Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BigglesSWE posted:

I swear if Something Awful existed in 1945 every day that passed during the Nuremberg trials without all the nazis being summarily executed would end up with doomers screeching “nothing matters!!”

Considering what happened with the majority of the Nazis this is maybe not the best comparison to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Well good thing these aren’t Nazis, these are right wing fashy blowhards. Similar in the ways M&Ms and Skittles are, but a certain distinctive flavor.

Regardless, I’m not supposed to be pushing buttons for a few days more, self-imposed, so don’t break my tranquility with your doomy sniping.

Give me inner peace or I’ll mop the floor with ya

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oh Don Piano posted:

Would like to buy his mic just to smash it to poo poo then burn the remaining pile of rubble.

What about an art installation where gallery attendees are invited to put the microphone up their butt

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

What about an art installation where gallery attendees are invited to put the microphone up their butt

Well yea, the art doesn’t install itself up there (yet).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CharlestheHammer posted:

Considering what happened with the majority of the Nazis this is maybe not the best comparison to make

Patriotic all-American rocket scientist, Werner Von Braun.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Foo Diddley posted:

alex jones got sued for a billion dollars for saying sandy hook was a hoax, and he's paid $0 and is on the air saying sandy hook was a hoax

great job, civil """justice""" system; you've really put another right wing demagogue in his place

Foo Diddley posted:

maybe next we can put donald trump in jail for trying to overthrow the government

I've spent a large part of my career dealing and working in civil court systems, from local municipal court to US District court.

The world does not operate with the time proportions you may have come to expect from marinating in the internet. There's what you see & hear with your own eyes and ears, and there's proof in law. Even after judgement, these things take time.

Criminal court tests have a higher bar, so compiling an overwhelming preponderance of evidence that satisfies legal challenges takes even longer.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

Well good thing these aren’t Nazis, these are right wing fashy blowhards. Similar in the ways M&Ms and Skittles are, but a certain distinctive flavor.

What flavor skittle is AJ?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Canuckistan posted:

What flavor skittle is AJ?

one of the red ones.

Or chilli

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alkydere posted:

So what you're saying is that it's going to be long, drawn out and he's going to start freaking out at multiple points for us to savor it?

Oh and painful too? Because it's hitting Jones in his most tender area: his ego!

Yeah. Opening Arguments also talked about it and the lawyer on that says he's turbofucked. There's no way out of this judgment. He can appeal, but the appeal:
a) Will fail, the only real grounds that could work is saying the penalty numbers are arbitrary but the fact that they're so specific to each victim shows that wasn't the case.
b) Doesn't stop him having to pay out while it's in process. In order to do something with that he would have to post a bond, which would be at least 10% of the judgement, possibly higher since it's so big. Jones has money but it's pretty unlikely he has $96.5 million in cash just sitting around.

It'll still take a while to go through everything and get to the pay up point, but I'm inclined to trust the actual lawyer on it since I am not one. So lots of time to enjoy his suffering.

Also said that yes, at this point anyone buying dick pills from Infowars is basically just giving money directly to the victims.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Grand Fromage posted:

Also said that yes, at this point anyone buying dick pills from Infowars is basically just giving money directly to the victims.

that said, i've heard (from the same Opening Arguments episode) the meme that 'well maybe i should buy Alex Jones products to help the familes' and I hope no one does this. I hope that along with the impact of this judgment, there's an effort to raise awareness for proper charities/causes rather than filter it through infowars.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Foo Diddley posted:

alex jones got sued for a billion dollars for saying sandy hook was a hoax, and he's paid $0 and is on the air saying sandy hook was a hoax

great job, civil """justice""" system; you've really put another right wing demagogue in his place

"The answer to 965 million dollars is zero dollars and zero cents!"

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So what are the mile markers on this long agonizing road of Jones paying nearly a billion dollars after this judgement? Jones' ego suffering is nice and all, but let's talk about the actual money going from Jones to the families he haunted and hounded for nearly a decade.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

but it's pretty unlikely he has $96.5 million in cash just sitting around.

$965 million, get that dirty decimal point outta here.

teen witch posted:

Give me inner peace or I’ll mop the floor with ya

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 15, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Agents are GO! posted:

10% of 965 is 96.5.

Morter posted:

that said, i've heard (from the same Opening Arguments episode) the meme that 'well maybe i should buy Alex Jones products to help the familes' and I hope no one does this. I hope that along with the impact of this judgment, there's an effort to raise awareness for proper charities/causes rather than filter it through infowars.

Yeah of course do not go buy Infowars poo poo. It's just fun to think about all his dipshit fans handing money to the families.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

The bond is for 10%

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

At least.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Bootcha posted:

So what are the mile markers on this long agonizing road of Jones paying nearly a billion dollars after this judgement? Jones' ego suffering is nice and all, but let's talk about the actual money going from Jones to the families he haunted and hounded for nearly a decade.

then maybe appeals for a year or two

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tunicate posted:

The bond is for 10%

Grand Fromage posted:

10% of 965 is 96.5.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. :downs:

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah of course do not go buy Infowars poo poo. It's just fun to think about all his dipshit fans handing money to the families.

that said, if it comes to the point where the government seizes FSS’s studio equipment… and warehouse full of boner pills… and sells them at auction to fund the judgement… I mean at that point it’s a souvenir where the whole sale price goes to a good cause. I think morally speaking that’s a grey area at worst.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Foo Diddley posted:

How fast do you expect this process to go? Nobody would be able to just pay almost a billion dollars in cash in a couple days, not even actual billionaires. Nobody rich keeps that much liquid money just hanging out, their wealth is in stocks and property and things that make up their monetary value

This is the beginning of the end of Alex Jones. There won't be one single, decisive moment that will be The End, though. It's going to be a death by a thousand cuts: a prolonged affair of devastating wounds afflicted upon him while he suffers and flails. Remember his bad health, his bankruptcy, his marriage is probably on the rocks now that his wife knows he sent her naked pictures to Roger Stone, and there's the possibility that the Jan 6th committee has some questions for him

This is going to be a long, drawn out process, and we'll get to watch it happen

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SolTerrasa posted:

that said, if it comes to the point where the government seizes FSS’s studio equipment… and warehouse full of boner pills… and sells them at auction to fund the judgement… I mean at that point it’s a souvenir where the whole sale price goes to a good cause. I think morally speaking that’s a grey area at worst.

As long as Dan gets the desk

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I feel like Alex will make a cameo account at some point.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Powerful Katrinka posted:

his marriage is probably on the rocks now that his wife knows he sent her naked pictures to Roger Stone,

Not only that, but hired ex-Blackwater agents to spy and keep tabs on both the ex-wife and current wife.

The Frogster is realllllll insecure when not in front of a camera punching down onto dead kids.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bootcha posted:

it'll probably take a while

among other things, much of his money is currently locked up in bankruptcy court, which is still busy investigating various avenues he might have used to siphon off funds

and even once that's done, there's the fact that he already owes more money than he has and there's still more lawsuits open against him. in the end the courts will have to decide how to split up his assets between his numerous creditors, decide who takes priority, etc

it'll be a while

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Katrinka posted:

How fast do you expect this process to go? Nobody would be able to just pay almost a billion dollars in cash in a couple days, not even actual billionaires. Nobody rich keeps that much liquid money just hanging out, their wealth is in stocks and property and things that make up their monetary value

This is the beginning of the end of Alex Jones. There won't be one single, decisive moment that will be The End, though. It's going to be a death by a thousand cuts: a prolonged affair of devastating wounds afflicted upon him while he suffers and flails. Remember his bad health, his bankruptcy, his marriage is probably on the rocks now that his wife knows he sent her naked pictures to Roger Stone, and there's the possibility that the Jan 6th committee has some questions for him

This is going to be a long, drawn out process, and we'll get to watch it happen

I think this disconnect is the crux between doomscrollers and shitposters for this aspect of the topic at hand.

Jones hosed around and got summary judgement against him. Okay, fine. Check.
Jones continued to gently caress around and got nearly a billion dollars in liability assigned against him as the judgement. Okay, fine. Check.

I think folks kinda get that this is gonna be a long and drawn out resolution.

But I think people want to know what's the first checkpoint where, if Jones further continues to gently caress around, he is really hit with the Poor Man's Hammer and treated like any other tax dodger or alimony and child support skipper?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just hope we get some juicy, juicy soundbites when Jones has it start sinking in, even for a few minutes or hours on camera. I'm sure he'll be back to normal quick enough...until the next time reality penetrates his thick skull for a few minutes (again hopefully on a hot mic)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BigglesSWE posted:

I swear if Something Awful existed in 1945 every day that passed during the Nuremberg trials without all the nazis being summarily executed would end up with doomers screeching “nothing matters!!”
If Something Awful had existed in WW2, I believe people would not like the probable spread of political opinions, although it's plausible Fiorello Laguardia would have scrapped the servers for interfering with a bond drive.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Honestly, I'm expecting him to double down on the drinking and stress eating and it's going to be a race between the process catching up with him and him doing a Breitbart and dropping dead.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

BigglesSWE posted:

i mean...it really didn't up until it did...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

InsertPotPun posted:

i mean...it really didn't up until it did...
"yeah whatever it's been 7 years and all that's happened is that Germany had to give back some of what they already took, they are stronger than ever and 1945 is gonna be the year when they start running back and winning. I'm confident Hitler will be in a way better position by June. :chaosadolf:"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And that’s a wrap on the doomy “oh god no justice aaaa” chat! I am already swimming in a thousand anxieties so like, can we not?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alex Jones wasn't immediately executed after losing his entire fortune, in a court case that explicitly isn't over yet.

Therefore, nothing matters.

Seriously gently caress OFF with this nothing matters cynicism. The mattering already happened. This trial was the mattering. He lost. Just because the results aren't immediate doesn't mean they don't exist.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Alex Jones wasn't immediately executed after losing his entire fortune, in a court case that explicitly isn't over yet.

Therefore, nothing matters.

I am technically on a break from pushing buttons

Don’t break the oath break

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

teen witch posted:

And that’s a wrap on the doomy “oh god no justice aaaa” chat! I am already swimming in a thousand anxieties so like, can we not?

Make this forums wide plz.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grape posted:

Make this forums wide plz.

:emptyquote:

teen witch posted:

Do it.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 16, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

teen witch posted:

She is

But I am not :getin:

Govern yourselves accordingly

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

teen witch posted:

KitConstantine posted:

She is

But I am not :getin:

Govern yourselves accordingly

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

teen witch posted:

Give me the buttons, I will push them for you.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Oh poo poo , I got buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jestery posted:

Oh poo poo , I got buttons

:rip: