Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Can't you just use bar-end friction shifters to fulfill your flat bar needs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shadowhand00 posted:

Can't you just use bar-end friction shifters to fulfill your flat bar needs?
Yeah, though it might be more instructive to call them thumb shifters? Specifically if particular models can't swap mounting formats.

Slavvy posted:

Maybe he just likes them more, maybe he just wants to do some bespoke poo poo instead of solving his problem with a spreadsheet :shrug:
Part of the reason to use a spreadsheet, or perhaps put less dismissively, to fully think through all the complications of the upgrade, is that there's real compatibility issues at play, as you just worked through with Tobin.
This is still my go to reference for ratio / cable pull numbers for various drivetrains:
http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/
It captures in precise numbers why some hacks work (like pairing SRAM 10spd MTB RDs with big capacity to SRAM 11spd road shifters).

As you can see, the 11spd stuff is not exactly the same cog pitch from brand to brand or MTB vs road, but it works ok in practice (I never got Campy 11 cassette to work right with Shimano shifting).
12 spd isn't even on there cuz the article is dead. I'm emailing Sunrace support right now to double check that their 12spd RD is in fact Shimano compatible, which means I'm out of luck with my Sunrace 12spd shifter, which is SRAM compatible.

quote:

I don't see how buying an entire bike is cheaper than a pair of levers, a pair of MTB shifters and some cable stuff.
Let's say the current bike is 11-spd. You'll need a $50 shifter. $40 for a ratio changer to go from MTB to road cable pull.
Maybe another $30 if you want to keep front shifting. $20 of housing, and cables if the shifters don't come with.
$25-100 for however nice you want your brake levers to be.
$60 for a flat bar and stem to get the geometry to match. $20 for decent grips.
And then, what, maybe $150 for a shop to do the swap for you if you don't know what you're doing?
Maybe around $400 total? With $50-100 from resale of the swapped parts to sell on eBay over a few months (or never, in my case).

It's not necessarily an apples to apples purchase.
You can still find totally decent flat bar bikes in the high hundreds. They're probably gonna be a step back from 11spd, but they might be hydro, which would be a real step up in some ways.
Sell your road bike and you'll probably be at or below the total outlay of the swap.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 14, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Slavvy posted:

Who said anything about a chain ring...? What?

I wouldn't refer to cassettes as "1x" . You doing so was confusing. You can run Shimano MTB cassettes and such as 2x (even 12 speed).

I'd refer to the chainring up front as 1x or 2x because that makes a lot more sense.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aren't most flat bars wider than drops making them worse for traffic weaving?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think i have found a solution to both the shifter and bar width problem for the OP

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

numberoneposter posted:

i think i have found a solution to both the shifter and bar width problem for the OP

Shifters and brakes solved too. Now you can safely wheely between lanes of traffic

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The perfect fixie brake is one where you squeeze the saddle with your legs to activate it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
When your rear end puckers up because of the danger you're in the bike automatically brakes.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I miss the sweet fixie era. Such good content

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok but what if he really likes his current bike, or is just stubborn, or whatever? When I say doing things by a spreadsheet I'm referring to boiling everything down into cost/benefit as opposed to just doing dumb stuff cause you want to.

I will admit the idea of paying people to work on a bicycle never occurred to me though.

otoh why would anyone do either of these things, what the hell

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Ok but what if he really likes his current bike, or is just stubborn, or whatever? When I say doing things by a spreadsheet I'm referring to boiling everything down into cost/benefit as opposed to just doing dumb stuff cause you want to.

I will admit the idea of paying people to work on a bicycle never occurred to me though.

they were probably just doing dumb stuff cause they wanted to

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The level in the middle of the bars is excellent. It should be one of those big red "STOP" buttons though, like you would see on an industrial machine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If they can afford it, it’s no problem. But expense came up. Woe be if they come up short halfway and need to spend justs much to fix issues, leaving them without a bike for that much longer.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

There was a weird period in the 2000s where the Internet echo chamber turned a bunch of people wanting to be like this

Into something like this

People wanting to ride brakeless like a real messenger but having local laws that could actually get them ticketed for not having working brakes resulted in some compromises

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Paid for a Retul fit with a top rated fitter here. 1.5-2 hours of fitting and :homebrew: boiled down to:

