Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The volley ball anime. That poo poo rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I've watched Haikyuu and Ping-Pong. They're great.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll start with Giant Killing and I guess Slam Dunk (should I read or watch it?). I can't recall why I never read it but I think it was because maybe it was less about the team and more about an individual or something?

Not really a big fan of MMA and I'll hold off on more football stuff till after Giant Killing. For some reason I thought Hanebado is some fanservice-y joke anime.

On the non-sport front, I've watched Eizouken (well, most of it). It was nice but didn't grab me.
I'll try "Let's Make a Mug, Too" since I can watch it with a friend of mine who likes pottery. I'll also try reading "Umi ga Hashiru End Roll".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kiminewt posted:

Not really a big fan of MMA and I'll hold off on more football stuff till after Giant Killing. For some reason I thought Hanebado is some fanservice-y joke anime.
did you get it confused with harukana receive? they aired in the same season

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Hanebado manga starts off as a more comedic manga with mild amounts of fanservice before transitioning into a gritty sports drama but the anime just skips all that and goes all in on sports melodrama from like episode 2.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Endorph posted:

did you get it confused with harukana receive? they aired in the same season

Someone recommended Harakuna Receive a few months ago because I liked Keijo, but I just had zero desire to continue after the first episode. Just nothing about it grabbed me at all.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I mean that’s a pretty fair comparison to arrive at.

I think I liked Harukano Recieve more than Hanebado. The melodrama was a lot more grounded. Friggin great op tho.

As for realistic sports anime that aren’t all the amazing ones, the ones from last year were pretty decent. Okay no they weren’t. Also Re-main is absurd. But like… if you can ignore the main concept it’s fairly realistic! Bakuten was very Run Like The Windish college dorm house fun but the actual sports part kinda sucks. Like not in the ‘I don’t like gymnastics routines’ way, the animation was just bad and boring. Kabaddi does a decent job showing off the sport but it’s very shoneny. Sayanora Watashi no Cramer was garbage I don’t know why I’m mentioning it! Does Cestvs count as a sports anime? I mean I guess it’s Roman boxing lol. I liked it but it was really not… I unno it’s a complete train wreck. Sk8 the infinity is the least appropriate but best show recently. Wait no Uma Musume is.

Basically I friggin need more Haikyuu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

What about Ashita No Joe? No-one seems to have mentioned it, and it's one of the greatest manga written, adapted into some legendary anime.

I know it's likely everyone involved has seen it already, but it's worth a look.

(I'd also suggest Look Back and Goodbye Eri for two good one-shots about the creative impulse and the effort involved in making art, but they're both popular enough to have already been seen and not exactly what's asked for besides.)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kater posted:

Sk8 the infinity is the least appropriate but best show recently. Wait no Uma Musume is.

I also want to add on Gundam Build Fighters onto the "definitely not the kind of sports show that OP asked for but is just good anyway" list.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ibblebibble posted:

I also want to add on Gundam Build Fighters onto the "definitely not the kind of sports show that OP asked for but is just good anyway" list.

Chihayafuruu I guess as well then.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

kiminewt posted:

I am once again asking for recommendations of realistic sports/endeavour-based manga/anime.

Last time I read/watch the following that were recommended: Run With the Wind, Supinamarada and Real. Liked all of them. I also watched Ao Ashi which was generic but alright.

Check out Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl!

The manga ran 29 volumes from 1989-1993, and the anime ran 124 episodes from 1989-1992.
There was also a live action movie in 1989 and two anime films in 1992 and 1996.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Y'all, I need some space shows. Zeta Gundam was my jam, Planetes was ok but I ended up only watching a few episodes, and I really don't know any other space anime. More Gundam would be cool but it doesn't have to be big robots in space hitting each other. Anything would be welcome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monolith. posted:

Y'all, I need some space shows. Zeta Gundam was my jam, Planetes was ok but I ended up only watching a few episodes, and I really don't know any other space anime. More Gundam would be cool but it doesn't have to be big robots in space hitting each other. Anything would be welcome.

Legend of the Galactic H-eerracahgahgghghhhhh.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Monolith. posted:

Would recommend IBO as there is plenty of big robots doing horrible things to one another. There is also Witch of Mercury which is the new Gundam show and is currently airing right now.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AKB0048 and Bodacious Space Pirates are the best space animes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Monolith. posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Monolith. posted:

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Outlaw Star, if you want a couple of absolute classics.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Cowboy Bebop is about space bounty hunters if you've somehow never seen that. I also second the recs for Gunbuster, Diebuster, and IBO for mech stuff with a lot of space fights.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Has it been long enough that we're allowed to resume recommending Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gundam thunderbolt and unicorn have excellent space animation, though unicorn may be a bit too steeped in franchise lore to just jump into. or maybe it's fine! i've never thought it's fine if you aren't already familiar with UC but plenty of other people do. though if you've seen zeta you're probably good (watch char's coutnerattack if you haven't already)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bongo Bill posted:

Has it been long enough that we're allowed to resume recommending Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Uh, what happened? That's always been a respected cult-classic series.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Saoshyant posted:

It's just a joke about the thread title. Which is like 7 years old.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Saoshyant posted:

If I remember correctly the thread title refers to a time a few years back when a few posters made a running gag of recommending LOGH regardless of what the was actually asked for. After that got run into the ground, it became rather gauche to recommend unless someone specifically asked for a long-running space opera series?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's respected, but the thread title is a threat to strangle anyone who recommends LOGH because it's been done so often.

