Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Can you link that DW article or video? I'd like to have a look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Do you have a source?

I was wondering which of the two fronts they would be focusing on next; sounds like it's Kherson, if confirmed.

Just lots of Twitter/social media bullshit so far. Nothing credible enough on its own to repost. Ukraine hasn't been announcing these moves publicly so official confirmation will have to come after the fact.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

I guess so, that's how they accomplished the advances in the first place. That said, Ukraine can spare the manpower and Russia cannot.

It's daring to say that they can spare it, after all Ukrainians too have lost many of their veterans and now that they are on the offensive, there is a pressing need for reserves so that same units don't have to be in front for weeks without rest. But having mostly fresh recruits undergoing training is probably enough backup on that front. Russia can't attack with freshly mobilised troops so if they want to move experienced mechanized units there instead of say Kherson, good. Ukraine controls the interior lines so it's easy for them to move reserves from one sector to another if necessary. For Russia the distance is far longer.

I'm skeptical though about these rumours, they may well be intentionally generated by Russia.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Feliday Melody posted:

As Swedish military, personnel. About Sweden not sharing intel with Germany. When Russia first started the invasion of Ukraine. Sweden responded by placing tanks on Gotland. German state TV then accused Sweden of provoking Russia. Declaring it was a threat to Moscow.

Antigravitas posted:

Seconding that request.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They seem to be moving tanks out of Belarus, which is a strange thing to do if they want to attack from there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Feliday Melody posted:

As Swedish military, personnel. About Sweden not sharing intel with Germany. When Russia first started the invasion of Ukraine. Sweden responded by placing tanks on Gotland. German state TV then accused Sweden of provoking Russia. Declaring it was a threat to Moscow.

There isn't really such a thing as German State TV, it's public broadcasting. Russia has State TV.

I think this is a very important distinction and we should be careful with our language.

That being said, I agree that Germany's stance has been rather disappointing, especially at the
start of the war. They've since come around a great deal but there are still pro-Russia elements in German politics and media that are either claiming to be anti-war (left) or pro cheap gas and facism lol (far right)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 15, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OddObserver posted:

They seem to be moving tanks out of Belarus, which is a strange thing to do if they want to attack from there.

Maybe a swap, use Belarussian troops and equipment to defend Russian gains in Ukraine, but use Russian mobiks to keep the piece in Belarus in their absence?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

spankmeister posted:

There isn't really such a thing as German State TV, it's public broadcasting. Russia has State TV.

There is, and it's DW. It is directly state funded.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Just lots of Twitter/social media bullshit so far. Nothing credible enough on its own to repost. Ukraine hasn't been announcing these moves publicly so official confirmation will have to come after the fact.

Closest thing to evidence at this point is Russian milbloggers + FIRMS Data

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1581340698585931776

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Just to add to this for our American friends: A lot of European nations, like Germany, Sweden, Finland, etc., have state-funded television/media networks. They're supposed to be outside political control (I think this is a thing everywhere in Europe? Correct me if I'm being naive), but as one can imagine, it's not always a... Perfect system. That said, this is very different from a Russian-style state-organized and content-directed media apparatus, which is more akin to Goebbels's ministry of propaganda poo poo-show.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Closest thing to evidence at this point is Russian milbloggers + FIRMS Data

Thanks! I think Def Mon has a bit of a pro-Ukrainian bias, but his reports have been reliable in the past. I certainly hope the Ukrainians are indeed about to launch a successful offensive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Yes, but they're still independent and not state propaganda. Unlike something like RT.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

It was right before the war even.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1484819191253377024

There's a related RT article from about the same time, which is funny in retrospect.

https://www.rt.com/russia/546166-sweden-tanks-gotland-russians-invade/

quote:

Residents of the sleepy town of Visby on the Swedish island of Gotland awoke to the sound of heavy military hardware roaring through the streets on Saturday. The Swedish Army’s Stridsfordon 90 infantry fighting vehicles had arrived overnight to secure the tranquil coastal town and its port.

The Swedish military said the effort “should be seen” as part of Sweden adapting its strategy “to the tense situation between Russia and Ukraine,” which has been grabbing media headlines for several months. The US and its NATO allies have claimed that Russian troops are set to invade neighboring Ukraine as early as January or February. Moscow has dismissed the statements as “fake news.”

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks! I think Def Mon has a bit of a pro-Ukrainian bias, but his reports have been reliable in the past. I certainly hope the Ukrainians are indeed about to launch a successful offensive.

