Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Knowing absolutely nothing about the situation, the cabbie definitely said the CC machine was "broken" and Kane did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

clean ayers act posted:

i have irrationally high hopes for this kid

I see what you did there

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

drat this thread might give anyone reading the notion that people who are hockey fans are big pieces of poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aye Doc posted:

drat this thread might give anyone reading the notion that people who are hockey fans are big pieces of poo poo

We're approaching playoff posting levels and it's (checks notes) one game into the season for some teams.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is it too late to put money on a Flyers/Canadiens eastern conference final?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

clean ayers act posted:

i have no idea whats happening in the last two pages but heres a thing

Insane to me that this kid fell to the 6th round. GMs love big boys and he can skate, unreal toolbox

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1581042598021505024

Theres the Gallant we know and love.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Yeah that was too bad to hear, I'm not a fan of the guy but I think it would have been nice to see him in Dallas on Monday night coaching against his previous team.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think it's pretty lovely of you to stereotype and make assumptions like this based upon a persons 'look'.

Edit: your cabbie take of 'he deserved it' for arbitrary reasons is impressive as well. Had it coming did he?

you are right, thank you for checking me. I'd like to apologize to all hosed-up looking mustached balding guys and drunk driving cabbies who were offended by my statements.

gently caress!! why

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

JFC

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

you are right, thank you for checking me. I'd like to apologize to all hosed-up looking mustached balding guys and drunk driving cabbies who were offended by my statements.

Tony I know you have the money to change your av. It's 2 teams behind. Come on bud.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pittsburgh would never employ a sex pest but gently caress the Rangers for being rumored for trading for one!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I feel like nobody is particularly well-served by a pissing match over who watches hockey the most righteously. The whole 'righteous consumption' thing is an absolutely dogshit part of the internet, and I'd like to keep it right the gently caress away from here. I know that sometimes the fact that various players have done bad things will be relevant. I mean, we have a rolling scandal about the national hockey organization covering up sexual assaults committed by players. But if we could do what we could to keep it on the level, and not turn it into some measuring over who is caring too much or too little, that would be great.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Agreed,

WeaponX posted:

gently caress the Rangers for being

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

Agreed,

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tony I know you have the money to change your av. It's 2 teams behind. Come on bud.

Unironically thank you for the reminder.

Now back to hockey: Tony D actually looked good last night. and the Flyers played reasonably hard. Not looking forward to that. I think them and Arizona are gonna have a big impact come playoff time depending on who they end up injuring. Not looking forward to rolling those dice a bunch of times this year.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Tkachuk is consistently one of the league leaders in penalty differential which is a hugely underrated skill. Any time you can put your team on the powerplay you're hugely increasing your chances of scoring while virtually eliminating the risk of being scored on. People always emphasize 5 on 5 because that's the truest indicator of a player's outright ability, but regularly putting your team on the powerplay is likely more useful than anything else. It's only not more valued because penalties evaporate in the playoffs.

How much of this is a mirage though, ie how much of said positive differential player is undone by the refs balancing the game with make up calls? Those calls might not go against the same player, but a made up call is still a made up call.

I’d bet if a player has a +20 differential at the end of the season atleast half of that gain was undone. No idea if it’s possible but measuring a players penalty differential in the third period when the team is leading and the team has a positive differential for the game.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

i had no idea that another team hired rick bowness, let alone a peer franchise to the stars lol

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

i have no idea whats happening in the last two pages but heres a thing

and he gets his first NHL goal in his first NHL game in the season opener. and Rasmussen looked surprisingly good with him too.

a good start

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Through 2 games Erik Gudbrandson has some how exceeded how bad I thought he could be. 13.5% xGF and 20% shares of everything else that aren't scoring chances where he's back to 10-15%. Sorry Jackets fans he might single handedly be bad enough to sink the entire season. Not that I think there is a lot of positive season ahead with their spreadsheet numbers :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Through 2 games Erik Gudbrandson has some how exceeded how bad I thought he could be. 13.5% xGF and 20% shares of everything else that aren't scoring chances where he's back to 10-15%. Sorry Jackets fans he might single handedly be bad enough to sink the entire season. Not that I think there is a lot of positive season ahead with their spreadsheet numbers :(

He did make a fantastic defensive play to break up a 2 on 1 during the Carolina game, I'll give him that much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ville Husso status: Cool Dude

Elmer Söderblom status: Cool Dude

Two cool dudes bein’ cool. I trust in the YzerPlan™.

