Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Penisaurus Sex posted:

2022 Mariners season is over so here are some thoughts.

1. Julio Rodriguez is much better than I thought, and I thought I was being optimistic. Putting aside his weird start to the year he played at essentially MVP quality level (145-150+ wRC+ and average fielding in CF). Even if he just plays at that level for the next few years he's a legitimate franchise cornerstone player and the best to wear a Mariners uniform since A-Rod left.

This is Ichiro erasure and I want to call you out for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

every time I see a Dodgers season it's like “the team had three separate 28-game win streaks en route to a 137-25 season while the lineup did something that hasn't been done since ‘The Massacre Men’ of the 1886 Allentown Boatswains, as Los Angeles lost in the NLDS 3-1”

:discourse:

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Dodgers should have saved some of those wins for the postseason *taps head*

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
congrats on the regular season world championship, dodgers

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

It was fun winning games all year long and seeing guys like Gonsolin and Anderson and some new kids step up and show out, but we kept telling ourselves it wouldn’t mean anything if they didn’t finish the job. And here we are. No offensive effort in the DS except for a few ABs here and there and the great season is over in five days. Just incredible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LobsterMobster posted:

congrats on the regular season world championship, dodgers

oh my

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What grade do you even give the Dodgers season? F for not getting past the ALDS? A for the regular season?

What a very, very weird year they had.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kirios posted:

What grade do you even give the Dodgers season? F for not getting past the ALDS? A for the regular season?

What a very, very weird year they had.

This might be the Dodger-est season of them all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This might be the Dodger-est season of them all.

we didn't get a postseason kershaw meltdown though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the dodgers are the latest victim of the poo poo playoff format

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm not sure how you watch this postseason and say it's a poo poo format.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

It rules when you have no skin in the game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's a poo poo format if the team you root for is really good.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Intruder posted:

the dodgers are the latest victim of the poo poo playoff format

How the heck are the Dodgers victims when the format allowed them to dodge the Mets and Braves altogether?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's a poo poo format if the team you root for is really good.

Yeah it really screwed the Astros over.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Super Jay Mann posted:

How the heck are the Dodgers victims when the format allowed them to dodge the Mets and Braves altogether?

Technically it should have with reseeding, it was just a happy accident that it happened

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The best team in the regular season doesn't win the World Series very often. That's just baseball, baby. It's a sport that depends on large sample sizes to determine how good teams are, but the best teams all get thrown into a small sample size tournament at the end and crazy poo poo happens.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

FWIW I do think the playoffs should be re-seeded based of record. This is the second year in a row two 100+ win teams exhausted each other in a narrow divisional race, only to get bounced early on.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

What would be the point of having divisions than?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

posting this here too

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Has the past decade of Dodgers surpassed the 90s Braves of extremely stacked teams that failed to win it all legends?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No beause those Braves teams were nowhere near as stacked as the Dodgers teams

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

No beause those Braves teams were nowhere near as stacked as the Dodgers teams

Hmmm. Those Braves teams had 5* Hall of Fame players in their prime. Not sure I agree with this take

*Andruw Jones is a Hall of Famer. It's the voters who are wrong

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Popete posted:

Has the past decade of Dodgers surpassed the 90s Braves of extremely stacked teams that failed to win it all legends?

Considering the Braves at least won a WS with a mostly full length season and not just 60 games, yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Dodgers are becoming Yankee level playoff gaggers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

The Dodgers are becoming Yankee level playoff gaggers.

This is possibly the meanest thing mcmagic could ever say about another team.

I love baseball and the chaos it brings.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

*Andruw Jones is a Hall of Famer. It's the voters who are wrong

poo poo I thought he already was a hall of famer. Another reason to hate the BBWAA.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

poo poo I thought he already was a hall of famer. Another reason to hate the BBWAA.

Jones' issue is that he fell hard and fast. He was cooked at 30. Considering he debuted as a 19-year-old that's not bad, but the injuries (and weight) piled up and I'm honestly shocked that he only pulled a negative WAR in one season. In the end, he was a defensive liability, too, whereas he'd been the best active centerfielder in baseball until then.

His defense might also hurt his case because Jones made everything look routine. Even this looks routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZlGme4Eh8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sIjQvmZghA

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

IcePhoenix posted:

This is Ichiro erasure and I want to call you out for it

Julio is better on the field than Ichiro.

