Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Truth be told we could get by with way fewer foreign bases, but speaking as someone who lived on one of them from 1991-1993 I can honestly say that living in another country humbled me, made me less of an "ugly American," and if even one American in twenty living abroad could cobble out a similar experience to my family's, we'd be way better off as a nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This looks like it should be a game show set.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CBJSprague24 posted:

"You are the Most Useful Idiot."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yes, all those spare weapons the Russians have to send to random countries.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, all those spare weapons the Russians have to send to random countries.

Just imagining some FSB officer nervously waiting to brief Putin that their plot to arm extreme right wing militias in the US with AKs failed because said extreme right wing militias are already armed to the teeth as it is.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Just imagining some FSB officer nervously waiting to brief Putin that their plot to arm extreme right wing militias in the US with AKs failed because said extreme right wing militias are already armed to the teeth as it is.

Yo lmao remember FPSRussia and his shot in the loving head producer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJ8oQ2jkTw

I know he's not an actual Russian

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Remember when he blew up a pickup and almost got cut in half by debris?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

IKR. What weapons? Even the poo poo they're sending to their own active not-war is rusting or crumbling way too much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Bunch of Russian allies are closing their embassies and telling people to leave Ukraine.

Russia gonna try again?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CommieGIR posted:

Bunch of Russian allies are closing their embassies and telling people to leave Ukraine.

Russia gonna try again?

Russia is probably trying to convince Ukraine that they're going to attempt another "thunder run" from the north in hopes Ukraine pulls a bunch of troops from the south and halts their offensives.

If they were dumb enough to attempt this, Western intelligence would likely be able to give them at least a month's notice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Russia is probably trying to convince Ukraine that they're going to attempt another "thunder run" from the north in hopes Ukraine pulls a bunch of troops from the south and halts their offensives.

If they were dumb enough to attempt this, Western intelligence would likely be able to give them at least a month's notice.

Yeah I cannot imagine they have anything capable of doing anything, but its obviously enough to convince their allies to tell people to leave.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wasabi the J posted:

Yo lmao remember FPSRussia and his shot in the loving head producer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJ8oQ2jkTw

I know he's not an actual Russian

Huh, sounds like he got done by the feds for weed, the at means he just got a presidential pardon and he'll get his guns back, right?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I cannot imagine they have anything capable of doing anything, but its obviously enough to convince their allies to tell people to leave.

I dont know why they'd bother to tell their allies anything if it was another missile strike since they didn't bother last time.

It must be another push. Probably through Belarus. Next couple of weeks are going to be another meat grinder. :smith:

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

They’ll probably try and make a run to Lviv. Need to try and cut off that western supply route.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elviscat posted:

Huh, sounds like he got done by the feds for weed, the at means he just got a presidential pardon and he'll get his guns back, right?

A pardon is an admission of guilt or something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CBJSprague24 posted:

I feel like it’s someone who saw The Running Man and didn’t understand satire.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elviscat posted:

I watched part of an interview with him a while back (I was really bored and wanted to hear what he sounded like when not faking a Russian accent) and IIRC they got him for "intent to distribute" so probably not :shrug:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Wasabi the J posted:

Some pardons get handed out to people because they're innocent.

Also as of 2021 the 10th circuit has held that accepting a pardon does not equate to accepting guilt, and the scotus has not bothered overruling that decision.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

atomicpile posted:

They’ll probably try and make a run to Lviv. Need to try and cut off that western supply route.

By using a nuke.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks like it clears you to own firearms again though! (Based on Google).

Dunno about the distribution thing though, I think Biden said simple possession only?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elviscat posted:

Looks like it clears you to own firearms again though! (Based on Google).

Dunno about the distribution thing though, I think Biden said simple possession only?

That’s assuming the other stuff tied to those charges, which I think included stuff via mail are erased.

I mean looking at the docket would probably answer the question, but I’m too lazy and I don’t think anyone else wants to waste their time. Lol.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they attempted another zerg rush across the border, possibly together with the Belarusian army this time. Russia has been pumping thousands of freshly mobilized troops into Belarus for days now. Would it even make sense to try something like that, with everything going on? Probably not, but invading in the first place also didn't make sense.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they attempted another zerg rush across the border, possibly together with the Belarusian army this time. Russia has been pumping thousands of freshly mobilized troops into Belarus for days now. Would it even make sense to try something like that, with everything going on? Probably not, but invading in the first place also didn't make sense.

I would bet that Russia is shipping all those soldiers there for training. Belarus' army may suck, but their training corps is better than Russia's atm.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Does russia have forces in Belarus they could free up by substituting in conscripts?

Belarus has been waving the flag while making it clear they don’t want to get involved directly. “Poland is massing on our border, sir! They’re just waiting for me to reduce our defenses.”

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The Belarusian army is to maintain control at home, not take a flyer to Ukraine. Lukashenko isn't stupid.

There was some chatter about Ukraine making another big push in Kherson today while Russia is moving 1940s AA assets out of storage...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The original invasion made sense if you're an old fart with tzarist ambitions and your advisors and bootlickers don't really think or realize you'd actually do it so they lie out their rear end about readiness and resources while they rob the state.

