Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
The Netflix release of Spiritfarer is out! It has some framerate issues on my tablet even after messing with the graphics settings, which just made it lo rez AND terribly hitchy. Seems to work fine on my phone though, so I guess I will just play it that way even if the gorgeous 2d animation will lose some of its impact :saddumb:

Also new on their list of games is Desta: the Memories Between, which is uhh a roguelike with tactical dodgeball combat as metaphor for working through your emotions? Starts a bit slow but seems like it could get more interesting when you get further in and have multiple people on your team and more to deal with during the fights.

There's a Nailed It game that seems like it is going for a Jackbox-y multiplayer thing, so I'll have to get some people together before I can really try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For anyone who's been paying attention to it (it's been p low profile so don't blame you if not), Homeworld Mobile went live - it's got pvp, co-op, isn't pay to win, etc.

Uses a lot of old HW2 models and some new stuff, was in the beta for a while and it's p good though still a little buggy. Give it a go!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks cool, are there servers/should I be on one where goons are?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

Looks cool, are there servers/should I be on one where goons are?

As far as I know it's just log in and play but the experience changed around some since the beta version I tried

Haven't gotten back to multi in the full game yet

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Magic Survival, does the HP regen just not work? Mine's supposed to be 0.2%/second and I've got 164/200 health. So I should gain 2 HP every 5 seconds. But I'm gaining nothing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Feeling nostalgic and wondering if anyone knows if there a good time management style game like the old Diner Dash that is worth playing these days. I downloaded the newer Diner Dash style game but its an absolute hellhole of stamina and constant IAP popups

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Cook, Serve, Delicious 1 has a mobile port that translates pretty well I think

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hooah posted:

In Magic Survival, does the HP regen just not work? Mine's supposed to be 0.2%/second and I've got 164/200 health. So I should gain 2 HP every 5 seconds. But I'm gaining nothing.

No idea, I've never really bothered with hp regen. I just get one point in shield early and by the time that isn't enough no amount of hp regen is gonna matter anyways

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The dark deed is done

Only registered members can see post attachments!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've got a handful of 8-12 hour flights coming up, looking for something to kill time with. Must work offline.

I downloaded magic survival because I've been playing those style of games on pc (played enough 20 minutes till dawn to skip that). Last time i was flying a bunch I very much enjoyed buriedbornes. Simple graphics are a huge plus, I was gonna try bloons but I feel like the graphics will give me a headache. Maybe match 3 stuff or tower defence? Pretty wide open really.

Ideally stuff I can buy/play outright without in app bs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Obligatory Slice and Dice if you don't already have it. The Tower is a sorta tower game that you can sink some time into. You have one tower that you upgrade and work on with meta upgrade, and mobs come directly at the tower. There's no pathing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dicey Dungeons is on mobile nowadays and it's a pretty fun game!

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

You mentioned match 3 so on the off chance you haven't played them 10000000 and You Must Build a Boat are great.

They're idle/clicker game adjacent but I think Spaceplan and A Dark Room are pretty fun the first playthrough, they have this really cool feeling as you kind of unfold new mechanics. Might be a nice change of pace from more arcadey stuff. For other recs it kind of depends on what genres you like? Dungeon of the Endless and Baba is You both have decent ports afaik. You could always grab an emulator and :filez: some games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

field balm posted:

I've got a handful of 8-12 hour flights coming up, looking for something to kill time with. Must work offline.

I downloaded magic survival because I've been playing those style of games on pc (played enough 20 minutes till dawn to skip that). Last time i was flying a bunch I very much enjoyed buriedbornes. Simple graphics are a huge plus, I was gonna try bloons but I feel like the graphics will give me a headache. Maybe match 3 stuff or tower defence? Pretty wide open really.

If you enjoy the rpg grindan' in buriedbornes you could try SIralim ultimate? it's a $10 buy-to-play game. Also a port from the PC version so I don't really know how high quality the android version is but it's got good ratings on the playstore. Also has cross-save. This one's about building up a party of 6 custom-made pokemons instead of playing a single character.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

GetDunked posted:

Cook, Serve, Delicious 1 has a mobile port that translates pretty well I think

Thanks, also didn't realize this was ported

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

field balm posted:

Troll patrol for match x is good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Orna thread looks to be dead as hell, there still a goon presence?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

quote:

TAMPA, Fla. — A popular new mobile game reportedly requires players to play in landscape mode, a requirement that many gamers feel is asking for a lot.

“Everyone’s been talking about this new mobile game Heavenfall’s Rise, but to be honest I haven’t gotten into it,” said local gamer Charles White. “I tried to play on my lunch break, but as soon as I saw I had to turn my phone sideways I was like, ‘I’ll just come back to this later.’ It was just a big commitment at the time. Two thumbs at the same time? Come on, man. Grow up.”

According to those familiar with the situation, White did eventually try the game. The experience later, however, wasn’t much better.

“I was ready this time, I had my phone sideways and everything,” White said. “But then I saw the intro cutscene had voice acting and I didn’t want to use my phone speakers, so I grabbed my bluetooth headphones. But then they wouldn’t connect for some reason, so I spent a few minutes resetting them and restarting my phone and finally got them to connect. That’s when my friends decided to spam the group chat right as I launched the game again. The notifications kept rolling in, so I had to go put my phone on Do Not Disturb. After all that, I was finally able to play, but I didn’t last long. The touch controls were too finicky, so I decided to just come try another time. Other than that, it’s pretty fun, though.”

The director of Heavenfall’s Rise, John Kornacki, said he has his hands tied when it comes to developing such complex games for mobile devices.