"A bit" is underselling it, he's about as far from a neutral source as you can get. But most of the minute-to-minute type reports are either from pro-Ukrainian or pro-Russian diehards, so it is what it is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581345747777179651

By 'free' he of course means 'I would like the markets to give me back the tens of billions of dollars I've lost over the last couple of days picking a bad fight'

e: if he plays it straight then he might get to come out of this with his reputation enhanced the way it should have been.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 15, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Feliday Melody posted:

It was right before the war even.

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1484819191253377024

There's a related RT article from about the same time, which is funny in retrospect.

https://www.rt.com/russia/546166-sweden-tanks-gotland-russians-invade/

Ah, so not state media then. And some really aggressive clipping that should make anyone suspicious.

That Twitter person is lying about the content of that tiny clip. The question is "how does Russia perceive this", not "what is Sweden doing".

He's not talking about what should be, what ought to be, or making a moral judgement. He's doing the job of a correspondent.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Although he's very pro-Ukrainian in his editorialising he is very strict about his daily updates, only reporting progress on either side with verified geolocated evidence. This has both pros and cons, as he's often the last to properly recognise captured territory during rapid offensives such as Kharkiv, but his maps are always reliable even when they're a bit behind.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alchenar posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581345747777179651

By 'free' he of course means 'I would like the markets to give me back the tens of billions of dollars I've lost over the last couple of days picking a bad fight'

e: if he plays it straight then he might get to come out of this with his reputation enhanced the way it should have been.

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic in a "take my ball and go home" kind of way which means yeah probably he is

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic in a "take my ball and go home" kind of way which means yeah probably he is

The guy's got more than $200 billion personal wealth and they claim Starlink is costing $100 million a year. He could literally cover the cost for the next 2000 years out of his own pocket.

I really wish he would shut the gently caress up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Elon Musk tweets is they mean nothing. He will change his mind like an hour later, he does it stir people up and be the center of attention. Ignore him entirely.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The rational expectation of russia is that they might just be parking untrained conscripts in belarus as a 'buildup of forces' that forces Ukraine to divert its own reserves and rotated troops more heavily there, so as to indirectly benefit the other fronts by reducing what Ukraine can safely commit.

This is russia, however, so stupid cruel idiot moves like "cannon fodder kyiv assault" are always on the table

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

spankmeister posted:

Yes, but they're still independent and not state propaganda. Unlike something like RT.

See, I'd dispute that. Quote Deutsche-Welle-Gesetz $4 (deepl)

quote:

Deutsche Welle's offerings are intended to make Germany understandable as a nation of culture* that has developed in Europe and as a free democratic constitutional state. They are intended to provide a forum for German and other points of view on important topics, especially in the fields of politics, culture and economics, both in Europe and on other continents, with the aim of promoting understanding and exchange between cultures and peoples. Deutsche Welle promotes the German language in particular.

* That is not an accurate translation of Kulturnation, but you get the drift

It's no less state propaganda just because it tends to have fairly high journalistic standards and independence from direct political interference. It tends to be a decent source, but half of its council is appointed by the government.

Radio Free Europe is a similar deal.

e: It's no RT of course in terms of journalism

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Would you be able to "catch" a suicide drone by putting fishing nets around a target?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

To be fair, playing "will they, won't they" on the Belarusian border isn't the worst idea to draw away Ukrainian troops from the Kherson and Donbas fronts.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Just to add to this for our American friends: A lot of European nations, like Germany, Sweden, Finland, etc., have state-funded television/media networks. They're supposed to be outside political control (I think this is a thing everywhere in Europe? Correct me if I'm being naive), but as one can imagine, it's not always a... Perfect system. That said, this is very different from a Russian-style state-organized and content-directed media apparatus, which is more akin to Goebbels's ministry of propaganda poo poo-show.

Most Americans here are likely well acquainted with this concept already, thanks primarily to a certain outlet you forgot to mention: The BBC. We also get DW and the Japanese NHK on our esoteric PBS stations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FishBulbia posted:

Would you be able to "catch" a suicide drone by putting fishing nets around a target?

Yes, if they are strong enough and spaced far enough away that the target isn't still hosed up by shrapnel.

