Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RufusTSuperfly/status/1580970711572627456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

icantfindaname posted:

I don't really like Calvin and Hobbes much anymore. Read it as a child but going back it feels very early 90s suburban Republican dad. Like HW Bush or Tim Allen started a comic strip.

bro what the gently caress are you talking about

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

there was an equalizer 2?

there's a tv show too
queen latifah plays denzel in it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I don't really like Calvin and Hobbes much anymore. Read it as a child but going back it feels very early 90s suburban Republican dad. Like HW Bush or Tim Allen started a comic strip. The old school Boomer lib political strips like Doonesbury are superior, I have concluded as an adult

You are loving deranged what the gently caress

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

icantfindaname posted:

I don't really like Calvin and Hobbes much anymore. Read it as a child but going back it feels very early 90s suburban Republican dad. Like HW Bush or Tim Allen started a comic strip. The old school Boomer lib political strips like Doonesbury are superior, I have concluded as an adult

lol.....👌

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

rip. cracker is wonderful

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
calvin: i didn't think hobbes would eat *my* face!!! :unsmigghh:

but yeah what?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

what kind of sick freak likes doonesbury lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Diminishing returns for any but the professional, and the sort of thing that only music people are going to notice. Worth it if you're a gigging and recording musician, but probably not worth it for anyone else

i always laugh at dumb gear snobbery on any field

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've had trouble showing Calvin & Hobbes to my daughter because there are strips where, like, Calvin has created a snowman with a big frown on its face and a hot compress on its head and the joke is that it's committing suicide, and I'm left like "I read this when I was six, what the gently caress" as I flip to a different page

but there is absolutely nothing Republican about it, it ranges from Nader to NPR

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cracker is one of the best shows ever made.

Completely uncompromising, loving smart and mean as poo poo. The exchange from maybe the first episode where he's haranguing his wife's friends for claiming to be leftists but hiring a nanny, just going at them hammer and tongs to get them to admit how much they pay the poor woman and her country of origin like they're in an interrogation room. One half of the couple finally blurts out the answer, I can't remember what, and Coltrane just thinks for a second and says "Well, ideally she should have been a Fillipiiiiiino" in the most withering way possible. So good.

Also the least cop-y cop show imaginable. The first three seasons anyway. I remember that the two specials that followed were kinda poo poo, though the first at least attempted to talk about Hong Kong.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Good soup! posted:

You are loving deranged what the gently caress

More of a vibe than anything, and no I will not be substantiating an argument against C&H any further

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

catching up on House of Dragons. ol boy really hosed up his kingdom and family off some pussy smh

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

I've had trouble showing Calvin & Hobbes to my daughter because there are strips where, like, Calvin has created a snowman with a big frown on its face and a hot compress on its head and the joke is that it's committing suicide, and I'm left like "I read this when I was six, what the gently caress" as I flip to a different page

but there is absolutely nothing Republican about it, it ranges from Nader to NPR

Its definitely for older kids than the 6 year old age that Calvin is. I wasnt even sure if I should be reading all the ultra naughty school stuff Calvin does to my kid lest he gets ideas, but gently caress it, spaceman spiff rules

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

I 100% blame Loony Tunes for my childhood suicide attempts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

catching up on House of Dragons. ol boy really hosed up his kingdom and family off some pussy smh

how far along? the most recent 2-3 eps are really great

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

how far along? the most recent 2-3 eps are really great

just finishing episode 7

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

just finishing episode 7

8's the best of the season

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the princess really hosed her own poo poo up by not finding a blonde dude to get off with

this family can't choose rear end for anything

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Some Guy TT posted:

where did they go

first there was an exodus about 5 years ago and those people formed The Dissolve which was actually a good site but ironically couldn't remain solvent

some of them went crawling back to the AV Club after that and others went elsewhere, then there was the mass exodus a couple years ago that left the AV Club devoid of talent

I haven't followed any of them since then, I don't read reviews anymore and don't know where they landed

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

No one likes Doonesbury you loving freak.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

was Doonesbury the one where the penguin was always smoking grass

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Durf posted:

was Doonesbury the one where the penguin was always smoking grass

no that's bloom county, a funnier comic than doonesbury

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man i can't find it with google image search but in the jon stewart book he had two newspaper comic parodies. one was mallard fillmore of the "liberals liberals LIBERALS!" comic we all know but the second was just a butterfly wafting past the GWBush white house in a parody of doonesbury's overly-droll humor

