Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Their rules are objectively quite cool and good but agree that they are written very very poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Their rules are objectively quite cool and good but agree that they are written very very poorly.

Would you recommend another source to quickly and easily understand the rules for Kill Team?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Would you recommend another source to quickly and easily understand the rules for Kill Team?

A game with someone who already knows how to play, unfortunately.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Al-Saqr posted:

Wahapedia, at least it's all laid out in one place that way.

E: Also probably some decent Actual Play videos out there on YouTube.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Wahapedia, at least it's all laid out in one place that way.

E: Also probably some decent Actual Play videos out there on YouTube.

I've seen both Play On and Guerilla Miniatures not get the rules exactly right. Are there any sources that do ?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

You are attributing way too much to malice when it's simple incompetence
I don't think there's any malice whatsoever. I think in most cases it's a calculated business decision. If GW were to ever balance a game, that game would be done. There would be no reason to change anything, and that game would simply stagnate and eventually die in an economic sense. If you constantly add new units and churn rules, your game can, in theory, last forever.

As fun as it is to call GW incompetent in every step that they make, they wouldn't have been around this long if they were that dumb.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

If GW were to ever balance a game, that game would be done. There would be no reason to change anything, and that game would simply stagnate and eventually die in an economic sense.

:psydwarf:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
What the gently caress are you on about

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't think there's any malice whatsoever. I think in most cases it's a calculated business decision. If GW were to ever balance a game, that game would be done. There would be no reason to change anything, and that game would simply stagnate and eventually die in an economic sense. If you constantly add new units and churn rules, your game can, in theory, last forever.

As fun as it is to call GW incompetent in every step that they make, they wouldn't have been around this long if they were that dumb.

I don't think anyone has reached that level of transcendence yet.

Chess has been around for over a thousand years, features two symmetrical forces and still isn't balanced.

GW make rules that are good enough, as they are a vehicle by which to sell more toys. There isn't a massive drive to make the tightest ruleset ever as even those companies that pride themselves on trying to do so (eg Warmahordes) haven't yet succeeded.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

"there isn't a massive drive" like two weeks after GW makes an unprecedented video apologising for squats. There is a massive drive. GW themselves market how balanced or how they're balancing their games with metawatch, updates, FAQs etc for 40k, AOS, kill team.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Space Hulk is probably the most balanced asymmetrical boardgame I've ever played.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

"there isn't a massive drive" like two weeks after GW makes an unprecedented video apologising for squats. There is a massive drive. GW themselves market how balanced or how they're balancing their games with metawatch, updates, FAQs etc for 40k, AOS, kill team.

There's a difference between doing a good enough job (which is what I think GW is going for) vs an exemplary performance. I would have felt putting out rules FAQs and attempting to balance things in your game is the bare minimum of effort for customer service, not "a massive drive".

They're not going to tweak every little thing to perfection, they'll get rid of the worst offenders and have some semblance of balance.

It's entirely clear where their priorities are as their miniature (and other hobby products in general) have reached pretty stratospheric levels of quality in comparison to their rules writing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Counterpoint: Blood Bowl. It kept going with zero new stuff from GW for ~15 years and stayed strong.

Though now GW turned their eyes back to it and have been tweaking teams like Underworld Denizens, Norse, and Amazons (for better or for worse)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

moths posted:

Space Hulk is probably the most balanced asymmetrical boardgame I've ever played.

Never played Space Hulk but Root is also a serious contender for this title.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I wish they would re-release it.

Or at least do an asymmetrical version of Kill Team like the original with the squads of mooks and a big boss.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Z the IVth posted:

I wish they would re-release it.

Or at least do an asymmetrical version of Kill Team like the original with the squads of mooks and a big boss.

Custodes on release felt like that but they had to ruin all the fun.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

There is a kiwi guy who makes fantastic game aids and rules summaries. He has one for Kill Team:
https://www.orderofgamers.com/games/kill-team/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beffer posted:

There is a kiwi guy who makes fantastic game aids and rules summaries. He has one for Kill Team:
https://www.orderofgamers.com/games/kill-team/

Wow this is awesome thanks!

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah I mean people complain about gw balance but from what I see in both aos and kt meta is fairly healthy in those. Where gw realy blows is proof reading

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’m sorry how the gently caress is shadowvaults significantly more expensive than into the dark despite not having the core stuff.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/kill-team-shadowvaults-2022-eng

THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS??!?!

No loving way lol if this was priced like into the dark I might have been tempted a few months from now but this is an obscene price for an expansion. I would be happy to pay 150-190 for this a few months from now if I liked kill team but this is an absolute no price for me. How is this more expensive than the giant fuckoff Octarius box set?!

GW hosed up with this one.

EDIT

I AM A GIANT MORON ITS AN AUSTRALIAN LINK THE PRICE IS A NORMAL 180 USA BUCKS KEEPING THIS POST TO HIGHLIGHT HOW DUMB I AM.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 15, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Into the Dark is 360 didgeridollars, though? :confused:

Please make sure you're shopping in your local currency.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Into the Dark is 360 didgeridollars, though? :confused:

Please make sure you're shopping in your local currency.

Oh my god I am a loving moron

It’s only 180 actual American freedom dollars

I’m an idiot

PSA please check your URLs before you get a heart attack like I did.

Although I gotta say it’s pretty wierd that they put up the preorders before they let us know what the full rules are and how drones and stashes affect gameplay.

I really want to know if the Kasrkin-necron gameplay is Funner and if they have breachers and stuff like that.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 15, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Well speak of the devil reviews for shadowvaults are out!

https://youtu.be/SWN7m8wn2CU

https://youtu.be/FRaVsPvbHN8

the Kasrkin have a really interesting feature, how do you make Kasrkin actually feel like better trained guardsmen? give them the ability to add more points to their dice rolls! since the kasrkin are better, they will succeed in their shots far more often! however, unlike the imperial navy they are not melee focused, very much a shooty team.

However, sadly the more I look at the Kasrkin, the more I think it’s a very ‘bland’ and safe team, it’s not taking as many wild swings and risks with mechanics as the Imperial Navy team is.

The necrons however have some really crazy looking units that are quite distinct from 40k, these are the Chronomancer, Psychomancer and Technomancer, really interesting assymetrical unit composition and visually very cool. But the reviews say that it's a very hard team to play and win with that needs an additional unit or two.

game seems interesting so far, but the reviews say that it's not a better or unique set from into the dark, just different. will definitely give it a side glance once more solid reviews and playtests are out and once I'm done evaluating normal kill team as a game. But it seems like if you’re looking for a genuinely ‘new’ and fresh way to play as the imperium the navy breacher team is still the most interesting.

The consensus is that it’s very much a 7/10.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 15, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I'm completely unfamiliar with Nu-Necrons, I'd there a significant difference between the cyclops guys and the skull guys or is it just aesthetics

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with Nu-Necrons, I'd there a significant difference between the cyclops guys and the skull guys or is it just aesthetics

Cyclops Necrons shoot like THIS

Skull Necrons shoot like THIS

I think at this point the smart thing to do is to wait until the entire gallowdark season is released, and then make your purchase decision form there, it would suck to jump into it now if the remaining two boxes are the same set piece with but with factions that may be more to you liking looks/mechanics wise.

So for example let’s find out if the final two sets have cooler sets/factions and then make a combo of one corridor set (ITD or SV) and one new set of whatever it is they do next.

I will say this though, GW would be very stupid to not capitalize on the popularity of deep rock galactic and not make one of the remaining sets include a Voltann team.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 15, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

War and Pieces posted:

do they have different guns or just different heads?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

do they have different guns or just different heads?

Immortals (regular skulls) are a troop choice in 40k. They're tougher and wield heavier weapons than regular warriors and can choose between a guass (necron laser) or tesla weapon (necron lightning)
Deathmarks (cyclops skulls) are an elite sniper unit. They can teleport and have a sniper version of the necron gauss weapons. I don't remember if they have an alternate weapon. Maybe the KT sprue gives them new stuff?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Goonhammer has reviews up

https://www.goonhammer.com/kill-team-shadowvaults-necron-hierotek-circles-rules-review/
https://www.goonhammer.com/kill-team-shadowvaults-review-kasrkin-review/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah I read them, I’m a little bit down on shadowvaults as a result, it’s a real shame the necrons while having some really loving cool minis (the different mancers especially) are missing something vital to make them truly a force to be reckoned with, and the way he’s describing the Kasrkin makes them seem less interesting and exciting to play as than the Imperial Navy Breachers, not BAD but just vanilla.

The rule difference in the core game is very minimal, so if you already have ITD theres no real reason to get this beyond the minis, for a prospective new buyer like me down the line it’s now a legit toss up between ITD and Shadowvault, the only real weak point of ITD is the Kroot in terms of being ‘cool’ but the kroot are mechanically very good.

I definitely will wait until I see what the third and fourth editions look like before I get anything Gallowdark related, it would super suck to find out the next two sets are the same thing as this with only the teams being different, and who knows maybe a super exciting faction combo is next. For now overall I’m leaning towards the Imperial Navy since they’re the most interesting faction so far and most appropriate to the setting. And it would be pretty fun to have them as a complement to my Krieg Squad if I ever expand and try out 3-4 player missions, like a bunch of snooty navyfolk having to deal with smelly guardsmen.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 15, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Immortals (regular skulls) are a troop choice in 40k. They're tougher and wield heavier weapons than regular warriors and can choose between a guass (necron laser) or tesla weapon (necron lightning)
Deathmarks (cyclops skulls) are an elite sniper unit. They can teleport and have a sniper version of the necron gauss weapons. I don't remember if they have an alternate weapon. Maybe the KT sprue gives them new stuff?

The characters here seem to be cyclops so it seems like those are the elites?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For what it's worth some other reviewers are a lot more positive on the Necrons in the box. Personally I'm sorta on the fence, they did a good job making the Kasrkin not just "the vet guards but better" but they did it by making them not massively exciting unfortunately and they're coming very quickly after a much more flavourful imo kill team in the breachers who are very much still an Imperial Guard offshoot. I was really expecting Shadowvaults to be like a League of Votann vs Necrons box or something like that personally. The terrain being the same is good for boarding actions theoretically but if you have no interest in that just compromises the core thing of buying the box which is getting all the stuff together at a slight discount. Even then it could have been walls and doors but differently adorned walls like Necron-y ones or whatever since the Gallowdark is supposed to be loads of different ships all smashed together.

As I said earlier in the thread, I expect they put the Kasrkin in this box, made that decision ages ago because of how production works and it's coming out so early purely because they wanted them to be available for when the Imp Guard army box comes out, it sounds like that's soon but maybe there was some timeline issues that have made it come about. Shame it sounds like from the early playtesting leaks that codex/release might also be underwhelming (that's just what I'm hearing though, I'm so new to both Kill Team and 40k that I have no insight into that. In other hobbies I'm very used to reactions to leaks being overblown so I'm somewhat expecting that to come out and be fine to good personally).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 15, 2022

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I guess there really wasn't any way around it short of packing three different crypteks in the box, but it does feel weird to have the necron boss not have all the parts for the different loadouts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The more I look at the Imperial navy, the more I’m convinced that this is the faction I want if I ever get to Into the Dark, I’m excited about the possibilities of kitbashing a unique look and feel to them, their bodies are perfectly fine, they’re great. The big thing I wanna see is if I can replace the heads with more of a ‘imperial privateer and miner’ look and feel to them, like a bunch of hard bitten veterans out on another imperial busting in ‘italian job.’ Caper.

To do this I would probably need to look at the fantasy warhammer stuff to find out if the humans have a pirate or miner faction in them, and I want to see if I can figure out how to incorporate more old timey turn of the century hats and diving suit helmets like bio shock for the grenadier or something, maybe even find a parrot for the sergeant or a canary for the comms, I think it would be a super fun idea if I ever get around to into the dark!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

gently caress it, call me an idiot bozo or whatever lol but I bit the bullet and bought both the Rogue Trader (the very last copy available on Amazon!) and GellerPox teams, the models just look so loving awesome and I've already invested in paints and stuff so I might as well get them while there's a good discount on them on amazon, I'm not sure if ever they'll get a reprint so I might as well. they will be immensely fun to paint though!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 16, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
One of us. One of us.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

One of us. One of us.

MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR THE SKULL THRONE

It’s games workshops fault for making both the rogue trader and Gellerpox look so awesome!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Khorne: "Money? I was wanting a skull!"
Khorne's brain: "Wait! We can use this!"
Khorne: "Go on..."
Khorne's brain: "We can use the money to buy more skulls!"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
EXPLAIN HOW

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lumpy posted:

EXPLAIN HOW

WE START A SKULL PYRAMID SCHEME.

Ok seriously guys quick question, I want to still use the kill team box to store and transport my minis with, but I don’t want them to jumble and scratch each other when I do, any advice? Do I just get two slices of foam to fit in the box and sandwich the minis inside?

Also I found a very cool token and card organizer for kill team, I will definitely purchase this and print it out at a local 3D print shop:-

https://www.etsy.com/listing/116845...k=1&bes=1&sts=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

If you're gonna start a skull pyramid scheme, I hope you know the angle of repose for a pile of skulls.