Let’s go Red Wings.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

This season is gonna be rough as hell for the Canadiens with such an inexperienced defensive corps (David Savard #1 D-Man lmao) but I have to say... there's quite a bit of potential in there. Guhle, Xhekaj, even Harris at times, have shown a level of play beyond their years here and there. It's not consistent at all, but there's something to develop. Guhle is especially impressive for his level of experience.
It can't be easy to have a big team like the Red Wings smash into you over and over on your 2nd ever NHL game, but they weren't shook. They were outplayed but they weren't embarassed.

Losing season, but an important one development-wise, imo. Hockey is fun to watch when winning isn't very important :)

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I can't think of another reason why Ruff is still here other than that he's under contract and they don't want to pay him.
Iirc Golden Boy Jack Hughes likes Lindy, so there’s another big reason.

I think he said it on the 32 thoughts preseason podcast. Maybe this ep? https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...kEegQICBAH&ep=6

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1580393466055380994?s=20&t=kUZggth-2MFkGlR7PsmVEQ

This poo poo has to go, it was glitchy at times during both Caps games too.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1580393466055380994?s=20&t=kUZggth-2MFkGlR7PsmVEQ

This poo poo has to go, it was glitchy at times during both Caps games too.

Even when they work correctly, they're distracting because the lack of motion blur makes them look separate from the rest of the picture whenever the camera is panning left or right (i.e. constantly in hockey). It makes their movement look choppy while the rest of the picture "glides" smoothly.

Also since they rely on color keying, you inevitably get random glitches such as Carolina player #26 here getting decapitated. His head was up, but the system decided it's not worth showing (though it reappeared and disappeared a few times)

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 15, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Zat posted:

Also since they rely on color keying.

I think they rely on a difference matte and not keying, but your point remains.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I thought it was funny that the Leafs were relying on Murray this year. But now to find out that they’re relying on Murray to stay HEALTHY? Dubas, you fool. You glorious fool.

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1581296777151463424?s=46&t=Z8AHlRxjM0k4gksgRJv7-Q

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm starting to question if Dubas is really a prodigal genius.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It's a long-shot, but I do see a reality where Samsonov plays well enough (and by well enough, I mean not dogshit garbage) so that Murray becomes an occasional back-up. I have no faith in Murray, and it's still early enough in the season for me to be an optimist about Samsonov.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

It's a long-shot, but I do see a reality where Samsonov plays well enough (and by well enough, I mean not dogshit garbage) so that Murray becomes an occasional back-up. I have no faith in Murray, and it's still early enough in the season for me to be an optimist about Samsonov.

Samsonov will flash in the regular season then break your heart in the playoffs, good luck.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

bub spank posted:

I thought it was funny that the Leafs were relying on Murray this year. But now to find out that they’re relying on Murray to stay HEALTHY? Dubas, you fool. You glorious fool.

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1581296777151463424?s=46&t=Z8AHlRxjM0k4gksgRJv7-Q

What is goaltender an important position or something?

Who is driving the Zamboni these days?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Guy is buttery soft about playing former teams, he was a big weirdo that miraculously couldn’t play against Pittsburgh almost every game the last few years too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Matt Murray being unable to play is not exactly in any way miraculous

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm trying to find a game from 2011 or 2012. It was an overtime playoff game I want to say game 5 or 6, I think the hawks were playing but it stands out because they played for like 8 straight minutes in overtime. I found a 2011 game against the canucks but I don't think that's the right one.

Either way, ideally I'd like to find it with the bob cole commentary because it was sublime. Somehow he nailed every name and every piece of action for 8 straight minutes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/1519124488322965504

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ilmucche posted:

I'm trying to find a game from 2011 or 2012. It was an overtime playoff game I want to say game 5 or 6, I think the hawks were playing but it stands out because they played for like 8 straight minutes in overtime. I found a 2011 game against the canucks but I don't think that's the right one.

Either way, ideally I'd like to find it with the bob cole commentary because it was sublime. Somehow he nailed every name and every piece of action for 8 straight minutes.

That was Blackhawks-Kings, game 5 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmlRKzxsE2o

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

Samsonov will flash in the regular season then break your heart in the playoffs, good luck.

Meh, it'll be fine, Matthews will score a goal per game in the playoffs because what are the odds his wrist gets busted yet again?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

and Rasmussen looked surprisingly good with him too.

a good start

username+post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hand Knit posted:

That was Blackhawks-Kings, game 5 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmlRKzxsE2o

ah perfect, thanks. I thought it was hawks kings but they didn't play the years i had in mind. Is there a way to watch the full game with bob cole commentary or is that all memory holed in a cbc basement somewhere?