Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The Raiden Shogun doesn't breathe, so it's the puppet all throughout.

This is also why people figured out that Albedo is a homunculus way before the game finally confirmed it. He inexplicably didn't have visible breath out in the extreme cold of Dragonspine while everyone else did. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Koboje posted:

it feels like Paimon is my main character and the Traveler is just another Pokemon like the other characters I collected

the main character is paimon's beast of burden. paimon is there to tell you what you just saw, how you should feel about it, what to do next, etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Koboje posted:

I am fairly new at Genshining, gotten to recently exploring Liyue and the story and got some questions and observation OP did not answer fully.

Are the Elemental reactions interchangable as far as damage is concerned if all other factors are equal?

The Traveler bugs me a bit, my MC girl is dead silent throughout all these events and the story while Paimon keeps blathering fully voiced, it feels like Paimon is my main character and the Traveler is just another Pokemon like the other characters I collected, except I cant talk to her, so she has even less of a presence. I guess she would only comment on things in the wild if I had her out and about, but her silence elsewhere makes me doubt it, even if I can plainly see she has a lot of voice lines in her Profile.

Related to previous point, right now Traveler has Anemo and Geo stuffs to switch between, neither feels that good in a fight compared to my alternatives so she is relegated to being brought out when I need a rock drop to reach an Oculi. Not knowing the meta stuff much, is she viable to develop with fun other Magic stuffs to switch between or coming up? Or just viable at all?

Eating foods, what effects can you stack, or is it just whatever highest modifier for any specific thing that matters? Right now I am munching one of each type of buff before tough fights

Just to confirm what I suspect, Fates never go on sale do they?

Oh yeah, what does Friendship level/points mean?

For food you can use one buff from each category, so one attack food, one defense food, one stamina food, and one elemental potion.
Friendship level just unlocks more story blurbs in a character's info screen, and at level 10 it unlocks a character-specific profile background. You naturally get it over time from doing various kinds of things like domains or quests with the character in your party, but mostly you can just 100% ignore it.

You can definitely just ignore the Traveler forever if you want, she's not useless like Amber but she's never the best either. Each element has separate skill levels so investing resources in leveling her up is kind of a pain in the rear end / a trap if you don't have a specific team you're gonna use her for, since all those skill mats go poof if you decide to swap from geo to electro.
The newest dendro element is probably the most useful but only in specific teams built around dendro reactions. And yeah, each elemental reaction works differently enough that you will want very different builds/teams to build around it.

Anemo traveler is also pretty handy just for the ability to group enemies up but if you manage to get Sucrose she does the same job better.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 16, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gameplay-wise the Traveler is mostly intended as an emergency back-up in case you haven't pulled any good alternatives. She will likely never be the best choice at any element (except arguably dendro right now as we have few options), but she'll always be an option. Story-wise she remains a silent protagonist but they do eventually add more personality to her dialog options and non-dialog characterization.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's also worth noting the traveller will almost always be the easiest 'brute force' character for you, in that just progressing the story in a given area unlocks their constellations and ascension materials. So they can easily be levels ahead of your other characters -if you choose to level them. You can also ditch them except for when the zone your in requires an element you don't otherwise have for puzzles.
Especially when newer the most important thing is playing characters you like cosmetically and playstyle wise. Any character with leveled up artifacts and weapons can do 90% of the conten you'll see.
Geo and anemo traveller are perfectly servicable, keep in mind folks who are a fan of dendro traveller generally aren't a fan of the kit, so much as the reactions dendro opens up, so it's more of an 'advanced' team synergy thing.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Right many thanks everyone for your answers!

I can actually do some planning now and not just keep smacking people around with my big stick people and throwing in random elements for shiny effects, but smacking will probably always be a feature of my tactics.

Gonna do more exploring and see if I can unlock more Traveler elements as well

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
EM Raiden

Since there was a person interested in raw damage values, I checked what my level 90 raiden with dragonsbane and 1023 base EM did. Looks like 16700 overloads when her gilded dream passive isn't active, 18000 when it is. Just for fun, electrocharge was 10,000, and hyperbloom was 27,000.

That's totally unbuffed, so you could definitely get higher values with EM boosts, resistance shred etc.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

Is there a barrier that blocks newbie access to Sumeru? If not (or if it's just tough enemies), you could always do a trek over the mountains from Liyue to unlock a statue

On a similar note I was surprised to see some 12-13,000 overload numbers the other day when my hyperbloom raiden zapped some pyro infused hilichurls. How closer is that to the upper limit for overload?

