Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Koos Group posted:

True as well, but what I'm saying is that Ukraine's claim to it is illegitimate also. So it comes down to which principle one prioritizes more highly.

Is Crimea voting in favor of the Ukrainian independence referendum not a basis for a legitimate claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Koos Group posted:

You're correct that with how international law is currently interpreted, Ukraine would be justified in retaking Crimea. But self-determination would absolutely have something to do with it because Crimea's would be violated, and self-determination is also a guiding principle in international law as well as, more importantly, an arguable human right or consequence of human rights.

True as well, but what I'm saying is that Ukraine's claim to it is illegitimate also. So it comes down to which principle one prioritizes more highly.

At this point, "self-determination" in Crimea is meaningless because of the ethnic cleansing that Russia has been doing. People who wanted to stay with Ukraine have been removed, while Russian sympathizers have been moved in.

Arguing in favor of Crimean self-determination now just makes you another Russian propagandist. It is the only argument in Russia's favor, and it has been deliberately tainted by Russian actions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^This too

Koos Group posted:

I also believe the annexation was a magnificent move on Russia's part

I want to circle back to this because just...what?

Like you seem to have this wierd thing where you are fixated on self determination... but Russia just taking Crimea was rad and you see no contradiction? What

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Koos Group posted:

You're correct that with how international law is currently interpreted, Ukraine would be justified in retaking Crimea. But self-determination would absolutely have something to do with it because Crimea's would be violated, and self-determination is also a guiding principle in international law as well as, more importantly, an arguable human right or consequence of human rights.

You keep using self-determination of a occupied region as the lynchpin to this line of thought. I don't think you know what it means.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Charlotte Hornets posted:

At the summit of the CIS Council of Heads of State, Emomali Rahmon personally addressed the President of Russia.

[…]

Are we some kind of foreigners on a par with African countries?"

Big yikes. Saying the quiet part out loud.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Koos Group posted:

But self-determination would absolutely have something to do with it because Crimea's would be violated
What the hell are you talking about? Stop carrying water for Russian propagandists.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, this has nothing to do with self-determination at this point.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arzachel posted:

What about the self-determination of the Crimean people who fled the invasion or got ethnically cleansed in the 8 years since

I'd actually be curious what the numbers on those are, but I suspect the answer is "gently caress if we know, partly because there's no reason for the Russian administration to evaluate or accurately report those numbers". Maybe some human rights org did a study? It's been almost a decade.

also to my understanding very few Tatars emigrated and their approval of Russia is very low; they're not exactly a majority, due to Russian actions over the last couple centuries, which is why they're getting hosed with yet again

one assumes you were talking more about non-tatar anti-russian crimean Ukrainians, and I don't really know beans about that demographic

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 15, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crow Buddy posted:

You keep using self-determination of a occupied region as the lynchpin to this line of thought. I don't think you know what it means.

Self-determination is when remnants of an imperial center's settler-colonial program can get the empire to reabsorb them in areas of local concentration so they don't have to deal with the natives who they perceive to be racially inferior being in charge, including when they use militias and regular army of that imperial center to ethnically cleanse other regions to extend this process further, isn't it?

... Personally, though, I think self-determination requires presence of a democracy that guarantees basic civil rights and is incompatible with a dictatorship based on cultural genocide, but what do I know?

Edit: unrelated... or, on second thought, very much related:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Big yikes. Saying the quiet part out loud.
I am a bit surprised you don't know this (but perhaps your username incorrectly suggests your background), but this sort of anti-black racism is not really the quiet part in the region (including in Ukraine) --- racism is widespread, and there is little social approbation towards this sort of statement. It is somewhat ironic to see it coming from Central Asians who themselves are generally discriminated brutally against, though.

(Ukrainians are in a weird spot in the Sovietesque racial hierarchy since an assimilated Ukrainian would be considered practically as good as a Russian, but one who speaks Ukrainian would be viewed as a primitive illiterate peasant rube. This explains a lot about this conflict. See also the link I posted earlier about attitudes in Kazakhstan).

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 15, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd actually be curious what the numbers on those are, but I suspect the answer is "gently caress if we know, partly because there's no reason for the Russian administration to evaluate or accurately report those numbers". Maybe some human rights org did a study? It's been almost a decade.

also to my understanding very few Tatars emigrated and their approval of Russia is very low; they're not exactly a majority, due to Russian actions over the last couple centuries, which is why they're getting hosed with yet again

one assumes you were talking more about non-tatar anti-russian crimean Ukrainians, and I don't really know beans about that demographic

My personal experience having a home in Crimea (parents and siblings still live there) is that the Tatars were coming back, slowly, before the Russian vote was held. There were small Tatar villages around the area, mosques, and schools.