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i wanted to be a comic artist as a kid and wrote a strip called Rad Rude Rabbit

and my dad was nice enough to arrange an 'interview' with the local paper and the guy let me down but told me to keep trying in the nicest way possible

i kept my Hobbes collection but gave away my 50 garfield ones. tho some of them still make me laugh when i think of them

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I read the poo poo out of Bloom County as a kid and was weirdly referencing Oliver North in 5th grade homework I found and up until this moment I thought Doonesbury was by the same author but like toned down for the sunday comics but nope he just ripped Doonesbury off for a bit lol.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Twigand Berries posted:

I read the poo poo out of Bloom County as a kid and was weirdly referencing Oliver North in 5th grade homework I found and up until this moment I thought Doonesbury was by the same author but like toned down for the sunday comics but nope he just ripped Doonesbury off for a bit lol.

Berkley Breathed brought bloom back but it was all trump-era lib poo poo

he wrote at my college's newspaper, including a prank article which said he released a bunch of alligators in the local lake

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

icantfindaname posted:

it would be pretty funny if bill watterson brought back C&H and reading the new strips it became apparent he's a big time trump/maga guy now

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

it would be pretty funny if bill watterson brought back C&H and reading the new strips it became apparent he's a big time trump/maga guy now

trash

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Bill Watterson rejected society and now lives in the woods, like all great artists should when they run out of art.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
or mathematicians

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

loquacius posted:

mastershakeman posted:

Its definitely for older kids than the 6 year old age that Calvin is. I wasnt even sure if I should be reading all the ultra naughty school stuff Calvin does to my kid lest he gets ideas, but gently caress it, spaceman spiff rules

I was exactly Calvin’s age when I got into c&h and it absolutely gave me bad behavior ideas lol. It balanced out though. The joie de vivre Calvin has riding wagons and sleds down hills and generally being a little poo poo resonated perfectly with me at that age, but his rare moments of humility, empathy and sadness were just as important.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

People in this thread refer to the Mystery Box a lot, can someone explain the rationale behind it? Is surprising reddit and twitter worth undermining characterization to the point where any character could be revealed to have some other identity?
From the horse's mouth (spoilered to preserve the power and wonder of the mystery box):

quote:

“In Tolkien, Sauron is a deceiver and we know that in Second Age he appears in ‘fair form.’ So what if he sneaks up on you and is able to get you to sympathize with him and get you to be on board with him so that once you actually realize who he is, that he’s already got his hooks in you? So it’s not just as easy as, ‘This person is evil, I’m going to back away,’ because you’ve already formed some level of attachment to him. What if we could get the audience to go through a similar journey?”

Many online had guessed Halbrand was Sauron along the way, which showrunners note is just fine with them — the goal wasn’t to fool everybody with a twist that feels totally out of the blue.

“If you had a sneaking suspicion over the course of an entire season, and then that suspicion is ultimately confirmed, that’s an emotional engagement,” Payne says. “Tragedy is one of the highest art forms. There’s a reason people are still putting on Romeo and Juliet hundreds of years after it was written even though you know what happens at the end. A surprise only rewards you on one viewing.”

Llamadeus has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Oct 15, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Suicidal Snowmen is a good bit and a good band name. I can't really remember the difference between being 5 and 10 anymore but I'm pretty sure children aren't that fragile, it's okay to tell them hosed up jokes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the gall to compare your mormon fanfic hour to romeo and juliet

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is growing up reading Calvin and Hobbes why Americans aren't funny?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

america's the funniest thing to ever happen

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Suicidal Snowmen is a good bit and a good band name. I can't really remember the difference between being 5 and 10 anymore but I'm pretty sure children aren't that fragile, it's okay to tell them hosed up jokes.

To be clear my daughter is 2 and I was reading it to her because she pulled it off the bookshelf and asked me to and I did not want to have to explain the concept of suicide to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ok that's pretty drat young.

"do you believe in self harm? because at two it's pretty marginal, right?"