There's a bunch of stuff locked behind story quests so you can probably get there but won't be able to do half the content.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bakalakadaka posted:

There's a bunch of stuff locked behind story quests so you can probably get there but won't be able to do half the content.
The idea would just be to dip into Sumeru to unlock dendro MC, which doesn't require any story unlocks. (Compare to Inazuma, which requires a fair bit of story content to even reach.)

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Tried to do abyss in my testing gear and didn't notice until floor 11 :negative:

Other than that just here to submit my biweekly gripe about how dirty they did DMC. Burst coulda been 60 cost and it'd be totally fine.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bakalakadaka posted:

Are the Aranyaka and Golden Slumber quest chains locked behind Archon Act 3 progression at all? The wiki doesn't list any prerequisites for them, in theory a new player could start those quests and unlock the underground areas right away.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 16, 2022

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
After playing with Collei more and getting a better grasp of her nuances, no one can convince me she isn't a much better enabler than DMC. Her damage might not be great, but she's miles ahead in consistency. I'm actually gonna be sad when I eventually replace her with Nahida.

https://i.imgur.com/krI8MQD.mp4
Any team that can get by without bursts is automatically in my faves list.

https://i.imgur.com/M2cGJYX.mp4
I'm so pleasantly surprised with my fridge team's results, that I've been doing bloom science and actually working out proper rotations. Collei was able to keep up with XQ's Hydro output for a total of 13 (hyper)blooms! Had to put on crap gear so as not to kill it, so those hyperblooms should be doing 4x as much damage.

https://i.imgur.com/ZX9wfw4.mp4
One very interesting thing about running all these elements together is the intricacies between not just the base elements, but the "special" ones, of which it has 3 (frozen, quicken, and EC). It helps to know that quicken acts as a Dendro aura, and frozen acts as Cryo. The former of which lets me open with quicken and not worry about messing up freeze with a superconduct.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A shame that Collei basically needs C2 to function though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Clarste posted:

A shame that Collei basically needs C2 to function though.

They gave 2 free copies of her though, so assuming you pulled her once, you're there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I didn't restart playing until after her banner ended, and the odds of pulling any particular off-banner 4* are fairly low.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How in the gently caress do I beat Yae Miko's flame trial thing? It's insanely frustrating and I'm bad at the game in general.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How in the gently caress do I beat Yae Miko's flame trial thing? It's insanely frustrating and I'm bad at the game in general.

That one was an absolute nightmare. The only advice I can give is try make sure your game isn't lagging because if it is it's practically impossible

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Keep in mind that the game counts ANY tick of damage as a failure. If you accidentally light the grass on fire, for example, then the burn damage will cause you to fail.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how it went, but I recall it becoming easier when I decided to stop attacking at all and focus on evading.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I seem to recall basically just jogging around the edge of the barrier and constantly faffing with the camera to keep an eye on the thing. It was a lot easier on keyboard.

↑ As for the above, I did just look it up (good thing, too --- I had this idea that the barrier was also electricity, kinda like in the childe domain. Seems it's not, you can just run along it I think), all you need to attack is the pillars for the last attack that covers basically the whole field; and then it's just the one, to make a safe spot. Pretty sure you don't need to attack anything else, just resist the urge to use yanfei or xiangling because of the previously mentioned fire thing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zenostein posted:

I seem to recall basically just jogging around the edge of the barrier and constantly faffing with the camera to keep an eye on the thing. It was a lot easier on keyboard.

↑ As for the above, I did just look it up (good thing, too --- I had this idea that the barrier was also electricity, kinda like in the childe domain. Seems it's not, you can just run along it I think), all you need to attack is the pillars for the last attack that covers basically the whole field; and then it's just the one, to make a safe spot. Pretty sure you don't need to attack anything else, just resist the urge to use yanfei or xiangling because of the previously mentioned fire thing.

Yeah this is the way to beat it. Also the movespeed buff from 2 anemo characters in party is helpful too

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I thought I had a guarantee so Nilou was in the bag, but I was wrong and Keqing decided to show up instead. So alas, no dancer but now I have a guaranteed Nahida.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wish I got a Keqing dupe, ever... Even her C1 seems like a decent boost to the power of her E.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Having all of the 4* characters in a new banner at C6 already, and then losing the 50/50 (to batman who I don't even use) at relatively high pity feels super bad.

It would be really nice if they tracked your total constellations (over c6) and increased the glitter you get from pulling another by 1 per extra constellation. So a C7 pull gives you the current 5, then a C8 pull would give you 6, C9 would give you 7, etc etc. Put those double-digit-constellation 4* characters to use so you're not just pissing fates into the wind.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

sushibandit posted:

Having all of the 4* characters in a new banner at C6 already, and then losing the 50/50 (to batman who I don't even use) at relatively high pity feels super bad.

