Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I think they've been studying it for the better part of a century and they still don't know poo poo and that scares them to death

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I think they've been studying it for the better part of a century and they still don't know poo poo and that scares them to death

I've come around to this conclusion as well. Basically there exist in various government agencies and military commands different groups tasked with investigating the phenomenon, some with histories going back decades and attendant highly compartmentalized records. Some of them talk to each other and share, some do so in a limited way, some are highly secretive.

Not like huge budgets or anything, but enough that at some point one of them should have been able to get to the bottom of it. However, none of them have anything more than theories and educated guesses because systematic analysis has failed and all attempts at communication have failed. So all they really know is that it's not nothing, that there's some kind of intelligent control behind it, and that it actively resists any attempt at analysis, but no one is any closer to understanding what it is than they were when they opened Project Sign.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.liberationtimes.com/hom...ied-by-congress

Well if Corbell says so...:jerkbag:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Technologically yeah I agree

I think metaphysically they've realized the knowledge undermines their power and they're scared for that reason

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what if they're deliberately doing a bad job of researching it because there's more money in it this way

like if you were the head of the figure-out-the-tictacs project with zero oversight and plenty of funding, how motivated would you be to actually produce more than the bare minimum?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tighclops posted:

this seems most likely

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Doggerland went down around 5-6k years ago iirc re: flood chat

sharknado slashfic has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Oct 15, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

blatman posted:

what if they're deliberately doing a bad job of researching it because there's more money in it this way

like if you were the head of the figure-out-the-tictacs project with zero oversight and plenty of funding, how motivated would you be to actually produce more than the bare minimum?

Nah, if you are getting put in charge of a black project as serious as this one would be they make absolutely sure you are a true believer and someone like that would be highly motivated to figure out or obtain the technology for America as it would basically be an instant win button.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PokeJoe posted:

They're keeping the aliens to themselves because they don't want to share the amazing space drugs and xeno bussy

Xenussy is too powerful. Only the most hardy of human sex havers can begin to handle it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Xenussy is too powerful. Only the most hardy of human sex havers can begin to handle it.

Xex havers*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Humanity can't even handle sex, we're not ready for Xex

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you connect to the glyphosphere & try to access any nonlocal domain ending in .xex you'll instantly transmute into slag with no evidence except unusual isotope ratios & a lot of alarmed & confused MIC scientists

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

This was really good, we need more well edited videos to slowly bring the normies to see things our way.

We need a Mr Beast, except called Mr UAPs or something... and he can hype-beast for disclosure, be like "HEY everyBODY Mister U A P's here! To-day and we got some SICK vids from our pal Luey Eli-Z! So put on your tinfoil hats and strap in for a WILD RIDE" (Lue interview edited like a tiktok video follows)

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
I'm going through the thread for a book round-up megapost. Some of the posts hit different now but running across this post was absolutely golden.

Gods_Butthole posted:

Woah woah woah, backup. What's this about pedophiles? Is loving Jung going to be ruined for me too? I haven't gotten around to reading the Red Book yet and the experience is going to be ruined if I find out it was written by a chomo.

lol lmao

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

[UFOs]: Is loving Jung going to be ruined for me too?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

bro start taking a camera then

NUFORC posted:

Me & my friend were coming home from races & saw two large saucers at the road to gate 1 at Arnold Air Force Base. WE watched them for about 10 min. I decided to get out of the car & walk under them. I got to within about 150 ft. They went from setting still to a speed faster than a jet. I have been a fishing guide for 30 yrs. & fished allot at night & have seen probably 20 to 30 UFO's. I have tried approaching them in my boat & about 150 ft. is as close as I can get. They are gone almost as fast a you blink you eye. They make no sound. I ask my father who worked at Arnold Air Force base if there was such a thing as flying saucers. He give me a odd answer he said I have top secret clearance & I can't tell you if there are & can't tell you there are not real. I think if there are not real he just said no. He had worked top secret work since WWII at UK college.

