Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is Beach Boys influenced enough that I'm nearly convinced it was somebody associated with them's side project that never went anywhere and was never intended to go anywhere, much like the one T. Rex song recorded as Dib Cochran and the Earwigs. The only contemporary reference I can find is a May 1966 Cash Box blurb where the band labels it "baroque pop." It's a very different feel than Stand Back and Look at Yourself, which sounds as generic as possible.

I can find zero contemporary newspaper references to the Mudd Family being a singing group, just the Cash Box mention, and it doesn't mention anyone by name.

It reminds me more of The Mama's and the Papa's than the Beach Boys. The vocal styling, those "bahs," the tempo. Like for the Beach Boys, you need to go a lot more orchestral at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

It reminds me more of The Mama's and the Papa's than the Beach Boys. The vocal styling, those "bahs," the tempo. Like for the Beach Boys, you need to go a lot more orchestral at this point in time.

Bits of it reminded me of what they'd be doing within the next two years with the Bicycle Rider theme and Do It Again. But maybe it's moreso Wrecking Crew vibes out of it, which both groups used.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Some more packages from Japan, so much to sort through, the box sets alone probably have 40-50 records in them, the lots also included what I'm pretty sure are WW2 era military chants which is...:thunk: but whatever, I'm here for the minyo and enka

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Made a mix for a local record store's cassette mixtape exchange event.

https://www.mixcloud.com/CaptainBeefart21/mindful-self-indulgence/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Close to finishing off my King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard collection now, still missing some of the bootlegs. Didn't even realize in addition to their 5 other albums released this year they also did an EP with Tropical gently caress Storm, so had to order that too. I'll post some pics when the last few get here in the next week or so, gonna be a pretty massive stack for a band that's barely been around for 10 years.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Enos Cabell posted:

Close to finishing off my King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard collection now, still missing some of the bootlegs. Didn't even realize in addition to their 5 other albums released this year they also did an EP with Tropical gently caress Storm, so had to order that too. I'll post some pics when the last few get here in the next week or so, gonna be a pretty massive stack for a band that's barely been around for 10 years.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Made a mix for a local record store's cassette mixtape exchange event.

https://www.mixcloud.com/CaptainBeefart21/mindful-self-indulgence/

Digging this. Thank you

Not much of an exaggeration.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Quick question I didn't see in the OP: What's a solid inner sleeve replacement?

I scored a bunch of older records that have the oldest nastiest inner sleeves... like, crumbling brittle plastic or dry tattered paper ones. Was going to buy some new ones to replace them, but, uh... I am now overwhelmed by options. Is it best to get the plastic ones? Like, I think polyethylene is the material used? Or the rice paper ones? Are new paper sleeves fine or is paper going to scuff the records? The paper ones with the plastic liner seem nice... is there a Canadian equivalent of Bagsunlimited?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I like the rice paper ones. There's a brand called "Invest in Vinyl" on amazon that's been fine for me so far. I replace every inner sleeve with them because I like consistency. I don't like the paper ones with plastic lining as much because having plastic all over creates less friction.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

He knows exactly where everything is. Don’t move it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CatBlack posted:

I like the rice paper ones. There's a brand called "Invest in Vinyl" on amazon that's been fine for me so far. I replace every inner sleeve with them because I like consistency. I don't like the paper ones with plastic lining as much because having plastic all over creates less friction.

Yeah these are great. I still also get regular paper sleeves for cheapo/Goodwill finds but for any halfway decent vinyl rice paper inners are the way to go.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CatBlack posted:

Yep, get these.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

sporklift posted:

Digging this. Thank you

You're welcome, thanks for listening.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Finally snagged myself a copy of the self-titled Broken Social Scene vinyl last night, at the Broken Social Scene concert. Guess they're keeping all of the copies to sell on tour instead of in their online store.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wish there was a way you could teleport records and other merch you buy at a show back to your car. I hate babysitting that stuff, but waiting until the show is over is risking everything you want being sold out.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Enos Cabell posted:

Wish there was a way you could teleport records and other merch you buy at a show back to your car. I hate babysitting that stuff, but waiting until the show is over is risking everything you want being sold out.

This wasn’t a problem in the 2000s. Jeans pockets were big enough to comfortably hold a cd jewel case.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Creature posted:

This wasn’t a problem in the 2000s. Jeans pockets were big enough to comfortably hold a cd jewel case.

Shame that Case Logic and JNCO never did a collab.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Enos Cabell posted:

I’ve noticed in the last few shows I’ve gone to this year if the club has a coat check they also accept all the stuff you buy from the merch booth. So I bring one of those collapsible bags and include that with my coat at coat check full of records.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I used to carry my CD binder around in school lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I used to carry my CD binder around in school lol

lol same. It steadily grew too from a 20 cd holder, to a 50, 100 then I think I capped out at 200 at one point. It was basically the only thing I held in my backpack until like Senior year when I got a Creative Zen Xtra MP3 player.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, I ended up spending extra money on a tote bag to carry it around all night. Felt a little silly, but I've been wanting that record for a while

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Wish there was a way you could teleport records and other merch you buy at a show back to your car.
There really isn't any excuse for me not becoming a dude at a show with his own tube for posters.