He doesn’t have that feeling of “Best baseball player alive, even if he doesn’t do everything we know he can” during a game though.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Considering the Braves at least won a WS with a mostly full length season and not just 60 games, yes.

This logic is so rear end backwards it's amazing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In terms of DRS, Andruw Jones is the best fielder of all time. That alone should be enough to get him into the Hall.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

In terms of DRS, Andruw Jones is the best fielder of all time. That alone should be enough to get him into the Hall.

people still underestimate him, i bet he played shallower than just about any CF ever too because he was so confident he could haul down anything that got over his head (which, with that pitching staff, was not all that often), so he could concentrate on vacuuming up would-be bloops

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

this strolled across my timeline so why not, I've never seen it before and maybe someone else hasn't either

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1581788877185961985

what a hose

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

this strolled across my timeline so why not, I've never seen it before and maybe someone else hasn't either

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1581788877185961985

what a hose

Bo is seriously underrated.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

My only regret about the Braves is that the Phillies had the second coolest bat flip ever against us. Is this how Rangers fans feel? But like without the world series?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I've been thinking a lot about the Mariners future after the sweep. I agree with most of the points Penisaurus Rex made in his post earlier that the future is pretty bright. Especially that pitching core of Castillo/Gilbert/Kirby/Ray as the best starting four the Mariners have had ever as a franchise. And while you can never be 100% sure that a good bullpen will stay good, the fact remains that it was very good in both 2021 and 2022 with a bunch of former random arms, so I think whatever talent shows up next year will be relatively good and not something to worry about. Also something not to worry about is that the Mariners defense was very good as well. So, as with every Mariners team in my life, it comes down to the bats. And, man, I am extremely worried about how bad this lineup looks.

Julio and Eugenio are the only two bats coming back next year I trust. Julio's the only real elite bat on this team, while Suarez is a consistent power hitter that may be streaky but is still ultimately a big positive and threat in this lineup. JP Crawford started the year strong at the plate before going back to being below average but very livable as a good shortstop, so I have no qualms with him. Cal Raleigh, bless his heart, gave his entire hand for this team down the stretch and owns.

Everyone else is extremely shaky. Ty France has been miserable to watch since his injury and after the All Star Break. I hope it's simple as an injury that's causing his issues. I don't see Mitch Haniger or Adam Frazier coming back, and, as sad as it makes me in the case of Mitch especially as the rock of the team in 2018, they really shouldn't. Carlos Santana also shouldn't return but may just as a clubhouse guy--his bat was awful against RHPs. Abraham Toro and Dylan Moore are not starters on a playoff team. They're great utility guys but if they're our plan to start at 2B next season, I'm very worried.

I don't know what they're going to do about the outfield. Jesse Winker can only take walks and is an even worse defender than Raul Ibanez out in left field, while Jarred Kelenic is great at defense and sincerely truly absolutely cannot hit major league pitching. He's still young but it is just extremely painful to watch him go up there and struggle. I would not be shocked if he gets traded because the fanbase seems done with him and there might be a team willing to buy low on him. And if the Mariners are giving those at-bats to Kelenic instead of Taylor Trammell or Kyle Lewis, well, that just speaks to how low the organization's confidence is in them and I don't see them making the team next year.

Ultimately, the Mariners have only two positions where there's no long-term solution in place, right field and second base. I think left field is a huge problem if Winker continues to be poo poo next year, but RF and 2B are the biggest obvious holes. Trea Turner and Aaron Judge are both free agents. I don't think they're getting Judge, but Turner would do so much for this team if they're willing to go out and get him. The big problem with not signing Judge is that there's no other great or even good outfielder free agent becoming available. Like, I don't think Joey Gallo or Michael Brantley or Adam Duvall are the answer. So the Mariners would have to pray that one of Kelenic/Lewis/Trammell figures it out or maybe give Zach DeLoach a shot instead if they're thinking to fill the spot internally. Or Jerry could do what he loves the most and make a trade.

This is a long post, but to sum it up, the Mariners have the pitching and defense of a great playoff team, and way too many question marks in their lineup to support those staffs. So basically like every other Mariners team ever.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/joonlee/status/1582389246509260803

me too shohei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Come to Seattle! We made it to the playoffs!

good god would he be a huge upgrade to our pitching staff and lineup