Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Drawing the bird looked like it was literally them meeting for the very first time ever to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DurosKlav posted:

I cant shake the impression that Fern doesnt like Dara very much. She just seems pretty cold towards him especially when he's joking around. I dont know if the drawing a bird was the first team task but I dont think they got off on the right foot there.

I think she's just generally awkward with people.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Look at how they meet on that task and she says "hi, nice to meet you" after Alex introduces them to each other. So she clearly has never met him before then. And she acts so loving awkward with him already. It looks like it's just her being her (and needing to pee).

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Paladinus posted:

I think she's just generally awkward with people.

Yeah she talks about having Asperger's in her standup.

My enjoyment of this season is also ramping up. I knew I liked Dara well enough but he's killing it IMO, a really pleasant surprise.

This is also the most I've ever enjoyed Sara - I usually see her as a totally fine filler presence on panel shows but something about Taskmaster's politely restrained antagonism really works for her.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I will say that my initial impression is that Dara isn't the best guy to riff with. Especially in the outtakes, it seems like he just rambles on and on without giving the other contestants a chance to chime in.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hey.

Ooh my baby!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

oh jay posted:

I will say that my initial impression is that Dara isn't the best guy to riff with. Especially in the outtakes, it seems like he just rambles on and on without giving the other contestants a chance to chime in.

To be fair to him, having seen two of his stand up shows live back in the day - that's kind of his thing. I say that in a good way though, so much of his live show is getting an idea from the audience or some random bit of information from one person then just running with it. He's incredibly good and coming up with jokes on the spot for anything and he prides himself on having every live show being quite different from each other because of this.

I think he's doing amazing in the show so far anyway to be honest!

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Tidbit from the podcast ep with John, his original idea for the jaw dropping prize was much more interesting, but got nixed by production.

He was going to bring in a briefcase, which Greg was to open. The briefcase would have a video tablet with a jaw dropping video on it, which Greg would watch and everyone would see his reaction. The jaw dropping video? A "messy anal prolapse".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Undead Hippo posted:

Tidbit from the podcast ep with John, his original idea for the jaw dropping prize was much more interesting, but got nixed by production.

He was going to bring in a briefcase, which Greg was to open. The briefcase would have a video tablet with a jaw dropping video on it, which Greg would watch and everyone would see his reaction. The jaw dropping video? A "messy anal prolapse".

I mean he could've just done that with a video that C4 might actually allow on TV.

https://twitter.com/FernBrady/status/1581582435409883137?t=pWMmyARXNKLst-H59nG2WQ&s=19

I feel like she's gonna get a lot of scrutiny and side eye over the course of this series.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
TBH I just thought the skirt tugging was because she's been wearing really short skirts and was afraid she was showing off her muff.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

This is also the most I've ever enjoyed Sara - I usually see her as a totally fine filler presence on panel shows but something about Taskmaster's politely restrained antagonism really works for her.

She really suits the format: her style of very sweetly voiced passive aggression is perfect. ("I didn't ask for an opinion, just a time frame", or "Oh, for children" when Munya talked about his PS5)

I hope she gets to really unleash that disguised acidity on Alex at some point.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/FernBrady/status/1581594381412278272
https://twitter.com/FernBrady/status/1581279067093225474

she's got a good twitter

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

stev posted:

I mean he could've just done that with a video that C4 might actually allow on TV.

The idea was to not show the video to the viewing audience at all.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Fern was answering viewer questions about TM on instagram and we agree on something

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Limmy will never ever do any telly again. I still occasionally watch clips from his streams, and I don't think his comedic stylings would be a good fit for TM anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paladinus posted:

Limmy will never ever do any telly again. I still occasionally watch clips from his streams, and I don't think his comedic stylings would be a good fit for TM anyway.

Yeah I love Limmy but I don't think he'd be comfortable on TM at all. You don't really see him interacting with other comedians directly other than stuff like RHLTSP and that IT Crowd appearance.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

stev posted:

Yeah I love Limmy but I don't think he'd be comfortable on TM at all. You don't really see him interacting with other comedians directly other than stuff like RHLTSP and that IT Crowd appearance.

I was randomly watching Limmy's stream the other night and couldn't believe its taken me this long to realize that he's the bloody window cleaner in IT Crowd.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Aphex- posted:

To be fair to him, having seen two of his stand up shows live back in the day - that's kind of his thing. I say that in a good way though, so much of his live show is getting an idea from the audience or some random bit of information from one person then just running with it. He's incredibly good and coming up with jokes on the spot for anything and he prides himself on having every live show being quite different from each other because of this.

I think he's doing amazing in the show so far anyway to be honest!

Exactly this - I've enjoyed his free riffing and improvisational skills in his solo show, but he usually doesn't know when or how to moderate it on panel shows, to the point of me shouting "Shut the gently caress up!" at his overdone stuff on Mock the Week, etc. That said, he's been pretty good here so far. Not sure if someone has had a word, or he's just aware of Fern sitting next to him & giving him the side-eye like "what the gently caress are you on about, pal?"

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Glad I read through the thread and saw all those NZ Taskmaster grows on you posts. I couldn't get through the first episode last time but it really does get a lot better (and/or you get used to the people) in just a few episodes. Especially the Alex equivalent, he seemed super dire the first time I saw him but he's not that bad at all now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Season 2 of TMNZ is a work of art

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I can't find TMNZ S2E2 though. :(

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just watching the second episode of TM Quebec: There's an eat an egg fast task and it ends being one of those legendary moments in TM.

lives up to the hype lol

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Phigs posted:

I can't find TMNZ S2E2 though. :(

There used to be a wiki on Reddit that had links to most of the episodes for all the variants. I'm sure you can find it through googling.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Bertha the Toaster posted:

There used to be a wiki on Reddit that had links to most of the episodes for all the variants. I'm sure you can find it through googling.

:cheers:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I think Paul outdoes Alex as the assistant, by the slimmest of hairs. Obviously Alex brings more overall what with being the designer of the majority of the tasks too and having come up with the format as a whole, but Paul has this slight air of sadness that fits the assistant role. I think it's his intonation; he ends sentences with a lower intonation than average and it just rounds out the character so well.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sighence posted:

I think Paul outdoes Alex as the assistant, by the slimmest of hairs. Obviously Alex brings more overall what with being the designer of the majority of the tasks too and having come up with the format as a whole, but Paul has this slight air of sadness that fits the assistant role. I think it's his intonation; he ends sentences with a lower intonation than average and it just rounds out the character so well.

Paul is too handsome and young, Alex looks like he's been Greg's assistant his entire life, and you can tell it's a gruelling job.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Paul looks like he’s in hell. Like, it’s literally his punishment to be there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sighence posted:

Paul is a sadboy while Alex is an enthusiastic simp.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Paul is a sadboy while Alex is an enthusiastic simp.

this video is enough to explain all the differences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcqO8-uLxiw

i genuinely want paul to release more music

edit: wait that's chris parker lmao i did not recognize him with hair

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 20, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The studio banter from the UK team is worlds better than the NZ team is the big one. When I first saw the NZ crew in the studio I thought it was pretty dire. Then Paul got to the point where he was fine in the studio, but it was in the tasks where he really grew on me. I might even agree he's better in-task than Alex. But Alex wipes the floor with him when it comes to the studio, though to be fair his and Greg's exact personas would make it a lot easier. Paul and Jeremy's are a bit too rigid and impersonal to make for great banter. I hope they loosen up a bit more as they make more seasons.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Embodying the archetype definitely takes time. Series, say, 1-7 Alex is fundamentally different from modern Alex, even putting aside Greg's high pitched cry of Little Alex Horne.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I can't get into TMNZ because I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Wells. He's a news/current affairs person here and lacks the "angry teacher energy" that Greg has (and absolutely no where near as funny with the banter either.)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
even his comedic stuff is v dry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtTReyA4O7o

i feel like he's been playing it too nice, he's good at being mean

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

I can't get into TMNZ because I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Wells. He's a news/current affairs person here and lacks the "angry teacher energy" that Greg has (and absolutely no where near as funny with the banter either.)

I don't hate Wells as taskmaster but he's definitely the weakest part of the whole show.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

thehustler posted:

can someone answer my Q from before? I’m very confused with the sand task about all the cutting to a wide and not seeing the camera that was obviously *right next to them*

Edit: I’ve shot and edited video before professionally so I can’t watch TV the same way other folk do

my first guess is editing trickery because the close shot cut away really abruptly, which i would assume is to cover something. if it's not that, i imagine they picked up a quick shot of them running around the corner after the task was over. i need to rewatch it, i definitely noticed it the first time but it went by so quick i couldn't tell for sure.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dragonstoned posted:

He's not though; Eating Media Lunch, ACC, his radio stuff...he's smart and genuinely funny but for whatever reason on TM he's just on cheque-cashing autopilot. ACC is all off-the-cuff banter too so it's not like the format just doesn't suit him.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Outside if the occasional annoying scoring, Jeremy is just bland. While it would improve the series if it had a better TM, I don't understand how that translates in to not enjoying the series. All the excellent tasks, and all the in-studio stuff between the contestants and Paul.

Occasional browsing r/taskmaster, I do notice a tiny minority of people who seem so emotional attachment to the OG they get affronted by be the existence of the spinoffs and refuse to consider the possibility of them being worthwhile. Especially in the early days when it meant Taskmaster USA. The success of Kongen Baelfel, TM NZ, etc seem to have quitened them down.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Outside if the occasional annoying scoring, Jeremy is just bland. While it would improve the series if it had a better TM, I don't understand how that translates in to not enjoying the series. All the excellent tasks, and all the in-studio stuff between the contestants and Paul.

Occasional browsing r/taskmaster, I do notice a tiny minority of people who seem so emotional attachment to the OG they get affronted by be the existence of the spinoffs and refuse to consider the possibility of them being worthwhile. Especially in the early days when it meant Taskmaster USA. The success of Kongen Baelfel, TM NZ, etc seem to have quitened them down.

Everything everyone has said about Jeremy is totally valid IMO.

He's got nothing on Atle from Kongen Befaler - I think Atle rivals Greg for a quality host. I feel like Louis from Maitre De Jeu has a pretty similar vibe to Jeremy but it might just be that he is way too small for his throne.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Josh's trick or treat task in S3E10 of NZ had me laughing until it hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That was a great episode. Good to see the Knappett back in action!