I know there saucer shaper objects that fly & can go from setting still to gone in about 2 sec. with no sound.

orange orb disappears when a plane passes near it

NUFORC posted:

Out side of Arkadelphia returning to Camden on state hyway car was stopped at intersection we saw the ocupants watching the sky. My Mother-in-law her husband, myself, my wife and her brother all witness a large orange glowing ball witch appeared to be rotating in the sky at around 30 degrees and to the north of us over the woods. The distance was to distant to be determined. We continued on for 20 or so minutes when a small plane approched the ball and it seemed to disapear into itself at a very fast rate. After the small plane passed it returned to the same position where it remained until we reached home some 10 miles norh east of Camden. We called the local radio station to see if anyone else observed the craft and they said they had received dozens of calls. The total trip was over 100 miles and lasted 2 hours and the craft remained visible the entire trip. Same location, same intensity and appeared to be the same size even after traveling such a lon distance.

reports like this are confusing to me because there are so many reports of (i assume) ball lightning on NUFORC and its presumably a natural phenomenon, but afaik nobodys captured video of it yet. is ball lightning just less common now for some reason? just an odd similarity with ufos I guess

NUFORC posted:

I observed one pink/orange glowing ball, @ 3 ft. in diameter "bouncing" along railroad tracks for the length of @ 2 city blocks, this occurred slowly enough for me to follow it down the 2nd "block" at a distance of @ 25 yards. When the ball reached a bridge over a small creek, it shot straight up into the air and disappeared out of sight range. At the time, I was @ 10 years old, and have never found a reasonable explanation for this phenomenon. I have considered ball lightening, or St. Elmos fire as opposed to intelligently operated alien craft.

there are lots of (comparatively) mundane reports where the details surrounding the sighting give it more weight. I try to include as many as I can but there are probably two or three left out for every one I post. so many reports from people that spent decades pondering what they saw without ever finding out and NUFORC is just the ones that cared enough to post about it lol

NUFORC posted:

My Dad, my sister, our dog and I went out to the mailbox, probably early evening. I specifically remember the three of us looking up and seeing a round object with all different colored lights that went round and round on the bottom of it. It seemed very high up in the sky. I have no idea how long it was there. I think only a minute or two, probably. Anyway, it was there and then it just disappeared in an instant. Not even a helicopter could have disappeared that fast. I remember us all wondering what it was and how it could disappear so fast.

I asked my older sister about this a couple years ago to see if she remembered that happening. She told me that she did remember, that it had happened, and that Dad had been pretty freaked out by it. She told me that he had watched the news for a couple weeks after that wondering what it was. There must not have been any reports though that she remembers.

Anyway, I can only guess the year to be between 1967-1970. I must have only been 7 or 8 at the time. I estimate this because my Dad died of Muscular Dystrophy in ’72, and at the time this happened, he was still healthy enough to be walking. I was hoping to find other reports on your site, but didn’t. Therefore, the exact year is unknown. I’d be interested to see if anyone else saw and maybe what year, if they remember.

yet another pink cigar

NUFORC posted:

My mother was leaving to work at cecils coctail lounge. My father was in vietnam. So we did not live on base. (travis airforce base) My mother entered her car and our neighbor a german lady ran over and was poumding on her window and speaking in german and pointing to the sky above the house across the street. My mother got out of her car and saw a cigar shaped craft with a pink glow and making no noise. She is not sure if it was seconds or minuetes she watched object. The craftsuddenly took off toward twinsisters moutain at incredible speed. When she arrived at work and told people the srory she was scoffed at and made fun of, These were mostly pilots and flight line workers as the bar was just outside the base gate. I know this happened. MY MOTHER WOULD NEVER HAD MADE UP SUCH A STORY. And neighbours up and down the streetwitnessed this on a summer evening. My mother says she had know idea what she witnessed but had a feeling it was generating some kind of conection with the neighbors shortwave radio antena wich was very tall.

"multifaceted" craft

NUFORC posted:

I was about 9 yrs. old, playing in my back yard. I looked up over the house at about a 45 degree angle and saw a craft. It was like nothing I had seen before or since. It was multi-facited and it seemed like there were antennas sticking out. There was no sound, lights anything. It was huge. I watched it come out of the west and at first thought it was an airplane. It left no trail and finally stopped. I guess it was about as big as my thumbnail if I held my arm outstretched. I was daylight. I can only guess at the time. The sun did not reflect off of it. It was a slate gray color. After a short time it turned back to the west and slowly left my sight.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdZGhCi_7GY

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

:siren: Book round-up version 1.21 :siren:

I searched for all posts with the word "book" in them and made a list. I've surely missed a lot, so please let me know if something needs to be added. I'll probably go back though using other search terms and update this. The tags are mostly rough guesses based on the amazon description or info in the accompanying post, they might not be accurate. Un-tagged books will get tags as I slowly pursue the list or if I get recommendations on what to tag them as. Titles marked with √ are available at deep discount if you look for it at the thread's favorite library.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Believer: Alien Encounters, Hard Science, and the Passion of John Mack by Ralph Blumenthal
via Post - Biography, Science

The Red Book by C. G. Jung
via Post - Journal, Autobiography, Woo, Spiritualism
[Note: The reader's edition of this book does not have all the illustrations which is probably one of the best parts]

The Day After Roswell by Philip Corso
via Post - Memoir, "Science", Questionable

The Late, Great Planet Earth by Hal Lindsey
via Post - Biblical, Prophecy, Conspiracy Theories, Woo

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
via Post - Fiction, Sci-Fi

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Brother Termite by Patricia Anthony

In Plain Sight: An investigation into UFOs and impossible science by Ross Coulthart
via Post - Investigative Journalism, Science

UFOs and Water: Physical Effects of UFOs on Water Through Accounts by Eyewitnesses by Carl W. Feindt
via Post - Accounts

Russia's USO Secrets: Unidentified Submersible Objects in Russian and International Waters by Paul Stonehill & Philip Mantle
via Post - Accounts

Mysterious Sky: Soviet UFO Phenomenon by Philip Mantle & Paul Stonehill
via Post - Accounts
[Note: This is a rare book, if you get a hold of a copy tell the thread please]

Remarkable luminous phenomena in nature: A catalog of geophysical anomalies by William R Corliss
via Post - Accounts, Science
[Note: This entire series is excellent but goons cleaned out the rest of the backstock, good luck finding a copy now]

The Report On Unidentified Flying Objects by Edward J. Ruppelt
via Post - Government, Blue Book, Science

American Cosmic: UFOs, Religion, Technology by D.W. Pasulka
via Post - Investigative Journalism, Science

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

UFOs & Nukes: Extraordinary Encounters at Nuclear Weapons Sites by Robert Lambert Hastings
via Post - Accounts, Government

When They Appeared: Falcon Lake 1967: The inside story of a close encounter by Chris Rutkowski & Stan Michalak
via Post - Investigative Journalism, Single Event

TRINITY: The Best-Kept Secret by Jacques F. Vallée & Paola Leopizzi Harris
via Post - Government, Single Event

Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base by Annie Jacobsen
via Post - Questionable, Government, Investigative Journalism

Secret Projects: Flying Saucer Aircraft by Bill Rose & Tony Buttler
via Post - Science, Non-UAP

Hunters by Jack Lovejoy
[Note: Book spoilers in post]

1973, Year of the Humanoids: An Analysis of the Fall UFO/Humanoid Wave by David Webb
via Post - Accounts, Science, Investigative Journalism
[Note: This is a rare book, if you get a hold of a copy tell the thread please.]

Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah by Colm A. Kelleher & George Knapp
via Post - Cryptozoology, Science

Inviting ET by Su Walker & Rev. White Otter
via Post - CE5, Woo, P'nutty

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

UFOs and the National Security State: Chronology of a Coverup, 1941-1973 by Richard M. Dolan - Government, Investigative Journalism
The Alien Agendas: A Speculative Analysis of Those Visiting Earth by Richard Dolan
Roswell: The Ultimate Cold Case: Eyewitness Testimony and Evidence of Contact and the Cover-Up by Thomas J. Carey & Donald R. Schmitt - Single Event
The Extra-Dimensional Universe: Where the Paranormal Becomes the Normal by John R. Violette - Woo, Paranormal
via Post

Best UFO Cases: Europe by Illobrand Von Ludwiger - Accounts
Flying Saucers: The Startling Evidence of the Invasion from Outer Space (aka The Great Flying Saucer Hoax) by Coral E. Lorenzen - Accounts
The Invisible College: What a Group of Scientists Has Discovered about UFO Influence on the Human Race by Jacques Vallee
Invisible Residents: The Reality of Underwater UFOs by Ivan T. Sanderson
The Presidents and UFOs: A Secret History from FDR to Obama by Larry Holcombe - Government
Strange Company: Military Encounters with UFOs in World War II by Keith Chester - Government
The Ufo Controversy in America by David M. Jacobs - Accounts
The UFO Experience: A Scientific Inquiry by J. Allen Hynek
UFOs in Wartime: What They Didn't Want You To Know by Mack Maloney - Government
Unconventional Flying Objects: A Former NASA Scientist Explains How UFOs Really Work by Paul R. Hill - Science, Government
The Utah UFO Display: A Scientist's Report by Frank B. Salisbury
via Post

Extraterrestrial: The First Sign of Intelligent Life Beyond Earth by Avi Loeb - Single Event
Life in the Cosmos: From Biosignatures to Technosignatures by Manasvi Lingam & Avi Loeb - Science
via Post

UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record by Leslie Kean
via Post - Government, Investigative Journalism

Mind Trek by Joseph McMoneagle
via Post - Woo

Skinwalkers at the Pentagon: An Insiders' Account of the Secret Government UFO Program by James T Lacatski & Colm A Kelleher & George Knapp
via Post - Paranormal

The Reality of ESP: A Physicist's Proof of Psychic Abilities by Russell Targ
via Post - Woo

Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions by David M. Jacobs
via Post - Accounts

THIEVES IN THE NIGHT: A Brief History of Supernatural Child Abductions by Joshua Cutchin
via Post

The Andreasson Affair: The True Story of a Close Encounter of the Fourth Kind by Raymond E. Fowler
via Post - Woo, Single Event

Impact To Contact: The Shag Harbour Incident by Chris Styles & Graham Simms
via Post - Single Event

The Cydonia Codex: Reflections from Mars by George J. Haas & William R. Saunders
via Post

The Hunt for Zero Point: Inside the Classified World of Antigravity Technology by Nick Cook - Government, Science
Phenomena by Annie Jacobsen - Government, Woo
via Post

The Case Against Reality: Why Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes by Donald Hoffman
via Post - High Strangeness

Essays on Self-Reference by Niklas Luhmann
via Post

The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity by David Graeber & David Wengrow
via Post

Grey Aliens and the Harvesting of Souls: The Conspiracy to Genetically Tamper with Humanity by Nigel Kerner
via Post

The Omega Project: Near-Death Experiences, Ufo Encounters, and Mind at Large by Kenneth Ring - NDEs
Humanoid Encounters 1965-1969: The Others amongst Us by Albert S. Rosales - Accounts
[Note: There are multiple in this series spanning other years]
Beyond UFOs: The Science of Consciousness & Contact with Non Human Intelligence (Volume One) by Reinerio Hernandez & Rudy Schild & Jon Klimo - Accounts
via Post

Probability 1: Why There Must Be Intelligent Life in the Universe by Amir D. Aczel
via Post - Science

Highways of the Mind: The art and history of pathworking by Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki
via Post

The Time Traveller: One Man's Mission To Make Time Travel A Reality by Bruce Henderson & Ronald L Mallett
via Post - Science

Advanced Lucid Dreaming: The Power of Supplements by Thomas Yuschak
via Post

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
via Post - Fiction
[Note: Also available as a Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy with all 3 books in one volume]

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer
via Post - Fiction

Behold a Pale Horse by Milton William Cooper
via Post

Remote Viewers: The Secret History of America's Psychic Spies by Jim Schnabel
via Post

Imaginary Weapons: A Journey Through the Pentagon's Scientific Underworld by Sharon Weinberger
via Post

Triangular UFOs: An Estimate of the Situation by David Marler
via Post

Surviving Death: A Journalist Investigates Evidence for an Afterlife by Leslie Kean
via Post - Investigative Journalism, NDEs

Between Ape and Human: An Anthropologist on the Trail of a Hidden Hominoid by Gregory Forth
via Post - Cryptozoology, Accounts