It would be really nice if they tracked your total constellations (over c6) and increased the glitter you get from pulling another by 1 per extra constellation. So a C7 pull gives you the current 5, then a C8 pull would give you 6, C9 would give you 7, etc etc. Put those double-digit-constellation 4* characters to use so you're not just pissing fates into the wind.

With that system, there's a point where the whales get to start going infinite with the expected return on a 4star c66 lets them buy back all the fates and keep going.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Capping it at 10 or so doesn't seem like it'd be too unreasonable, but also, eh.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Revert dupes over c6 to giving the normal 2 starglitter, but also reward a token worth 1/10th of a generic 4* Stella Fortuna, imo.

Maybe make it so you can buy one generic 4* constellation for 10 tokens per month in the Paimon shop. Maybe the item just gives you a Stella Fortuna for whatever 4* character you're currently controlling when you use it.

I think it's a fair exchange rate, since it's what, 7 c7+ dupes (or 17 c6-or-less dupes total) to buy a character from the shop, but those are a limited list which has never updated since launch. This could only be used on characters you own and only comes from c7+.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 16, 2022

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
You're missing the simple answer and that is just remove dupes from the pool of possible pulls

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lobsterpillar posted:

You're missing the simple answer and that is just remove dupes from the pool of possible pulls

that breaks the whole point of the gacha system, which is to drain infinite amounts of money from gambling addicts trying to get lucky

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

A token shop type of thing could work too. TBH I'm not certain why they don't have standard 5*s in the glittershop for like ~250 yet.

Lobsterpillar posted:

In a perfect world there wouldn't even be gacha in the game. You'd unlock characters (at least their base models) by completing their storyline quests and maybe farming their ascension boss for a while, then any sort of cash shop could be constellations, outfits/skins, drop boosters, etc. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and we're stuck with the gacha.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

sushibandit posted:

A token shop type of thing could work too. TBH I'm not certain why they don't have standard 5*s in the glittershop for like ~250 yet.

In a perfect world there wouldn't even be gacha in the game. You'd unlock characters (at least their base models) by completing their storyline quests and maybe farming their ascension boss for a while, then any sort of cash shop could be constellations, outfits/skins, drop boosters, etc. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and we're stuck with the gacha.

Constellations shouldn't be cash shop either, since it would just encourage even more of the "You need c4 for this character to even function" characters instead of the cool upgrade that opens more builds or just makes the character win more.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Just found out the hard way that the Key of Khaj-Nisut doesn't trigger on elemental skill hits done while offscreen, in this case for Shinobu's sanctifying ring. Oof. Oops. gently caress.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Just found out the hard way that the Key of Khaj-Nisut doesn't trigger on elemental skill hits done while offscreen, in this case for Shinobu's sanctifying ring. Oof. Oops. gently caress.

Yeah I wish the game was more clear about math and what benefits a character offscreen and on screen. It doesn't help that some items and abilities specify and others don't

Like I think the general rule is artifact set and weapon bonuses only apply when a character is on screen unless otherwise specified, but abilities that snapshot stats make that murkier.

Hell, I don't even know if an offscreen character's EM is used if a lingering effect they used causes a reaction.

A fun thing I discovered recently though: exploding barrel damage uses the stats of whoever hit it, so your weak character hitting one doesn't do much, but a heavy hitter can 1 hit ko themselves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Exploding barrels were a mistake.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Clarste posted:

They can be fun, just like punting enemies off ledges, but both need their math and execution tweaked, because it's really hard to gauge if it'll finish of the enemies (and/or you) or in the case of knocking dudes off of stuff -did you actually kill them or just respawn them at full health? Especially since the enemy fall damage math isn't the same as players.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
IME 90% of the time enemies knocked off cliffs don't die or respawn at full health, they just hang out 10 meters below you aggro'd onto you and annoyingly stop you from completing the challenge or swapping parties for a puzzle until you tediously jump down, oneshot that singular hilichurl, then climb all the way back up.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This abyss felt a bit hard but maybe that's because the blessings are dendro-related and I'm not using dendro.

I had to redo 12-3 with c1 Collei because of that annoying cloak. As bad as Collei is I'm still using her over the dendro MC; that 80 energy burst doesn't hit frequently enough. I'm kinda done with dendro until Nahida arrives.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Clarste posted:

Zhongli disagrees

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Lobsterpillar posted:

Zhongli disagrees

Except for the time he trolled me

https://i.imgur.com/gCYKKlY.mp4