Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

This is huge as long as the community doesn't decide to just stay on nexus or whatever. It's so much easier to use mods when a game has workshop support. I rarely use mods in games that don't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not having to wrangle with piece of poo poo Vortex anymore would make the game so much better

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shear Modulus posted:

Not having to wrangle with piece of poo poo Vortex anymore would make the game so much better

thought i'd stumbled in to the total warhammer 2 thread for a second

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I looked on reddit and while the overall reaction to workshop support was enthusiastic, there were a lot of vortex defenders lol. How anyone could claim vortex is as good as or better than steam workshop is beyond me.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Workshop support is amazing and an improvement as usual, but its success in this game really depends on how it handles the whole bunch of independent libraries and script extenders you need to install at this point to run even a modest modlist, aka the "make the game instacrash if the tiniest thing is off in the load order/version number" mods.

To be fair I haven't played in about 3 months, maybe this got improved?

I see Harmony, ButterLib, UIExtenderEx and MCM are already in the workshop, so that's good, I guess. But does the game still instacrash if a mod author decides to push an update for beta while, say, all your libraries/other mods are made for the stable version? Bannerlord was specially frail and unstable when handling mod versioning and you had to be somewhat careful when installing mods.

vvv Sure, I think most of us can mod just fine (I've been doing it both manually and then through MO2), but what you're saying applies in a vacuum where the game doesn't update and you download a static set of mods. But actually browsing through the Nexus it's not uncommon to find a lot of abandoned or unupdated mods with poor version and compatibility documentation that will straight up crash your stuff and get you to do a lot of troubleshooting. You also need to be careful about how you set up your load order for all the required libraries. It's doable with a little savvy, sure, hell it's easier than Skyrim modding, but it's not "just put stuff in the mod folder lol".

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 15, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
M&B mods have never been hard to deal with for an even slightly competent PC user, just throw another folder in the mod directory and make sure the files are unlocked. But I hope this helps less savvy folks enjoy the joys of mods.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I use the workshop for total warhammer, and theres a semi frequent issue where a mod's update won't get pushed through so you have to resub to the mod. Works fine otherwise

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

M&B mods have never been hard to deal with for an even slightly competent PC user, just throw another folder in the mod directory and make sure the files are unlocked. But I hope this helps less savvy folks enjoy the joys of mods.

It's not that it's hard in some absolute sense, but it's a thing that a game that gets played once every 6-18 months is way more enticing to start it up and get into the mods for if the process for installing them is 1-2 clicks on the steam workshop vs half an hour at a minimum of downloading random crap and finding 5 year old login details, then
remembering how particular bespoke system x works for game y as opposed to the myriad unique ones you have to fuss with for various other games. There's only so much time for video games and that's not really how I wanna spend it, you know.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's not like it's technically difficult. It's just tedious and annoying to get your modlist working after even a short break. When I come back to a game with workshop support and lots of mods, I can usually just play immediately. At worst I might have to disable one mod if it had been abandoned or something. For games without workshop support at the very least I have to go download every mod and dependency again. Vortex was supposed to make this easy, but it never seemed like it did.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I use the workshop for total warhammer, and theres a semi frequent issue where a mod's update won't get pushed through so you have to resub to the mod. Works fine otherwise

I've never had this happen with mods, but I've seen it with games not downloading updates. I've had to like trick steam into finally updating a game something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How they made tweaks or overhauled town management? I always liked that aspect, in theory, but when I last played (a while at this point) it felt like it was super broken. No matter how hard I tried the wealth of a town I controlled never improved. I like the idea of going from a nothing merc to the lord of a town or city that you can uplift from a dirt poor nothing to a bustling place but it never seemed to happen.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Bannerlord mods have been a lot more difficult than this.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
How's the economy right now? I know they made some substantial changes in one of the more recent patches but I haven't really sat down and played this game much (re: at all) since well before that patch went up.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Wait you can use MO2 for Bannerlord?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Wait you can use MO2 for Bannerlord?

Yup! MO2 has Bannerlord support since februray 2021. It's not as crucial as in say, Skyrim, because every Bannerlord mod is a separate module folder, but it works great if you've already been using MO2 and want to keep your game folder clean, and it's way better than Vortex. Last time I used it you still had to sort load order with the game's launcher though, so there's that.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 16, 2022

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Glory hallelujah CRPG is back?! I spend way too many hours in the original, usually as Hannibal/Hannibro. Time to boot up the gaming PC and call up BigSandwich to come back for a peasant blocking marathon until we can afford longswords.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Defend the stairs!!

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Any news on strategus?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Justin Tyme posted:

Defend the stairs!!

