Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

Darth Vader is a failed Jedi Knight. What the hell good is that supposed to be? It just means he's gonna take a penalty on Force Use checks.

I feel like that's a bit of a poor faith take on the complaint. Like, "failed knight," what does that suggest to you that said character is going to be good at, if that's all you've got to roll with for a descriptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

All issues with hyphz's table aside (but don't get me wrong, hyphz's table stories read like an anxiety dream), I feel like the question of "are we okay with broad character archetypes being used to describe a character's skill set, or do we want stricter technical definitions of what characters know and can do?" is a reasonable one for a table to ask, and for the answer to guide system choices. (I know I've seen earnest good-faith discussion of whether "players will try to apply their backgrounds to every possible skill check" is a bug or a feature of the 13th Age background system, to think of the first example that comes to mind.) I personally think archetype-based skillsets are great, but I can believe that some tables might want things more spelled out, and that's fine!
just to latch on to the thing I recognize, "apply their backgrounds" is obviously a feature much like "apply their best background" is obviously a bug

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like that's a bit of a poor faith take on the complaint. Like, "failed knight," what does that suggest to you that said character is going to be good at, if that's all you've got to roll with for a descriptor?

Hm, I mean the nature of the failure matters right? My first thought is that they're tougher than they look, able to bounce back from setbacks few others face. I'd also use it for fighting well, though arguably dirtier than a proper knight. If they failed due to dishonor I'd probably interpret "failed knight" as also covering tricking people through pretending to be more honorable or upright than you are, and to fitting in at least briefly in high society. Basically I'd assume "failed knight" means a character is good at being mean, duplicitous, and resourceful.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Tulip posted:

Hm, I mean the nature of the failure matters right? My first thought is that they're tougher than they look, able to bounce back from setbacks few others face. I'd also use it for fighting well, though arguably dirtier than a proper knight. If they failed due to dishonor I'd probably interpret "failed knight" as also covering tricking people through pretending to be more honorable or upright than you are, and to fitting in at least briefly in high society. Basically I'd assume "failed knight" means a character is good at being mean, duplicitous, and resourceful.

That's not a bad interpretation, but I feel like that could be made clearer with some better wording. Like make it obvious that the failure was a moral failure. Like if it was "Dishonoured Knight" instead, which implies something about what talents they bring to the table. "Failed Knight" could just mean "can't ride a horse, can't hold a sword, can't figure out how to put on a fancy tabard without ripping it in half."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

That's not a bad interpretation, but I feel like that could be made clearer with some better wording. Like make it obvious that the failure was a moral failure. Like if it was "Dishonoured Knight" instead, which implies something about what talents they bring to the table. "Failed Knight" could just mean "can't ride a horse, can't hold a sword, can't figure out how to put on a fancy tabard without ripping it in half."

Yeah there's multiple angles to it for sure. Like my actual first instinct was just 'masterless,' not in the sense of a bachelor knight but more in the sense of like a ronin. I'd definitely want to like, flesh the character out from that concept and probably nail it down a little more for what the "failure" means.

And I've def played games where "can't ride a horse etc" would be no impediment to an effective character - "fool" classes have been a lot of fun for me in the past and frankly I tend to be better at piloting them than more straightforward killers.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I would have figured 'Failed Knight' meant like Cyan Garamonde of FFVI. A knight who failed his people and everyone died around him. So excellent marks at all knightly duties, and also blaming himself and making silk flowers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Failed Knight who is extremely good at honor, courtly love, and generally navigating the social and spiritual space of knighthood, but is extremely bad at the parts where you ride a horse and engage in violence" sounds like kind of a baller character concept, honestly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tulip posted:

Yeah there's multiple angles to it for sure. Like my actual first instinct was just 'masterless,' not in the sense of a bachelor knight but more in the sense of like a ronin. I'd definitely want to like, flesh the character out from that concept and probably nail it down a little more for what the "failure" means.

And I've def played games where "can't ride a horse etc" would be no impediment to an effective character - "fool" classes have been a lot of fun for me in the past and frankly I tend to be better at piloting them than more straightforward killers.

Even "Masterless Knight" I can more easily come up with ideas than "Failed Knight," there might be intimidation("oh no! masterless knights are all dangerous and unstable people that challenge you to a duel at the drop of a hat!") or provocation("a masterless knight???? a mockery of our grand and noble traditions! en guarde, fiend!") in some situations, and if the game permits for it a general fighty bonus(maybe he DOES really fight duels at the drop of a hat and has plenty of experience with it).

And I love me a good "fool," but most games end up in combat at some point, and having an entire part of the game you have to check out from unless it robustly allows you to use non-combat skills for something funky there, isn't particularly fun to me. Like in social situations and the like, you can usually get some comedy out of not being too good at things without being actively disruptive, but in a fight it takes a very specific system and a very good GM for "being bad at fighting" to not just be "you accomplish nothing, go stand in the corner and tick down your HP."

I wish more games provided some incitement to play to your weaknesses, like take a thing you're objectively poo poo at. Every time you try to do this thing and fail, you get some metacurrency. Every time you do something stupid because of this vice you picked, you get some metacurrency. Something of that sort. So people who are bad at things are encouraged to still try them, for the sake of stocking up metacurrency for the things they want to succeed at, like the combat incompetent who's a great face or hacker or turtle rider whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"I use 'failed knight' to reroll my horse roll"
*rolls a 1*
"Well it doesn't say 'successful knight'"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PurpleXVI posted:

This is fair, although in the context of my inference of the hyphz reading of text I would say it is perhaps somewhat less fair. If I am understanding the concept here, broad strokes like "failed knight" would lead you to go down further as you go along and define the character and how you failed - are you Cyan (badass at fighting, but failed your people, surviving only by dumb luck?)

Are you Anakin Skywalker (incredible at the actual position, flawed as a person, manipulated by evil?)

Are you a perfectly fine knight who failed a cruel master on trivial causes, leading you to support some infant inheritor of the rightful throne?

etc.

To me, "failed knight" suggests that my character is a knight in terms of skills and abilities and background, but one who is defined by having failed at some key test, rather than someone who tried to become a knight and washed out. This wouldn't invalidate other options, but even someone who attempted to become a knight and failed might be an excellent fighter and knowledgeable in the skills; maybe they were Jewish, maybe they have some subtle health flaw that made them swoon during the vigil, whatever.

You can apply similar logic to a failed diplomat. You could take it in the direction of farce - some pompous high-status rear end who is incompetent in general - but you could also have a Jean-Luc Picard who had simply failed at some key test, for whatever reason. Indeed it could be a campaign driver; "inexplicably the Rigellians did something that wasn't in character for them, and it wasn't orders from on high, nor was it some single diplomat's whim. But why?"

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean yes it could, but it could equally mean "failed because of one specific thing, but still great at the rest". You're the one who decided that it had to mean "useless at everything".

Anyway, even then you can roll on Failed Knight to do stuff like "well, I may be a failed knight, but even a failed knight knows that the heraldry of Duke Windermere is red on black. That guy's an impostor!"

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Or, hell, even if it does mean "I'm bad at everything a knight should be good at," like... okay, what did you do to get by instead? You're good at all that stuff.

"I'm a failed knight so I'm good at scrounging and surviving on the road since no lord will give me hospitality."

"I'm a failed knight, so I'm good at shanking people in the back since I'm useless in a straight up duel."

"I'm a failed knight, so I'm good at giving the appearance of being a wealthy aristo so no one realizes I'm actually destitute."

"I'm a failed knight, but I had enough of the knightly code drilled into my head that I know how actual knights will act, and how to exploit that."

Etc.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
13A does have issues in play as written because it wants you to allocate points to 3 different backgrounds, and applicability of them does vary a bunch - it's a weird case where at chargen the backgrounds are doing one job, fleshing out your character's history, and during play they do something different.

It was very easy for players to pick flavorful and evocative backgrounds that either subsumed each other or your weaker background was the one that happened to come up, and it realllly felt odd in the case where you had +4 something vaguely related and +1 something clearly related to the situation.

Easy patch for 13A at least was to say 'allocate +4 to 2 backgrounds' instead of letting you spread the points, and let people rewrite them at will after play starts. I was tempted to get people to rewrite them each session and give bennies for the ones that got used.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xiw posted:

13A does have issues in play as written because it wants you to allocate points to 3 different backgrounds, and applicability of them does vary a bunch - it's a weird case where at chargen the backgrounds are doing one job, fleshing out your character's history, and during play they do something different.

It was very easy for players to pick flavorful and evocative backgrounds that either subsumed each other or your weaker background was the one that happened to come up, and it realllly felt odd in the case where you had +4 something vaguely related and +1 something clearly related to the situation.

Easy patch for 13A at least was to say 'allocate +4 to 2 backgrounds' instead of letting you spread the points, and let people rewrite them at will after play starts. I was tempted to get people to rewrite them each session and give bennies for the ones that got used.
This looks like more of a Fate deal where your traits can be as wide or as narrow as you like because they only have a mechanical impact when you spend a point. Yours can be "heterochromia" and mine can be "literally superman" and it just means I'll usually spend all my points on laser vision related tasks while you mainly lean on your other background "is friends with literally goku".

Incidentally

quote:

Fabula Points can be gained in four different ways:
* When the Player Character rolls a fumble, they gain 1 Fabula Point.
* When a Player Character reaches 0 Hit Points and surrenders, they gain 2 Fabula Points.
* When a Villain appears in a scene (unless they were already present during the previous scene), each Player Character gains 1 Fabula Point. If multiple Villains appear together, each Player Character gains 1 Fabula Point per Villain.
* If a Player Character begins a session with no Fabula Points, they gain 1 Fabula Point.
Which led me to

quote:

NON-PLAYER CHARACTERS
If a Non-Player Character falls to 0 Hit Points, their fate is decided by whoever dealt the final blow - they might flee, be captured, or die. Villains with at least 1 Ultima Point will almost always spend it to safely leave the scene, usually cursing the heroes and plotting revenge.
PLAYER CHARACTERS
If a Player Character falls to 0 Hit Points, they may Surrender or Sacrifice themselves.
* Surrender. The character loses consciousness, receives 2 Fabula Points, and suffers a narrative consequence imposed by the Game Master (see sample consequences of surrendering, below). The consequence might be tied to the current conflict or something completely unrelated. Suffice it to say, the world got a bit worse because a hero accepted defeat. A character who surrenders cannot be killed and will awaken at the start of the next scene they are part of, with an amount of Hit Points equal to half their maximum.
* Sacrifice. The character loses their life but achieves a major victory within the scene - the Player and the Game Master narrate this epic moment together. We encourage you to go overboard with your description because the character will be permanently lost after this scene: they willingly gave up their life and cannot be brought back from the dead.
SAMPLE CONSEQUENCES OF SURRENDERING
* Something or someone the character holds dear is lost, stolen or severely damaged.
* The character is separated from the group - captured, stranded on a desolate island, dragged away by a monster and so on.
* The character erases their current Theme and replaces it with Anger, Doubt, Guilt, or Vengeance.
* The character erases one of their Bonds replaces it with a Bond towards a character chosen by the Game Master. This Bond starts with one emotion: hatred, inferiority, or mistrust.
* An enemy gets to make a major move - a village is conquered, a precious artifact is taken, a terrible ritual is completed, the seal on an ancient evil is broken, and so on.
So that's neat.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 16, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

not translated yet and I think the wiki's dead

:negative:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Antivehicular posted:

"Failed Knight who is extremely good at honor, courtly love, and generally navigating the social and spiritual space of knighthood, but is extremely bad at the parts where you ride a horse and engage in violence" sounds like kind of a baller character concept, honestly.

It is, and you can also see how that starts out as "failed knight" and grows into what you wrote through the background being applied to stuff in play, the player explaining how it applies, and other players building on those explanations. This is why I'm always sceptical of criticism of backgrounds like this because even the laziest poo poo can be spun into gold if the system makes you add layers to it in play

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

good news! I found where the wiki moved! bad news! still not translated

https://w.atwiki.jp/exapicotrpg/
https://ux.getuploader.com/hymmmetrics/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In the context of most RPGs, "Failed X" means "you're an X who is an adventurer instead of an X"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

good news! I found where the wiki moved! bad news! still not translated

https://w.atwiki.jp/exapicotrpg/
https://ux.getuploader.com/hymmmetrics/

I deffo should look into that!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

wow, really don't like that

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I mean, I turned this over a few times and what I guess is bothersome is the idea that you have a limited number of these things to pick from, with different themes, and they can be arbitrary phrases.

Thing is, as we see the idea of a limit has no meaning, because a phrase can pull in any amount of context. Is Darth Vader a "failed Jedi"? Technically he is, but he's not the same as any number of kids who dropped out of the Academy. Why did the character stop being the captain of the Skyraiders? What is a Skyraider, anyway? In Fabula Ultima there is a bit more background included on these, and why they stopped is listed as a question for the player to suggest an answer to. Is a "Princess without a kingdom" someone who grew up with a royal background and then escaped from an invading army? Or is she a member of a royal family that lost any status generations ago and persists with the delusion? Why did you fail at being a Diplomat? Is it because you're socially inappropriate, or is it because your latent skill as a berserker awakened at the wrong moment and you tore an emissary to shreds?

So given all that - why bother with the limits on number of Aspects? Why not just say "your character can spend a benny for a reroll on anything they would reasonably be good at given their backstory?" You have to pull in their entire backstory anyway in order to understand what an Aspect means, so how is that practically different?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Because limitations are often good for creativity. Being handed a blank piece of paper and being told "draw anything" will make a lot of people freeze up.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tulip posted:

all i know about ar tonelico is that the music is really baroque, does the rpg require that you sing at the table cuz that would be p rad

fair enough carry on

It's not exactly singing at the table, but consider 99c Chamber of Death

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
OK, gripes about the system:

The dice system base is fine. You roll your two dice, add them together, equal or beat the TN, fine. There's three TNs - easy (7) average (10) and hard (13). The GM can also give you 1 or 2 to add or subtract from your roll depending on circumstances, not a lot of guidance but eh it's a quickstart. Fumbles are on a double 1, something bad happens but you get a point. That's all fine.

I don't like that rerolling based on traits is a straight reroll. Even rerolling a 1 and only needing a 2 has decent odds of you just wasting a bennie. Also since your dice are different sizes it can be hard to tell what the best reroll option is; if you have a d6 and a d8 and get 4 and 5 respectively for a TN of 10 what's your best reroll option? (Reroll the d8, that gives you 37.5% chance. Rerolling the d6 is only a 33.33% recurring, while rerolling both dice is only 31.25%). Using bonds is almost always going to be strictly better except during hail mary rolls, which eh, if that's what they're going for fine but it leaves your traits as a list of things you will rarely utterly balls up rather than things you will regularly be awesome at actually no it doesn't, turns out rolling a fumble means you can't reroll. So yeah from a mechanical point of view spending FP on backgrounds is a mugs game when you can get a solid +1 to +3 from invoking a bond, or just spending them on declarations.

I also really don't like the crit system. Rolling a double where the doubled number is 6 or higher (so rolling two 6, not two 3s) is an auto success and also you get a side bonus.

1) Your minimum auto success is 12, which is already a success on an average TN with a -2 modifier. Kind of weird mental overhead.
2) 2d10 has the highest crit chance, when I'd prefer it to be better the shittier your dice so as to reduce the incentive to always use your best dice.
3) The crit chances are really low, ranging from 1 in 20 for 2d10 all the way down to 1 in 72 for 1d6 + 1d12.
4) Finally "Oh hey I got doubles oh wait they're lower than 6 that means nothing" is weird gamefeel.

Ditching the wholly unnecessary auto success qualifier and making it all doubles except 1s would give higher odds of a sidegrade to lower die rolls:
pre:
       d6    d8    d10  d12
d6   13.9% 10.4%  8.3%  6.9% 
d8   10.4% 10.9%  8.8%  7.3%
d10   8.3%  8.8%  9.0%  7.5%%
d12   6.9%  7.3%  7.5%  7.6%
It wouldn't be perfect, a 12 and a 6 is strictly worse than a 10 and an 8, but in general rolling a pair of chump dice would have better odds of a side bonus than rolling your speciality, helping even out the downsides of stepping outside your wheelhouse.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 16, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

So given all that - why bother with the limits on number of Aspects? Why not just say "your character can spend a benny for a reroll on anything they would reasonably be good at given their backstory?" You have to pull in their entire backstory anyway in order to understand what an Aspect means, so how is that practically different?
It's shorthand. The player knows their backstory, the trait is just a couple of words on their sheet to remind them of it when they're frantically scanning for something to help them out.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Even "Masterless Knight" I can more easily come up with ideas than "Failed Knight," there might be intimidation("oh no! masterless knights are all dangerous and unstable people that challenge you to a duel at the drop of a hat!") or provocation("a masterless knight???? a mockery of our grand and noble traditions! en guarde, fiend!") in some situations, and if the game permits for it a general fighty bonus(maybe he DOES really fight duels at the drop of a hat and has plenty of experience with it).

And I love me a good "fool," but most games end up in combat at some point, and having an entire part of the game you have to check out from unless it robustly allows you to use non-combat skills for something funky there, isn't particularly fun to me. Like in social situations and the like, you can usually get some comedy out of not being too good at things without being actively disruptive, but in a fight it takes a very specific system and a very good GM for "being bad at fighting" to not just be "you accomplish nothing, go stand in the corner and tick down your HP."

I wish more games provided some incitement to play to your weaknesses, like take a thing you're objectively poo poo at. Every time you try to do this thing and fail, you get some metacurrency. Every time you do something stupid because of this vice you picked, you get some metacurrency. Something of that sort. So people who are bad at things are encouraged to still try them, for the sake of stocking up metacurrency for the things they want to succeed at, like the combat incompetent who's a great face or hacker or turtle rider whatever.

Well, I mean, this is making me think a lot about the fact that the venn diagram of the games you and I have both played is...paranoia? Not trying to be like critical or anything, its just kind of funny that my baseline norm for RPGs is very different from yours. Cultural sharing!