Moon Man: The True Story of a Filmmaker on the CIA Hit List by Bart Sibrel
via Post

Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe by Robert Lanza & Bob Berman

The World Before Us: The New Science Behind Our Human Origins by Tom Higham
via Post

Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States by James C. Scott
via Post

Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution by Terence McKenna
True Hallucinations: Being an Account of the Author's Extraordinary Adventures in the Devil's Paradise by Terence McKenna
The Archaic Revival: Speculations on Psychedelic Mushrooms, the Amazon, Virtual Reality, UFOs, Evolution, Shamanism, the Rebirth of the Goddess, and the End of History by Terence Mckenna
The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens, and the I Ching by Terence McKenna & Dennis McKenna
Trialogues at the Edge of the West: Chaos, Creativity, and the Resacralization of the World by Ralph Abraham & Terence McKenna & Rupert Sheldrake
via Post
[Note: The post has good descriptions of these books]

Chains of the Sea: Three Original Novellas of Science Fiction by George Alec Effinger & Gardner Dozois & Gordon Eklund

Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon

Breakthrough: The Next Step by Whitley Strieber
via Post

The Universe Beyond the Horizon by Haim Eshed & Hagar Yanay
via Post
[Note: This is only published in Hebrew]

A.D. After Disclosure: When the Government Finally Reveals the Truth About Alien Contact by Richard Dolan & Bryce Zabel
via Post

Science as a Process: An Evolutionary Account of the Social and Conceptual Development of Science (Science and Its Conceptual Foundations series) by David L. Hull
via Post

Spaceships of the Pleiades by Kal K. Korff
via Post

The World of Flying Saucers: A Scientific Examination of a Major Myth of the Space Age by Donald H. Menzel
via Post

The Mothman Prophecies: A True Story by John A. Keel

The Flip: Epiphanies of Mind and the Future of Knowledge by Jeffrey J. Kripal

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson - High Strangeness
VALIS (Valis Trilogy, 1) by Philip K. Dick - Fiction, Sci-Fi, High Strangeness
via Post

The Trickster and the Paranormal by George P Hansen - High Strangeness
The Origins of the World's Mythologies by E.J. Michael Witzel - Mythology
Time and the Other: How Anthropology Makes Its Object by Johannes Fabian
Star.Ships: A Prehistory of the Spirits by Gordon White
via Post

The Ra Contact: Teaching the Law of One: Volume 1 by Don Elkins & Carla L. Rueckert & James Allen McCarty
The Ra Contact: Teaching the Law of One: Volume 2 by Don Elkins & Carla L. Rueckert & James Allen McCarty
via Post - Spiritualism

Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs by Mark Pilkington
via Post

The Super Natural: A New Vision of the Unexplained by Whitley Strieber & Jeffrey J. Kripal
via Post

Why an Afterlife Obviously Exists: A Thought Experiment and Realer Than Real Near-Death Experiences by Jens Amberts
via Post - NDEs

Turning the Mind Into an Ally by Sakyong Mipham
via Post - Spiritualism

The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche
via Post - Spiritualism

Forbidden Science 1: A Passion for Discovery, The Journals of Jacques Vallee 1957-1969 by Jacques Vallee
via Various Posts - Journal

After: A Doctor Explores What Near-Death Experiences Reveal about Life and Beyond by Bruce Greyson M.D.
via Post - NDEs

DIMENSIONS: A Casebook of Alien Contact by Jacques Vallee
via Post

Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens by John E. Mack
via Post - Investigative Journalism, Accounts

Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives by Michael Newton
via Post - NDEs, Spirituality

Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives by Michael Newton
via Post - NDEs, Spirituality

The Greys Have Been Framed: Exploitation in the UFO Community by Jack Brewer
Project Beta: The Story of Paul Bennewitz, National Security, and the Creation of a Modern UFO Myth by Greg Bishop
Mute Evidence by Daniel Kagan & Ian Summers
Ogden Enigma by Gene Snyder - Fiction
Ghost boat by George Simpson & Neal Burger - Fiction
Thin Air by George E. Simpson & Neal R. Burger - Fiction
via Post

-------------------------------------------------------------

Again, if I missed something you like let me know. Likewise if something is mistagged and you've read it let me know what to tag it as. I'll be updating this post in the future.

