Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Wiltsghost posted:

Played Scorn for half an hour and just kind of wandering around. I think I'm too dumb for this

Sup too dumb for this game buddy. I’m goin back to farming and citybuilding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Why is the CMA stanning for Sony so hard?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

UK Competiton & Markets Authority posted:

There are few, if any, alternative franchises with CoD's level of brand awareness and popularity amongst gamers.

:crossarms:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Why is the CMA stanning for Sony so hard?

I haven't paid too much attention but I did see Sony was complaining that Xbox could have console exclusive content for COD if the acquisition is approved and the CMA seems quite concerned about this but not that COD games have had PlayStation exclusive content for a long time now? The whole thing seems to be "We're very concerned that Xbox will engage in the same business practices as PlayStation" which paints the CMA as very anti-competition. It's so bizarre. Like, if legitimate concerns were being raised that's cool but so far it's all accusations that Xbox will do things that PlayStation already does? They seem very against actual competition which is weird as heck but whatever :shrug:

Does Scorn have any combat? Haven't played it but followed the game from the initial reveal eons ago before they changed engines and remade the game entirely and what caught my attention initially was obviously the Giger-esque visuals but also the freaky-looking combat with Cronenberg style weapons (reminded me of the teeth gun from Existenz and the gun from Videodrome) which made the game look like a survival horror game. Reading that it's just puzzles (that are apparently very difficult) is surprising. I guess it's a refreshing change since there's so many good shooters around but Scorn having the style and world that it does seems ripe for some really grotesque body horror combat rather than just puzzle solving. Would be a shame if after all these years they whiffed it.

Makes me wonder how Routine will turn out after it was re-announced after having disappeared for years.

In other news apparently they called the third Left 4 Dead game Warhammer 40,000: Darktide. Game looks sick, think it's hitting Xbox shortly after PC launch?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

SUNKOS posted:

I haven't paid too much attention but I did see Sony was complaining that Xbox could have console exclusive content for COD if the acquisition is approved and the CMA seems quite concerned about this but not that COD games have had PlayStation exclusive content for a long time now? The whole thing seems to be "We're very concerned that Xbox will engage in the same business practices as PlayStation" which paints the CMA as very anti-competition. It's so bizarre. Like, if legitimate concerns were being raised that's cool but so far it's all accusations that Xbox will do things that PlayStation already does? They seem very against actual competition which is weird as heck but whatever :shrug:

Does Scorn have any combat? Haven't played it but followed the game from the initial reveal eons ago before they changed engines and remade the game entirely and what caught my attention initially was obviously the Giger-esque visuals but also the freaky-looking combat with Cronenberg style weapons (reminded me of the teeth gun from Existenz and the gun from Videodrome) which made the game look like a survival horror game. Reading that it's just puzzles (that are apparently very difficult) is surprising. I guess it's a refreshing change since there's so many good shooters around but Scorn having the style and world that it does seems ripe for some really grotesque body horror combat rather than just puzzle solving. Would be a shame if after all these years they whiffed it.

Makes me wonder how Routine will turn out after it was re-announced after having disappeared for years.

In other news apparently they called the third Left 4 Dead game Warhammer 40,000: Darktide. Game looks sick, think it's hitting Xbox shortly after PC launch?
A review I watched said most of the combat is in the third level and it sucks.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Haven't gotten there yet but yeah, combat is supposedly terrible. Also the checkpoint system is bad. People are losing like an hour and a half of progress.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wiltsghost posted:

Haven't gotten there yet but yeah, combat is supposedly terrible. Also the checkpoint system is bad. People are losing like an hour and a half of progress.

Jokes on them. I played an hour and made no progress!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

According to my achievement list I have the pc version of shipbreaker on my Xbox.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Might be a couple of years out of date but COD was setting sales records and still releasing annually

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure that COD is the most profitable game franchise in history. Nothing about that statement is wrong.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty sure that COD is the most profitable game franchise in history. Nothing about that statement is wrong.
It's Pokemon and it's not even close

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I dunno how accurate this is but a quick google search puts COD at $30billion and Pokemon at $118.5billion :stare:

FIFA's probably pretty close to COD but it's tough getting accurate figures. EA's raking in the cash with that franhise, though.

Fortnite made $9billion in its first 2 years so it's likely close to COD as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Volte posted:

It's Pokemon and it's not even close

Whoops, I should have said best selling not most profitable, but Pokemon still narrowly beats it out in units sold (with pokemon having at least a 5 year head start), as well as Tetris and Mario even more so. I am assuming Pokemons 90 billion includes tons of merch and card games.

Still COD is the best selling game franchise ever that is not a classic Nintendo franchise, so saying "There are few, if any, alternative franchises with CoD's level of brand awareness and popularity amongst gamers." isn't exactly a stretch.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wonder what, if anything, will eventually dethrone Minecraft as the best seller. 5 COD games in the top 50 and combined they total about half of it lol.

Red Dead Redemption 2 at number 10 is crazy impressive but GTA5 still completely blows it out of the water. Surprised Overwatch is 8th :stare:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean if were judging the evilness of cyberpunk megacorps Sony made Morbius.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder what, if anything, will eventually dethrone Minecraft as the best seller. 5 COD games in the top 50 and combined they total about half of it lol.

Red Dead Redemption 2 at number 10 is crazy impressive but GTA5 still completely blows it out of the water. Surprised Overwatch is 8th :stare:

Minecraft gets to count its phone version and CoD does not.

Hell, at this point the phone, tablet, console, and PC Minecraft all have cross platform multiplayer together. I can't think of another game that hit that target other than Fortnite, until Epic blew that poo poo up and now you can't play it on phones anymore. A $300 ipad ran it much better than a $300 Nintendo Switch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lammasu posted:

I mean if were judging the evilness of cyberpunk megacorps Sony made Morbius.

And then the internet tricked Sony into a second theatrical release. Lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Once I got my head around the outline of what the puzzle was going to be it seemed like a lot of time and frustration just to open up another puzzle.

I will say the game is gorgeous. It looks like the concept art you see of movies and games where they're much more cool and detailed than the finished product except Scorn actually looks like that.

Yeah, if it was possible to play this game in VR on PC I think it would do some people's heads in.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Crafty posted:

I have played 436 hours of halo infinite multiplayer :cool:

I still feel like I’m not very good at it

This was me in wc3 and sc.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

RandolphCarter posted:

According to my achievement list I have the pc version of shipbreaker on my Xbox.

Apparently there's two versions of the game (console and pc) but they share the same achievement list. I got into a verbal slapfight on the TrueAchievements discord because the game's product page is so confusing, and they refused to do anything about it because "this is just how Microsoft supplies the info".

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Snacksmaniac posted:

This was me in wc3 and sc.

I have like 10 hours in WC3 and like 10,000 hours in the map maker.

I had to pack my Xbox for the move I'm making and I hate it. Someone help me get my house sold quicker.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Other than raising concerns, no government is going to stop the acquisition of Activision/Blizzard. The U.S. doesn't have any laws in place that i'm aware of anyways that would stop it. We are a very pro-capitalist / corporation friendly country, which sucks, but it means that this acquisition is going to go through whether anyone likes it or not.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The CMA is still gumming up the gears of Facebook/Meta buying up Giphy, even though none of those companies are UK based.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Scorn is very divisive.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The vibes are immaculate but the combat is so basic and joyless idk why they bothered with it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Not watching the video but based on the comments that guy is dumb. Scorn is good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I said come in! posted:

Other than raising concerns, no government is going to stop the acquisition of Activision/Blizzard. The U.S. doesn't have any laws in place that i'm aware of anyways that would stop it. We are a very pro-capitalist / corporation friendly country, which sucks, but it means that this acquisition is going to go through whether anyone likes it or not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Antitrust_Act_of_1914

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act

The Anti-Trust division of the DoJ blocked the AT&T and T-Mobile merger about a decade ago and the Comcast and Time Warner merger more recently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They should have blocked the discovery deal.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Antitrust_Act_of_1914

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Antitrust_Act

The Anti-Trust division of the DoJ blocked the AT&T and T-Mobile merger about a decade ago and the Comcast and Time Warner merger more recently.

Those were about 2 companies with different tech combining to cover most of the us phone industry. Call of duty is nowhere near that. And Comcast and Time Warner are already in a regional monopoly with another couple cable companies so them combining would have been more flagrant than they already are.

The main thing those cases have in common is they were already all top dogs, Microsoft is literally the bottom of the console totem pole no matter how much people want to cry about their pocketbooks.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And then the internet tricked Sony into a second theatrical release. Lmao

My greatest fear is that we'll have to go through the Morbius thing every time Sony releases a crappy Spider-Man spinoff. I mean they aren't going to stop.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bushisms.txt posted:

Those were about 2 companies with different tech combining to cover most of the us phone industry. Call of duty is nowhere near that.

I didn’t say it was, but it’s entirely incorrect to say that there are no laws that govern the situation in the US. There are, they have been enforced before, and the FTC is investigating this potential merger to determine if it runs afoul of those laws.

Nvidia acquiring ARM is another example of a prospective merger killed by regulators, in that case because it could have potentially crippled companies that license ARM chips like Apple, Qualcomm, and Microsoft.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whoops a loo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Lammasu posted:

My greatest fear is that we'll have to go through the Morbius thing every time Sony releases a crappy Spider-Man spinoff. I mean they aren't going to stop.

If the internet tricks them into another Morbius style rerelease of a steamer, they deserve it. That's a lesson they should only need to learn once.

They should maybe not listen to the internet.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If the internet tricks them into another Morbius style rerelease of a steamer, they deserve it. That's a lesson they should only need to learn once.

They should maybe not listen to the internet.

It's not that. They want that big cinematic universe money, so they are throwing Spider-Man villians at the wall till they hit Venom again. They are making a movie about a character that appeared in two issues.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wouldn't know, I actively avoid comic book movies since around a decade ago. I mean, I get it, they want a money maker. They should probably find something better than marvel scraps to produce. Sell those rights to disney for billions and move on.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Medieval Dynasty is a very tedious build poo poo game, Grounded is a very fun build poo poo game.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo about still putting CoD on Playstation because they're gonna make all the money from Candy Crush.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo about still putting CoD on Playstation because they're gonna make all the money from Candy Crush.

Put 343i incharge of Soda Pop Crush

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Put 343 in charge of Call of Duty and Sony will be begging MS to make it fully exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Put 343 in charge of Call of Duty and Sony will be begging MS to make it fully exclusive

Lol. this would be kind of genius actually. make a turd game that kills any interest for a year or two and spend the entire time making CoD Infinite but like, actually good and not what halo infinite has ended up as.