Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thanks, I thought there might have been a registry toggle or a prayer. I'll just wait here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I'm trying to fix an issue I had in 10 too. My girlfriend has a local account set up on my counter without a password. If she shuts down on her account, it will auto login on the next boot. I want it to go to the lock screen on start up every time. Do I really have to buy Pro to do that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Possibly, but in that case I'd just set a generic pin like 1234.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Possibly, but in that case I'd just set a generic pin like 1234.
There are actually complexity requirements for pins, believe it or not.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I've had Win11 installed for quite some time now with TPM off on my AMD system. I installed it that way using Rufus or whatever to disable the check.

ASRock finally put out a BIOS update a few days ago for my board that has the audio fix and whatever else. Installing it will also reset my BIOS and default to TPM on.

Will I need to re-install Windows after TPM gets flipped on?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

owls or something posted:

I've had Win11 installed for quite some time now with TPM off on my AMD system. I installed it that way using Rufus or whatever to disable the check.

ASRock finally put out a BIOS update a few days ago for my board that has the audio fix and whatever else. Installing it will also reset my BIOS and default to TPM on.

Will I need to re-install Windows after TPM gets flipped on?

No. If you forced the install with TPM off, turning it on later doesn't change anything.

It's going the other direction that can be a problem.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

No. If you forced the install with TPM off, turning it on later doesn't change anything.

It's going the other direction that can be a problem.

I will say that turning it on after install can be a bit of a pain on Linux, and require re-registering your Nvidia card, for instance.

Edit: Wait, I might be conflating TPM with SecureBoot.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
wtf its patch tuesday wheres the windows 11 update that turns it into god mode

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BoosterDuck posted:

wtf its patch tuesday wheres the windows 11 update that turns it into god mode

Check again now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Check again now.

Yeah there's an orange dot.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It's probably a dumb question but I have 2 PCs that I upgraded to Win11 despite not qualifying for it normally. Do I have to do the Win10 trick to get them updated onto 22H2 or did Microsoft stop that in its tracks?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Island Nation posted:

It's probably a dumb question but I have 2 PCs that I upgraded to Win11 despite not qualifying for it normally. Do I have to do the Win10 trick to get them updated onto 22H2 or did Microsoft stop that in its tracks?

Updates in future may fail, but it seems it is not this day.

To upgrade to 22H2 now, create an ISO using the Media Creation Tool, then use Rufus to mount and modify it to remove the necessity for TPM 2.0, if that's what your blocker was.

I've used this easy peasy method on a circa 2012/2013 lvy Bridge laptop and it works a treat.

If this or future methods fail, you'll still be able to install Windows 10, which is getting security and extremely minor (as I understand it) feature updates until July 2025.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the new task manager freaks me out a little

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

barnold posted:

the new task manager freaks me out a little

Why? It can't collapse real small anymore which is annoying. Otherwise seems more or less like just a tidied up version of the old one.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Pvt. Parts posted:

Why? It can't collapse real small anymore which is annoying. Otherwise seems more or less like just a tidied up version of the old one.

i dont like end task being above the tasklist because i am incapable of processing change

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Literally opened this thread for the first time in months to bitch about the task manger.

The tiny, unlabeled icons instead of normal tabs can gently caress right off. :hmmyes: an analog gauge is "startup apps", makes total sense.

You have to make it really huge to get the text and it takes up an unnecessary amount of screen space. Doesn't really matter because I'm replacing it with Process Explorer immediately anyway.

Also is it just me or are there fewer and fewer of the underlined access keys (that you activate with Alt+key), and yes I did turn it on in accessibility settings.

---
E: An actual question. I had my taskbar at the top to hide the camera cutout but the update reset it and it seems like the registry setting no longer works. Has anyone solved this?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 15, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ill be happy when user interfaces go back to textual lables. Icons suck.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to make all OS notifications have the "Dismiss" button? I've been using Phone Link lately, and it's quite nice, except its notifications don't have that button, so even if I click the x to close the notification, it still sits in the notification area, as opposed to other types of notifications that do have that button, so I only have to interact with them once.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

redeyes posted:

Ill be happy when user interfaces go back to textual lables. Icons suck.

Eh, the icons are fine and you can figure out what they mean the 2nd time you open the program. Much less cluttered visually. And the startup icon is a gauge, kind of like a throttle, as it's the computer coming "up to speed" and getting ready to perform. The first listing on that page is even the last BIOS time. Makes good sense to me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pvt. Parts posted:

Eh, the icons are fine and you can figure out what they mean the 2nd time you open the program. Much less cluttered visually. And the startup icon is a gauge, kind of like a throttle, as it's the computer coming "up to speed" and getting ready to perform. The first listing on that page is even the last BIOS time. Makes good sense to me.