“Do you know how hard it is to replicate the experience of a console game on a phone?” Kornacki asked, rubbing his eyes. “Changing the screen orientation changes everything about the experience: the UI, how things are framed, how players interact with elements, and so on. Just turn your TV vertical if you think it’s so minor. And yes, it does have to replicate the experience of a console game. Or else what are we even doing? Just trying to pull as much money from suckers as possible? OK, yea, that’s a big part of it too, honestly.”

At press time, White reportedly tried to open Heavenfall’s Rise again, but after the loading screen lasted roughly two seconds, he decided to just back out and gently caress around in Pokémon Go for the 10,000th time.

https://hard-drive.net/mobile-game-requiring-you-to-play-in-landscape-mode-really-asking-for-a-lot/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Speaking of which, what are goons' favorite portrait-mode android games for just opening it up and tooling around for 2-5 minutes while you wait in line or something? I usually just browse SA or read an article or something.
Seems like all the most visible games want to do the big habit-building lifestyle thing with daily grinds and stamina systems and longer play sessions and etc etc

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Speaking of which, what are goons' favorite portrait-mode android games for just opening it up and tooling around for 2-5 minutes while you wait in line or something? I usually just browse SA or read an article or something.
Seems like all the most visible games want to do the big habit-building lifestyle thing with daily grinds and stamina systems and longer play sessions and etc etc

Dawncaster is probably the best pickup and putdown portrait mode game i've played that is still available. There was a troll patrol or whatever style game based off War Games but it is no longer available which sucks.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Speaking of which, what are goons' favorite portrait-mode android games for just opening it up and tooling around for 2-5 minutes while you wait in line or something?

99 Bricks is a good one, I think a lot of people are gonna remember this from it being a ps+ title when they see it. It's like reverse tetris? Building the tallest tower of tetris bricks as you can, but with active physics for the bricks and lil bonuses and hazards.

It's free with a 5 sec ad every 3 runs, or a buck for no ads. I love it dearly, rarely hear it talked about being ported at all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Card Thief is great for this, as well as Solitairica

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Standingstoic posted:

99 Bricks is a good one, I think a lot of people are gonna remember this from it being a ps+ title when they see it. It's like reverse tetris? Building the tallest tower of tetris bricks as you can, but with active physics for the bricks and lil bonuses and hazards.

It's free with a 5 sec ad every 3 runs, or a buck for no ads. I love it dearly, rarely hear it talked about being ported at all.

Not compatible with the Pixel 7 Pro :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

BuriedBornes

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Landscape rules, portrait drools.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Someone mentioned Merge Mayor here months ago and I've been playing it ever since in 5 min increments throughout the day.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Buriedbornes is excellent (here's hoping the sequel delivers!) but I wouldn't describe it as something you can meaningfully do in 5 minute bursts just because the actual runs you send characters through can go for a long long time (if you don't die immediately to a gravecrawler or what have you on 3F)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Huh, I've thought it was BuriedBones since it was first mentioned in this thread, and I even played it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Honestly if Slice and Dice had portrait mode I'd never do anything else

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GetDunked posted:

Buriedbornes is excellent (here's hoping the sequel delivers!) but I wouldn't describe it as something you can meaningfully do in 5 minute bursts just because the actual runs you send characters through can go for a long long time (if you don't die immediately to a gravecrawler or what have you on 3F)

Well I'm a lot worse at it :v:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The Zachtronics Solitaire Collection is out on Android and it has become the perfect time waster for me. Some really great variations on Soliatire, I think it's a hit even if you don't play any of the other Zachtronics puzzle games they featured in.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Marvel Snap release day (CCG made by Ben Brode of ex-Blizz/Hearthstone fame) is out now : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvsgames.snap

I wonder how much of the awful grind and monetization is still there from beta. Goons were pretty unkind to it back then: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002418. I'll play until I get bored / hit a wall. Unsure if it has cloud/crossplatform saves as I see it's available on Steam as well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Marvel Snap release day (CCG made by Ben Brode of ex-Blizz/Hearthstone fame) is out now : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nvsgames.snap

I wonder how much of the awful grind and monetization is still there from beta. Goons were pretty unkind to it back then: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002418. I'll play until I get bored / hit a wall. Unsure if it has cloud/crossplatform saves as I see it's available on Steam as well.

It seems simple and heavy on the RNG. I don't hate it but I can't imagine it sticking around long term.

It has plenty of room to grow, especially since it just a simpler version of the board game smash up. But I don't see it sticking around long enough to grow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I will never in my entire life respect a "competitive" 1v1 game that's full of pay-to-progress aka pay-to-win crap.
IDK how people can stand to play games like this or clash royale or whatever

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Shwqa posted:

It seems simple and heavy on the RNG. I don't hate it but I can't imagine it sticking around long term.

It has plenty of room to grow, especially since it just a simpler version of the board game smash up. But I don't see it sticking around long enough to grow.

Yeah I'm having fun beating up on newbies right now. I'm sure I'll hit a wall eventually, but for now I'm having enough fun.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Knotwords if you like word puzzles.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah I'm having fun beating up on newbies right now. I'm sure I'll hit a wall eventually, but for now I'm having enough fun.

Oh for sure, I have been doing the same. Though we are probably playing the same deck because everyone unlock the same cards for a while and weenie rushes are always OP in card games.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I know this is like 10 years late but is there a Pocket Planes thread somewhere I'm not seeing? It got re-released on Android after being gone for years.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

BitBasher posted:

I know this is like 10 years late but is there a Pocket Planes thread somewhere I'm not seeing? It got re-released on Android after being gone for years.

There would be one for the original version in the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Xtanstic posted:

Thanks for the heads up.