Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I know there's no practical way of doing it without turning into China but I'd pay another 60 bux to never be matchmade into a team with children on it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say I am kinda glad you only get one tank. A team with DVA and Orisa would be insane.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just want to say I am kinda glad you only get one tank. A team with DVA and Orisa would be insane.

Turn to the darkside Open Queue. 2 tanks 1 Dps games are fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

It would be insane because you get only one tank, not the other way around.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This is exactly my jam and I've wanted something like this since the Starcraft Use Map Settings days. Is this new with OW2 or just since I left OW1 5 years ago?

https://youtu.be/ozFu_f6Qv5g

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

BrianBoitano posted:

This is exactly my jam and I've wanted something like this since the Starcraft Use Map Settings days. Is this new with OW2 or just since I left OW1 5 years ago?

Workshop came out in 2019.
There's a lot of custom game-, practice- and minigame modes.
https://workshop.codes/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's cool as hell, thank you!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OW2 keeps crashing on my PC for reasons I can’t figure out, so I linked my Nintendo account and I am now playing on Switch.

I didn’t realize it was possible for me to be worse at this game, but here we are. Also I can’t decide if the movement tracking on the controller is helpful or cursed.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

OW2 keeps crashing on my PC for reasons I can’t figure out, so I linked my Nintendo account and I am now playing on Switch.

I didn’t realize it was possible for me to be worse at this game, but here we are. Also I can’t decide if the movement tracking on the controller is helpful or cursed.

I play on switch sometimes when I can’t play on Xbox and the joycons are sooo bad for shooters.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I know there's no practical way of doing it without turning into China but I'd pay another 60 bux to never be matchmade into a team with children on it ever again.

Now that you mention it, the 40 dollar price tag combined with blizzard banning the gently caress out of people when they cheated, griefed, bought accounts and stuff helped improve matchmaking a lot. and now that price tag is gone

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

leftist heap posted:

I play on switch sometimes when I can’t play on Xbox and the joycons are sooo bad for shooters.

I had never planned to play OW2 on my Switch, but I downloaded it anyways and only use it to browse the shop. I also get $5 Nintendo eShop credit from my Gamestop Pro account every month so yay free poo poo.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

OW2 is really hard, and I'm really bad at it. Grinded out my placement matches and got Bronze 5 lol. (Support Zen/Mercy main)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Junkrat's Ult callout bugged? I had a match where I got no cue for 3 of them.

Or he used them all very close range, if it's just a mechanics thing?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snuff Melange posted:

OW2 is really hard, and I'm really bad at it. Grinded out my placement matches and got Bronze 5 lol. (Support Zen/Mercy main)

So long as you're having fun :unsmith:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Minorkos posted:

Now that you mention it, the 40 dollar price tag combined with blizzard banning the gently caress out of people when they cheated, griefed, bought accounts and stuff helped improve matchmaking a lot. and now that price tag is gone

The phone number is supposed to make this harder, though yeah you can probably make one account per non gamer family member, then Google voice if they didn't block it... a lot lower barrier to assholes than $40 or w/e.

The free price tag probably means more complete noobs to fill up b5, but we'll have to see once stats are out

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

The phone number is supposed to make this harder, though yeah you can probably make one account per non gamer family member, then Google voice if they didn't block it... a lot lower barrier to assholes than $40 or w/e.

The free price tag probably means more complete noobs to fill up b5, but we'll have to see once stats are out

I believe blizzard puts the complete noobs in gold for their placements. you know, the same MMR they put most of the master/grandmaster players from OW1 in

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Minorkos posted:

I believe blizzard puts the complete noobs in gold for their placements. you know, the same MMR they put most of the master/grandmaster players from OW1 in

this would explain a lot

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
There's no way noobs are getting placed in gold unless they're literally in a full stack

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Minorkos posted:

Completely incorrect

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

many voip programs like google voice are blocked

Smurfs and cheaters can easily get new phone numbers that validate through apps like talkatone, but they charge a premium for sms verification for like $2. One of the first search engine hits you get for advice for cheap blizz phone number verification is a cheat forum lol

a freemium blizzard-activision game called cod:warzone had phone number verification and slightly significant grind-2-win and cheating was still rampant

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 16, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Noobs into gold or maybe high silver is how it worked in OW1, but not 2. You'd rise or fall very fast after that though as your MMR stabilized. Like 50-100 SR per game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Minorkos posted:

Noobs probably got placed Silver 5 at best. I'm assuming this because I am trash and was placed there.

[edit] Finished my weekly challenges with 19 hours to spare, whew. The 20 team kill one is kinda dumb. Most likely to happen on push or control I guess, for anyone trying to farm.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 16, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I hope we get new weeklies, not same ones repeated over and over.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yes, please no more 20 team kill challenge. Two weeks of that is stupid, lol.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That should be 5 team kills, and the other weekly that's like "10 wins of two different roles" should be something like "5 wins with each role" and have a tracker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

But why would they spend effort on something that will lose them money?

If you make weeklies annoying enough then more people will give in and just buy stuff instead. Those are the pro F2P strats.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Jack Trades posted:

But why would they spend effort on something that will lose them money?

If you make weeklies annoying enough then more people will give in and just buy stuff instead. Those are the pro F2P strats.

I'm not grinding 3 of the weeklies anyway. I'm not going to do poo poo that's not fun for a dime.

Honestly the weekly rewards should be drastically increased, and there should be a larger reward for full completion than just winning a few games or whatever the easiest tier is.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have only completed 1 weekly challenge so far. As a casual player this game is gonna give gently caress all without ponying up.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Completely incorrect

Yeah I don't have anything to back up what I said aside from what I've heard others saying, and the fact that a few of my teammates with very few hours in total were gold

edit: to clarify I am talking about F2P players with no prior competitive queue games at all

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

leftist heap posted:

I have only completed 1 weekly challenge so far. As a casual player this game is gonna give gently caress all without ponying up.

That is super casual.

As in not play 10 matches a week casual.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

adhuin posted:

That is super casual.

As in not play 10 matches a week casual.

Which weekly challenge is just playing 10 matches? I play maybe 2-4 matches most days, although sometimes none if I’m busy.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

20 team kills sucks; I wasn't feeling well and didn't feel like playing video games this week and after 4ish hours of grinding arcade for 7 wins (which I got), I've progressed teamkills by two. I think I'll just have to live with missing :10cents: of overbux

As an aside open queue being always on in arcade is frustrating, I'm very tired of 2-3 tank deathball

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

lol at blizzard still have the default pratice range still being poo poo like 6 years later. not to mention their tutorial with 76

like christ why cant blizzard make good traning modes/minigames themseleves.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

leftist heap posted:

Which weekly challenge is just playing 10 matches? I play maybe 2-4 matches most days, although sometimes none if I’m busy.

There's the deal damage, heal and mitigate ones and then maybe play 7 matches with someone not in your top 3?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

adhuin posted:

There's the deal damage, heal and mitigate ones and then maybe play 7 matches with someone not in your top 3?

I have that last one and I’ll probably get the heal one before the weeks out. It’s just funny that I won’t even get these absolute penny shavings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think I have 20 team kills since launch.

I have 10 this week and had like 5 week one. I don't know where to check playtime but it's quite a bit, my friends have been super into it. I'm not good at this game at all, but I can tell from some lobbies I've played in I'm nowhere near as bad as it can get either.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Sombra needs a nerf I think. I've been playing her in DPS placements and she drives the other team completely insane. If they all don't peel at once it's like a squishy insta-delete

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Sombra absolutely needs a nerf but I'm enjoying the hell out of it while it lasts.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Triple Kiriko is op. Really fun game of Mystery heroes. Good healing, good headshots and constant kitsune roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

effervescible posted:

Sombra absolutely needs a nerf but I'm enjoying the hell out of it while it lasts.

yeah it's fun to give some poor DPS PTSD by repeatedly hacking them without coming out of invisibility