Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I guess a keyboard would make sense, but it's not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Feldegast42 posted:

Nobody can. Its been downhill since Tennis for Two(1958)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I guess a keyboard would make sense, but it's not the same.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There's the PC version for people, but I get the impression this will be a horribly optimized game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I said come in! posted:

There's the PC version for people, but I get the impression this will be a horribly optimized game.

i get the impression it will be a horrible game generally

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i get the impression it will be a horrible game generally

Yeah I was also saying that yesterday too. I removed it from my wishlist on Steam because from everything i've seen in general it just doesn't look that good.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

WB is probably going to fold as a game publisher soon, huh?
guess they'll be bought out by Microsoft or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They've elaborated and said the reason is so that it can run on the Series S.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

They tried to sell WBi off a couple years ago but no one really bit since obviously it wouldn't include most of the IP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Arkham series just started off super strong and got steadily worse, so this isn't really any different

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

They should have sold their video game I.P.'s a few years ago after all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can video game I.P.s be tax write offs like cartoons and be forever lost to time?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, companies can maintain their IP indefinitely if they want to.

Does WB games own any video game-only IPs? I figured they were more like Disney in that video games are just lesser products they have condescended to allow to take advantage of some of their movie IPs. Like, if anyone acquires WB Games, they won't get Batman or Harry Potter, they'll just get a bunch of game studios.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think potentially, but it wouldn't be the same as writing off a single television show. It seems like the game division is like one of the only parts of it being left alone for now. I suspect since the new CEO wants to heavily rely on the IP, the game publisher might be seen as a good investment to leverage that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mutata posted:

Does WB games own any video game-only IPs? I figured they were more like Disney in that video games are just lesser products they have condescended to allow to take advantage of some of their movie IPs. Like, if anyone acquires WB Games, they won't get Batman or Harry Potter, they'll just get a bunch of game studios.

The ones I can think of offhand are Mortal Kombat and Scribblenauts, but yeah it's mostly licensed.

Oh, I guess they also own like a bunch of miscellaneous Midway stuff like Tapper and all those arcade games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

Mortal Kombat is the big one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And honestly, for that, you'd only need to buy NRS, don't need to bother with the rest.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We would lose the Injustice series if NRS split off. :sigh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But then we could get the Marvel game people really want them to do

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

But then we could get the Marvel game people really want them to do

okay I accept this sacrifice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1581692094350913537?t=5XXwJObVCG48NMWSFCAcBw&s=19

Jesus, he deactivated.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder if Twitter got him or if he did it himself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's 1 frame for every person interested in the game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well it's been 20 years but I finally beat Mechassault. The ending's not much to write home about but it was a fun revisit.

Mechassault 2 doesn't seem to work in emulators yet so rip that

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

This is the second time in as many months that I've seen a dev complain directly to the consumer about their salaries and it's like, what the gently caress do you expect us to do about it? I can't collectively bargain on your behalf, if you want more money then maybe it's time this industry nutted up and tried to form a union somewhere.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also console games weren't all $60 in 2000 and the MSRP of games historically had a lot to do with manufacturing costs rather than development

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also none of the money you pay for a game goes to the devs....they got their money already....it's called the budget.

There's also like a 75% chance most of the team was fired once they finished the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thompsons posted:

This is the second time in as many months that I've seen a dev complain directly to the consumer about their salaries and it's like, what the gently caress do you expect us to do about it? I can't collectively bargain on your behalf, if you want more money then maybe it's time this industry nutted up and tried to form a union somewhere.

lol he deleted his account.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

price arguments make a lot more sense from indie devs but that's fundamentally different and usually over whether sub-AAA games merit price points in the $10-40 range

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thompsons posted:

Both of these people are stupid, which is not surprising because, and you may have missed this initially, they are both posting on Twitter.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, good, Return to Monkey Island is only 25

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah that dude can gently caress off. Bad enough 70 dollars to charge for ports/remasters. Woooo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So my brain's taking a bit of a beating at the moment and it's the kind of brokebrains where Nuts and Bolts is specifically set up to counteroppose so in an unprecedented move I have decided to put the game on pause until such times as my headspace improves. Instead I need a game that is more of an adrenaline rush that will give me the boost I need to start playing and therefore my new game is...

Mirror's Edge!

And holy poo poo when I say adrenaline boost I mean adrenaline boost because this game is an absolute goddam rush. When you get in a proper flow and the running path lines up for you and the rooofops whoosh buy as you leap and slide and fly... I've not felt anything like this in gaming before. That feeling of speed is so visceral. I'm also really loving the bleak not-even-a-future-anymore dystopia and the animated cutscenes are so stylistic. Yeah I'm really digging this

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mirrors Edge was a lot of fun.

Did Catalyst end up being good? All I can remember about it is during development they modelled the villain after the EA CEO, then he found out, and then suddenly they had a new model :v:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Mirror's Edge is absolutely amazing and the theme song is A+. The better Still Alive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mirrors Edge kicked rear end

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What the gently caress this rules :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmUde_EK5Y

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

ah yes, the brief window in the 00s when EA tried their hand at making video games.
They certainly learned their lesson from that failed experiment.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
mirror's edge is good whenever you don't have a gun, which is thankfully like 95% of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinitum posted:

Mirrors Edge was a lot of fun.

Did Catalyst end up being good? All I can remember about it is during development they modelled the villain after the EA CEO, then he found out, and then suddenly they had a new model :v:

It's basically Mirrors Edge again with an extremely confusing and annoying to navigate open world tacked on.