Argh, the flashbacks! My PTSD!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I've been playing crpg the past few days. I'm having a lot of fun despite being very bad at Bannerlord combat--it's wild to play 60v60 battle with a bunch of familiar names. Finally made it to level 28, currently running 10str/27agi with all 9 athletics, weapon master and 3 powerstrike. Right now there are no strength requirements on weapons and weapon proficiency is super strong, so the time is right to be an agility monster.

I don't want to take the lead on it, but someone should probably roll an LLJK clan on https://c-rpg.eu/clans. The colors you put for the clan will affect your in-game clothing, so we might be able to coordinate a bit in the battle server looking like green goblins or something. Otherwise if you see me ingame as Hannibro say hey.

e: whoops looks like someone did it already https://c-rpg.eu/clans/1304

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 21, 2022

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Doubleposting because Bannerlord officially releases 10/25!

Check out the new Steam Workshop page https://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/workshop/ for the game. Interested in multiplayer mayhem with custom RPG-style leveling? Subscribe to the cRPG mod and come join us in-game. You'll spend the first hour as a harmless wee peasant, but don't be put off. Buy a pike and stab those bastard cavalry horses in the face to rear them up for your teammates. When your team wins you'll gain more exp and gold, and in no time you'll be a plate armored knight smashing your way through 60v60 battle rounds.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can't wait for all the promised features to all be added into the game tomorrow

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
At this point, I think the modders will just be happy to have a consistent, stable version to work with instead of entire sections of code being rewritten on a whim every update.

I don't know if anyone still expects anyhting out of Taleworlds at this point.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Modding question. Have the authors of all the biggest script extender and library mods (Harmony, ButterLib, etc.) said anything about their codebase being ok to include in bigger total conversion mods?

Back in Warband you would download say, the Game of Thrones mod, and since it was built from (for example) Floris or whatever, all that code and features were already included in the module folder.

Basically my question is if there's any plan to get to Warband style modding eventually (run the TC you like and that's it), or it looks like we'll have forced Skyrim style modding where you need to install 5 dependencies for every mod, set the load order, ini files and do other arcane rituals because the prima donna modder that made the base mods doesn't let people use his "copyrighted work" in "unauthorized" projects. Yes I'm referencing Arthmoor and similar people.

I should clarify by the way, I'm not against having a series of modular smaller mods like we do now though, that is also cool.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think both have been okay with it, but encourage you to avoid it because it causes potential compatibility issues if you package the libraries with your mod. With steam workshop support dependencies should be perfectly easy to manage as it's like one extra click to install them.

At a glance the only mod I'm currently using is RBM and that appears to have Harmony packaged with it based on what I see in github.

Sorta unrelated but as a software developer Harmony seems really loving cool. Being able to essentially replace or wrap any method or class in a program seems really powerful for modding of any kind.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just saw this got out of EA finally is it mostly in a playable / bug free state yet?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Mr. Crow posted:

Just saw this got out of EA finally is it mostly in a playable / bug free state yet?

Mostly playable is about as far as I'd go

Bug free? Finished?
No

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bug's aren't really noticeable (and by that i mean i'm literally struggling to think of one).

Finished? gently caress no, diplomacy still sucks, trying to do kingdom things still sucks. Native expansion for warband is still the better choice if you want kingdom stuff and native expansion isn't that impressive

For standard "join kingdom, fight for kingdom, acquire troops"? Yeah, game real good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The game is good. It's not crusader kings but the mount and blade part is good

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah its less that there are bugs and more like there just aren't capacities for certain features that you might expect.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol trading cards

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
There are people who have played this game for a thousand hours who complain about there not being enough to do in the end game.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

bltzn posted:

There are people who have played this game for a thousand hours who complain about there not being enough to do in the end game.

They should just accept that they've got their money's worth.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Game is good. Modding should make it better. Here's to hoping the modding scene flourishes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited that bandit missions and criminal missions are finally done.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah its less that there are bugs and more like there just aren't capacities for certain features that you might expect.

Yeah, I didn't mean bugs in the 'if you try to equip a sword as a shield, all horses disappear from our inventory' kind of way, but just features that obviously don't work like they should

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

EricBauman posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean bugs in the 'if you try to equip a sword as a shield, all horses disappear from our inventory' kind of way, but just features that obviously don't work like they should

This reminds me of the Battlefield 4 bug where if you got out of a humvee parked at a fairly common inclined angle the server would crash.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BMan posted:

lol trading cards

thats $0.09 in steam credit you didnt have before today

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm p sure trading cards are actually straight up required (like achievements) and even if they weren't it probably takes like 8 seconds to make them

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 25, 2022

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm p sure trading cards are actually straight up required (like achievements) and even if they weren't it probably likes like 8 seconds to make them

no, but apparently the devs get kickbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Achievements, trading cards, etc aren't required but trading cards are free money for the developers and achievements are nearly zero effort and players really want them, and they probably lead to people playing the game more because they have some goal to aim for