Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Equal parts Negroni Sbagliato I feel the prosecco would be fully drowned out? Doesn't sound that great to me. I like prosecco with campari about 3:1 with an orange peel. Gotta be brut, no extra dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Friend gave me a bottle of hpnotiq. Tried it straight and didnt like it much, too tart and a bit "off". The tropical flavors came across to me as yuzu mostly.

Having a bottle of it and never desiring to waste anything, I decided to find a cocktail that would work with it. This is the result:

Hpnotiki
1.5 oz hpnotiq
1 oz white rum
0.5 oz cream of coconut
0.25 oz creme de banane (tempus fugit)
0.25 oz maraschino
2 dashes elemakule tiki bitters
Add ice and shake, double strain over fresh ice

This is a balanced dessert drink that lets the tropical flavors of the hpnotiq sing through while the cream of coconut mutes the overaggressive tartness. Easily my favorite "make this spirit I don't like work" creation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Turns out I forgot I had two bottles of Campari

But one says bitter and one says Milano. Are they different or the same?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think you'll find that they both say both Bitter and Milano, but each has them in the opposite location.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's enough campari toast through Friday, but you'll want to hit the store Saturday morning for sure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's enough campari toast through Friday, but you'll want to hit the store Saturday morning for sure.

/

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Has anyone here tried De Valcourt Napoleon Brandy? It looks like it could be a steal since the few reviews I've found online are positive, and VSOP Cognacs start at around $90 for a 750ml bottle in Ontario.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo this might be one of the best cocktails I've ever had

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That looks incredible on the page.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fair cop, I used simple syrup (I have demerara sugar and plan to make syrup soon) and some Barbados dark rum (I don't know anything about rum) but drat, just incredible even so

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Welp time to go buy a $50 amaro

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nonino is great and that spec looks good, but the underrated ingredient in that good-looking list is the amontillado, imo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hoe long does sherry keep in the fridge

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Welp time to go buy a $50 amaro

I generally am wary of pricier, specialty stuff but Nonino is probably the best amaro I've head that's not Campari or Fernet, delicious on its own and also Paper Planes are great

Scythe posted:

Nonino is great and that spec looks good, but the underrated ingredient in that good-looking list is the amontillado, imo.

I looked it up and apparently what I got is the cheapo stuff "Medium Sherry: Blend of Amontillado" but it's still really good, dry and sweet and refreshing

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Hoe long does sherry keep in the fridge

Months. Amontillado comes pre-oxidized, so you've got some time. That said, mine never lasts months cause it's great to drink all on its own.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What app is this?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kenning posted:

Months. Amontillado comes pre-oxidized, so you've got some time. That said, mine never lasts months cause it's great to drink all on its own.

True. Just know that this is only true for oxidized sherry. You open a fino you only have a few days, which is excellent because now you get to drink all the fino.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Professor Shark posted:

What app is this?

Mixel on iOS

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm on Android, but yeah, Mixel

it is really great but I'm starting to notice a pattern in the better drinks and long story short I'm grabbing the Death & Co book tonight to have onhand

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is probably my wife's favorite cocktail. I got nonino at some point to try it and make a bunch of stuff out of the death& co book and now we'll always have it thanks to this drink.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

well apparently there are three Death & Co books now. I got the 3rd one (Welcome Home) since it seems to have the most focus on stuff like tastings, learning your own palate, basic bar techniques, etc. (also 600 recipes :v:)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That recipe is a great example of the I want to make this but I'd have to buy a bunch of poo poo I don't know if I'd ever use again genre that makes cocktails frustrating.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Amaro Nonino is really dang good on its own and also used in another kickass cocktail, the Paper Plane:

3/4 ounce bourbon
3/4 ounce Aperol
3/4 ounce Amaro Nonino
3/4 ounce lemon juice

Amontillado is also delicious on its own and surprisingly unique - I was pretty blown away. Plus a decent bottle is like $18 so you're not breaking the bank

e: I definitely feel you though. A lot of the drinks I've wanted to make have a small amount of an ingredient that, even if it's a $15 bottle...it seems really easy to end up with a whole shelf of once-in-a-blue-moon stuff like Creme de X's and the like

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Grand Fromage posted:

That recipe is a great example of the I want to make this but I'd have to buy a bunch of poo poo I don't know if I'd ever use again genre that makes cocktails frustrating.

I don't mind buying stuff but it's especially annoying when it's vermouths and wines that go bad in a couple weeks or a few months at most. I generally don't want to make 15 of whatever cocktail even if I really love it and I don't have anyone else to make them for most of the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's not as bad with liquors that don't go off. I have never tried amontillado though, and was in the market for some cognac anyway...

Is aperol or campari close enough to amaro to give me a sense if I'm going to like it or not? Or something else comparable to amaro? Not sure what aromatic bitters are either.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's not as bad with liquors that don't go off. I have never tried amontillado though, and was in the market for some cognac anyway...

