking forward to the bit where she isn't sure who she is when pressed.

The weird intensity when Matt is giving his soeech was another high point. "A BROOK BABBLES NEARBY....WHIMSICALLY.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I love this show so much.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I liked this show way more after a rewatch, but I know it wasn't the most popular thing so I wondered if they'd adjust at all for the second season. They haven't at all and it's wonderful.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You mean change up the formula? I don't understand why it didn't do better. Veep was pretty beloved iirr and the cast is tits. Maybe it's the scifi setting?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think it's a handful of things and that's one of them.

A lot of the sci-fi nerds I've seen online have reacted badly to this show, for reasons that haven't been particularly well articulated. I suspect it's the visual design that puts people off. A show about a pack of rich idiots wearing deliberately ugly clothing, doesn't fit the narrow aesthetic band associated with "respectable" sci-fi. (I can't quite articulate why this is different to the use of colour in Thor: Ragnarok, or whatever, but it feels like it is).

It's got a slightly different sense of humour to both Veep and The Thick Of It, and a very different setting. The Venn diagram overlap of people who want to watch a modern british horror sci-fi comedy is fairly small.

Finally, and to be honest I think this is the big one, it's a much more uncomfortable satire than Veep / The Thick Of It. Maybe this is just me, but I always got the sense that the latter, in particular, was popular because it was a bit of a power fantasy. People laughed, but they felt powerful when laughing.

This is very far from that, quite a lot of the characters are pathetic and contemptible but there's still something scarily human and likable about them, meaning that when they're threatened it's genuinely scary. People laugh about the airlock scene, and it's funny af, but there's a real stomach churning danger to that entire passage. There's an unrelenting progression to it. More and more characters, or greater and greater importance, force themselves out of that airlock to their death, and every time those doors hiss open I absolutely believed that one of the leads could have been carried away against their will, or crushed, or just stupidly give in to peer pressure and jump out the doors themselves. The dialogue is hilarious, but the actors play it like it's drama.

This season seems to be building up to a mass cull in response to sudden climate change and resource scarcity. There's a certain kind of viewer who is really not going to find that remotely funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is a double post, but based on our earlier conversation itt I went back and checked the airlock scene from Season One, and noticed this:

Season One, Episode 8:

Season Two: Episode 1:

They're the same actors on IMDB as well, Joseph Balderrama on the left and Rae Lin on the right. :tinfoil:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"People like her. I don't know why, I don't care."

Nice to see Zara 'Sarah' back where she belongs. Maybe it's just me but man, Matt scares me more with each episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah, I think it's a handful of things and that's one of them.

A lot of the sci-fi nerds I've seen online have reacted badly to this show, for reasons that haven't been particularly well articulated. I suspect it's the visual design that puts people off. A show about a pack of rich idiots wearing deliberately ugly clothing, doesn't fit the narrow aesthetic band associated with "respectable" sci-fi. (I can't quite articulate why this is different to the use of colour in Thor: Ragnarok, or whatever, but it feels like it is).

It's got a slightly different sense of humour to both Veep and The Thick Of It, and a very different setting. The Venn diagram overlap of people who want to watch a modern british horror sci-fi comedy is fairly small.

Finally, and to be honest I think this is the big one, it's a much more uncomfortable satire than Veep / The Thick Of It. Maybe this is just me, but I always got the sense that the latter, in particular, was popular because it was a bit of a power fantasy. People laughed, but they felt powerful when laughing.

This is very far from that, quite a lot of the characters are pathetic and contemptible but there's still something scarily human and likable about them, meaning that when they're threatened it's genuinely scary. People laugh about the airlock scene, and it's funny af, but there's a real stomach churning danger to that entire passage. There's an unrelenting progression to it. More and more characters, or greater and greater importance, force themselves out of that airlock to their death, and every time those doors hiss open I absolutely believed that one of the leads could have been carried away against their will, or crushed, or just stupidly give in to peer pressure and jump out the doors themselves. The dialogue is hilarious, but the actors play it like it's drama.

This season seems to be building up to a mass cull in response to sudden climate change and resource scarcity. There's a certain kind of viewer who is really not going to find that remotely funny.

This is all good points and likely has at least something to do with it for at least a few viewers but even imagining myself in their position there is no way I would not have been laughing my rear end off at the tunnel pregnancy screaming conversation. It's inherently funny to me

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm enjoying season 2 so far but I think the writers made a big mistake with pulling Iris off the ship. She was great at bouncing off Judd and the Captain, and I'm not finding her time on earth interesting or that TV show host to be funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I get the tv host but she's not really doing it for me either. Just kinda a reminder what we're barreling towards. Maybe it'll all come together. I did think they were going to do more with the little mini iris

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm so glad Iris is still Iris on earth but Judd needs someone else's name to scream randomly.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Have there been any hints or spoilers for what the Lithium thing is about? Not to post them here, but I'm just curious if there is chatter about this out there?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

This is a double post, but based on our earlier conversation itt I went back and checked the airlock scene from Season One, and noticed this:

Season One, Episode 8:

Season Two: Episode 1:

They're the same actors on IMDB as well, Joseph Balderrama on the left and Rae Lin on the right. :tinfoil:

The airlockers were right. It's a reality tv show on a fake spaceship set. Zarah is actually Sarah.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

What in the holy gently caress was that episode? There was just too much.

I mean they managed to fit a joke that is similar to this in there.

I feel like I need to watch it again to hear all the jokes. Just madness.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Inflate the deviant!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Amazing ep. Show is good at making me feel queasy, though I kinda wish the show would add to its bodycount already.

Wondering where this TV subplot is going now that Iris has left Earth. Which, btw, what a loving idiot. Iris, you were safe! ...ish

Rav and Matt would make a pretty good couple, I reckon. They've got good comic chemistry for sure.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"I am sorry to always be the corporate stiff but i cannot allow a sexual predator to run free among vacationing families. I am a libertarian but there is a line" :smug:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
TV IV > Avenue 5 S2: It's like psychosexual Jaws

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"We were so distracted by the pedophile, we forgot about the cannibal."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I like how Matt made excuses for everyone until he heard about the beagle lady and immediately switched to "gently caress that sick filth."

I also had to pause it at "I can't stop picturing her looming over the dogs with lube and a brick." I physically recoiled at that and didn't know if I should be laughing. That mental image was horrifying.

Edit: Almost forgot "She told me she was grooming them....." Just this entire episode I kept reacting like Matt in this clip that's queued up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFvILSl0OTg&t=6s

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 25, 2022

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
This series has really hit the ground running. Lovely stuff.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"Sorry, I'm just internalising a lot of panic and fear. But I've done that now and I'm back in the room."

"That nice lady over there? She bludgeoned her mother to death. With her father."

Oh god. This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Matt has this amazing intense energy, like he’s seriously coked up but also constantly about thirty seconds away from a total nervous breakdown.