Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

well yeah, it was determined not to be his fault because
https://twitter.com/ImpunityCity/status/1580240829788004352

she died of road diet, not with road diet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That's really weird. Sounds like a particularly stupid cop. Around here, if two cars are in a crash, the testimony of the drivers does not matter at all. The cops will write it down but they usually are quite clear that no one gives a gently caress about driver testimony.
The testimony of a driver is worth that of two cyclists.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

cat botherer posted:

The testimony of a driver is worth that of infinite dead cyclists.

Meanwhile, this is my hockey rig, it slaps(hots):

Unfortunately there's no good way to attach the stick bag to the cart but on the plus side I can use it to joust with cars or other cyclists if needed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

this is much closer to a cogent argument than ending your post with "but sure, cars bad, always, no matter what"

People in this thread get real exhausting with the negativity sometimes. I'm old and tired. The only thing worse is people forgetting that it's the anti-car thread, not the pro-bike thread. The hate, the endless hate, it's so much

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still like posting in and reading this thread because cars are awful, drivers suck, and talking about transit is fun

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People in this thread get real exhausting with the negativity sometimes. I'm old and tired. The only thing worse is people forgetting that it's the anti-car thread, not the pro-bike thread. The hate, the endless hate, it's so much

thread was at its best when it was more about humane, transit centered urban design than its current incarnation, albeit brief

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think any driver that kills a non-driver and receives no charges should face justice at the hands of a mob.

If we're going to change car culture we need people to literally be afraid for their future when getting behind the wheel.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Greatbacon posted:

I think any driver that kills a non-driver and receives no charges should face justice at the hands of a mob.

If we're going to change car culture we need people to literally be afraid for their future when getting behind the wheel.

I believe in some Euro countries any accident between a bicycle and a car is automatically the car's fault unless they can prove otherwise. Something like that legitimately seems sensible and logical to me, given the enormous speed and capability for damage difference between a bike and a car.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Here's an example of what an Italian low traffic zone looks like in the morning (from an admittedly fairly touristy old town centre. Still had lots of restaurants, clothing shops, pharmacies, offices, doctor's etc). Delivery vehicles are allowed only at certain times, and during most of the day only licensed taxis, emergency vehicles, and transport for disabled people are on the street. Often enforced by movable bollards rather than traffic police or cameras.

It works mostly the same in Bordeaux. Being in these places is just so much more pleasant than a car infested high street. And it isn't just tourist hotspots - the smallish french town I live in has a similar system on its highstreet and it's fantastic. One way outside peak hours, then a bollard comes up and it's for people and bikes only.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Blackhawk posted:

I believe in some Euro countries any accident between a bicycle and a car is automatically the car's fault unless they can prove otherwise. Something like that legitimately seems sensible and logical to me, given the enormous speed and capability for damage difference between a bike and a car.

This is essentially true in the Netherlands, although it's a bit more complicated, so here's a flow chart

Basically even if you make a mistake as a cyclist, the driver is 50% responsible, or 100% if you're under 14. So it's not quite carte blanche to ignore all right of way as a cyclist, but you're also not going to see drivers getting off scott free basically ever.

It certainly makes drivers more careful - and gives cyclists, pedestrians etc the confidence to take their right of way, e.g. at the special Dutch roundabouts. You don't see cyclists hesitating, thinking "ooh is that car going to stop?" - if they do, they're a tourist.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

People in this thread get real exhausting with the negativity sometimes. I'm old and tired. The only thing worse is people forgetting that it's the anti-car thread, not the pro-bike thread.

[i love bikes]

mystes
May 31, 2006

The only thing worse than people being anti car and negative is when they forget they're supposed to be anti car and negative and are positive and pro bike?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ate cars, ate driving, simple as

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mameluke posted:

If you hate red light cameras you're not a leftist

Edit: furthermore, police violence doesn't count if levelled against a driver

It has red right in the name

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

It has red right in the name
Similar if you like right turn on red you're a fascist

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

distortion park posted:

Here's an example of what an Italian low traffic zone looks like

Mama mia!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Might say this pedestrian just had a rotten streak of luck, but our car culture/infrastructure make this way more likely than it should be.
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1580982291421343744?t=NIWBFIc0QokAAkOULpL9gg&s=19

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

No arrests were made in either crash as cops continue to investigate.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

No arrests were made in either crash as cops continue to investigate.
"the cops were unable to investigate after they accidentally ran over the witnesses"

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lobster shirt posted:

ate cars, ate driving, simple as

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

distortion park posted:

One thing the UK does do ok at is level boarding - it's much more common, at least in the South, than in most of mainland europe.

I was here a couple weeks ago! Yeah I can't recall the last time I boarded at level.

this is what I rode today:

and

https://i.imgur.com/HfgkWR1.mp4https://i.imgur.com/Ar94pTx.mp4

show me a car that can drive up a 64% incline

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
it’s only car culture when other people do it, my suburban sprawl is just good planning

this subforum posted:

I’ve spent a lot of time in those areas and it’s so gross. Always made me laugh when my family laughed at the size of my hometown but uh it doesn’t look like trash like Worcester? I don’t have to spend hours in the car going for coffee or to the mall?

