Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
4k 2001 Space oddysey, that 60fps will smith movie. Werewolf by night on Disney+. Dune if you want to see how many shades of brown and orange your tv can show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also joined the LG OLED crew with a 65 inch C2. This thing is crazy. Haven't watched any movies on it yet but gaming in 4k with HDR on from my PC was a revelation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ooh, good call.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

MikusR posted:

4k 2001 Space oddysey, that 60fps will smith movie. Werewolf by night on Disney+. Dune if you want to see how many shades of brown and orange your tv can show.

Yes, Gemini Man is just ok in many departments but it was the most amazing thing I’ve looked at in years. The feeling of this is the future gets rarer for me every year but it definitely instantly qualified.

2nd place is Avatar 4K - colors are very impressive and the clarity is fantastic.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fury Road definitely wins....at being one of the most overrated films of all time. Not good at all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

codo27 posted:

Fury Road definitely wins....at being one of the most overrated films of all time. Not good at all.

true, it doesn't even have ana de armas in it. fail.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

codo27 posted:

I have absolutely no idea why goons seem to like it so much. I was bored out of my head watching it.

At the same time - I assume it would look stupidly good on an OLED.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tony Phillips posted:

I have absolutely no idea why goons seem to like it so much. I was bored out of my head watching it.

I mean not just goons...this is just the commonly held opinion, no? Multiple Oscars, 8.1 on IMDB, 97% RT, etc.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

qbert posted:

I mean not just goons...this is just the commonly held opinion, no? Multiple Oscars, 8.1 on IMDB, 97% RT, etc.

Yeah the goony reaction is to say super acclaimed and popular thing is bad, actually.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hoping there’s some new stock for 48 inch C1s lying around for Black Friday this year. I really want one now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah the goony reaction is to say super acclaimed and popular thing is bad, actually.

Touché.

I wanted to like it. Honestly. New mad max movie? What’s not to love? Ehhh. Didn’t do it for me. Still probably a great choice to try out a new TV though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Touché.

I wanted to like it. Honestly. New mad max movie? What’s not to love? Ehhh. Didn’t do it for me. Still probably a great choice to try out a new TV though.

I liked it. It was fun. The crazy cars were cool. The villain was appropriately insane. It wasn't a great movie but it wasn't a terrible way to kill 2 hours.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Looking for a recommendation for ~55inch TV in the ~$800 range. We have a sound bar we picked up at a garage sale for 20 bucks so speakers aren't really an issue.

Feel free to link a previous post if it's already been covered.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You can get a 55 in the $300 range. More important are the features you want and use case.

I.e. "Give me something cheap to put in the home gym" vs "I have an extensive Criterion collection"

Case in point:
a cheap but little tech-dated set for a song and a dance, $300
Hisense U7 55" at Costco - $600

Or stretch that wallet and enter the OLED club :kamina:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 15, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's the primary television for the house, for use in the living room and watching all the nice things and playing PS4.

Edit: I guess 800-900 is near the top of my budget, but if I can get a solid unit for cheaper I'll be happy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's the primary television for the house, for use in the living room and watching all the nice things and playing PS4.

Edit: I guess 800-900 is near the top of my budget, but if I can get a solid unit for cheaper I'll be happy.

The Hisense U8H is $700 on Amazon and is probably the best tv you can get around that price range.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

LG A2 is $900. It doesn't do 4k with 120hz, but it is OLED. Probably the best overall picture quality for the price range you're looking at.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-a2-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6501901.p?skuId=6501901

I don't wanna be 'that guy' and nudge you into going over budget, but Best Buy also has the Sony A80J for $999 right now which is a deep discount and in my opinion an excellent 'no compromises' option.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-bravia-xr-a80j-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6455217.p?skuId=6455217

But to make your wallet feel good the Hisense U8H still has a great screen. Can't go wrong. $700
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-u8h-series-quantum-uled-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6511973.p?skuId=6511973

edit: beaten by a few seconds? thats wild

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The 55" Hisense U8H is $649 at best Buy.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
If I wasn't spoiled by my S95B the U8H would be my pick for a smaller budget, they've been sold out of 65'' for a while and the 75'' is backordered on Amazon.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" C2 $1600 $1800 shipped - and the 55" is $1200 $1350 shipped

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 18, 2022

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
The Lowe’s site lists the 55” at the seemingly standard $1,350. Guess I missed it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Looks like both prices went up, bummer.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks to a new contract, I’m getting a couple of years of back pay at work so I decided to treat myself to a 55” C2. I’m coming from a LG that’s about 10 years old so I’m excited about finally seeing what a decent television has to offer but have a couple of questions.

1. The only think I’ve own that played 4k is my pc monitor so what’s the best way to get media on the TV? I don’t have cable, for live tv I use IPTV and it’s not available on my service. Is there a provider that offers 4k and do they have enough content to make it worth it? I plan on connecting my digital PS5, Xbox series X, and NVIDIA Shield pro so I’m assuming they will have some options to purchase 4k content to download. I also have an old PS3 I can hook up for blu-rays.