Startup tasks are also one of the things that can slow down startup, so that tab is of interest to people wondering why their machine starts slowly. "I really want to make things faster, oh hay a speedometer icon."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're really going to defend an analog gauge for "startup apps" as intuitive when when another tab is literally called Performance? I know you can get used to anything eventually of course. Anyway it's gone now so I don't have to worry about it any more :) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

And the solution to the taskbar location and as it turned out, a lot of other annoying issues, turned out to be called Explorer Patcher.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Startup tasks are also one of the things that can slow down startup, so that tab is of interest to people wondering why their machine starts slowly. "I really want to make things faster, oh hay a speedometer icon."

this is such a monumental stretch lmao

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mobby_6kl posted:

You're really going to defend an analog gauge for "startup apps" as intuitive when when another tab is literally called Performance? I know you can get used to anything eventually of course. Anyway it's gone now so I don't have to worry about it any more :) https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

And the solution to the taskbar location and as it turned out, a lot of other annoying issues, turned out to be called Explorer Patcher.

I'm not defending, I'm speculating on the reasoning. It's such a trivial issue it didn't occur to me to poo poo my pants over the change.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
O I wish I actually poo poo my pants!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I started noticing glitching in video playback and audio. Did about 12 hours of troubleshooting.. Turns out my Win 11 Core i7 12900k is hosed. I'm getting DPC latency spikes to the point the system dies entirely. This started about a week ago, maybe after 22H2. At this point you can't really go back to a earlier build without it making GBS threads it pants and wanting to upgrade. You might say, well SSD is screwed, I've tried 3x.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What could cause a USB drive to be unrecognized by Windows Explorer, but show up in the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" system tray thing?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

What could cause a USB drive to be unrecognized by Windows Explorer, but show up in the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" system tray thing?

If it's formatted in a filesystem Windows can't read, like ext4 or HFS that could happen, I believe.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

hooah posted:

Have you checked Disk Management to see if the volumes are being detected there? Sometimes Windows doesn't automatically assign drive letters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Have you checked Disk Management to see if the volumes are being detected there? Sometimes Windows doesn't automatically assign drive letters.

Nothing there either. It actually stopped showing up in the eject hardware thing. Plugged it into my Fedora laptop, and it was detected and read fine. But that laptop's decided that it doesn't have a track pad again, so now I have a different problem.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

Nothing there either. It actually stopped showing up in the eject hardware thing. Plugged it into my Fedora laptop, and it was detected and read fine. But that laptop's decided that it doesn't have a track pad again, so now I have a different problem.

Load up GParted and delete all partitions etc. on the drive. Next time you plug it into your Windows machine it should ask if you want to format the volume (can't remember if it uses the term "initialise".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Load up GParted and delete all partitions etc. on the drive. Next time you plug it into your Windows machine it should ask if you want to format the volume (can't remember if it uses the term "initialise".

Nope, still the same behavior. GParted detected an NTFS-formatted partition, FWIW.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Smack the drive around to show it who's boss.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

Nope, still the same behavior. GParted detected an NTFS-formatted partition, FWIW.

Did you delete that partition in GParted?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Did you delete that partition in GParted?

Pretty sure. I haven't used it before, but it seems straightforward enough.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Got the update that ads tabs to file explorer today. It's p cool, though I wish there was an option to hide the close tab button on each tab, since middle click works the same way it does in every browser on earth, including middle clicking folders to open them in another tab.

You can't drag tabs off the window to open them as separate windows, nor drag tabs between windows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm getting sick of my work-provided Targus dock. It's a DisplayLink dock with a USB-C port to go to the computer. I swap the USB-C input/output between my work laptop (MacBook) and my Windows 11 desktop by switching the cable that's plugged into that port. For whatever reason, it's started acting hinky lately on Windows. Sometimes I'll continuously hear Windows's USB disconnect/connect sound, about a second apart, and each pair has maybe two or three seconds between the two. I can't use a Thunderbolt dock since my desktop CPU is a Ryzen 2600, so doesn't have the support.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to easily swap between these computers? I don't need video from my desktop to my monitors; they're connected separately from the dock. But, I do need video from the laptop to the monitors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to get a swipe from the right to show the quick setting or whatever that panel was called before, with like airplane mode, brightness and volume adjustment? I almost never actually need to access the notifications that they put there now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there any way to get a swipe from the right to show the quick setting or whatever that panel was called before, with like airplane mode, brightness and volume adjustment? I almost never actually need to access the notifications that they put there now.

Winkey+A does that, no idea if you can change it to a gesture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

Winkey+A does that, no idea if you can change it to a gesture.
Huh, I didn't know about the Win+A shortcut, but yeah it wouldn't help in this case. I bought a small 10" Yoga type laptop for traveling and it's actually small and light enough to comfortable use as a tablet occasionally, or in the tent mode in like a plane.

There's no way to easily adjust the brightness or volume in case you're watching a movie or something. Have to triple-swipe up (am I the only one who finds this uncomfortable because my fingers are different length?), then try to hit a small icon in the taskbar. If I miss it in a bumpy plane, it auto-hides and I have to do all over again. I wish they stopped trying to make the stupid widgets happen and just put it on the left side if they really must have this useless panel on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

You can swipe from bottom.