Car culture is so normal over there and their commutes much longer than on the west coast, things are planned better out here because it’s newer. I love my 5 min Costco drive.

The best thing is, I’m surrounded by trees. I live in the forest basically and even though Costco is just 5 min away. Doesn’t feel like I’m surrounded by retail buildings, strip malls etc.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

duomo posted:

it’s only car culture when other people do it, my suburban sprawl is just good planning

lol this totally is written like someone who lives in one of the outskirts burbs in the sea-tac metro area. Like they live in issaquah or snoqualmie.

my costco rules because IT HAS TREES ALL AROUND IT

mystes
May 31, 2006

duomo posted:

There's something really weird about how people who like suburbs have this disconnect where when they think about "suburbs" they just imagine their house, and even though they apparently like driving to costco to do their shopping, all of the stroads and stores aren't part of "suburbs" to them because they have been safely pushed away from their house.

It's like their vision of the world is some sort of video game map where they're in their house and then they go to a map screen and click on "costco" and instantly arrive and the part in between doesn't even exist.

I think this is more obvious when they go somewhere else because they are forced to actually pay attention to the part in between that shouldn't exist.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
"Yes, my sprawling, car-dependent neighborhood was built on freshly bulldozed pristine forest, what of it? I can see a tree out my window, which means my home is eco-friendly, unlike those multifamily homes going up to replace parking lots and multimillion dollar ramshackle shacks in the dirty city."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Letting consumers do their own shopping was a mistake. That guy who started piggly wiggly made a huge mistake letting people pick out their own food. Paved the way for the nightmare hellscape we live today where there's a million stores and strip malls for everyone to personally browse every shelve filled with 10x of the same poo poo with different brand labels.

mystes
May 31, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Letting consumers do their own shopping was a mistake. That guy who started piggly wiggly made a huge mistake letting people pick out their own food. Paved the way for the nightmare hellscape we live today where there's a million stores and strip malls for everyone to personally browse every shelve filled with 10x of the same poo poo with different brand labels.
People seem to love it though, it's genuinely really weird to me, but I guess choosing between identical items is like the entire reward that we get for going to work every day

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the biggest mistake was inventing cars imo

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

if children can't bike to school you've failed as a city

mystes
May 31, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

if children can't bike to school you've failed as a city
What if it's your entire country or possibly the majority of the planet?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Just let me go to the Amazon or whatever warehouse myself, go into a little room built on the front of it, beep boop on some kiosk, sit in a chair for a few minutes, and then pick my stuff up at the window when my name is called

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Like ordering a sandwich

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

mystes posted:

What if it's your entire country or possibly the majority of the planet?

I said city so rural schools don't count, but yeah it's a drat shame that most cities are failures. Fortunately they don't have to be! Amsterdam was a failure of a city in the 70s and look at it now. Always room for improvement though.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Just let me go to the Amazon or whatever warehouse myself, go into a little room built on the front of it, beep boop on some kiosk, sit in a chair for a few minutes, and then pick my stuff up at the window when my name is called

I remember department stores that worked like that as late as the 80s. The main floor was just a show room. If you wanted something, you wrote a number down on a piece of paper, took it up to a desk and they would go into the back and bring out your item.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i like going to the grocery store but i do not like driving there

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the best part of having a local grocer in walking distance is getting insanely high and ambling over there to stare at the sodas and snacks

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I drive to costco like once a month and hate every minute of it but for any non bulk stuff I just walk to safeway or fredmeyer and its just chill. Apparently there's a grocery outlet that's walking distance too that I should try out.

The costco parking lot is a terrifying place of anarchy and everyone is trying to get in/out as fast as they can that im shocked there aren't more deaths in that place.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
having a local grocery is lifechanging and the fact that we, as a society, went out of our way to make sure as many people as possible don't have one is absurd

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

silicone thrills posted:

I drive to costco like once a month and hate every minute of it but for any non bulk stuff I just walk to safeway or fredmeyer and its just chill. Apparently there's a grocery outlet that's walking distance too that I should try out.

Groce Out is amazing it's like a thrift store for food. Just don't get too attached to anything because it probably only exists in some tiny chain on the other side of the country and you'll never see it again.

Also check the expiration date on anything you won't eat immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

The costco parking lot is a terrifying place of anarchy and everyone is trying to get in/out as fast as they can that im shocked there aren't more deaths in that place.
I got a Costco membership a few months ago to feed my Coke addiction (they've got the cheapest prices in town, AFAIK), but had been getting it delivered as I'm car-free and that area has seen a ton of cyclists murdered. Rented a Zipcar yesterday to get out to the range and had an extra hour to kill, so decided to check out the Seattle Costco in-person for the first time. I arrived nine minutes after the store opened and the parking lot was already absolutely packed. Walked in the front doors and there was already a stream of stressed people hurrying out with just piles and piles of stuff—how they managed it in ten minutes, I couldn't say. Might hop on the bus with a trolley cart if I want to try it again, but the whole thing offered a pretty stark contrast to my typical leisurely stroll to my local groceries.

Walkable neighborhoods are cool and good.