Deteriorata posted:

I would bet that Russia is shipping all those soldiers there for training. Belarus' army may suck, but their training corps is better than Russia's atm.

In that it might exist, yeah I suppose.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"Send weapons to America's enemies to attack US bases" sounds like "re-enact the entirety of the Cold War, only magically win this time" to me.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Flikken posted:

These hosts should probably be a bit introspective about WHY america has bases all over the world

I'm sure militants the world over would be thrilled to receive shipments of rotten crates of ordnance and rusted solid AKs. Seriously, the world has seen the decrepit poo poo they are giving their own troops before being herded to their deaths in Ukraine, what the blazes do they actually think is left in the cupboard to distribute overseas?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tehdas posted:

Starlink's business model is to have a high cost sat network running which extracts the most amount of dollars from customers below the current position of the sat. The only costs to starlink of customers Ukraine is customer support, any subsidies of receivers, and the cost of putting satellites in particular orbits. The marginal cost of extra subscribers is basically zero. So the strategy would be to cram as many customers in as possible, for the highest price they'll pay.

Starlink was pitched with the idea that it would use laser comm links between currently neighboring satellites to mesh route packets. However, last I heard, this remains a dream (it's insanely difficult to do), so for now internet connectivity is based on using the current overhead satellite to relay between you and a ground station also in the sat's line of sight. To build out capacity in previously unserved locales, they actually do need to build some local infrastructure.

(I have no idea if Ukrainian ground stations existed prior to the conflict, or if they're able to provide some service with stations located in neighboring countries.)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BobHoward posted:

(I have no idea if Ukrainian ground stations existed prior to the conflict, or if they're able to provide some service with stations located in neighboring countries.)

Ground stations covering Ukraine are in Turkey, Poland or Lithuania, with internet uplinks in Bulgaria. I think all those sites predates the war by a solid year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flikken posted:

These hosts should probably be a bit introspective about WHY america has bases all over the world

To impose our will on other nations.

And that logic isn't entirely false.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Godholio posted:

To impose our will on other nations.

And that logic isn't entirely false.

While a fair few Okinawans might be willing to rise up and through the americans out, I somehow don’t think a crate of Russian arms is going to be the inducement that makes them actually do it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
all I know is that if I lived near a major foreign US military base and crates of Russian weapons started showing up, I'd make an absolute killing selling them to Americans as souvenirs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Finally the red light district outside the port of Pyongtaek will get their revenge for being blacklisted by Camp Humphreys with... rusty mosins.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

How the heck do you get an AK to rust? Was there not enough cosmoline around to store 'em?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How the heck do you get an AK to rust? Was there not enough cosmoline around to store 'em?

Corrupt qm sold the cosmoline?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Wasn't russia using corrosive ammo even with non-serviceable ak12? Corrosive ammo mag dumping during training with minimal upkeep will rust everything

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Wasn't russia using corrosive ammo even with non-serviceable ak12? Corrosive ammo mag dumping during training with minimal upkeep will rust everything

Corrosive primers are more stable and store better than non-corrosive. Russia moved away from manufacturing corrosive ammo, but this ammunition sells for better prices elsewhere and there were massive stockpiles of the old stuff in inventory, so new production ammo got sold off and the old stuff brought out of storage whenever ammo was needed.

So you have new weapons that were designed for use with non-corrosive ammo exclusively that are being used with corrosive ammo (also exclusively).

(also there are a ton of related issues having to do with stockpiles not being maintained, items being placed into storage without sufficient climate protection, new stuff getting sold off in favor of issuing old stuff, etc. etc.)

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 16, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

BobHoward posted:

Starlink was pitched with the idea that it would use laser comm links between currently neighboring satellites to mesh route packets. However, last I heard, this remains a dream

They are working. The last 1500 or so satellites they launched have the laser links, and they are already serving internet to Antarctica with them. However, a lot of them are still drifting to position so they cannot get gapless coverage with the laser links outside of extreme latitudes. They are advertising maritime coverage everywhere outside of the tropics (which requires the laser links) by the end of the year.

BobHoward posted:

(it's insanely difficult to do),

It's really not. There were parts of their plan that would have been difficult, but they have cut those out. The problem of aiming a laser at a satellite next to you on your orbital plane is trivial, and aiming one at a satellite on the adjancent plane is not that hard. (Aiming one at a crossing plane is very hard, and is what their 5th laser link was probably for, but those have been removed.)

Laser links in general are much easier and less sci-fi than people think they are. They are no longer a research subject, but something you can reasonably purchase COTS. The next gen of military drones will all use them as their primary communication system, which is again going to change things a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Tuna-Fish posted:

They are working. The last 1500 or so satellites they launched have the laser links, and they are already serving internet to Antarctica with them.
*snip, snip*
It's really not. There were parts of their plan that would have been difficult, but they have cut those out. The problem of aiming a laser at a satellite next to you on your orbital plane is trivial, and aiming one at a satellite on the adjancent plane is not that hard.

I smell a real big fish here...

You are saying focused transmission laser communications is a reality, commercially? That's amazing to me

:justpost: