Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I think there’s a room you can build in your freighter that’ll handle exocraft duties on any planet while the freighter is in the system.

Yeah, it's this and as long as each exocraft is built somewhere in the universe, you can summon them on any planet if your freighter is in the same system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trying to appease the people who feel harmed by other players turning down the difficulty setting with these badges is a bad idea, but obviously Holocaust comparisons are really stupid and offensive.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Just started getting into this on switch and really loving it. I just got my first freighter but I can’t tell if things are working as intended or it’s a bug. It only has 1 light year jump range without unlocking the first hyperdrive mod, but I can’t figure out how to get the frigate salvage to research that first tech. I’ve read that frigate expeditions can reward them but I have yet to get any.

Is my freighter just stuck in that system until I can research and build that hyperdrive module?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pikey posted:

Just started getting into this on switch and really loving it. I just got my first freighter but I can’t tell if things are working as intended or it’s a bug. It only has 1 light year jump range without unlocking the first hyperdrive mod, but I can’t figure out how to get the frigate salvage to research that first tech. I’ve read that frigate expeditions can reward them but I have yet to get any.

Is my freighter just stuck in that system until I can research and build that hyperdrive module?

Freighters are a bit counter-intuitive, in that they are kind of like a big space-based building that you tug around behind you, for the first part of the game.

When your little ship is in space, you can use the menu to summon your freighter to you, for free, at just about any time. It doesn't matter what system you last summoned it in, you can never lose it or accidentally leave it behind. Warping your freighter from inside the freighter is something you unlock later (and frankly doesn't have much benefit, beyond time-saving).

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The only caveat about summoning your freighter is that you need special upgrades to summon it into red, green, and blue star systems. Yellow stars are always good to go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pikey posted:

Salvaged frigate modules are best found from either Nexus missions (that cube in the middle of the anomaly) or from 'industrial' frigate expeditions. The latter are of course passive quests that your frigates do for you.

Also, when sending out frigates on an expedition make sure your star rating is at least one star greater than the missions itself (so if you want to do a 2 star mission, make sure the fleet you're sending adds up to at least 3 stars).

Those are the only somewhat reliable way to get salvaged frigate modules. Might be able to get some from derelict freighters.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also carry a massive exocraft summoning device in your pocket, unfold it anywhere, summon your exocraft, then fold the thing back up into your pocket. Then, as long as you're on the same planet, you can resummon the exocraft at will.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

doctorfrog posted:

Then, as long as you're on the same planet, you can resummon the exocraft at will.

Wiki says if you're within 750m of your deployed Exocraft, or have the Summoning building placed

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Welp, just outed myself as a sedentary player

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seriously, just build the exocraft station on your freighter, build each exocraft on some dumpy base on some rock anywhere, and then you can summon them. It's the easiest way to do it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm stuck in the old ways of using my freighter as a bookmark to a system I wish to return to but yeah it's a good idea.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

marktheando posted:

Trying to appease the people who feel harmed by other players turning down the difficulty setting with these badges is a bad idea, but obviously Holocaust comparisons are really stupid and offensive.

yea i dont care about the badges but also i dont understand why anyone cares about what difficulty setting anyone else uses. like in a competitive game that makes sense but thats not what this is

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Didn't realize I had lost my NEXT-era save in transferring from ps4 to ps5, rip all of my cool cosmetics and dashboard ornaments i guess.

Excited about my new game after spending however many hours drop pod farming, but holy poo poo I need to find a wiring loom recipe since everything that breaks requires at least one. Also one of my ship components requires an activated chromatic and I have no means to acquire it yet, which means I've got to hobble along with a busted ship upgrade :thunkgun:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Didn't realize I had lost my NEXT-era save in transferring from ps4 to ps5, rip all of my cool cosmetics and dashboard ornaments i guess.

Excited about my new game after spending however many hours drop pod farming, but holy poo poo I need to find a wiring loom recipe since everything that breaks requires at least one. Also one of my ship components requires an activated chromatic and I have no means to acquire it yet, which means I've got to hobble along with a busted ship upgrade :thunkgun:

slicing up eyeballs posted:

There is no wiring loom recipe unless you mod it in.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I dip into PSVR from time to time but I'm not serious about that save because I know my PS5 save will be the PSVR2 save so I'm focusing on doing stuff that'll dazzle my rear end in VR when that thing comes out.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

the panacea posted:

There is no wiring loom recipe unless you mod it in.

