Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

good god this is awful

e: oh 1987 I guess it wasn't bad for the time

lol, what context were you working off of? the very sophisticated age of 2397 where we've evolved past a servant making up words to gently caress with a nobleman thinking they've summarized all of human language in a book being funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
house of the dragon is actually good, it's like a greatest hits of game of thrones. get don cherry on that poo poo to commentate the head slicings

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
welp I think it's a Krull night

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

welp I think it's a Krull night

double dare you to play the arcade game emulated while watching Krull

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol, what context were you working off of?

the context where people can act good

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

indigi posted:

the thing I'm most annoyed by is this dude pretending he isn't Sauron. I don't feel like waiting a full season or two for the reveal, that's stupid.

Roosevelt posted:

what? no that's gambalf

polyester concept posted:

this was my naive assumption knowing nothing about the history of the story

indigi posted:

it isn't

indigi posted:

Radagast and Gandalf don't show up til well into the third age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBCWhpLDYw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
ringz ended on something of a high note. sauron reveal got spoiled on twitter for me (economists :fist:) but was still handled well

not a show that gives the audience much credit

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

ringz ended on something of a high note. sauron reveal got spoiled on twitter for me (economists :fist:) but was still handled well

it's pretty bad overall but I still finished the series because I wanted to see what the answer to the stupid mysteries were. imo it might have been a "better" series if it wasn't meant to be LOTR, since they didn't really engage much with LOTR style ideas, but then no one would have watched it.

this is the sort of level the show's at

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

distortion park posted:

e: actually check out this author photo from a book I got given. gotta be fun at least

this ended up being really good. Was 'Vernon Subutex One" by Virginie Despentes. Is essentially a series of really well done character portraits, which never loses a core of optimism despite 90% of the characters being total pieces of poo poo. At times there are little hints of "boomer trying to be cool" energy but that might have been the translation.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm glad you liked it, i don't have anything to add really except lol @ that pic. "generic french woman"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm glad you liked it, i don't have anything to add really except lol @ that pic. "generic french woman"

[file photo]

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's pro trans and anti scumbag film producers. give it a shot!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Im so bored of all these rings. finale was fine i guess, but the entire thing is just so booooorrrriiinngggg. there are also way too many coincidences and you really feel the writers struggling to figure out how to tell this story in a way the studio demanded. Gotta get to sauron and mordor by the end of the season. Also we want all these other characters established. We gotta have every piece of lore otherwise audiences will be mad.

Now that the season is done, my recommendation would be to skip it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

done

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

yeah it was pretty bad. take a shot every time a character says a line lifted almost verbatim from the movies while elrond waggles his eyebrows and winks at the camera

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Rings would have been better if Starhobo was actually Sauron but I'm not surprised that they went with the safest, most obvious plotline.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i couldn't get through the second episode lol

it's not that it's bad, really. i can accept a certain level of bad, it comes with the genre

but that was just so boring

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

yeah it was pretty bad. take a shot every time a character says a line lifted almost verbatim from the movies while elrond waggles his eyebrows and winks at the camera

its got all the classic prequel mistakes where they're trying to rush through anything new or different to get to what the audience recognizes. Its that loving scene in the star war prequels where obi wan and anakin discuss their adventures in an elevator. Show us the adventures you jackasses!

If that means you gotta spend that 500 million across 20, semi-serialized, episodes instead of 8 im ok with that. maybe have sam raimi do it

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Rings would have been better if Starhobo was actually Sauron but I'm not surprised that they went with the safest, most obvious plotline.

i dont think that would have been better because nothing happens either way. its a season long mystery for the sake of a season long mystery and it ends up having no impact on anything.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i haven't seen it yet :(

spoiling isn't fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also what i've seen so far owns. it's only bad if you're looking for stuff to nitpick instead of enjoying the fantasy story with dwarves and hobbits and elves

i mean this is the internet so i get it but it's a good show

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

i absolutely blame lost for this btw

this is a nice thread crossover. remember that american guy i was talking about in cjs the other day? he keeps trying to get me to watch lost which is the best tv show ever according to him

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rjmccall posted:

i didn’t read any spoilers or anything but im fairly familiar with the lore and story, being a huge turbonerd. when the three weird people revealed who sauron was i was yelling at the tv about how it didn’t make any sense and one scene later i was yelling that it was obviously halbrand just based on the situation he found himself in and despite generally liking the show up until then i was ready to write it off. lol. but i think they stuck the landing decently well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

i couldn't get through the second episode lol

it's not that it's bad, really. i can accept a certain level of bad, it comes with the genre

but that was just so boring

i kept pausing it to explain to my wife what the backstory was, and by this last episode she’s pretty into it. but she said if it wasn’t for me explaining that stuff she would probably have checked out a long time ago. but im not a super fan complaining about all the details they’ve changed so i guess jeff bozos found his target audience in me. a guy who read all the silmarillion crap 20 years ago and has left it alone since then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i haven't watched any of the new tv serieses that are out. people are all talking about em but honestly watching them just sounds like a chore. idk maybe i'm just not into tv anymore.

ones that i've told people i'll "put on the list:"

the boys
the chair
the expanse
cyberpunk anime
lord of the rings
throne of the dragon
new season of rick and morty
last season of better call saul
season 3 and 4 of stranger things
any of the marvel tv serieses at all
all of the new star wars shows except the mandalorian season 1

like just fuckin....ugh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 15, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my wife got us watching the dragon show and i just can’t follow it. i don’t care about any of the characters to the point i keep having to ask her who people are when they show up on screen and we’ve seen every episode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we’re midway through for all mankind season 3 and it’s pretty much dropped the early season alternate history aspect and boomer nostalgia and is now just a hard SF story about space exploration with slightly quaint technology and 90s needledrops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, that was the one recent series i have watched all the way through. it's pretty good. nobody else i know in real life is interested in it.

i feel bad for sergei

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 15, 2022

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i haven't watched any of the new tv serieses that are out. people are all talking about em but honestly watching them just sounds like a chore. idk maybe i'm just not into tv anymore.

sounds like either you’ve got a rad new thing in your life and it’s taking all your attention or you’re clinically depressed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

this is a nice thread crossover. remember that american guy i was talking about in cjs the other day? he keeps trying to get me to watch lost which is the best tv show ever according to him

lol. don't watch the whole series imo, but the first season is actually really entertaining. the second season isn't bad per se either, but it's not great

on the surface it actually seems like a great tv show. the acting is good, the direction is mostly fine and the production is top notch, it's great visually. the writing is the problem

not that it's an accurate barometer really but it got rave reviews at first too, until it became blindingly obvious that there was no coherent narrative. that's somewhere around the second season. one thing that i think was pretty interesting though was that it was extremely popular just as social media really started taking off, so there were a bunch of podcasts and interviews and poo poo with the writers and producers. of course they insisted up until the end that they in fact had a plan, the narrative is actually a finely tuned machine and poo poo, you know. it just wasn't true, although a lot of people thought it was. it seems like it's going somewhere, especially if you're not paying attention

it was extremely popular though. that most newer shows make the same mistake can partially be attributed to its popularity i think, but the basic formula has been copied extensively enough that it's self sustaining now. theres entire generations that grew up watching poo poo that doesn't make any sense ultimately lol

fart simpson posted:

i kept pausing it to explain to my wife what the backstory was, and by this last episode she’s pretty into it. but she said if it wasn’t for me explaining that stuff she would probably have checked out a long time ago. but im not a super fan complaining about all the details they’ve changed so i guess jeff bozos found his target audience in me. a guy who read all the silmarillion crap 20 years ago and has left it alone since then

i feel like this is probably related actually. i read most of the tolkien poo poo probably 20 years ago too, but i wasn't deeply into it. i wouldn't know what they changed or why it matters, because i probably forgot it in the first place, lol. there's a balance between doing what the writers did there and what the writers on lost did (that to be clear i think is pretty hard to meet, actually. but i'm not a writer. lol)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fart simpson posted:

my wife got us watching the dragon show and i just can’t follow it. i don’t care about any of the characters to the point i keep having to ask her who people are when they show up on screen and we’ve seen every episode.

don't they do a bunch of time skips too?

that's what bugged me the most about the witcher

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the backlash to lost was so hard the joker makes fun of it in one of the Batman video games

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

ones that i've told people i'll "put on the list:"

the boys
the chair
the expanse
cyberpunk anime
lord of the rings
throne of the dragon
new season of rick and morty
last season of better call saul
season 3 and 4 of stranger things
any of the marvel tv serieses at all
all of the new star wars shows except the mandalorian season 1

like just fuckin....ugh

I've watched a handful of episodes of a couple shows on this list and am not super interested in more

the star wars and marvel stuff I will watch as my son ages into it, but until then I'm still on a diet of kids shows

wife and I are re-watching Seinfeld and I've started playing old games on retropie when I have time to myself

my problem is that there is just SO MUCH media and none of it is "must watch"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

Im so bored of all these rings. finale was fine i guess, but the entire thing is just so booooorrrriiinngggg. there are also way too many coincidences and you really feel the writers struggling to figure out how to tell this story in a way the studio demanded. Gotta get to sauron and mordor by the end of the season. Also we want all these other characters established. We gotta have every piece of lore otherwise audiences will be mad.

I think this is right, they had a list of things they wanted to do each (like there's almost exactly one action sequence each episode, one introduction etc) plus all the stuff you said, and they just worked out how to do them. In that post season interview they did they say a bunch of dumb stuff that makes it clear that this is how they approached production. There wasn't like an overarching story, theme or set of ideas driving the whole thing.

Some of the dialogue in the last few episodes was godawful but the main galadriel scene in that last episode was good enough and an appropriate take on their characters.

the whole scene where the legendary elven Smith was taught about alloys being a thing was really wtf

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 15, 2022

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

Im so bored of all these rings

i remember reading this right after giving up on trying to get through lotr as a kid and man i loved it. no idea how it held up but lol.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Rings of Power is great I can't wait to see what they do next season

this part owned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read that as a kid too. i liked it. good ol' frito and dildo and pepsi and moxie and goodgulf and arrowroot, son of arrowshirt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just finished that eddie murphy “my name is dolemite” movie and it was real good imo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just finished the 4k re-release of 2013 evil dead, drat what a fine horror movie. that finale is fuckin great

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rotor posted:

just finished that eddie murphy “my name is dolemite” movie and it was real good imo

it was great to see Wesley snipes just killing it

after his stupid sovcit imprisonment

he still has it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

It owned, I also went back and watched the old Dolemite.