Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

If I am doing a whole tri tip, I smoke low (250-275F) to med-rare, pull and rest. Sear, rest. Serve. Either super thin slices for sandwiches or thicker slices like a steak.

That’s how I do mine, same for a picanha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Dango Bango posted:

What's everyone's tri tip cooking preference? I've never actually done one before and I'm leaning toward the traditional reverse sear. But I've seen where people have smoked it like brisket to great results.

Meaning what? It's going to be dry as hell if you take it to 195 or so like brisket, won't it?

If you just mean smoking it "low and slow" until ~medium rare, well, that's basically the first part of your "traditional reverse sear". So do that, optionally pulling a little early and searing to finish.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A lot of people on Reddit equate beef to “done at 205 if smoking” so a lot of popular recipes will say to smoke it that high. It’ll be dry AF since it’s a pretty lean piece.

I’m with everyone else, reverse sear that bad boy to medium rare and slice it thin. They’re fantastic.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

El Jebus posted:

If I am doing a whole tri tip, I smoke low (250-275F) to med-rare, pull and rest. Sear, rest. Serve. Either super thin slices for sandwiches or thicker slices like a steak.

Thanks. This is what I was thinking. But not getting out my WSM and just doing indirect on my Weber.

marshalljim posted:

Meaning what? It's going to be dry as hell if you take it to 195 or so like brisket, won't it?

If you just mean smoking it "low and slow" until ~medium rare, well, that's basically the first part of your "traditional reverse sear". So do that, optionally pulling a little early and searing to finish.

Sorry for not being specific. I had just watched a bunch of videos so I had that all in my head when I posted. I'm referring to cooking it like this video (I'm guessing the cut being A9 Wagyu is doing a lot of work keeping it juicy here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeE8LO1AGKk

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you smoked too 205, but wrapped it tight, and then let it rest for a bit (maybe an hour?) At like 150 to let those juices you trapped get back in would it work?
Like I said,I moved away from California so I know if tri tip but i haven't had a chance to use it because it's not a thing here.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I've done tritip about 6 times on my WSM at 350 and cook to medium rare followed by reverse sear.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/smoked-tri-tip/

It's become one of my favorite meats to smoke. I always have used a santa maria dry rub.

https://parade.com/842259/alison-ashton/santa-maria-style-dry-rub/

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We wrap and let meat rest after a smoke not to 'let the juices back in' but to let the collagen and fat continue to break down. Basically, it continues to cook while in a cooler or oven at a low temp.

Tri-tip probably does have more connective tissue than, say a ribeye or something, but not enough to bring to a brisket temp, at least I wouldn't think.

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks. This is what I was thinking. But not getting out my WSM and just doing indirect on my Weber.

Sorry for not being specific. I had just watched a bunch of videos so I had that all in my head when I posted. I'm referring to cooking it like this video (I'm guessing the cut being A9 Wagyu is doing a lot of work keeping it juicy here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeE8LO1AGKk

Yeah I think the fatty wagyu is doing some heavy lifting here.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dango Bango posted:

No problem! I also do them on the weber instead of heating up a whole WSM just for a lil cut like a tri tip. I like to put a chunk of oak in the chimney, right on top. It is perfect by the time the steak goes on.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

El Jebus posted:

This what I do also.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Tri-tip does great sous vide to just below your desired doneness and smoked hot for a little while to get some crust. I did that once a few years ago and a friend still talks about that tri-tip.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anyone have a brisket stall in the 190s? Did one overnight and woke up at 5 to it in the 190s, where it’s sat for a long while. 13 lbs total, going at 250-275 (aiming for 225 but I slept much heavier than the Fireboards alarm)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Anyone have a brisket stall in the 190s? Did one overnight and woke up at 5 to it in the 190s, where it’s sat for a long while. 13 lbs total, going at 250-275 (aiming for 225 but I slept much heavier than the Fireboards alarm)

Check for doneness. Might be time to pull where pushing to 205 dries it out some.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tri tip results!

Turned out pretty good. Ended up more medium when it took longer for the grill to get up to searing temp than I had planned. Still pretty good though. And I definitely want to get better with this cut.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My dad has a Weber iGrill 2 and I am smoking up some chicken drumsticks with two probes plugged in. One of them reported hitting 165 internal temp, so I grabbed a standalone meat thermometer and checked both drumsticks with probes in. It reported temps about 10 degrees lower than the Weber. Is this a case for getting new probes for the Weber? Or is the Weber known to be inaccurate?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Check for doneness. Might be time to pull where pushing to 205 dries it out some.

It ended up going another five hours in the 190s. I checked it’s done-ness with a good jiggle and a probe every hour. Came out perfect. One of the best briskets I’ve ever made. It worked out even better that it was for my kids birthday party!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My dad has a Weber iGrill 2 and I am smoking up some chicken drumsticks with two probes plugged in. One of them reported hitting 165 internal temp, so I grabbed a standalone meat thermometer and checked both drumsticks with probes in. It reported temps about 10 degrees lower than the Weber. Is this a case for getting new probes for the Weber? Or is the Weber known to be inaccurate?

Something small like a chicken drumstick is going to be hard to measure completely accurately, but I also wouldn't be surprised to hear a grill probe is 10 degrees off.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's not a built-in one:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, my bad. I'd think a dedicated one would be more accurate. May be worth testing it with ice water / boiling water.

But yeah, my initial reaction is just that it's hard to measure small things with bones. Being close to the bone can throw stuff off.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Ice water/boiling water calibration test. I have an iGrill from before they were called iGrill (so like, 10 years old?) and it measured 211/212 until the water boiled off my jelly mixture yesterday so they aren't inherently inaccurate.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How do you fix the little electric control board on a masterbuilt smoker that clicks off as you in the beginning stages of setting the heat and time duration? Only got 2 smokes in where I just kept trying and eventually it was fine. 3rd no dice. This lady on youtube carefully took it apart and sprayed some wd40 on it. Haven't tried in a while. My apologies if this is obvious or repeat question, been busy with kids and work but want to get back to smoking pork shoulders.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Murgos posted:

Ice water/boiling water calibration test. I have an iGrill from before they were called iGrill (so like, 10 years old?) and it measured 211/212 until the water boiled off my jelly mixture yesterday so they aren't inherently inaccurate.

And what exactly are the proper steps of that test? Just boil water in a pot and make sure the probes read close to 212? Then a bowl of ice and make sure they're close to 32?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I got 4 lbs of flank steak from Costco. Any recommendations on how to cook it?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VulgarandStupid posted:

Slowly with a lot of marinade

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

And what exactly are the proper steps of that test? Just boil water in a pot and make sure the probes read close to 212? Then a bowl of ice and make sure they're close to 32?

Well, yes. Some of them also have instructions on how to adjust it if it’s off.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hot and fast to medium rare or medium. Slice. Serve with chimichurri, or on a spinach salad with balsamic. Or marinade with lime, cumin, and cilantro (maybe some honey or agave) and serve as carne asada.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Carne loving asada. I dry brine it about a day before and then soak in a mix of lime, orange lemon juice and spices. Just google a recipe. Grill it to rare or medium rare.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Probably preaching to the choir here, but just make sure you slice against the grain on your flank steak.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Tomatillos, onions, garlic, jalapenos, and poblanos getting smoked for pozole verde. Hope I don't get a thread ban for no meat.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

My mom's recipe is the one thing I make the people always ask the recipe for. Take the marinade below, for a 3-4 hours, then hot and fast. It's a favorite of mine.

quote:

1 1⁄2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp minced onion
1⁄2 tsp dry mustard
1⁄2 tsp rosemary
1⁄4 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1⁄4 cup lemon juice
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp vinegar

whisk like hell

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Did a couple of racks of baby backs yesterday. I think I finally have a method down that I like.

275 degrees. Unwrapped the whole time.

Did these in my WSM over Kingsford, and a few chunks of hickory and cherry. Spritzed every hour and checked for doneness at 3 hours. Let them go another 40 minutes and they were passing the bend test. I picked them up and they bent and cracked a little without breaking or falling apart. Decent pullback on the bones, and meat between the bones was probe-tender. Mopped them with some mustard bbq sauce and let the go another 20 minutes. Finished at exactly 4 hours. Some of the best ribs I’ve made all year.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
They look delicious. I'll try that method next time. I usually don't spritz but it's probably not terrible with ribs

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Those look really great.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Hoping to do the same Monday, just picked up 2 racks and a big pack of wings. My mom's coming to visit for the first time ever and I wanted to smoke something, she chose that.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

McSpankWich posted:

They look delicious. I'll try that method next time. I usually don't spritz but it's probably not terrible with ribs

Makes the bark a little more delicate. So keep that in mind.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Tri-tip does great sous vide to just below your desired doneness and smoked hot for a little while to get some crust. I did that once a few years ago and a friend still talks about that tri-tip.

yup this is my goto method for tritip.

then i usually slice pretty thin and make french dips with it

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Costco had racks of beef dino bones. How do I cook these?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

NomNomNom posted:

Costco had racks of beef dino bones. How do I cook these?

Trim the fat/silver skin off the top

Season how you like your brisket

Cook at 275 for 6-8 hours

Some people wrap at 4 hours or so in. I've gotten good results all ways between spritzing and/or wrapping

It's a really fatty and forgiving cut, imo. I love them but I only make them rarely - they are just so rich.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My dad took ribs out of the freezer yesterday, but they are still fairly frozen. Is it safe to let them defrost and cook over the heat of the smoker? Or should I defrost in the microwave first and then smoke them?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My dad took ribs out of the freezer yesterday, but they are still fairly frozen. Is it safe to let them defrost and cook over the heat of the smoker? Or should I defrost in the microwave first and then smoke them?

This is a good question that I would be interested in knowing the answer to!

Whenever I SV stuff, that can easily go straight from the freezer into the water.

I was thinking about getting a case of pork butts from the big-box grocer yesterday and freezing a bunch of them, but I figure defrosting in the fridge would take a LONG time. Was wondering if I defrosted in the fridge for like 3 days and then tossed in the smoker if that would work well enough or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's a bad idea because if it's still frozen there's no way you're going to get the probe into the block of ice at the center of your meat so you can't know if you cooked it fully. Not too mention having a big ice cube at the center means it's going to take F.O.R.E.V.E.R to cook realitive to the outside.
My advice is give it another day.