Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rebel Blob posted:

Herschel Walker flashed a fake police badge at his debate.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1581071214121885696

So does this count as impersonating an officer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bird in a Blender posted:

So does this count as impersonating an officer?
I mean you would think so

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mustard Iceman posted:

does SNL have two people that can make this sketch or does Kenan Thompson have to run back and forth on-stage?

Of note: Walker also said that he was against insulin price caps because people with diabetes should just eat healthier.

They got a black guy to replace Chris Redd

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Mustard Iceman posted:

does SNL have two people that can make this sketch or does Kenan Thompson have to run back and forth on-stage?

Of note: Walker also said that he was against insulin price caps because people with diabetes should just eat healthier.

Lol, SNL had a dude in blackface play Obama. We're lucky if they just have Kenan play both roles instead of going back to that well, honestly.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I get to work the election this year! Been trying to for a couple of years and the stars have never aligned but I’ll be a Support Judge (greeting/line-length-counting/sticker-handing-outing/assisting with setup and answering questions/misc) this year. I’m excited!

Lol to make this more current-events-relevant, apparently a decent chunk of my in-person training will be about reporting electioneering and de-escalation techniques.

The longest video of the online training has been on how to not blow yourself up while lighting the propane heater if you’re at a drive-up tent.

Riven fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 15, 2022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Of all the current issues that are going on, "the election officals can accidently blew themselves up" was NOT something on my election shenanigans bingo card.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Riven posted:

I get to work the election this year! Been trying to for a couple of years and the stars have never aligned but I’ll be a Support Judge (greeting/line-length-counting/sticker-handing-outing/assisting with setup and answering questions/misc) this year. I’m excited!

Lol to make this more current-events-relevant, apparently a decent chunk of my in-person training will be about reporting electioneering and de-escalation techniques.

The longest video of the online training has been on how to not blow yourself up while lighting the propane heater if you’re at a drive-up tent.

Might make for a cool "Ask/Tell" thread.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Might make for a cool "Ask/Tell" thread.

Nice, yeah I think I’ll start one AFTER the election as I’ll probably have a lot more to say after that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Local politics disrupted by accusations of voter fraud because someone detonated the polling location and evaporated all the votes.

Good luck, I ran the poll book (checking IDs and handing out ballots) for the primary and the worst we got was a guy screaming about not being able to vote cross party during the primary, hoping that it is relatively quiet during the November election. Make sure you wear a mask to avoid covid but also so people don't know your face lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mendrian posted:

You've just described every neighborhood in Seattle!

But especially Ballard.

It's kinda sad, the only real historical record of the Ballard area are from Almost Live skits.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's kinda sad, the only real historical record of the Ballard area are from Almost Live skits.

And with good reason too...

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyz6mkvlEgA

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Oh god I haven’t thought about Almost Live in like 30 years. Thanks, I guess?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm not looking forward to whatever happens after the next round of elections. Some of these maniacs are going to win, and the rest will take to the media platforms to spend the rest of their days screaming that their election was rigged, provoking even more chaos.

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1581640114018533377?s=20&t=icV9m1CvdSKWmFjUdfsozg

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1581642013488738306?s=20&t=icV9m1CvdSKWmFjUdfsozg

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm not looking forward to whatever happens after the next round of elections. Some of these maniacs are going to win, and the rest will take to the media platforms to spend the rest of their days screaming that their election was rigged, provoking even more chaos.

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1581640114018533377?s=20&t=icV9m1CvdSKWmFjUdfsozg

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1581642013488738306?s=20&t=icV9m1CvdSKWmFjUdfsozg

I mean, rhetorically this is smart politics. Answer the question you wished they asked, and deny the press any credibility as a watchdog or overseer. Now, to be fair, the press has by and large abrogated that duty on their own say-so, but nobody’s going to complain about a politician being mean to a reporter, the Gianforte Insight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

selec posted:

I mean, rhetorically this is smart politics. Answer the question you wished they asked, and deny the press any credibility as a watchdog or overseer. Now, to be fair, the press has by and large abrogated that duty on their own say-so, but nobody’s going to complain about a politician being mean to a reporter, the Gianforte Insight.

It's unpleasant to see but I really can't argue with giving the press the respect it deserves.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know what to make of this but get ready for $185/lb snow crab prices. I mean...not that I can afford it anyway but...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/16/us/alaska-snow-crab-harvest-canceled-climate/index.html

Billions of snow crabs have disappeared from the waters around Alaska. Scientists say overfishing is not the cause

quote:

The Alaska snow crab harvest has been canceled for the first time ever after billions of the crustaceans have disappeared from the cold, treacherous waters of the Bering Sea in recent years.

The Alaska Board of Fisheries and North Pacific Fishery Management Council announced last week that the population of snow crab in the Bering Sea fell below the regulatory threshold to open up the fishery.

But the actual numbers behind that decision are shocking: The snow crab population shrank from around 8 billion in 2018 to 1 billion in 2021, according to Benjamin Daly, a researcher with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

“Snow crab is by far the most abundant of all the Bering Sea crab species that is caught commercially,” Daly told CNN. “So the shock and awe of many billions missing from the population is worth noting – and that includes all the females and babies.”

The Bristol Bay red king crab harvest will also be closed for the second year in a row, the agencies announced.

Officials cited overfishing as their rationale for canceling the seasons. Mark Stichert, the groundfish and shellfish fisheries management coordinator with the state’s fish and game department, said that more crab were being fished out of the oceans than could be naturally replaced.

But calling the Bering Sea crab population “overfished” – a technical definition that triggers conservation measures – says nothing about the cause of its collapse.

“We call it overfishing because of the size level,” Michael Litzow, the Kodiak lab director for NOAA Fisheries, told CNN. “But it wasn’t overfishing that caused the collapse, that much is clear.”

Litzow says human-caused climate change is a significant factor in the crabs’ alarming disappearance.

Maybe once rich people can no longer eat crab and lobster they'll do something about temperature rise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snow crab is by far the worst of those kinds of crabs in terms of what you get out of it. Dungeness crab is the best for that, IMO

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Can't afford that either so will take your word for it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

We will likely look back at these catastrophic die offs and wonder how we could be so casual about them, and the answer will be there was no money in caring, and if it doesn’t earn we don’t care. It’s another little brick on the road to the living envying the dead.

I’m sure it’s not part of a food chain outside of rich people though, probably not an issue!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

selec posted:

We will likely look back at these catastrophic die offs and wonder how we could be so casual about them, and the answer will be there was no money in caring, and if it doesn’t earn we don’t care. It’s another little brick on the road to the living envying the dead.

I’m sure it’s not part of a food chain outside of rich people though, probably not an issue!

Living through is 6th mass extinction really blows.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/13/almost-70-of-animal-populations-wiped-out-since-1970-report-reveals-aoe

the guardian posted:

Earth’s wildlife populations have plunged by an average of 69% in just under 50 years, according to a leading scientific assessment, as humans continue to clear forests, consume beyond the limits of the planet and pollute on an industrial scale.

From the open ocean to tropical rainforests, the abundance of birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles is in freefall, declining on average by more than two-thirds between 1970 and 2018, according to the WWF and Zoological Society of London’s (ZSL) biennial Living Planet Report. Two years ago, the figure stood at 68%, four years ago, it was at 60%.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

selec posted:

Well, pretty much. Four or five crops feed the whole planet. Menus will change and people will become more accustomed to eating the fish that grow in the new niches.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is the one time that number is not nice

selec
Sep 6, 2003

So are we gonna invade Haiti? Seems kinda likely.

Should we? No, we are the protection racket who keeps taking all their money and beating the poo poo out of them.

https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1581075134722588672?s=46&t=KpPg-xhe8av_04-paGTfrA

Impossible to take this demon country seriously when it talks about Ukrainian sovereignty and does poo poo like this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well, pretty much. Four or five crops feed the whole planet. Menus will change and people will become more accustomed to eating the fish that grow in the new niches.

That reminded me and I haven't thought about it an a while but even if we move more and more to a vegetable based diet and eat less meat, don't we have an issue with pollination and what not because all the bees are dying as well?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

That reminded me and I haven't thought about it an a while but even if we move more and more to a vegetable based diet and eat less meat, don't we have an issue with pollination and what not because all the bees are dying as well?

Yeah turns out all these complex systems we barely understand are connected and “harmless” changes to the complex system we don’t understand will etc etc,…, envy the dead.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty sure most states try to train poll workers literally up to the evening before inperson voting, please try to be a poll worker so a chud doesnt get in.

its mostly sitting at a table and checking a list.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think they were talking more about the other sea critters that might munch on em.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/alaska-snow-crab#overview posted:

Seals, sea otters, octopi, other crabs, and a wide variety of fish prey on Alaska snow crabs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

BiggerBoat posted:

ain't going to say you should read the two climate threads, because anyone who values happiness shouldn't, but you should read the two climate threads

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

Should we? No, we are the protection racket who keeps taking all their money and beating the poo poo out of them.

https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1581075134722588672?s=46&t=KpPg-xhe8av_04-paGTfrA

Impossible to take this demon country seriously when it talks about Ukrainian sovereignty and does poo poo like this.

The U.N., Haiti, and 93 other countries asked for this. It's not a violation of sovereignty.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah Haiti was even asking Canada for troops. It's not the US being the US on this one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If anything I feel the Biden administration is actually reluctant to send troops out. Which is an odd but nice change.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0uZ9mfOUI

the standard edgy lib *takes off glasses* take is that it's already too late. why should anyone care?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know what to make of this but get ready for $185/lb snow crab prices. I mean...not that I can afford it anyway but...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/16/us/alaska-snow-crab-harvest-canceled-climate/index.html

Billions of snow crabs have disappeared from the waters around Alaska. Scientists say overfishing is not the cause

Maybe once rich people can no longer eat crab and lobster they'll do something about temperature rise.

I'm sorry but the use of the phrase "shock and awe" is what really leaps out to me here

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The U.N., Haiti, and 93 other countries asked for this. It's not a violation of sovereignty.

“No, the staggeringly unpopular guy people are in the streets protesting asked us to prop him up, this so totally not like the US propping up dictators and strongmen.”

I am disgusted but not surprised that people would take this stance.

How many Haitians do you think need to oppose him before we should stay out of it?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

selec posted:

When using a source, please be very clear what is something the source explicitly says and what is its implication, consequences, or otherwise your argument based on it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koos Group posted:

When using a source, please be very clear what is something the source explicitly says and what is its implication, consequences, or otherwise your argument based on it.

Would it be appropriate to post a short history of the ongoing US efforts that have hosed Haiti over to give the thread context? Because it’s pretty bad, I don’t see it being a popular point of discussion so I wanna know if it l’s 1. Allowable and 2. Worth the effort

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
At the very least, I think a summary of the current situation in specific wouldn't go amiss. I've been halfway following it and still don't have a good grasp of where (say) public opinion in Haiti is, and presumably some other people here are less familiar.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

selec posted:

Would it be appropriate to post a short history of the ongoing US efforts that have hosed Haiti over to give the thread context? Because it’s pretty bad, I don’t see it being a popular point of discussion so I wanna know if it l’s 1. Allowable and 2. Worth the effort

I would welcome it. My sense from afar is that the situation has deteriorated enough that there's at least some support for intervention among Haitians but idk if that impression is just manufactured consent. The track record for interventions have been awful, though there's some difference between like deposing Aristide and whatever this would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

At the very least, I think a summary of the current situation in specific wouldn't go amiss. I've been halfway following it and still don't have a good grasp of where (say) public opinion in Haiti is, and presumably some other people here are less familiar.

Well, I think you can summarize it pretty well in about two articles.

Before the possibility of intervention was broached, note the sympathetic tone and concern for Haitians was present in the coverage, and while gang violence is mentioned, there isn’t conflation of protestors with gangs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/16/haiti-protests-fuel-ariel-henry/

Now, just a month later, when protests are ongoing, how is this being framed;
“Powerful gangs are destabilizing the country” lmao, no, you had it right first WaPo, inflation is destabilizing the country:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/15/haiti-biden-un-security-resolution/

“The United States has long been reluctant to deploy military forces in Haiti” is a blatant lie for any reasonable understanding of “long” by individuals who are not dogs. That’s some real loving consent manufacturing being done when that is stated outright as a fact.

We stole the entire legitimate wealth of the nation-state within my lifetime, which hasn’t been so long.

selec fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 16, 2022