Oh god no

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There was an expedition where the main obstacle to me was finding wiring looms and finding places that sold them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm a new player and the lack of recipe for wiring loom as well as ammo for plasma grenade launcher are the only two things that stand out so far

Everything else can be resolved with some on-the-spot crafting

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm a new player and the lack of recipe for wiring loom as well as ammo for plasma grenade launcher are the only two things that stand out so far

Everything else can be resolved with some on-the-spot crafting

Pretty sure you can craft unstable plasma, though? I think you need the blueprint for it, but I believe it's craftable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Here's how you 'farm' wiring looms; kill sentinels. Kill a LOT of sentinels. Take the glass shards, turn them into upgrades, upgrade whatever until you can't anymore, and then take the worst upgrades and disassemble them. You get all sorts of stuff from that, including wiring looms.

Those goddamn sentinels are basically flying looms you collect with your weapon.

:clint: :black101:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's pretty much my supply, a lot of the glass drops are frankly quite rubbish. No I don't want -1% reload/+1% damage, but thanks for the loom. You can't even use more than two or three before they 'overload' and render themselves useless anyway.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Toilet Terror posted:

Pretty sure you can craft unstable plasma, though? I think you need the blueprint for it, but I believe it's craftable

you 100% can

and the blueprint, like most, is available at the Anomaly

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

you 100% can

and the blueprint, like most, is available at the Anomaly

I've said it before, but the Anomaly is my absolute favourite video game location ever. :swoon: the music, the look, the people (both NPCs and irl players). It's like a nice space hug.

I'm all for the Switch version getting press and people buying it but a relatively empty anomaly is sort of unsettling to me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've said it before, but the Anomaly is my absolute favourite video game location ever. :swoon: the music, the look, the people (both NPCs and irl players). It's like a nice space hug.

I'm all for the Switch version getting press and people buying it but a relatively empty anomaly is sort of unsettling to me.

This is an opposing desire: I wish they'd allow you to seed your own galaxy, set some parameters, and just have your own private galaxy.

Then you could invite some friends over to your galaxy, or just have it as an inconceivably huge empty place that no one else could ever visit. (Never mind that once you've seen about 20 or so systems in any galaxy, you've seen them all. But these would still be unique.)

And you could destroy it and forget the seed if you wanted to, or preserve it for all time or whatever.

Or it could collapse over time, an unstoppable digital entropy devouring system after system, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And at first, the NPCs just carry on like nothing is happening.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here's how you 'farm' wiring looms; kill sentinels. Kill a LOT of sentinels. Take the glass shards, turn them into upgrades, upgrade whatever until you can't anymore, and then take the worst upgrades and disassemble them. You get all sorts of stuff from that, including wiring looms.

Those goddamn sentinels are basically flying looms you collect with your weapon.

:clint: :black101:

I had the daily nexus task of collecting 8 quad servos and for whatever reason those goddamn dogs refused to spawn so I ended up killing hundreds of various sentinels. I think I've got five stacks of those spooky glass items so thank you for this game changing tip!

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Another interesting change to technology slots in the latest experimental update.

quote:

Technology inventories now have a chance to contain supercharged slots that offer substantial boosts to the stats of technologies deployed to those slots. The number of supercharged slots is tied to the class of the starship, freighter or Multi-Tool in question, with 1 slots available for C-Class and 4 for S-Class.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My Sentinel-ified Minotaur doesn’t seem to attack my enemies anymore. Before the update he was a pretty reliable autonomous support combatant, but now he follows me around and never actually attacks the things I’m fighting?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Toast King posted:

Another interesting change to technology slots in the latest experimental update.

I watched some streamer talk about how pre 4.0 his ship dps with infraknives was like 79K but now it's 99K when using the supercharge slots. I think 2 or 3 of the slots were close enough to stack bonuses.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I was tired of playing this game on the Steam deck without gyro, and went into the incredibly straightforward but ultimately complex controller setup via steam, and holy poo poo, not only do I have gyro when my thumb is just resting on the right thumbstick (HL2 showed me that was possible), but I also moved around a few other options to put flashlight toggle and my own customized shortcut to photo mode on there (pressing up or down on the right trackpad, respectively).

I love playing this game on the Deck. So nice.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The turbocharged module thing seems very cool but also not remotely what I was expecting-- unlike the existing adjacency bonus stuff where there's not really any visible effect from the baseline tech like "hyperdrive" or "engine", just "the thing touching it will get a bonus" and the Big Money is from having your best S-rank module in the middle of everything else, the supercharge slot seems to give a slight boost to modules but a far more significant one to baseline ones. With no other bonuses installed my ship shotgun has a "peak damage potential" of 2,000; just installing it in a supercharged slot nearly triples it to 5,271, which isn't that far from the 7,861 from "all buffs installed, no supercharge" state. Full buffs and one supercharge slot brings that up to close to 20,000.

My initial reaction is "oh god, just what we needed, another RNG aspect to ship farming that isn't just visuals so now even if you get a ship you like it might be far worse than a ship you hate the look of" but I'm really crossing my fingers that they're introducing this sort of RNG as a lede into allowing for proper ship customization while still having a reason to hunt for something "good" for the people who want to hunt.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My initial reaction was "Ha ha, now all my weird-rear end ships get random bonuses on whatever poo poo those super-slots will land on, awesome!" :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Hyperdrive doesn't seem to get as much of a bonus, at least on the freighter (something like +50ly), which is somewhat unfortunate; and at first glance it doesn't seem like C-rank things that were upgraded to S-rank get inherent bonus charge slots so it seems like you might need to find stuff S-rank from the get-go to make use of that.

I also have 3 overcharged slots in my exosuit which is...interesting. It looks like it's in the same spots on all my save files, but I don't know if that's "because they're static" or it's the same thing as expeditions where my player seed RNGs me into the same starting appearance every time.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I picked up this game on my Switch since I've been wanting to give it a try for a while. Haven't gotten very far in, still fairly early in the game, just having a good time exploring ruins and digging up random buried caches and things.

My most recent excursion ended up with me stumbling upon a crashed ship. It's a B-class ship that looks to be a straight upgrade from my default ship, but most of the slots are taken up by broken components and it's going to be very expensive resource-wise to restore it to full working condition. Is it worth the time and effort, or should I just fix up the engines well enough to fly to the nearest space station and cash it in?

E: Did some quick maths on how much I'd need to farm to get it into full working order and that's definitely more trouble than it's worth, I'm just scrapping this.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 17, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is the first update that I've not jumped in on immediately, I'm waiting to see what shakes out of the experimental modes before committing to something that will change all my inventories.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inadequately posted:

I picked up this game on my Switch since I've been wanting to give it a try for a while. Haven't gotten very far in, still fairly early in the game, just having a good time exploring ruins and digging up random buried caches and things.

My most recent excursion ended up with me stumbling upon a crashed ship. It's a B-class ship that looks to be a straight upgrade from my default ship, but most of the slots are taken up by broken components and it's going to be very expensive resource-wise to restore it to full working condition. Is it worth the time and effort, or should I just fix up the engines well enough to fly to the nearest space station and cash it in?

E: Did some quick maths on how much I'd need to farm to get it into full working order and that's definitely more trouble than it's worth, I'm just scrapping this.

Eventually this becomes a no-brainer, and you claim it to bring it to your space garage (freighter) to play space dad and do space repair with all of the poo poo you've got lying around. The more you fix it up, the more valuable it is when scrapped.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Inadequately posted:

The answer used to be a no-holds-barred "not worth it", but the game has added a commodity called "repair kits" that can be found on derilects or purchased from some pirate systems that may change the math on that. Repair kits can sub in for any one type of item for any repair, regardless if the material being asked for is 1 Ferrite Dust or 20 Wiring Kits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The answer used to be a no-holds-barred "not worth it", but the game has added a commodity called "repair kits" that can be found on derilects or purchased from some pirate systems that may change the math on that. Repair kits can sub in for any one type of item for any repair, regardless if the material being asked for is 1 Ferrite Dust or 20 Wiring Kits.

Yeah, repair kits are something I stock up on and buy immediately upon seeing them.

Also, what I said about repairing ships in your freighter is beneficial as while you're in it, you have access to more inventories (freighter and exosuit), plus however many storage containers you have installed in your freighter.

It really is like a space garage and I love it.

If you try and repair a ship where you found it, your inventory is limited to your exosuit (as once you jump into the broken ship, it becomes your active ship and you won't have immediate access to your previous ship's cargo/inventory).

Edit: also, fast track getting the matter beam tech blueprint for your freighter. Super useful.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 17, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok drat I had no idea about the repair kit. That’s fantastic to know. I’m still early in the start just getting into the groove of mining and Donny some light exploring while starting the Artemis quest and unlocks king base parts but I might jiump ahead a few more times and get a freighter going since I plan to make that my primary base, anyways.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
I'm going to be freighter shopping soon. Do system freighters vary in class within the same system? Say, if I find a style of the Oculus I like, can I just zoom around that system until an S class version of it spawns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corzen posted:

I'm going to be freighter shopping soon. Do system freighters vary in class within the same system? Say, if I find a style of the Oculus I like, can I just zoom around that system until an S class version of it spawns?

Unless they changed something, you're really only going to (easily) find a freighter by warping into a system. I believe it's every 5 warps has you arrive when a freighter is under attack; you save them, go to the captain (who hails you) and they're all 'holy poo poo, owning a freighter is a loving nightmare for me, wanna buy it?' (paraphrased but that's legitimately the mood of the conversation).

And then you'll go on to not understand one bit about what was so terrible about having a freighter. The old captain was WEAK.