2. Speaking of the Shield Pro, I’ve gotten used to that over the years and like it. Any draw backs to using that instead of the smart tv features on the C2?

3. Finally, after buying and while waiting for it to ship I’ve gone down a rabbit hole of reading about burn in. Is that really something I should worry about? I’ve had an OLED Vita since launch and back in the day played it a lot and never experienced burn in. I’m sure OLED has advanced since then but I guess I just need some reassurance. I thought I was covered with the 5 year Costco warranty but it seems that it doesn’t cover burn in.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can keep using your Shield as always. You should be able to find 4K content on it.

I'm weary of burn in but others here will tell you its not worth worrying about.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Weary = tired
Wary = apprehensive, cautious

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

loudog999 posted:

Thanks to a new contract, I’m getting a couple of years of back pay at work so I decided to treat myself to a 55” C2. I’m coming from a LG that’s about 10 years old so I’m excited about finally seeing what a decent television has to offer but have a couple of questions.

1. The only think I’ve own that played 4k is my pc monitor so what’s the best way to get media on the TV? I don’t have cable, for live tv I use IPTV and it’s not available on my service. Is there a provider that offers 4k and do they have enough content to make it worth it? I plan on connecting my digital PS5, Xbox series X, and NVIDIA Shield pro so I’m assuming they will have some options to purchase 4k content to download. I also have an old PS3 I can hook up for blu-rays.

2. Speaking of the Shield Pro, I’ve gotten used to that over the years and like it. Any draw backs to using that instead of the smart tv features on the C2?

3. Finally, after buying and while waiting for it to ship I’ve gone down a rabbit hole of reading about burn in. Is that really something I should worry about? I’ve had an OLED Vita since launch and back in the day played it a lot and never experienced burn in. I’m sure OLED has advanced since then but I guess I just need some reassurance. I thought I was covered with the 5 year Costco warranty but it seems that it doesn’t cover burn in.

I love my Shield TV Pro on my C1. It’s better than using the Smart TV apps due to a better processor.

All the major streaming services have a ton of 4K content: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc. You can also buy UHDs and play them on your PS5 if you want.

Burn in is not really something to worry too much about, the C2 has a lot of anti burn in features.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Game-Blouses posted:

My 65” LG C1 just started showing a thin, vertical, black line. Tried fully unplugging. Didn’t do a restore or pixel scrub yet. I got it last November. Anyone seen or experience this? If a restore doesn’t fix it, would it suit me to take it up with Best Buy or LG directly?

Kind of a lovely pic, but you get the idea!

Hi everyone, just wanted to provide an update in the event this happens to someone else. I went to Best Buy, who told me to go through LG since I didn’t get the Best Buy protection plan.

I filled out some info online and attached pictures. LG set me up with the territory repair tech. As soon as the new screen came in, they came over and replaced the screen in about 40 mins. That included taking it off the wall mount and remounting at the end. Pretty seamless experience.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I just got my 77 a80j setup and I'm watching fury road in HDR and I'm laughing irl joker's style at how insane it looks. Never viewed an OLED before this, and poo poo brother!!!!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mister Facetious posted:

- source: bhphoto

:shepicide:

Does not include mdf cabinet stand, sold separately.

Before lcd, televisions were furniture, not appliances.

Bro do yo uneven lift? TVs from the 90s?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Bro do yo uneven lift? TVs from the 90s?

(It's from the 2000s :ssh: )

Not after the first time I tried to get one up a three storey walkup.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just got my LG C2. It is awesome.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Hell yeah. I christened my OLED with top gun maverick in 4k hdr and it rocked

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I had two go-tos for breaking in an OLED which I still stand by;

1) Into the Spiderverse. Just a nonstop firehouse of colour and also generally a masterpiece.

2) Hollow Knight. Not even in HDR, it's just, the whole game is full of stuff melting into perfect inky blackness.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

I just got my 77 a80j setup and I'm watching fury road in HDR and I'm laughing irl joker's style at how insane it looks. Never viewed an OLED before this, and poo poo brother!!!!

Hell yeah, that was my first film on my A80J, same experience here. So great.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dune is (unsurprisingly) stunning as well. Definitely gonna have to revisit Fury Road and Spiderverse

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fedule posted:

1) Into the Spiderverse. Just a nonstop firehouse of colour and also generally a masterpiece.

Also a nause inducing choppiness and color fringing

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

48" A2 $570 shipped

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Alita battle angel looked insane in 4k HDR remux, highly recommended.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Alita battle angel looked insane in 4k HDR remux, highly recommended.

Is the movie itself any good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Is the movie itself any good though

I went in expecting it to suck and it was actually pretty good. Feels like only part of a movie though because of the way it sets up sequels that will never happen.