Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yaws posted:

What'd y'all think of Murder House?

Pretty boring, nothing else from PC has lived up to stay out of the house imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
scorn's combat was terrible but in a way i found pleasantly nostalgic, like the ps2 horror games of my childhood

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

scorn's combat was terrible but in a way i found pleasantly nostalgic, like the ps2 horror games of my childhood

it's another point of comically confused design that your primary weapon is this flintlock meat pistol that takes a good 2s to properly line up and aim, and then like 35 minutes later you get the super shotgun from doom

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

ha. Yeah actually in general Scorn kind of reminds me of a random PS2 game you'd grab off the shelf at blockbuster except with really good graphics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm basically on hard mode now since I lost a bunch of health in that orb area with a bunch of enemies and I haven't found a health pickup in an hour. So a single hit kills me which is super cool considering scorn man is just about the least agile video game character. If I run out of shotgun ammo I am probably screwed or going to have to run from everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There were a couple of times I thought I'd checkpointed myself into an unwinnable position because I was a single hit away from death with a bunch of almost impossible to avoid enemies in my way and was going to have revert to the last proper save almost an hour ago. Fortunately it never actually came to that but its wasnt a fun feeling, I'd usually missed a heal station somewhere.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oxxidation posted:

I see Scorn's combat like the combat in Alone in the Dark, it's there but it's not really good but AitD knew that and Scorn seems too happy to remind you that you have a gun. Give me more puzzles please, I don't want to kill stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Scorn's visuals must be the one thing one holding it together if the critics are making GBS threads on its combat, puzzles, length, checkpointing, and level of polish.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The visuals are 100% the point of the game, everything else is clearly an afterthought; but the way they absolutely nailed the art and the level of detail they took it to is really astounding. This is a walking sim with some body horror, and from what I've played so far it doesn't really have much actual horror outside of knowing you're going to have to go into combat at some point.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The visuals and sound design are the meat and bones of the game, yeah. Honorable mention to the animations, too, as its not just impressive when static. And they're good enough that people who like horror games will keep going.

But I guess we're not exactly new to suffering gameplay for the sake of spoop vibes. More like par for the course. Some of us might not even know better. :v:

e: combat became a lot easier when I realised I should hardly ever try to stand my ground. If you have to fight close with the first weapon, run away after hitting them twice. Abuse LoS where and whenever you can. Won't make it better, but does make it easier and removes the frustration.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 16, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Scorn's giving me Inside vibes but in first person. It aesthetically makes a super strong impression, and you feel compelled to push towards somewhere you almost certainly shouldn't be going. Also I think I'm being overly cautious about the combat because I haven't shot anything yet. Most of the critters so far will go away if you don't provoke them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1stGear posted:

Well, it's a shame that a game in development for the better part of a decade came out disappointing.

Anyway, how's Routine doing?

The robot looks worse in the most recent video.

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I will play Scorn when there is a mod that lets me be Mike Dawson, complete with sound clips.

lmao right before I read your post Dark Seed popped into my head reading the Scorn stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mindblast posted:

But I guess we're not exactly new to suffering gameplay for the sake of spoop vibes. More like par for the course. Some of us might not even know better. :v:

I kinda feel this way about Puppet Combo games. I love that gritty, grimy 80s aesthetic but man do I hate actually playing them.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
10 years after release, IMSCARED got an update that's equally surprising and significant!

quote:

But what's with this update?

I want to introduce you the 2022 Update, a new version of IMSCARED which aims to faithfully remaster the old experience. This iteration of the game aims to be the best way to enjoy it, a clean new project made in the latest Game Maker version. A project that, if needed, can be easily updated unlike the old 2016 version. This version also kickstarts the development of mobile and console ports!

Let's see what changed:

This version is the perfect mix between IMSCARED 2012 and 2016, picking the best from each version;
The game finally has an Options menu, which you can access in the start screen;
The game stars some small differences here and there, but don't worry: I hold IMSCARED story at heart and there are no major changes, just some aesthetic ones;
Game's aspect ratio is now 16:9;
60fps, for the love of god...;
...And Legacy options! You can select the old 2012 framerate & footsteps sfx, if you're a purist;
Changed the way IMSCARED manages languages files. Expect more translations soon;
Gamepad is now partially supported, but I suggest you to play with a keyboard while I finalize the thing;
Steam cards, background and emojis are now available (but I'm pretty sure some of you already received a big pack of cards by now);

There's probably stuff I'm forgetting right now, but it is indeed a chunky update. A remaster? A remake? Don't know really, I just wanted to make this thing.

Very nice to see small indie projects getting extra love and polish after so long! Especially a game like that, which had great scares but some clunky aspects. Time for a redux session!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/SilentHill/status/1581754587563708416?s=20&t=Vn3ZXZ7DdEBaWgonsPBOMQ

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
SileNFT Hill

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Whaaaaaat no way, you mean to tell me any of that leaked poo poo has been real?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

- horror themed dating Sim
- VR rail shooter
- asymmetric multiplayer arena game
- Silent Hill 2 remake but they farm it out to someone even worse than before

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Book of Memories 2 here we go

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

man nurse posted:

Whaaaaaat no way, you mean to tell me any of that leaked poo poo has been real?

Yeah, its all real. Always believe in the power of posting!

This is whats coming:

Silent hill: the short message teaser for sh5 which is made by ito and unknown japanese dev (most likely this on wednesday because it was rated in korea, so expect a shadowdrop on ps5)

Sh5 (ps5 exclusive)
Sh2 remake by blooper (lol) 1 year exclusive for ps5)
Sh spin off (mulitplat) episodic by annapurna dev
Return to silent hill - new movie by gans.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah, its all real. Always believe in the power of posting!

This is whats coming:

Silent hill: the short message teaser for sh5 which is made by ito and unknown japanese dev (most likely this on wednesday because it was rated in korea, so expect a shadowdrop on ps5)

Sh5 (ps5 exclusive)
Sh2 remake by blooper (lol) 1 year exclusive for ps5)
Sh spin off (mulitplat) episodic by annapurna dev
Return to silent hill - new movie by gans.

If this worked we would have the frequently leaked Switch Pro

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silent Hill audiobook of the novelization of the movie read by Vincent’s actor.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Silent Hill Online -- 999 Pyramid Gems [BEST VALUE]

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can't wait for the Silent Hill Character Shooter.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Konami exec: "We really wanted to make a game that appeals to our Dead By Daylight horror lovers and the modern Fortnite loving mobile gamer!"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Glad DuskGolem finally gets to feel vindicated. Took poo poo for years for his leaks being called fake, but naw just an excitable dude who loves horror and attention while knowing certain people.

Finally some more Silent Hill! I've enjoyed something about every game so I'm psyched.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 17, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tried playing dna: dark native apostle today. weird obscure early ps2 bomberman offshoot with a vaguely survival horror theme. it's uh, well i played a really bad low budget survival horror ps1 game recently called chaos break and dna started off decent but the second and third areas gave me vibes closer to that, than to bomberman or a good survival horror game so i quit halfway through. funny opening and some cool music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOywJXWTgQ

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Agent Escalus posted:

10 years after release, IMSCARED got an update that's equally surprising and significant!

Very nice to see small indie projects getting extra love and polish after so long! Especially a game like that, which had great scares but some clunky aspects. Time for a redux session!

Is this the game that ends with you approaching a chair and a noose and the scary face flies at you? I assume that's the 2012 version, I didn't even know it got a redux.

Also, KIRA (Lost in Vivo) released a very short/small thing but boy is it beautiful https://akuma-kira.itch.io/vergilius

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

1stGear posted:

8-minute gameplay video of the Dead Space remake. Looks gorgeous and has backported the best parts of Dead Space 2 into the still-solid foundation of DS1 so it should be good. But I do think the Ishimura now being one big interconnected level is a questionable decision.