1. Raising my seat by 5mm.
2. Tilting my seat back by 1 degree
3. Putting a shim in my right shoe.

Can't wait to ride a pass tomorrow!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Earlier this year had some guy running on the path following us and yelling at me to raise my seat up on the home stretch of a 3 day bikepacking trip, so let me be the first to tell you your seat's too low

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

Shifters and brakes solved too. Now you can safely wheely between lanes of traffic

nice

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Dog Case posted:

There was a weird period in the 2000s where the Internet echo chamber turned a bunch of people wanting to be like this

Into something like this

People wanting to ride brakeless like a real messenger but having local laws that could actually get them ticketed for not having working brakes resulted in some compromises

Running without brakes on streets is dumb as hell. They aren't on fixed gear track bikes presumably because that's a good way to start a pileup in a velodrome. It doesn't make it some necessary part of riding without gears.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

T.C. posted:

Running without brakes on streets is dumb as hell. They aren't on fixed gear track bikes presumably because that's a good way to start a pileup in a velodrome. It doesn't make it some necessary part of riding without gears.

drat never heard this before thanks

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The real messenger in that pic is running a front brake, though (and good for him).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It’s hard for me to be overly critical of brakeless fixed gear riders when we just went through an episode where someone completely ignored all advice on how to actually stop on a bicycle with brakes, then forced a bike shop to swap the brakes around for a really dumb loving reason.

The term unsafe at any speed comes to mind. Or maybe unsafe at any acceleration.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 15, 2022

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

TobinHatesYou posted:

It’s hard for me to be overly critical of brakeless fixed gear riders when we just went through an episode where someone completely ignored all advice on how to actually stop on a bicycle with brakes, then forced a bike shop to swap the brakes around for a really dumb loving reason.

:hmmyes:

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
maybe the real brakes were the friends we made along the poo poo poo poo (crashing sounds)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

YanniRotten posted:

maybe the real brakes were the friends we made along the poo poo poo poo (crashing sounds)

What is that from?

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
me posting Oct 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Almost 4k feet climbing today!

I learned:
1. I need to find my arm warmers.
2. Coming down 4k feet is nerve-wracking.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Squaw Pass is so good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Squaw Pass is so good.

Thanks for the suggestion! The way up involved only one group of assholes (with Illinois plates) yelling, but was otherwise smooth sailing. I thought I'd be fine in a short sleeve jersey since it was supposed to be 60 in Denver, but ended up being a bit chilly on the descent. :v:

It is making me think about doing the Triple Bypass next summer with a friend.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 16, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

With how the northeast is, I don't have the confidence to come down the road fast only to rip poo poo on a pothole that sends me soaring

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

With how the northeast is, I don't have the confidence to come down the road fast only to rip poo poo on a pothole that sends me soaring

Same reason I haven't upgraded to a carbon bike yet

or left the trails

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Fall century today.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Nice!

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
Welp, I just ruined a new $250 replacement carbon stem because my torque wrench didn't engage properly (and also because I am not a clever man). How are your weekend bike projects going??

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

F

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Hoopy Frood posted:

Welp, I just ruined a new $250 replacement carbon stem because my torque wrench didn't engage properly (and also because I am not a clever man). How are your weekend bike projects going??

The rear disc on my friends tandem was in bad shape. We bought a whopping 220mm disc. I placed it on the back wheel, the hope adaptor rubbed the disc, I ground it down untill it cleared, the caliper fouled the adaptor one way round or it was impossible to put the mounting bolts through the other way round. So I put the old front disc on the rear and put the new disc on the front with the adaptor positioned so the brake pads were over the disc the brake caliper fouled the adaptor. I turned up a couple of spacers on my lathe and three hours later I was ready to adjust the brakes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So what you're saying is you have a lathe :colbert:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I once turned a wrench the wrong way for a reverse threaded cup/cone on a Dura-ace C24 hub, stripped the threads and effectively trashed the entire front wheel.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Hoopy Frood posted:

I took my bike to the shop after I halfassedly put it back together out of the box (I had it shipped back to me from a vacation) to have them do it properly and found out I need a new headset and the mechanic loudly made fun of me in front of the whole store.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

It is making me think about doing the Triple Bypass next summer with a friend.

I recommend it. Great support, fun atmosphere and a decent route. Only downside, a bit of the route is paths and frontage roads along 70. Not super exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

kimbo305 posted:

So what you're saying is you have a lathe :colbert:
What I am saying is The Hope 205 to 220 adaptor doesnt work with BB7s, also its a big disc 140mm disc for reference!