Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

GM is now showing off their plans for their Ultium based home & commercial chargers/battery packs and their plans for the Ultium 360 roadside charging stations for coast to coast driving. They are throwing another gauntlet at Tesla.

https://gmenergy.gm.com/

I see photos of something that looks like a powerwall, but no actual words indicating this is something they're considering.

I'm probably going to be buying battery storage in the next few years and I'd really like if there were anything at all competitive with the Powerwall. Like, even repurposed LEAF batteries: wasn't that part of their original pitch 15 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Christ the polestar3 colour options are boring

(.ca pricing, gently caress this noise)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

100k? For a volvo????? Or a ~1500/mo lease :lol:

Edit: ventilated seats are a 5k option :lol:

Rear storage compartment:
17.1 ft³ with seats up, including under floor

50 ft³ with seats folded, including under floor

2013 Honda Fit still beats this SUV for storage seats up or down :lol:

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 14, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Lyriq is a lot cheaper and probably comes better-equipped

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

2013 Honda Fit still beats this SUV for storage seats up or down :lol:

The secret is that it's actually a sedan hatchback and they just labeled it "SUV" to sell to the people who have been conditioned to be afraid of driving any vehicle smaller than a Hummer.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Roadie posted:

The secret is that it's actually a sedan hatchback and they just labeled it "SUV" to sell to the people who have been conditioned to be afraid of driving any vehicle smaller than a Hummer.

I know, it's still funny that a sub compact hatch from 10 years ago beats it. Kudos to Honda engineers.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Christ the polestar3 colour options are boring

(.ca pricing, gently caress this noise)

• gray
  • other gray
  • different gray
  • more different gray
  • gray with a hint of blue no ha ha we wouldn't do that to you it's just gray again

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Russian Bear posted:

I know, it's still funny that a sub compact hatch from 10 years ago beats it. Kudos to Honda engineers.

The fit beats a lot of things, it’s a packaging miracle. In the case of EVs the batteries eat into a lot of the cargo space. The Fit has a really low cargo floor so you get a lot of vertical space to work with. I think the model Y is really the only EV SUV that actually has the amount of cargo space you’d expect given the dimensions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

• gray
  • other gray
  • different gray
  • more different gray
  • gray with a hint of blue no ha ha we wouldn't do that to you it's just gray again

I wonder how many clever names automakers have come up with for the exact same shades of white and black

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
You can have any color you want, as long as it's gray

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Polestar 3 is really disappointing, it's boring, the performance edition is barely more powerful/fast than the regular, and it is WAY too expensive. The Polestar 2 seemed like a great value as a competent sedan that wasn't crazy but also not crazy expensive. This is just weird. I'm sure it's fine and all but, meh.

E: I mean $114k CAD is within a stone's throw of a taycan cross turismo which would be WAY more fun I'd wager.

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 14, 2022

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Polestar has a roadster they say is coming, but going by their previous releases it'll be the size and weight of a station wagon, and the price of two.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Has me a lot more interested in the volvo ex90 now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Lyriq is a lot cheaper and probably comes better-equipped

As reviews start trickling in on the Lyriq, my god, if the Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD wasn't already an unconscionable amount of money for me to spend on a car I drive an average of 14 miles a day I would be all over that thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does seem good. Needs a performance variant.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Hey why are all these new EVs slower than Teslas. The Polestar 3 seems like it has a better power/weight ratio than the M3P but does 0-60 in 5s vs the M3P 3.1s. Are traditional manufacturers just sandbagging on power delivery to maintain ~~model stratification~~?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the poi posted:

Hey why are all these new EVs slower than Teslas. The Polestar 3 seems like it has a better power/weight ratio than the M3P but does 0-60 in 5s vs the M3P 3.1s. Are traditional manufacturers just sandbagging on power delivery to maintain ~~model stratification~~?

I don't think that's true. M3P weighs 4250 pounds and I don't think Tesla publishes horsepower numbers anymore but they make every bit of 480 horsepower which works out to 8.9 pounds per horsepower. The Polestar 3 even if you take the lowest curb weight and highest HP #s its 5700/517 so 11.0 pounds per horsepower.

The M3P is a goddamn monster tbh. Nearly 500 horsepower, ~800 pounds lighter than a Mach-E GT, better battery cooling and probably more willing to abuse those batteries a little, it just all adds up to a shitload of acceleration.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Also kind of disheartening to see the efficiencies of these new vehicles-- ~370 wh/mi for the polestar 3 is kind of sad given the chonky boi X is rated at 330.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Car manufacturers care that their stated 250 range is somewhat accurate.

So no one really cares if you have a sub-3 off the line stat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the poi posted:

Acceleration means jack poo poo (unless it's stupid slow like the Mach-E). You will never need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. It's unsafe. Remember you drive in public roads with other people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Qwijib0 posted:

Also kind of disheartening to see the efficiencies of these new vehicles-- ~370 wh/mi for the polestar 3 is kind of sad given the chonky boi X is rated at 330.

Even having put fat, sticky PS4S on my 3 I get ~300 wh/mi whereas my stock Mach-E averaged about 360. There's some stuff that Tesla is still quite good at relative to the competition.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Acceleration means jack poo poo (unless it's stupid slow like the Mach-E). You will never need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. It's unsafe. Remember you drive in public roads with other people.

false

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the poi posted:

The Polestar 3 is an SUV so I think a better comparison comparison would be the MYP; that's 517 hp vs 450 hp, and 670 ft-lb vs 481. So the Polestar is providing a lot more torque; that may or may not matter depending on how you want to use the vehicle

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The acceleration increase between my Leaf and Bolt is quite nice. The Leaf's not that bad either! They're both much snappier than my truck!

I only miss my R1 and supercharged Mustang occasionally!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Polestar wagon thingie weighs 2.6 tonnes lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6eqZfO7E9M&t=1130s

That could explain the performance. It's literally a ton heavier than the Model 3.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

the poi posted:

I think it comes down to battery cooling expertise. GMs been doing it almost as long as Tesla and is making performance EVs that are on par.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Engineering Explained just ran some numbers for the Tesla Semi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv44W7xa4IU

I've been a bit skeptical especially about fitting enough batteries for the claimed range without going overweight but it seems to check out, at least under reasonably favorable conditions.

Still definitely some open questions about real-world performance, the cost of 1MWh battery, ability to actually do 1.5MW charging etc. Or, you know, build it in volume.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Being able to charge a 1 MWh battery at 1.5 MW should be relatively easy, Tesla already charges their batteries faster than that on most of their vehicles. Basically on a V3 supercharger a Model 3 LR with a 74 kWh pack can hit 250 kW which is a charging rate of just over 3C. So 1.5 MW on a 1 MWh pack is only 1.5C, or half as fast as a V3 supercharger on a 74 kWh pack. If they follow the same charging curve as they do on a 74 kWh pack, then they could hit a bit over 3.3 MW at the 10-40% range before beginning to taper off.

I think the biggest production limit on the semi is that even with the 4680 cells it would take almost 12,500 of them to build a 1 MWh pack. It is probably not very economical to get that many cells of any size with close enough quality to assemble in to one pack, let alone in a new form factor like the 4680 that hasn't yet reached the maturity or yields of the 18650 or 2170 lines. Even the 4680 is probably too small of a cell for a pack that size, but larger prismatic cells simply wouldn't be able to handle the power output requirements without overheating.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not so much charging at 1.5C as actually having a bunch of 1.5MW chargers, supply for it, enormous cables, cooling etc.

The cells too, of course. IIRC they've used 18650s originally to be able to use available commercial suppliers but at this scale I would've thought pouches would make more sense. From my experience they can easily do 10C or greater discharge rates. But maybe there's a good reason those aren't used.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s exactly why I need to get away.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remember you drive in public roads with other people.

Have you seen these people drive? They’re crazy. Get me away from them asap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Burrito posted:

That’s exactly why I need to get away.

Have you seen these people drive? They’re crazy. Get me away from them asap.

There's gonna be some insane rear end in a top hat in front of you anyway so you'd only be getting closer to them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

There's gonna be some insane rear end in a top hat in front of you anyway so you'd only be getting closer to them.

Maybe if I flash my lights and helpfully honk, he will concede my need to get somewhere in a hurry and helpfully move over.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The acceleration increase between my Leaf and Bolt is quite nice. The Leaf's not that bad either! They're both much snappier than my truck!

I only miss my R1 and supercharged Mustang occasionally!

This is my take too, having owned a Model S, Model 3, LEAF, and Bolt. The LEAF was already quicker than the quickest gas car I had ever owned.

I understand that in order to sell cars to everyone, there are going to have to be some that haul rear end. But I'm firmly okay with "only better than 90% of gas-powered cars" being the average EV acceleration profile.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’m super lazy and for the sake of tire changes I’d like the option for a relaxed acceleration profile at least that I could choose.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Last time I mentioned itt that I like having better acceleration than a 90’s economy car there was a mini meltdown about how cars that can get out of their own way are bad and unnecessary. Still completely unclear on what the argument against quick cars is, but it sure comes in handy when I have to merge from 25 to 70 mph on the stupidly short disappearing merge lanes they like to build around here.

The only reasonable counter argument I can think of is “tires are really expensive.”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s fun but at 12k miles my EV tires are worn more than my truck’s at 25k so the early replacement is going to instantly negate any savings on brakes/oil/etc. maintenance.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Have you tried not stomping on the gas at every. single. stoplight? :negative:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Wibla posted:

Have you tried not stomping on the gas at every. single. stoplight? :negative:

Impossible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs