Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Annointed posted:

Trying not to lose hope or get frustrated by the lack of people giving me a job. I'm just stuck with this and trying to finish up school. Gods I hate how they all keep saying "doesn't work with your school schedule."

Are you full time or part time?
Part time is manageable (2 grad-level courses/semester). Anything more than that and you will be exhausted.

On the other hand... we're short qualified people. Oy vey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Audax posted:

Are you full time or part time?
Part time is manageable (2 grad-level courses/semester). Anything more than that and you will be exhausted.

Part time since still have last semester of school. I got lucky with a new job offer with contract to possible full time. And just finished a firm tour.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
what if we replaced all dollar value based reporting with time units and started measuring the amount of time lost due to traditionally externalised costs

i.e.

Dr Environmental Expense 1,000,000 years
Cr Environmental Liability 1,000,000 years
(Recognise environmental damage - deforesting new plant location)

Dr Environmental Liability 1 hour
Cr Environmental Recovery 1 hour
(Planted 1000 trees at ~16.667 tress per minute)

Dr Environmental Asset Estimates 8 years
Cr Environmental Recovery Estimates 8 years
(Annual Time Recovered - Amounts planted * est survival rate * growth rate [1000 * .8 * .01] )

EOFY
measurements taken, adjust balance of estimated assets net off with liabilities

Cr Environmental Asset Estimates 8 years
Dr Environmental Recovery Asset 7 years
Dr Environmental Recovery 1 year
(surivival rate & growth rate below expectations)

Net Environment Liability 992,999 years 363.25 days and 23 hours

Annual Accounts Chief Environmental Officer Report:

quote:

Managements forward looking estimates on the impact of our environmental viability are positive as we expect the surviving trees to continue to reduce our liability on in full with no further losses.

You could even add in some present and future value fuckery just to make things even more exciting and sexy and it might take AI a while to take those jobs stocktaking and measuring trees!

Plus it would be great to see how many billions of years oil companies are in the negative

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

what if we replaced all dollar value based reporting with time units and started measuring the amount of time lost due to traditionally externalised costs

i.e.

Dr Environmental Expense 1,000,000 years
Cr Environmental Liability 1,000,000 years
(Recognise environmental damage - deforesting new plant location)

Dr Environmental Liability 1 hour
Cr Environmental Recovery 1 hour
(Planted 1000 trees at ~16.667 tress per minute)

Dr Environmental Asset Estimates 8 years
Cr Environmental Recovery Estimates 8 years
(Annual Time Recovered - Amounts planted * est survival rate * growth rate [1000 * .8 * .01] )

EOFY
measurements taken, adjust balance of estimated assets net off with liabilities

Cr Environmental Asset Estimates 8 years
Dr Environmental Recovery Asset 7 years
Dr Environmental Recovery 1 year
(surivival rate & growth rate below expectations)

Net Environment Liability 992,999 years 363.25 days and 23 hours

Annual Accounts Chief Environmental Officer Report:

You could even add in some present and future value fuckery just to make things even more exciting and sexy and it might take AI a while to take those jobs stocktaking and measuring trees!

Plus it would be great to see how many billions of years oil companies are in the negative

No

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

"hello id like to purchase this orange with twenty two minutes of tree planting"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Today, I had some free time so I decided to calculate the amount of time I work now versus my old job and the results kind of shocked me.

I'll spare you the spreadsheet and say -- even with rhe 20 vacation/sick days and 10 holidays -- I still worked an average of 2,095 hours a year at my public job and spent 532 hours commuting every year. I had better benefits but was only making 60k. At my new industry job, if I take all my vacation and sick days, I work only 1,904 hours and commute only 260 hours a year. My commute will lower to about 130 hours a year in January when we switch offices.

That is a 463 annual reduction in hours dedicated to work. That is about 19-20 full, 24 hour days less of time dedicated to work and work related activities. And I am making 50% more in salary. It's honestly kind of astounding. I never realized that, even if 30 days off a year, I was still working over 2,080 a year. 2,080 is what you work if you work 40 hours every week without break.

It really does help explain why I am recently so consistently surprised how early it is when I am at home. I keep thinking its later because I would be working still.

It's really going to hit me in March, for sure. When it's St Patrick's day and I can go out drinking because I have Saturday off, it's really going to dawn on me. I really hope I keep this gig. Two of the bosses are a little rough but it's been pretty good so far.

And despite all the reduction in work hours, I got a 50% raise. Honestly, the only big hits so far is that the bosses are a little rude and that they don't provide vision or dental. That last one surprised me but their health insurance is actually better than my old one and covers more with a much lower deductible. So, give and take, I guess. And my 401k is kicking in soon.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Covok posted:

Today, I had some free time so I decided to calculate the amount of time I work now versus my old job and the results kind of shocked me.

I'll spare you the spreadsheet and say -- even with rhe 20 vacation/sick days and 10 holidays -- I still worked an average of 2,095 hours a year at my public job and spent 532 hours commuting every year. I had better benefits but was only making 60k. At my new industry job, if I take all my vacation and sick days, I work only 1,904 hours and commute only 260 hours a year. My commute will lower to about 130 hours a year in January when we switch offices.

That is a 463 annual reduction in hours dedicated to work. That is about 19-20 full, 24 hour days less of time dedicated to work and work related activities. And I am making 50% more in salary. It's honestly kind of astounding. I never realized that, even if 30 days off a year, I was still working over 2,080 a year. 2,080 is what you work if you work 40 hours every week without break.

It really does help explain why I am recently so consistently surprised how early it is when I am at home. I keep thinking its later because I would be working still.

It's really going to hit me in March, for sure. When it's St Patrick's day and I can go out drinking because I have Saturday off, it's really going to dawn on me. I really hope I keep this gig. Two of the bosses are a little rough but it's been pretty good so far.

And despite all the reduction in work hours, I got a 50% raise. Honestly, the only big hits so far is that the bosses are a little rude and that they don't provide vision or dental. That last one surprised me but their health insurance is actually better than my old one and covers more with a much lower deductible. So, give and take, I guess. And my 401k is kicking in soon.

Sorry you’re gonna need to convert this to trees thx

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I GOT HIRED. I START TUESDAY.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Annointed posted:

I GOT HIRED. I START TUESDAY.

Congratulations! That's awesome! What kind of gig? Public? Industry?

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Congrats on the job!

Edit: In my personal experience, I felt like landing the first accounting job was the worst and everything was smooth sailing after having experience under the belt. You'll probably be a lot less stressed out for future opportunities if they do or don't go through.

Eigo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 12, 2022

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

congrats!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"Yes please give be ACCRUED INCOME. Please give me CONSOLIDATED INTANGIBLES" - Statements dreamed up by the utterly Deranged

LOOK what Accountants have been demanding your Respect for all this time, with all the Excel and abacus we built for them

(This is REAL accountancy done by REAL accountants).

black.lion posted:

"hello id like to purchase this orange with twenty two minutes of tree planting"

They have played us for absolute fools

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Covok posted:

Congratulations! That's awesome! What kind of gig? Public? Industry?

Eigo posted:

Congrats on the job!

Edit: In my personal experience, I felt like landing the first accounting job was the worst and everything was smooth sailing after having experience under the belt. You'll probably be a lot less stressed out for future opportunities if they do or don't go through.

It's a part time contractor job in the private industry. If I am lucky I can get full time by the time I graduate and work with this group expanding into the US branches.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Annointed posted:

It's a part time contractor job in the private industry. If I am lucky I can get full time by the time I graduate and work with this group expanding into the US branches.

If everything goes well not only will you have a job getting you through college, but you'll have one leaving it -- awesome!

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
planting trees in exchange for goods and services sounds like you're just cutting out the middle man of dollars to me.

accountants just don't want to work anymore, clearly.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So many invoices to document and send and process. How do you all manage to do it and call it boring and easy?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Strategic Tea posted:

"Yes please give be ACCRUED INCOME. Please give me CONSOLIDATED INTANGIBLES" - Statements dreamed up by the utterly Deranged

LOOK what Accountants have been demanding your Respect for all this time, with all the Excel and abacus we built for them

(This is REAL accountancy done by REAL accountants).

They have played us for absolute fools

:haibrower:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

So many invoices to document and send and process. How do you all manage to do it and call it boring and easy?

Most of us didn’t process many invoices outside of maybe our first internship or college job I’d imagine. Most CPAs in private industry are at a level where they might help with stuff like capex/opex split allocations on complex invoices or approve invoices over a certain amount that had already been allocated, but not much else. That’s usually more AR/AP work

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Barely finished the several days' worth of invoices and receipts processing before the end of my shift.

drat that was a start to official accounting. Though I can already tell I probably hosed up a ton.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Barely finished the several days' worth of invoices and receipts processing before the end of my shift.

drat that was a start to official accounting. Though I can already tell I probably hosed up a ton.

If they don’t have someone reviewing the work of a first week accountant then that’s on them

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Good Citizen posted:

If they don’t have someone reviewing the work of a first week accountant then that’s on them

It's cool he'll just have to make a bunch of journal entries to fix the errors.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

It's cool he'll just have to make a bunch of journal entries to fix the errors.

Best part is that if you make enough corrections nobody can make sense of it and the auditors just take your word that you finally got it right. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s only partly a joke….

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MrAmazing posted:

Best part is that if you make enough corrections nobody can make sense of it and the auditors just take your word that you finally got it right. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s only partly a joke….

The federal audit clearinghouse deadline is the 30th and we’re just turned in a revised TB for fy 21 and we have like 32 million in debits and credits for a federal grant of about a combined 8 million in expenses.

Good loving luck.

I’m fully expecting at least a material weakness.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Good Citizen posted:

One of my coworkers who briefly became a partner (the main partner I work for was hoping to retire and he's the only other non-partner CPA in the office) was in charge of hiring a co-op student last tax season and training him because we needed someone. Sporadically over the last year or so, my main boss kept asking, "Who worked on this last?" and the coworker had to keep responding that it was the student.

It wasn't a good look given that he's the one who was taking on more responsibility as a partner. I can't remember if this was before or after the partnership was rescinded (they told me it was "mutual", and I believe that), but it's something I'll never forget if I'm ever in a role with subordinates.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well tomorrow onto the new office of the same job. Hope that with the manager here from overseas I can get some training. I hope I can do enough to impress and do decent. Or at least not make enough mistake to get fired. I really wanna make things right.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Audax posted:

Follow up to me venting about us losing people. It's been busy, and I just got a promotion and 50% raise as a show of appreciation. :fap:

The promotion was expected. The raise... Not so much.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Nice!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Trying to collect the main account invoices to start closing the September Accounts. Oh gods everything is so disorganized from the move.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Trying to collect the main account invoices to start closing the September Accounts. Oh gods everything is so disorganized from the move.

It’s in internship, relax and learn what you can. You’re supposed to be poo poo

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

It’s in internship, relax and learn what you can. You’re supposed to be poo poo

This but replace internship with "staff"

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I have two more semesters after this one left I believe, so two summers. I haven't been able to look for an internship this semester because frankly I've been in a huge funk mentally and passing my classes has used up all of my powers. Not to mention i don't have any interview clothes that fit right now on account of being a big gal and then gaining some weight last year.

Am I like, screwed for being able to get a job if I can't nail down an internship? My ideal path is working for the IRS or any other govt agency with a good union doing accounting rather than entering the private sector or getting a CPA.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Nea posted:

I have two more semesters after this one left I believe, so two summers. I haven't been able to look for an internship this semester because frankly I've been in a huge funk mentally and passing my classes has used up all of my powers. Not to mention i don't have any interview clothes that fit right now on account of being a big gal and then gaining some weight last year.

Am I like, screwed for being able to get a job if I can't nail down an internship? My ideal path is working for the IRS or any other govt agency with a good union doing accounting rather than entering the private sector or getting a CPA.

I think it’s really hard to screw yourself out of an accounting career right out of school unless you are gunning for a specific position at a national level firm or like a finance development program at a F500, but that doesn’t sound like the case. You might have to hustle a bit to get your foot in the door somewhere, but you won’t be screwed.

If you’re interested in the IRS you should really check out the federal employment / USA jobs thread here. It’s a great resource. Federal hiring can be unpredictable, putting it nicely. That said, the IRS just got a bunch of funding and is expecting to hire a lot.

Even if you actively don’t want to be a CPA, you could still look for positions in public accounting and possibly get your EA credential. This could be a means to an end as far as getting on the revenue agent ladder with the IRS and also hedges the risk that the federal hiring process doesn’t work out right out of school.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Thanks. I'm glad, i was honestly pretty worried. My goal is like: I want to make Enough Money, and never work overtime if i can help it. So like, the big firm hustle is unappealing to me, i just want to like, have a job somewhere you know?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good news I can fix my mistakes next morning. Bad news including lunch I just did a 10 to 7 with most of it trying to sort through months of invoices. At least it's all organized Alphabetically.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
Man, having bad finance partners in industry can really suck. I cover seven plants as an accounting manager with what's effectively a three day close and the finance manager for three of my locations expects everything to be done by the third workday mid day. I've never worked with a finance partner who just refuses to do his job and forecast during close with what's available. Even if I give an estimate, he then follows up and wants to know when it'll be final which ultimately just eats more time to waste explaining.

Worst yet, when he does finds variances he'll just shotgun the question to five people with no one specifically called out - at least make an effort to start with someone in the chain so five people aren't looking at the same thing.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Eigo posted:

Man, having bad finance partners in industry can really suck. I cover seven plants as an accounting manager with what's effectively a three day close and the finance manager for three of my locations expects everything to be done by the third workday mid day. I've never worked with a finance partner who just refuses to do his job and forecast during close with what's available. Even if I give an estimate, he then follows up and wants to know when it'll be final which ultimately just eats more time to waste explaining.

Worst yet, when he does finds variances he'll just shotgun the question to five people with no one specifically called out - at least make an effort to start with someone in the chain so five people aren't looking at the same thing.

Wow that is absolutely unreasonable deadline and unreasonable financial partners. Like holy hell mate how do you even get anything done with people like that?

EDIT: DANG IT I KEEP GETTING MORE INVOICES. I think I'm done correcting my work to send to my supervisor and then there's more stuff that was missing from the statement of accounts. I been working 8 hours a week part time and it never ends.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yay got past petty cash and debit accounts for last month 20 days later.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Has anyone done the CPA program in Canada? I'm just looking on a gauge on the difficulty of the program versus the CFA exams

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

italian quid posted:

Has anyone done the CPA program in Canada? I'm just looking on a gauge on the difficulty of the program versus the CFA exams

I can’t compare to the CFA program, as I haven’t done it. That said, it’s not hard - it’s just a ton of work with the modules. It’s worse if you’re in public practice at the same time.

My old firms experience was that if you had 75% or higher in your accounting program you would generally do fine on the CPA program.

The main exceptions to this were test anxiety issues or people who struggled to understand that it’s not a university exam and you need to practice writing for the case, not just regurgitating information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Was able to finish invoices on time. Would it be beneficial to get my bosses to use quickbooks instead of excel? They seem old school and only seem to use excel files and hand held basic calculators.

My professors say using mainly excel is quite inefficient and costly, but not sure if bosses would want to pay money on something like official accounting software.