Is aperol or campari close enough to amaro to give me a sense if I'm going to like it or not? Or something else comparable to amaro? Not sure what aromatic bitters are either.

Since I've seen you post a ton in the Chinese cooking threads, I'll say that amontillado is basically a very good aged shaoxing. They've got the same oxidized thing going on, but I haven't had a shaoxing that has the same mouthfeel. Anyway, it owns imo, but that might help you decide if you want a bottle.

"Aromatic bitters" is a category of bitters where the primary flavor is warming spice. Angostura is an aromatic bitters, so if you're making the above drink you could just use angostura for both instead of splitting your bitters.

Aperol and Campari are actually both amari themselves. "Amaro" is a super wide category with a ton of subcategories. I think, with a home cocktail enthusaist's mindset, you could reasonably use Aperol in the above drink. It'll be less bitter and sweeter than Nonino would be, but it's a better substitute for Nonino than tons of other brands in the amaro category. With amari, you really have to use the exactly called-for brand if you want to duplicate a drink (at least until you know all the subfamilies pretty well).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Efb

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scythe posted:

Since I've seen you post a ton in the Chinese cooking threads, I'll say that amontillado is basically a very good aged shaoxing. They've got the same oxidized thing going on, but I haven't had a shaoxing that has the same mouthfeel. Anyway, it owns imo, but that might help you decide if you want a bottle.

"Aromatic bitters" is a category of bitters where the primary flavor is warming spice. Angostura is an aromatic bitters, so if you're making the above drink you could just use angostura for both instead of splitting your bitters.

Aperol and Campari are actually both amari themselves. "Amaro" is a super wide category with a ton of subcategories. I think, with a home cocktail enthusaist's mindset, you could reasonably use Aperol in the above drink. It'll be less bitter and sweeter than Nonino would be, but it's a better substitute for Nonino than tons of other brands in the amaro category. With amari, you really have to use the exactly called-for brand if you want to duplicate a drink (at least until you know all the subfamilies pretty well).

Cool. I have a bottle of Aperol that I forgot about, not sure why I bought it. Tried a shot earlier and thought it was gross, but now 15 minutes later I'm sitting here thinking about wanting another hit so there must be something there.

The Nonino looks to be the priciest component so I'll give it a shot with Aperol.

I am not sure I've ever had any sherry so I'm up for trying some amontillado.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nonino is expensive but I 100% do not regret the buy

TBQH, I love Campari and almost every other amaro I've tried, but I really am not a fan of Aperol. It just tastes very artificially sweet and doesn't really have the depth that other amari do, IMO

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Nonino is also extremely hard to find in some places, so you have to be prepared for that reality as well. As always, good substitutions will depend on the drink. Personally I find it very easy to substitute Montenegro in a Paper Plane, but that doesn't mean it would always work.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Montenegro > Nonino in a paper plane without question.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Montenegro > Nonino in a paper plane without question.

Would it work in the legend

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve heard Crown Royal Northern Harvest is supposed to be a good rye- it’s the same price as the clearanced High West, which is a better bang for buck?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's a fine whiskey, but Murray's selection of it as whiskey of the year was really bizarre. I don't think anyone who drinks it says "wow, that's a masterpiece."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Would it work in the legend

based on what i've seen from the actual Death & Co. books, there's probably an entire short essay written by one of the bartenders on why they chose Nonino specifically

but honestly? give it a shot if you'd prefer to try/already have Montenegro. Worst case is you end up with a meh cocktail.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You can't buy Laird's Applejack in Ohio anymore, I guess to push locally made Watershed Apple Brandy, which is nearly twice as much and the bottle isn't nearly as cool. Oh well!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Human Tornada posted:

You can't buy Laird's Applejack in Ohio anymore, I guess to push locally made Watershed Apple Brandy, which is nearly twice as much and the bottle isn't nearly as cool. Oh well!

Curiada available there?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Nope

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Fair cop, I used simple syrup (I have demerara sugar and plan to make syrup soon) and some Barbados dark rum (I don't know anything about rum) but drat, just incredible even so

I had to buy all of the ingredients except the bitters and the sugar, but holy poo poo it was worth it. This is a gorgeous cocktail, perfectly seasonal. This might be what I bring for Thanksgiving, hot drat. If batching it I might tone down the sugar just a bit to make it go a bit better with dinner. That said, I had to buy a different Amontillado, and the one I got was a bit sweeter than I'd normally get, so that might be enough of a difference. Fantastic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AFAIK the original recipe specifies Lustau which is $17.49 at Total Wine

I used some $8 bottle of the stuff that's sweetened and just finished off that bottle today so I'm gonna grab some Lustau tomorrow

On a related note, I know jack poo poo about rum. I imagine dark vs light makes a difference, but is it actually relevant that it's specifically Jamaican?