Once Russia took over, folks that were thinking of moving to Crimea cancelled those plans.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

James Garfield posted:

Is Crimea voting in favor of the Ukrainian independence referendum not a basis for a legitimate claim?

I would say it's not as relevant as the later referendum, since it was decades earlier and not about the same issue. But that referendum as a whole would certainly serve as one of many bases for how wrong what Russia's doing currently is.

sean10mm posted:

I want to circle back to this because just...what?

Like you seem to have this wierd thing where you are fixated on self determination... but Russia just taking Crimea was rad and you see no contradiction? What

Yes, as I tried to express in the post I cross-quoted from EE, the indications we have seem to show that Crimea wanted to be part of Russia.

Deteriorata posted:

At this point, "self-determination" in Crimea is meaningless because of the ethnic cleansing that Russia has been doing. People who wanted to stay with Ukraine have been removed, while Russian sympathizers have been moved in.

Arguing in favor of Crimean self-determination now just makes you another Russian propagandist. It is the only argument in Russia's favor, and it has been deliberately tainted by Russian actions.

Ethnic cleansing does make the matter more complicated, as saying that a majority must own a country even if they invaded encourages settler colonialism. Though that isn't the case with Crimea since it appears to have wanted to join Russia before that occurred (assuming the ethnic cleansing you describe happened after the annexation). Regardless, your point about it being tainted by Russia's actions in the interim is well taken and I've been trying to emphasize that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spacetoaster posted:

My personal experience having a home in Crimea (parents and siblings still live there) is that the Tatars were coming back, slowly, before the Russian vote was held. There were small Tatar villages around the area, mosques, and schools.

Once Russia took over, folks that were thinking of moving to Crimea cancelled those plans.

oh that's interesting, and a bummer

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Koos Group posted:

I would say it's not as relevant as the later referendum, since it was decades earlier and not about the same issue. But that referendum as a whole would certainly serve as one of many bases for how wrong what Russia's doing currently is.

Yes, as I tried to express in the post I cross-quoted from EE, the indications we have seem to show that Crimea wanted to be part of Russia.

Ethnic cleansing does make the matter more complicated, as saying that a majority must own a country even if they invaded encourages settler colonialism. Though that isn't the case with Crimea since it appears to have wanted to join Russia before that occurred (assuming the ethnic cleansing you describe happened after the annexation). Regardless, your point about it being tainted by Russia's actions in the interim is well taken and I've been trying to emphasize that.

u know that crimea voted along with the rest of ukraine for independence from the soviet union, right. and by a significant margin, too

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
like they already had a referenda on being part of russia, and they decided not to be. now that russia has spent a decade forcibly occupying them, hunting down and disappearing even mildly pro-Ukraine folks and driving out the people who lived there, the suggestion is that the first referenda doesn't count and they need a new one?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

like they already had a referenda on being part of russia, and they decided not to be. now that russia has spent a decade forcibly occupying them, hunting down and disappearing even mildly pro-Ukraine folks and driving out the people who lived there, the suggestion is that the first referenda doesn't count and they need a new one?

No no no, the suggestion is the first referendum doesn't count, but various polls including most post annexation are what should be respected.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

u know that crimea voted along with the rest of ukraine for independence from the soviet union, right. and by a significant margin, too

Yes, that's what James Garfield was referring to.

Not from me. I was satisfied with the explanations for why there shouldn't be further referenda when I first posted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Maidan and the responsive invasion also weren't the first action by Russia in this direction. The prior static nature of Ukraine, including the disposition of Crimea, was the product of generations of much more proximate and direct propaganda and influence and russification activity than anything the US gets.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
forcibly invading an area and disappearing a significant amount of the original population is not normally how you signal to an area that you care about its self determination

it's how you signal that your intention is to forcibly annex them regardless of what they want

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It’s difficult to come by those numbers, since Ukrainian government didn’t have a functioning IDP database until 2016, 2 years after the annexation. In terms of officially registered IDPs from the non-government controlled areas of Donbas and Crimea, as of February 15, 2022, the number was 1.5 million, with the estimate for unregistered IDPs being in the hundreds of thousands. Of the known number, I haven’t seen clean stats by source region, but the figure thrown around the most for Crimea is 100k. Based on profiling, roughly 1/4 of that should be Crimean Tatars, but for them there’s a frequently cited figure of 50k refugees on the mainland, 1/6th of their known population in Crimea, so if we extend the profiling ratios to that, we are at about 200k displaced from Crimea.

2014 population figure was 2.2 million, meaning that 10% of the population (a group anywhere between 30 and 60% the size of the estimated real turnout of the “referendum”), left predominantly before Russia formalised the annexation. An additional number of Crimeans did leave the peninsula in the subsequent years, by means of fleeing to Ukraine, getting deported by the Russian state, or relocating somewhere else due to the rough local economy in the initial years. Based on what I know of the circumstances of a deported friend of mine, I’d estimate the deported population to be around ~50k. Let’s assume then that the total loss of Crimean pre-annexation population is 350k, handwaving away mortality and whatnot.

That leaves us at 1.9 million expected population. According to Russian government, the peninsula has 2.4 million permanent residents (tax registration address in Crimea), whereas the most recent Ukrainian estimates I’ve seen place the population of the peninsula at 3.1 million. With either of these two numbers, the entire thing on the whole is a carbon copy of USSR’s Russification of the Baltics in the 40s.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 15, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thanks for the numbers post

e: also looks like i was terribly wrong on the tatars

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

For connoisseurs of Ukraine's historical complexity:
https://snyder.substack.com/p/russias-crimea-disconnect?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean if you want to know what a fair democratic independence referendum looks like, the best example I can think of is Brexit . . .and even that was deeply influenced by Russian influence campaigns. Maybe Irish or Scottish independence?

Either way I think you probably need at least a generation of peace first, possibly more.

Montenegro, maybe

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
What if administration of Crimea could be handed off to a neutral third party that also is indigenous to it (Greece) as part of a peace deal? Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

adebisi lives posted:

What if administration of Crimea could be handed off to a neutral third party that also is indigenous to it (Greece) as part of a peace deal? Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

That would require one to credulously believe that Russia invaded and annexed Crimea for humanitarian reasons to protect the population from the Ukrainian Nazis in Kyiv, and not for the colonialist reason that they wanted it for themselves.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

adebisi lives posted:

Technically Turkey is supposed to have it. Plus the Crimean Tatars have a much better claim than the Greeks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Shall we go back to Scythia? Crimea is part of Ukraine. If Ukraine wants to liberate it from Russian occupation, we should support them doing so. Russia's success at genocide there should not change that point of view, if for no other reason than we all have an incentive to dissuade tyrants from doing such evil in the world.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

National self determination is, at least 70% of the time, a racist lie. The only exception is when there is an actual genocide being threatened. As the status of Russian speakers was fine and essentially unchanged since 1990, despite the propaganda, it does not really matter what anyone there thought.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

while this is an excellent essay i cannot restrain myself from a quibble, and in fairness, this is dnd

quote:

In my office I have a printed edition of a kitab, a Crimean Tatar prayer book from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, using Arabic script, but in a Polish-Belarusian language with Turkish phrases. Its first words, enticingly, are "This is the key to heaven." It bespeaks a coherent Crimean Tatar culture that endured for centuries extended well beyond the borders of the Crimean Khanate itself.

kitab literally means book :mad:

otoh it's a very solid point outside of the amusing linguistic error

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Intro and excerpts as I decide etc blah.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3189340/senior-military-official-holds-a-background-briefing-on-ukraine/

Highlights/Other:
Other
-There was a separate brief with the Deputy Pentagon Press Secretary, and she was asked every which way what the deal is with SpaceX and demands for payments, and all she could really say was that the DOD is talking to SpaceX regarding Starlink. About something. For some reason. And that Starlink service in Ukraine has been funded by some private people at least in part. And maybe the US government, but didn't know for sure. And that she hadn't seen all of Elon Musk's tweets. It was weird and can be read here if you like https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3189495/sabrina-singh-deputy-pentagon-press-secretary-holds-a-press-briefing/
Latest PDA: https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3189571/725-million-in-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

SMO:
-Russia's use of precision-guided munitionis (PGMs) has been indiscriminate and imprecise. "Most" of the recent strikes struck civilians and/or civilian infrastructure. Some of this is the result of indiscriminate targeting. Other times Russia appears deliberately to target civilians, with the specific examples given of electricity, bridges, etc.
-Kharkiv: Lines are mostly static, and Russia is digging in. Not zero movement but "really limited in terms of movement this week."
-Bakhmut: Russia has made "very small" gains around Bakhmut. Sometimes Ukraine counterattacks and retakes land. "All of those attacks on both sides are coming with pretty high impact in terms of the employment of artillery and the losses to the sides who are making those advances."
-Zaporizhzhia: No real movement of the line. "We have seen artillery that's landed in and around the Zaporizhzhia area, but nothing that's caused us a great concern over the week. "
-Kherson: Ukraine has gained from the north toward Kherson. Not a lot of advancement but "some" on the central approach to Kherson. Russia has established new lines in Kherson defense since this started six weeks ago, but will need to make a decision on how/'where to defend along the Kherson axis. Neither side really making a move at the edge of Kherson city itself.
-Of ~80 missiles fired by Russia in the first 24 hours of retaliation over Kerch strait bridge [My note: SMO did not confirm that Ukraine attacked Kerch Strait bridge, though refers to Russia retaliation in response to bridge attack], roughly half reported intercepted. Ukraine likely firing more than one SAM in many of those defensive engagements, which is part of why Ukraine requires air defense support.
-SMO does not comment on whether or not the Ukrainian assessment of Russia's remaining stock of PGMs is accurate. Says it is telling that Russia is now relying on Iranian one-way attack UAS.
-SMO on Starlink: It is very useful to be able to communicate. Did not want to address questions on Musk and his recent comments
-The press had a lot of questions about air defense, but the SMO today wasn't terribly knowledgeable on air defense specifics and wasn't sharing what are probably still ongoing somewhat sensitive discussions of who can/will/might provide what and when

quote:

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Thanks, (inaudible). Hi, everybody. How are you? This is -- this is different for me, so I'll get to see you all roll your eyes when I -- when I give you the answer that you may not want, as opposed to just doing it on the phone.

So this is the 233rd day of Russia's illegal, unprovoked large-scale invasion of Ukraine, and a lot of activity this week, as you all know, overseas in Europe in terms of folks who have gathered, and a number of press engagements. So quite honestly, other than maybe some atmospherics on the ground, I'm probably not going to give you a great amount of things that will be helpful, right? I hate to say that up front, but I'll certainly talk to what I can talk to.

We do assess that the Ukrainians continue to make some advances on the battlefield, and I'm very happy to talk about what we're seeing in that regard. We also have seen, as you know, particularly since the attack at the Kerch Strait Bridge last week, we've seen the Russians continue to retaliate. The use of precision-guided munitions in a very imprecise way has continued over the course of the week. I think it's fair to say we're in the hundreds in terms of the number of missiles that the Russians have launched against Ukrainian targets, and in many -- in most, I would tell you, cases, they have been used at civilian targets either indiscriminately or certainly in a deliberate way, as it relates to infrastructure targets like electricity or bridges or otherwise. And as you've heard others other than me talk about, certainly, in violation of what the international rules of war stand for.

Around the battlefield, so just working kind of north to south, in Kharkiv, we've seen limited Ukrainian gains over the course of the week. We have seen the Russians continue to strengthen their defenses in the Kharkiv area, and so it's at a stop, is probably the wrong term. There are some very minor incremental gains, really, all the way from the northern portion of the Kharkiv area of operation down towards Lyman, but really limited in terms of movement this week.

In Bakhmut it's similar, but the other way. So we've seen -- so now moving down to -- the center portion of the eastern front there around Bakhmut, we've seen the Russians continue to work to attack the Ukrainians around Bakhmut. Those gains have also been very small for the Russians, and in times we've seen the Ukrainians counterattack with effectiveness to retake land that the Russians had previously taken. All of those attacks on both sides are coming with pretty high impact in terms of the employment of artillery and the losses to the sides who are making those advances.

Nothing really new in Zaporizhzhia in terms of advances. You know, like you all, we continue to watch Zaporizhzhia with added care, just given the nuclear power plant. We have seen artillery that's landed in and around the Zaporizhzhia area, but nothing that's caused us a great concern over the week.

And then in Kherson, probably more movement in Kherson than anywhere else on the battlespace. And so Kherson, if you describe it, has three different axes in the Kherson area of operation: the north, the central and the south. We've seen them continue to advance in the north, and so we have seen gains in the north now. Really, the line of advance for the Ukrainians just north of the city of Milove, or Milove, -- however you'd like to pronounce it, all of them probably incorrect.

And then extending, essentially, to the north and west with a number of small towns and villages that the Ukrainians have been able to clear of the Russians, and the Russians have moved back from what was their front lines as they reestablish front lines after the beginning of this six weeks ago, and are establishing defenses further south. So the Ukrainians now continue to advance on that northern axis, but at the same time, we've seen incremental gains in that central axis. So not a lot of advancement, but some. So we're talking kilometers as they move. And what you're seeing, if you'd put that on a map and there are a number of good ones out there -- but if you look at that on a map, you're getting these two coinciding axes that are starting to force the Russians to make some decisions in terms of how they want to choose to defend.

It's also placed a good portion of that battlespace under artillery range of standard artillery, not GMLRS. And so you've seen them employ fewer GMLRS recently because they just don't need to. They can range the Russian targets they want to hit with standard artillery.

And then outside Kherson city itself, not a huge number of movements outside of Kherson city in terms of the Ukrainians, but certainly, not any Russian gains in that portion of the battlespace.

In the maritime environment, so about a half-dozen ships that are underway for the Russians. That does include Kalibr-capable ships. I'll say about half of those that are Kalibr-capable. We did get indications yesterday of some Kalibr missiles being fired from the sea, and our understanding is that they were all intercepted by the Ukrainian air defenses. And then we continue to train.

I'll hold there. I'm happy to talk about what I know anything about, and so I'll pass it back to (inaudible).

Q: Hi, thank you very much for doing this. As you mentioned, the Russian -- the distance between the two forces is closing in right now in this part of the battle. Does that change the Ukrainians' immediate needs? Instead of having a longer range rocket or missile, are there other things you're looking at that might be more advantageous for this particular phase?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes, ma'am. It's a good question, and certainly a lot of conversation in the past week about what the Ukrainians would need for the longer term. I think the biggest piece -- and it was discussed in great detail last week -- or this week in Europe has been air defense.

You know, if you look at -- and I'll just give you a 24 hour period. In that first period of retaliation, 80-plus missiles that were fired at the Ukrainians at all sorts of different targets -- and roughly 40 of those, so 50 percent-ish, were intercepted by Ukrainian air defenses.

What I don't know is how many missiles are fired at one inbound missile. And so you can assume it's more than one, in a lot of cases. And so just every time, you know, they employ one, it -- it certainly increases the need to replace that.

You know, that's one thing that -- you know, if you look at the Russians and their conduct of this fight, what's different in the conduct of this fight that is different, say, in some of the events that we've fought in over the past -- go back a long way -- is the ability to establish air superiority.

The Russians have never been able to do that, and that changes the character of -- of the fight on the ground. We have always, up to this point, been able to do that and that -- that changes. And I'd just tell you, having been in a bunch of them, the fact that you don't have to be concerned with something above you in large measure changes the fight. And so the Russians have never been able to get that.

The conversation this week about the criticality of air defense goes straight to that, I believe.

Q: (Inaudible) average of -- of roughly -- the 80 missiles that were fired, do you have a sense of what types of missiles the Russians are firing?

And there's been a lot of chatter about the Russian stockpiles are dwindling. Is that what you're seeing, based on what they're firing at these targets?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: I think -- I haven't seen this but I was told that the Ukrainians released some views as to what they believe the munitions totals are for the Russians. I don't know what those are, quite honestly, but I do know that the numbers of precision missiles that the Russians have fired since the beginning of the fight are pretty extensive, and I think the fact that they're now going to the Iranians to use drones speaks to their concern associated with precision munitions.

So every one of them fired is probably a very careful consideration for the Russians. If you look at -- and I'm not an economics expert certainly -- but if you look at the sanctions, you have to believe that the sanctions are having an impact on their defense industrial base and the ability to regenerate, in particular, those precision munitions, so.

Q: (Inaudible), you -- a couple of days ago mentioned the need for an integrated air defense system. At the Joint Staff level, what are you doing? What would the -- what would an integrated air defense system look like in three weeks that you don't have now, or three months? And what will the NASAMS system give the Ukrainians by way of capability that they do not now possess, once it's delivered?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So on the last one, sir -- and I'm not an expert on NASAMS, other than some of the ranges in particular -- but I think it -- it adds to their ability to kind of layer their defenses. And so if you look at some of the higher end systems they have, they're able to detect targets further out, to choose the type of munitions that they want to use against various targets, depending on how far out they can -- they can pick it up.

A great example would be if I can determine that something is a helicopter vice an airplane or a cruise missile, I then can choose the type of munition to employ against it with better effectiveness. So using, as an example -- and I'll use an example from somewhere else -- if I was to take a quadcopter and shoot a quadcopter down with a Patriot missile, that's a pretty bad choice. And so in a different way, they're able to generally choose to do the same things.

Now, the integrated air and missile defense system allows them greater ability to do that. So if they can determine you know, we generally know where an opponent flies. They can -- if they can integrate all of their different layers of air defense, then it allows them to make those kinds of decisions.

I don't know if I described that very well or not.

Q: -- integrated air defense system now with the capabilities they have in their country (inaudible) what's been provided today?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: You know, sir, just watching what they're doing, it's hard to believe that it's nascent. I mean, I think they clearly understand and have understood the criticality of air defenses for a while. If they didn't, I think we would go back to that air superiority conversation and you'd see the Russians have a much greater opportunity to interdict what they're doing with air power.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

e: nm

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while this is an excellent essay i cannot restrain myself from a quibble, and in fairness, this is dnd

I also found it strange that Snyder claimed Putin has nothing to say about the future, when he himself calls Putin a fascist.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

GreyjoyBastard posted:

quote:

In my office I have a printed edition of a kitab, a Crimean Tatar prayer book from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania

Aka the "Tatar Source"

adebisi lives posted:

This sounds like a proposal that nobody in the conflict would like and relies on the idea that compromise with a solidly bad faith actor is the "perfect" to the merely "good" of resisting their invasion and driving them off

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sorry guys Ukraine is now called Amazon Prime and they all speak Finnish now. Such is the price of peace.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Koos Group posted:

I believe the Tatars should also be able to self-determine but that's a separate issue from the Crimeans who want to be Russian.

I'm a loving idiot with a stupid brain, so you'll have to bear with me, but I can't quite puzzle out what this would actually entail. None of the plausible candidates I can come up with sound particularly good for Crimean Tatars.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m about to Prime Same Day Shipping this conversation into Leper’s.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm a loving idiot with a stupid brain, so you'll have to bear with me, but I can't quite puzzle out what this would actually entail. None of the plausible candidates I can come up with sound particularly good for Crimean Tatars.

I mean this is sorta the flaw with the idea of national self determination as a principle. It only works with big identities that are capable of creating homogeneity.

The non-philosophical answer though is Ukraine. They've adopted, pragmatically but genuinely, a extremely pro-Crimean Tatar policy after the annexation.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

'In my office I have a printed edition of a book, a Crimean Tatar prayer book...'

That seems fine to me. It's a printed book and not a manuscript. Implying that it's one of many that were made from a press, which reinforces his point.

Or are you saying that the word kitab can only ever refer to a printed book?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Family Values posted:

'In my office I have a printed edition of a book, a Crimean Tatar prayer book...'

That seems fine to me. It's a printed book and not a manuscript. Implying that it's one of many that were made from a press, which reinforces his point.

Or are you saying that the word kitab can only ever refer to a printed book?

eh, not worth squabbling about i suppose

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

This is a very good article and I think everyone should read it.

I like the point at the end where I think the author really hits it on the head about how empty Putin’s imperialism is, and thus partly why it’s failing; that it’s imperialism for imperialism’s sake, or maybe just imperialism for Vladimir Putin’s sake.

The Soviet Union could at least try to justify its imperialism with a grand narrative of spreading Communism. The US justified and justifies its imperialist actions by claiming to stand for the Western liberal order or more shallowly to at least be anti-Communist. Putin’s Russia doesn’t have any grand narrative for why it ought to be conquering its neighbor. Maybe if he lived 200 years ago he could claim he was doing it all in the name of Christianity, but nobody buys that kind of stuff now. But aside from some lovely lies about Nazis that only fool his domestic audience because he controls the media there, Putin doesn’t appear to have any ideological narrative to propagandize why he ought to conquer half of Ukraine, other than that it would make Russia look bigger on a map. And I really do think that’s a big part of why it’s all failing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

As practically 90%+ wars in history have demonstrated, you really don't need an ideology beyond nationalism to justify a war to your citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I honestly think that Putin didn't ever think that he'd have to do anything more than do a typical mobster-style shakeup on the geopolitical scale, but that failed and now he has to scrounge up some of the lingering ethnonationalist lore off the ground and try to shape that into anything coherent.