I finally remembered to go back and watch this, and man does it look good. Comparing it to the original game is also crazy - that one's still fine and looks good for the era, but boy does my memory do some work filling it in to make it look more advanced than it actually did until I see the side-by-sides.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finally remembered to go back and watch this, and man does it look good. Comparing it to the original game is also crazy - that one's still fine and looks good for the era, but boy does my memory do some work filling it in to make it look more advanced than it actually did until I see the side-by-sides.

someone in one of the videos commented something like "the remake looks like how you remember it" which is, i think, completely accurate

dead space 1 is still a hell of a technical magic trick considering they were making it run on poo poo like the OG xbox, and you can still play it today with an atmosphere that's just as effective

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vermain posted:

someone in one of the videos commented something like "the remake looks like how you remember it" which is, i think, completely accurate

I've heard that before for remasters & remakes, and it's funny how often it's true. And yeah, the original here is impressively well done, I didn't play it until last year and it still works perfectly fine on its own terms.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do hope that they'll be willing to break with canon for the remake and slightly adjust the opening to give the tension a bit of room to boil, because my biggest complaint with DeS1 as a horror game is that it shows its hand within, like, 3 minutes of you getting control of isaac and then you're off to the necromorph races

even a 10 minute intro/tutorial with no monsters before the big spoop would work fine, IMO

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Glad DuskGolem finally gets to feel vindicated. Took poo poo for years for his leaks being called fake, but naw just an excitable dude who loves horror and attention while knowing certain people.

Finally some more Silent Hill! I've enjoyed something about every game so I'm psyched.

Yeah that was my first thought too. Their commitment to all this during what I assume has been 2-3 years of relentless trolling is impressive.

My second thought was of course that I hope the games themselves are all worth it and that we're not getting SH Kart or something.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hell he's already enjoying himself so he's feeling pretty drat good lol. Teased an unannounced Sony horror game he's calling "Ooze" for now.

He finally found the balance between revealing too much and putting up enough to not be whispers on the wind and now he has the cred to just hint at things. The one thing I've never been able to really settle on is why the official Silent Hill account followed him ages ago. Like way back when he was just saying "shits coming at some point trust me"

Anyway, if everything holds true we get the SH2 remake, the episodic series and the next main line. Not counting the Sakura/SMS teaser we might get reveal day.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 17, 2022

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hell he's already enjoying himself so he's feeling pretty drat good lol. Teased an unannounced Sony horror game he's calling "Ooze" for now.

He finally found the balance between revealing too much and putting up enough to not be whispers on the wind and now he has the cred to just hint at things. The one thing I've never been able to really settle on is why the official Silent Hill account followed him ages ago. Like way back when he was just saying "shits coming at some point trust me"

Anyway, if everything holds true we get the SH2 remake, the episodic series and the next main line. Not counting the Sakura/SMS teaser we might get reveal day.

I don’t get how he went from being a capcom insider to being an industry,wide insider who has the skinny on every horror ip in development

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Man scorn really did just come and go without making much of a splash huh.

I get it though, horror tends to be niche in general then the combat is not the greatest and the puzzles are gonna be frustrating for most people. Just funny that there is very little discussion (and the subreddit has barely over 3,000 users) for something that's available on gamepass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looked nice but it's five hours long has barely anything to talk about other than the visuals and pre-release trailers showed 80% of was in the final game.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ineffiable posted:

I get it though, horror tends to be niche in general then the combat is not the greatest and the puzzles are gonna be frustrating for most people. Just funny that there is very little discussion (and the subreddit has barely over 3,000 users) for something that's available on gamepass.

I dunno, it seems to have dominated a lot of discourse and discussion within the communities I follow this weekend. Then again those are a lot of horror focused communities, and I suppose a weekend curiosity ticks the box with how a lot of folks will interact with GamePass.

I think it'll keep appearing in screenshot and art focused discussion, but it seems limited for any further long term analysis or chit chat beyond that. I expect this weeks Silent Hill announcements to bury it fairly swiftly too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

It's a game where the visuals are 99% the point so I can't say there's much to talk about outside of "I wish the gameplay was different," which is what most of the discourse is about.

I think it's a rad game and it feels genuinely unique despite its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm probably going to end up watching someone play it cause the style of puzzles in the game aren't my thing but I just don't think there's much to talk about with the game due to having no text or dialogue or story to speak of.