Beyond that, there's Space Patrol Luluco if you're in a hurry. Pure Trigger crazy with an incredibly short runtime. 12 eight-ish minute episodes, including crossovers, young love, insane violence, and CHIEF OVER-JUSTICE, the skeleton who loves JUSTICE more than anyone else in the universe.

There's also Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamis for a movie about an alternate universe space program, although it get pretty heavy in ways that sometimes need a warning, Voices from a Distant Star if you want to see what Shinkai did before Your Name (it's pretty much a solo piece), and Freedom if you want something set on the Moon with frequent cup noodle product placement.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Good recs, thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Julias posted:

It's just a joke about the thread title. Which is like 7 years old.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's respected, but the thread title is a threat to strangle anyone who recommends LOGH because it's been done so often.

silentsnack posted:

running gag of recommending LOGH regardless of what the was actually asked for.

Well, figures it would have been something obvious that I'd completely miss. Thanks for clarifying, anyway.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

any recommendations for horror genre without sexualized violence? i havent watched much anime besides the staples like cowboy bebop and akira

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Magnetic Rose is a good psychological horror ghost story. Plus it's only like 30 minutes long.

There's also Pet Shop of Horrors which is kind of an anthology piece with individual horror stories.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 15, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

pandy fackler posted:

any recommendations for horror genre without sexualized violence? i havent watched much anime besides the staples like cowboy bebop and akira

It'd depend on what particular slice of horror you're looking for, but two good ones on polar opposite ends of the spectrum would be Monster and Dorohedoro. Monster has no supernatural elements (that I recall, it's been a while since I read it) but really nails that psychological horror - thriller vibe, with an extremely tense atmosphere and a rich cast of complex characters.

Dorohedoro, on the other hand, is a body horror action splatfest with competing gangs of murderous psychopaths trying to kill each other with blood magic and knives and demon pacts. Despite that, though, it overall has a very "chill" vibe, and most of the time is spent with the characters hanging out in their weird magic hellworld, being goofballs and having fun. This can make you forget about the horror element since the cast tends to be pretty nonchalant about the gore and demons, but when the major plot beats hit it can get pretty :stonklol:

Both stories are probably best experienced in manga form, but the animes are pretty good too. Dorohedoro's anime only has a season out, though, and it's also 3d, which might put some people off.

Seconding Magnetic Rose, too. It rules.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

thank you for the recommendations. i have a preference for supernatural elements but enjoy psychological thriller type stuff if the plot is really original. only horror I'm meh on are straight slasher films with no ghosts (so like yes to nightmare on elm street, no to saw). I'll give magnetic rose a try first since you both recommended it, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dorohedoro is phenomenal but is it really horror? It's one of the goriest series ever but it's also practically looney tunes with said gore. I guess it tries to be unnerving at times but almost invariably turns its unsettling characters into the next silly rear end in a top hat to join the recurring cast

Edit: I suppose it counts as horror action/comedy.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 15, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorohedoro is every genre (including cooking show), though I think the anime cut out the sequence that would be the most out and out horror

Later in the manga definitely counts as at least mild horror

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pandy fackler posted:

The first season of Promised Neverland is actually a pretty good horror story.

If you want a "horror" story that is so janky about it, it turns into funny laughs time, go watch Another.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SexyBlindfold posted:

It'd depend on what particular slice of horror you're looking for, but two good ones on polar opposite ends of the spectrum would be Monster and Dorohedoro. Monster has no supernatural elements (that I recall, it's been a while since I read it) but really nails that psychological horror - thriller vibe, with an extremely tense atmosphere and a rich cast of complex characters.

Monster absolutely nails having you just be anxious of having Johan be in a room with anyone, because you have no idea what might happen.

And no; there are no supernatural elements in Monster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AlternateNu posted:

The first season of Promised Neverland is actually a pretty good horror story.

If you want a "horror" story that is so janky about it, it turns into funny laughs time, go watch Another.

Another is anime Final Destination and very deliberately so.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mononoke is pretty tense and spooky, certainly worth a watch

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Seconding Mononoke. Be sure to watch the last three episodes of Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales first, since that is where the story starts from and there are references to that arc later in the series. You do not need to watch the rest of Samurai Horror Tales. Also, Shiki is a really good horror anime. Yea, its characters' hairstyles are out there but it has some of the most effective spooks in anime. You could also go for Serial Experiments Lain, which does trend towards psychological thriller, but its commanding use of atmosphere is top tier and there are some absolutely spooky supernatural elements going on. Finally, Promised Neverland (Season 1) is pretty good. Whatever you do, do not watch the second season. There is no second season!

There is a second season, and you can read all about it in 2021's Worst of the Year thread.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 17, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Parasyte the Maxim is pretty good action-horror if you like that sort of thing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Parasyte is indeed excellent. I wouldn't personally think of it as horror except there is a massive dump truck full of body horror in that show, but body horror I don't really mind at all. If that's a division that matters at all to you it's worth mentioning.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I am in the mood for something with the same sort of sci-fi mystery/thriller vibe as Id: Invaded. Anyone know anything?

Is Psycho-Pass like that and/or actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I am in the mood for something with the same sort of sci-fi mystery/thriller vibe as Id: Invaded. Anyone know anything?

Is Psycho-Pass like that and/or actually good?

I liked S1 of Psycho-Pass and have heard mixed things beyond that / the movies and haven't watched anything else past S1. It was quality enough and not overly long that I think its worth checking out.