Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is how the plan normally works. But, the Biden admin put in the special exemption period to consolidate and count all previous loans. It expires on November 1st.

Yes. Under the limited PSLF waiver, any prior payment made will count as a qualifying payment, regardless of loan type, repayment plan, or whether or not the payment was made in full or on time. All you need is qualifying employment.

If you haven’t already, you must file a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) & Temporary Expanded PSLF (TEPSLF) Certification & Application (PSLF form) for any period for which you may receive additional qualifying payments.

https://studentaid.gov/help-center/answers/article/payments-made-before-loan-consolidation-count-toward-pslf

This link below has an expanded explanation and a step-by-step guide to the process:

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/pslf-limited-waiver

Okay. I put in the consolidation application. I just did the PSLF help tool and now I need to print this form out and have my employer sign it, yeah?

From what it seems to look like, as long as I've got the consolidation application done and the PSLF application sent in before 10/31, I'm good to go, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Framboise posted:

Okay. I put in the consolidation application. I just did the PSLF help tool and now I need to print this form out and have my employer sign it, yeah?

From what it seems to look like, as long as I've got the consolidation application done and the PSLF application sent in before 10/31, I'm good to go, right?

Yeah.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Good. Thank you for putting up with my panicking.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

First lawsuit's motion to issue an injunction to stop the forgiveness is denied.

One other one was dismissed when the DOE added an opt-out option.

One more court decision tomorrow and another one on October 17th. If the motions from those two are also denied, then all the requests for an injunction will be denied and the DOE can go through with forgiveness even while the case is going through court.

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1580251803983101952

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are the two remaining cases? Is the 6 states one on the 17th?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The answer to this question is really, "Talk to HR," but just in case, is there a distinction in the EIN based on what state that you work in?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There shouldn’t be. Also, the PSLF tool SHOULD auto fill in the EIN number for your agency if you find it in the search menu.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do I need to wait for my direct consolidation to be completed prior to finishing PSFL application or can I jump ahead on it and get my employer to sign poo poo now?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Application appears to have gone live:

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

technically a beta for the application itself but submissions will be valid.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
submitted mine!!!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress yes! Thanks for the lookout!

Holy poo poo it'll be so nice to be sub 15k in debt

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Currently maxed out

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Currently maxed out

Wasn’t expecting that they would limit applications. Glad I got mine in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Murgos posted:

Wasn’t expecting that they would limit applications. Glad I got mine in.

It's the "beta" test for applications. I would bet that the full application doesn't go up until after the October 17th court decision.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hopefully they take lessons on the stress the site will get via traffic so that it can handle the amount of people that are going to be visiting when the site goes live.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

its back open

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Upgrade posted:

its back open

Got mine in thanks folks.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Done.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Thanka to this thread both spouse and I got ours on last night. Not sure if I qualify for anything, but worth a shot.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Got my submission in as well. Get in while you can, goons!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Submission done give my loan relief, biden

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Submission done give my loan relief, biden

DOE docs say they expect most loan forgiveness to be finished "within 45 days of launch." Not sure if they count the beta as launching, but it will probably only be a few days difference either way.

I expect it will be a lot less than 45 days for some people, but if you get it forgiven, then let the thread know so we can get a rough estimate of how long it takes.

Thanks!

And good luck/congrats to everyone who needed help and gave help.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This should probably be restickied, with a mod edit to the OP to link to the forgiveness site directly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

This should probably be restickied, with a mod edit to the OP to link to the forgiveness site directly.

Done

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Biden officially launched the app and said they had gotten 8 million applications over the weekend.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hot dog, it is. Did that 6 state court case thing get thrown out?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Sent in my 10k forgiveness request, and just requested the PSLF form from my employer. Hopefully they can get it to me asap so I can mail it in on time.

As far as my consolidation goes, I don't see any changes yet, but I did notice my credit score take a hit in the past couple days. Must be relevant to that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Huh. This is a bit unsettling.

I've applied for Consolidation to a Direct Loan. Did so back in August. Ever since then the completed documents have show up in the correct spot under "Completed Documents."

Now nothing shows up there.

(edit: I'm referring to the StudentAid.gov site)

(edit 2: also looks like there's some planned maintenance so maybe that's it)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 17, 2022

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

If you have a private loan and don't have another direct loan to consolidate, then I wouldn't hold your breath. But, it's not 100% ruled out.
Is there any update to this? I have been screwed by this. It seems an incredibly arbitrary and abrupt change in policy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I consolidated to a direct loan way back in August and its still going through. I have the paperwork saying its been approved, but I am still waiting for studentaid.gov to update. I'm going to still get my PSLF (which friends of mine have determined should mean Pumpkin Spice Latte Fudge) paperwork done at my work this week.

We did the math and my husband and I would owe a combined $1500 in state taxes with the biden forgiveness. He's at the very end of his PSLF journey. He was at the last step when his loans got transferred to mohela or whatever that company is and now its been silent on the progress. He had more than 10 years worth of service. I wouldn't be eligible until Spring 2024. I think he is going to hold out and see his PSLF through, but it would ultimately be cheaper for me to take the Biden forgiveness if I can get it rather than pay a year and a half more of student loans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I was talking to my friend over the weekend and turns out he's getting minorly screwed over because most of his college loans are state loans which aren't eligible for forgiveness, and he mentioned that what little federal loans he had he'd kept paying during the moratorium so he only had a few thousand left.

Anyway thanks to this thread I was able to tell him to contact his loan servicer and get all those pandemic payments refunded, so he's working on that. Just wanted to share the story and thank you all for this resource, it's helping more people than you know!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

Is there any update to this? I have been screwed by this. It seems an incredibly arbitrary and abrupt change in policy.

Nothing yet. It was in response to a lawsuit because the FFEL private loans were issued with private money from lenders and only guaranteed by the federal government. They sued because this would deprive them of money by executive decree without changing the law. The DOE made the change to prevent them from having standing for a law suit that could have gotten the whole thing shut down.

As of now, the only thing the DOE says is that they "have reached out to private FFEL loan holders to discuss ways to provide relief to borrowers who hold their loans," but nothing concrete.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

Nothing yet. It was in response to a lawsuit because the FFEL private loans were issued with private money from lenders and only guaranteed by the federal government. They sued because this would deprive them of money by executive decree without changing the law. The DOE made the change to prevent them from having standing for a law suit that could have gotten the whole thing shut down.

As of now, the only thing the DOE says is that they "have reached out to private FFEL loan holders to discuss ways to provide relief to borrowers who hold their loans," but nothing concrete.
Thank you. Mine originated as Pell grants that I later consolidated with a private entity but that still appear on studentaid.gov. I filed the application for forgiveness anyway but don't expect that to do anything and have 0 expectation that anything useful to me will arise from any discussion between lenders and DOE.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
PSLF form Question:

I work as a civilian for the army, but the EIN doesn't give an address for the Army. Should I use the address of the base I work at or a different address?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I live in Sweden. When I attempt to access the debt relief application page, I get

Is the application closed, or am I screwed because I live overseas now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ofaloaf posted:

I live in Sweden. When I attempt to access the debt relief application page, I get

You need a VPN. I believe they are currently blocking foreign IPs from accessing the application.

Not sure if there is a known work around.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ofaloaf posted:

It is unlikely that the site is blocking foreign IPs- but if you're using a VPN, I suppose it's possible it would be seeing and blocking you because of that.

edit: well, I had things completely reversed. Weird decision to block foreign IPs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Senerio posted:

PSLF form Question:

I work as a civilian for the army, but the EIN doesn't give an address for the Army. Should I use the address of the base I work at or a different address?

If you are uniformed or GS, it's this.
For taxes and PSLF and like purposes:

If you are a non-appropriated fund employee, it's this:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 19, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I know some of the other rules surrounding the PSLF program were loosened, but if you were not making income-based repayments at all (extended graduated payments were made instead), is there any way under the new rules that they qualify as payments? I haven't been able to find anything in the affirmative, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ummel posted:

I know some of the other rules surrounding the PSLF program were loosened, but if you were not making income-based repayments at all (extended graduated payments were made instead), is there any way under the new rules that they qualify as payments? I haven't been able to find anything in the affirmative, unfortunately.

Yes, they should. The Biden admin issued a temporary waiver for PSLF exemptions. You need to check it out before October 31st, though.

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/pslf-limited-waiver