Just got this one from Earth. I didn't notice that it's for a SF show (I tend to only pick up posters from shows I go to), but it was too dank not to get:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought this today having no idea what it was other than wanting to add to my Jethro Tull collection, only googled it when I got home and found out it's a live, bootleg not something I was familiar with before.

It's actually really good! I want to find out more information about my particular pressing but apparently that only exists in the Hot Wacks book.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t see a general chat thread so I figured I’d share this here

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7154816535700426030

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

CatBlack posted:

sweet, i'd been looking through options on Amazon and hadn't come across Invest in Vinyl for whatever reason. thanks!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Megabound posted:

Bought this today having no idea what it was other than wanting to add to my Jethro Tull collection, only googled it when I got home and found out it's a live, bootleg not something I was familiar with before.

It's actually really good! I want to find out more information about my particular pressing but apparently that only exists in the Hot Wacks book.

The “Trade Mark of Quality” pig is one of the classic bootleg “labels” going back to the early 70s, maybe late 60s. I think their first releases were the Bob Dylan “Great White Wonder” series, which were just a mishmash of stuff taken from bootlegs that got famous on their own, like Witmark Demos, Isle of Wight 69 concerts, stuff like that. They were in plain white sleeves, too, sometimes stamped GWW, sometimes not. They didn’t have the cool back sticker like that one. Definitely didn’t have the cool name either.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got some of my KGLW stuff in today, was pretty stoked to see half of them were pressed 45 min up the road from me.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

The “Trade Mark of Quality” pig is one of the classic bootleg “labels” going back to the early 70s, maybe late 60s. I think their first releases were the Bob Dylan “Great White Wonder” series, which were just a mishmash of stuff taken from bootlegs that got famous on their own, like Witmark Demos, Isle of Wight 69 concerts, stuff like that. They were in plain white sleeves, too, sometimes stamped GWW, sometimes not. They didn’t have the cool back sticker like that one. Definitely didn’t have the cool name either.

I was getting ads for the book a while back.

https://geniusbookpublishing.com/products/a-pigs-tale-open-edition?variant=39432020164707

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That’s the kind of book I would read when I have a shelf full of unread literature because I’m dumb. So I will probably be buying that

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

That’s the kind of book I would read when I have a shelf full of unread literature because I’m dumb. So I will probably be buying that

Same ..but it's $60 which makes it a little easier to resist buying it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Public service announcement:

If you are cleaning a gramophone disc with a matte paper label and water gets on it, lightly dab it and let it air dry. Do not wipe it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol yeah. Also don’t bother trying to remove pricing stickers on labels. Those are just there now.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

If you are cleaning a gramophone disc with a matte paper label and water gets on it, lightly dab it and let it air dry. Do not wipe it.

You're supposed to soak the labels off so other DJ's can't steal your set.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

dorium posted:

Lol yeah. Also don’t bother trying to remove pricing stickers on labels. Those are just there now.

This is the way. It is provenance.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I went to a vinyl record fair here in DC today where a bunch of record stores descended upon a hotel ballroom today, but it was a loving poo poo show with people all surrounding crates of used records. My friend and I lasted 5 minutes before we called it quits.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Malicious damage.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

Oh I've never even attempted that I know it's pointless. This was just a drop of cleaning fluid getting where it's not supposed to. I do it a lot but usually it's the glossy kind of labels where it wipes right off without damage.

Nihonniboku posted:

I went to a vinyl record fair here in DC today where a bunch of record stores descended upon a hotel ballroom today, but it was a loving poo poo show with people all surrounding crates of used records. My friend and I lasted 5 minutes before we called it quits.

But think of all the 15th pressing VG- classic rock records you missed out on paying 30 bucks a pop for!

Toe Rag posted:

Malicious damage.

That was not lost on me, lol.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my recent pickups - the demon days is clear and the wonderful, glorious is transparent orange (it's a double 10" at 33 1/3). the mars volta is the "kinetic edition," which I'm honestly not sure what that means, but it was the one I got

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enos Cabell posted:

Pearl Jam and their fans have an absolutely terrible relationship with merch in general that should in no way be looked up to in any regard but one thing they do that I really like is they tend to sell merch outside the show so you can get there whenever is convenient, pick up whatever you want, and take it elsewhere and not have to lug it around inside the show.

Nihonniboku posted:

The last record fair I went to was in 2019 (or maybe 2018) and it was a shitshow. I don't think I'd do that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm gunna see The Mars Volta tomorrow night so I may just go ahead and pick up that new record.