In WW2 steel cables held up by balloons were used to protect targets against V1 strikes.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Brave New World posted:

Most Americans here are likely well acquainted with this concept already, thanks primarily to a certain outlet you forgot to mention: The BBC. We also get DW and the Japanese NHK on our esoteric PBS stations.
and the CBC from Canada

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brave New World posted:

and i mean NPR exists also

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Phlegmish posted:

impressive that he manages a pro-ukraine bias while using almost entirely russian information/postings

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Two conscripts opened fire on other soldiers at a shooting range of a military base near Belgorod. At least 13 dead, including the shooters. MoD say the shooters where from a CIS country, while right-wing telegram channels go further and specify the two were from Tajikistan.

https://ria.ru/20221015/terakt-1824340408.html

For context, at the start of Putin's partial mobilisation there were conflicting reports about immigrants being pressured into signing military contracts right in immigration centres. Holders of dual Tajik-Russian citizenships were also reportedly disproportionally targeted by military recruitment offices. Incidentally, yesterday president Rakhmon criticised Putin for still treating Tajikistan as a Soviet republic and mentioned that at least 600k Tajik citizens work in Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

impressive that he manages a pro-ukraine bias while using almost entirely russian information/postings
Reality has a pro-ukraine bias

Paladinus posted:

Two conscripts opened fire on other soldiers at a shooting range of a military base near Belgorod. At least 13 dead, including the shooters. MoD say the shooters where from a CIS country, while right-wing telegram channels go further and specify the two were from Tajikistan.

For context, at the start of Putin's partial mobilisation there were conflicting reports about immigrants being pressured into signing military contracts right in immigration centres. Holders of dual Tajik-Russian citizenships were also reportedly disproportionally targeted by military recruitment offices. Incidentally, yesterday president Rakhmon criticised Putin for still treating Tajikistan as a Soviet republic and mentioned that at least 600k Tajik citizens work in Russia.
Some random ru tweets were suggesting that this was done by Ukrainians that snuck in, but this seems way more likely if they've finally had enough

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Some random ru tweets were suggesting that this was done by Ukrainians that snuck in, but this seems way more likely if they've finally had enough

I'm not sure Russian MoD would classify Ukraine as part of CIS. Although it is still listed as such on CIS's own website, despite the fact that Ukraine left the organisation under Poroshenko.

https://e-cis.info/country/ukraina/

If you look closer, you may also notice that based on country's area, CIS still officially recognises Crimea and other occupied territories as part of Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes, if they are strong enough and spaced far enough away that the target isn't still hosed up by shrapnel.

In WW2 steel cables held up by balloons were used to protect targets against V1 strikes.

afaik the lancet drones use shaped charges, so even if it did detonate it would be a lot weaker.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Also, a military commissar was found hanging off a fence, having passed away due to his heart stopping. In a cruel twist of fate, that happened in the city of Partizansk no less. https://t.me/partizansk_go/9984

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't seen much reaction to these moves, I feel leaders should be speaking up more to deter this. Maybe there's just a lot going on, if anyone has recent statements from major players I'd like to see it.

I have little doubt that this will actually happen at this point. If Russia falls apart Lukashenko will go with it, so either he tries to help now or risks watching his sponsor drown in it's own blood. It'll probably horribly backfire anyways, but Putin's dragged him into this dumbest of corners with him.

An official expansion to this war will not bode well. I think Ukraine can hold them off but it will of course slow down their offenses, and geopolitics will go into a steeper nose dive with yet another country joining open war.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, a military commissar was found hanging off a fence, having passed away due to his heart stopping. In a cruel twist of fate, that happened in the city of Partizansk no less. https://t.me/partizansk_go/9984

What? Do they mean he had a heart attack and was found slumped over a fence, or that this guy had hanged himself or was hanged?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sucrose posted:

What? Do they mean he had a heart attack and was found slumped over a fence, or that this guy had hanged himself or was hanged?

It’s a classic example of Russian police-style editorialisation. The guy either was murdered or committed suicide by hanging, but neither of the options being proclaimed would reflect well on the local military commissariat.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Orthanc6 posted:

I haven't seen much reaction to these moves, I feel leaders should be speaking up more to deter this. Maybe there's just a lot going on, if anyone has recent statements from major players I'd like to see it.

I have little doubt that this will actually happen at this point. If Russia falls apart Lukashenko will go with it, so either he tries to help now or risks watching his sponsor drown in it's own blood. It'll probably horribly backfire anyways, but Putin's dragged him into this dumbest of corners with him.

An official expansion to this war will not bode well. I think Ukraine can hold them off but it will of course slow down their offenses, and geopolitics will go into a steeper nose dive with yet another country joining open war.

This "2nd shot at Kyiv" idea is not being taken seriously because it would be catastrophically stupid. It would go much worse now than it did back in February, now that Ukraine is better trained and armed. Everything of any value or significance sent down would be lit up by HIMARS.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Rigel posted:

This "2nd shot at Kyiv" idea is not being taken seriously because it would be catastrophically stupid. It would go much worse now than it did back in February, now that Ukraine is better trained and armed. Everything of any value or significance sent down would be lit up by HIMARS.

That 40 km traffic jam would have had many smoking accidents at himars o'clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's much more likely that Russia is just plundering Belorussian depots and shipping all that materiel east.