Pooky has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Aug 23, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
S+ Tier BookPost, Pooky!

Couple of my own contributions (not trying to be egotistic - well, maybe I am, a bit - but it's easier to remember what your own self has posted)

Barry Foster posted:

I'm on holiday and I am absolutely caning my kindle, birdthread!

Also reading

After by Bruce Greyson

Skinwalkers at the Pentagon by Lacatski, Kelleher and Knapp (lol, oh yes)

Barry Foster posted:

Ah but do they have to be?

I used to be in the "good chance ET, probably probes" camp, but reading Vallee really got me questioning

You should read Dimensions, it's really fascinating

I think both After and Dimensions are essential reading for the topics of NDEs and Birds respectively. Kinda quintessential texts on the subjects

EDIT oh man, and how could I forget Abduction?

Barry Foster posted:

Absolutely devoured Abduction by John E. Mack over the weekend

Hachi machi that poo poo's bloodcurdling, + also managed to freak myself by how many of the "signs" of being an abductee I apparently exhibit (aversion to grey imagery and lifelong fear of/fascination with the whole concept, weird sinus issues, randomly bleeding ear, fear of windows/things coming and/or looking through the window at night, fear of the dark, some p.suggestive sleep paralysis episodes, deepset bad/trauma(?) feelings which I can't consciously attribute to anything I remember, etc. :tinfoil:). poo poo's like Doctor Internet, though, since those are obviously extremely nonspecific things

It's interesting how even back then all of the experiencers + Mack himself are totally on board with the interdimensional/non-nuts'n'bolts side of things. It really does a good job of getting across how surreal it apparently is, and just like Vallee, he notes the similarities with shamanistic experiences, visonary experiences, encounters with demons, angels, jinn, fairies, general non-local/semi-material extra-human intelligences, and the like

I dunno what to make of the whole thing, really. The fact that so much of it is based on hypnotic regression (which as far as I know is pretty conclusively bullshit??) isn't great, though

I can't say I'm convinced of Mack's hypothesis that the extreme terror and trauma of being taken from your bed and - essentially - raped by beings with absolute, total power over you is actually a necessary part of the spiritual enlightenment that the beings stress is the reason why they take people, though. He likens it to Zen practices, saying that teaching isn't all a bed of roses, that pain, shock, fear etc. are also valuable tools, especially when the goal is broadening the very horizons of your consciousness, stretching the very limits of your ability to think and experience. Like, the aliens might just be lying when they say they love you and are doing this for your own good, y'know? Like, that's actually probably the safest assumption?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

badass pooky, can we get those edited into the op?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WEH posted:

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

read these paragraphs, what do you think this book will be about

birds

corvids

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

WEH posted:

It'd be best to link the post since it's going to be updated

Barry Foster posted:

Couple of my own contributions (not trying to be egotistic - well, maybe I am, a bit - but it's easier to remember what your own self has posted)

great, ty

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

:trumppop:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

thanks for the list Pooky

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I mean, you clearly are

Just gotta get weh into the fold

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Awesome list, thank for compiling it. Additional titles I'd recommend are:

The Grays Have Been Framed by Jack Brewer, which is inside baseball on ethical boundaries crossed by a MUFON abduction therapist and possible spook connections.
Project Beta by Greg Bishop ,which outlines the Paul Bennewitz saga and Richard Doty's manipulations. (Saucers, Spooks, and Kooks by Adam Gorightly is a slightly updated summary of this history but I didn't take away much more from it than the prior title)
Mute Evidence by Daniel Kagan and Ian Summers, an oldie from the 80s about cattle mutilations which is scrupulously fair to possibilities but finds the UFO/Cattle/proto-Dulce mythos strongly lacking. Contains damning reportage on Leo Sprinkle, abduction hypnotist extraordinaire, and consistent reminders that cops are terrible at their jobs, plus a thorough review of Linda Moulton Howe's Strange Harvest.
The Ogden Enigma by Gene Snyder, a thriller from 1980 concerning a UFO hidden in a hangar at the Dugway proving grounds. Interesting for being written during the cynical post-Watergate era but right before Roswell entered the public imagination as the new "old" location for crashed discs. Namedrops authors George E. Simpson and Neal Burger who cowrote 2 very fine paranormal thrillers together about the Dragon's Triangle off Japan (Ghost Boat) and the Philadelphia Experiment (Thin Air).

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
If anyone's interested I've reviewed more than a few vintage UFO paperbacks here: https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/search/label/ufos

Gods, Demons, and UFO's (sic) by Eric Norman (shared pseudonym between Warren Smith and Brad Steiger, with Smith writing solo here) is a good example of "low" UFO writing from the time, being a recycled melange of von Daniken and everything and the kitchen sink to do with flying saucers, ancient astronauts, and ETs. Available to read at archive dot org with its boring Chariots style reissue cover: https://archive.org/details/gods-demons-and-space-chariots-eric-norman

https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2022/01/gods-demons-and-ufos-by-eric-norman.html

Everything hangs together even with such editing gaffes as Carl Sagan's name consistently misspelled as "Sagen" and ancient astronauts compared to "powerful lizards" ... that's supposed to be wizards! Smith would later recycle his entire chapter on Nebraska highway patrolman Herbert Schirmer's UFO encounter for his UFO Trek and a bit on the "mysterious" origins of the Eskimo for his The Hidden Secrets of the Hollow Earth, both from 1976.

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Oct 17, 2022

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I can’t work out what the red image is. is that a hindu statue?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

missed Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls by Michael Newton

NDE/spirituality

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

toggle posted:

I can’t work out what the red image is. is that a hindu statue?

It's the devil

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

nice job collecting this

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

My partner asked me what the difference between "Woo" and "High Strangeness" is. I didn't have a clear answer for that. I told them generally "Woo" is having some sort of control or ability to use/invoke "High Strangeness".

Anyone got a better definition?

Pooky has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Oct 17, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pooky posted:

My partner asked me what the difference between "Woo" and "High Strangeness" is. I didn't have a clear answer for that. I told them generally "Woo" is having some sort of control or ability to use/invoke "High Strangeness".

Anyone got a better definition?

I've always thought of Woo as being an incredulous belief held by a person who isn't all there. Crystal healing and crap like that. Somebody buying into everything that is out there on the subject with no critical thought or examination of the claims. High strangeness is the experience of the unexplainable. The peak behind the curtain of reality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Woo is the dumb monkey cultural phenomenon that emerges when really stupid people and conmen are exposed to high strangeness

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Woo is necessarily metaphysical-spiritual but High Strangeness isn't.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

woo sounds cooler, like wu-tang, it’s for the children

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Woo is more ephemeral "energy" and "vibrations" and other nonsense easily disproven by highschool physics. High Strangeness is when you see a UFO and then feel like it noticed you and zipped away. It's strange and unexplainable. Woo attempts to explain and understand via magic being real

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a) Woo has way more loaded and negative connotations, and it doesn't seem very fair to pass it off as a word with a fixed meaning outside of "spiritual poo poo I have no frame of reference to appreciate or take seriously", because thats the practical meaning. Insofar as I think it has value as a category, I think "woo" is largely a product of yeah, salesmen and people who lack education trying to interface with and explain the weirdness undergirding reality. It venns with High Strangeness, but isn't completely the same. Some of it is an extension of an irrational explanation of HS phenomena, some of it is snake oil.

b) someone using High Strangeness as the favored term, is them trying to interface and discuss the non-rational, the strange, the out-of-context phenomena that people experience and sometimes have in common, with or without ideology or spirituality informing it. It is an attempt to accept and then interface with weird poo poo in an earnest and uncertain manner. For now, it seems largely to lack the same scam/con parasitism, but that's probably not a long-term tennable situation, and there are definitely grifters in that space, they just tend to have motives that, at least aren't obviously, purely profit-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

PokeJoe posted:

Woo is more ephemeral "energy" and "vibrations" and other nonsense easily disproven by highschool physics. High Strangeness is when you see a UFO and then feel like it noticed you and zipped away. It's strange and unexplainable. Woo attempts to explain and understand via magic being real

Irrespective of what woo is or is not, this is a level of faith in physics that shows a misunderstanding of physics.