Among the systems I play, the one that is the most combat heavy is Apocalypse World, where it's basically 20% of what a character is good at. Characters are Cool, Hard, Hot, Sharp, and Weird, and Hard is just the combat stat. Characters that are not hard often have tricks to make up for it in violent situations, but being more Hard just makes you better at combat and the class that focuses most straightforward on being Hard, the Gunlugger, not only has the most Hard but also has excellent combat tricks. There's just no attempt to make every character good at combat, if you have -2 Hard you just accept that you are going to gently caress up more often than not when you try and kill people. But combat isn't more important to the system that social rolls or endurance or knowledge.

A good example of a game that I consider very typical and straightforward to explain is Blades in the Dark. There's 12 stats, one of which (Skirmish) is a straightforward combat stat and several others can be used for limited forms of combat (like a gunfight can always be Skirmish, but you can usually use Hunt to shoot people, arguably Prowl or Finesse, sometimes even Wreck, but all of those are going to limit your options). But fights aren't unique, they aren't strictly more dangerous than other things. A "desperate" position is a desperate position, whether its fighting people or climbing a building or trying to intimidate somebody. If you're in a desperate position, then 3 harm is generally considered fair. Like I can imagine off the top of my head scenarios that would get you shot and take 3 harm for Skirmish (shootout), Prowl (trying to move cover-to-cover across an area that a sniper is overwatching), or Command (trying to intimidate a person holding a gun to back down). Fail any of those and you took the same harm, whether its combat or not. And similarly a combat can be a controlled position where you're taking very little harm even if you totally fail the roll - you're armed and they're not, you got the jump on them, they're already hurt, they're surrounded.

As for that last part, I'm used that being standard issue - like many systems I play, failing rolls is the #1 source of XP. The fool type characters I'm referring to are from Dungeon World and Legend of the Elements, where that's exactly the core of their gameplay loop. DW's Fool can roll for being "gullible" and "out of depth" and "lost," and they gain a metacurrency that they can spend to improve others rolls or autosucceed on other things. LotE's Peasant gains metacurrency and XP for taking consequences from others and has more metacurrency but cannot use to help themselves and stuff like that. It's neat!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I am one of those who doesn't like those sorts of backgrounds determining your roll bonus and things like "princess without a kingdom" are exactly why.

A. That is a very cool background to have and I want people to pick backgrounds like that.

but...

B. I can't think of a single thing that someone with that background is inarguably good at. Which means that they can argue for its use on kind of anything.

and...

C. If the intention is that people will always be able to argue for using a background and getting a bonus on everything they do, just wrap that into the game math. Reduce all TNs by 3 and delete the background bonus.

It's the same as D&D driving attacks off of your class primary stat: it mechanically limits your choices by essentially forcing you to have a 20 in your primary. Better would be to just give you a +5 to attack at level 1 and go up from there. Then you could play an absent-minded wizard with mediocre INT who could still hit with attacks. Removing the thing tying the bonus to stats opens up people to be more creative about the characters they create in D&D, and the same goes for backgrounds: removing the mechanical incentive to pick a vague and broad background opens the space up for them to pick a cool background that might not have a lot of applications to skill rolls.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PurpleXVI posted:

It's worth pointing out that there's a difference between encouraging people to use things they're bad at to fail, and encouraging people to use things they're bad at to succeed.

The former is pretty common, but in my experience it's usually bribing players with metacurrency to voluntarily fail rather than as a consolation prize for trying and failing. This is because voluntarily failing is still a form of narrative control; you chose to send the narrative down a less optimal but more in-character path (and you were rewarded with sweet sweet metacurrency). Rolling for something you want to succeed at but choosing to reduce your odds of doing so is the opposite of narrative control; in order for that to work you need the assumption to be failure, as in the player has chosen to fail, with success as an added surprise bonus. That's tricky because once success is a possibility then human nature makes you hope for the success no matter how unlikely. The only game I've seen pull it off is With Great Power, where you choose to fail by playing a bad card from your hand to get rid of it. So you've already gotten what you wanted (ditched a bad card), and your bonus goal isn't "Will I succeed anyway" but rather "How good of a card is the GM going to waste on the four I just threw down". This makes the GM hucking down a 3 and you actually succeeding not just an unexpected win, but an unexpected category of win.

I'm not sure how you could achieve the same thing in a dice roll system. Maybe get a metacurrency for choosing to "fail", then make a dice roll to get a side-benefit like a second bennie or something but critical success on the side benefit roll means your side benefit is "Actually you did it well done".

Oh also obviously you have to make failure have teeth so you can't just fail the read runes roll and then the next player goes "OK yeah and now I do it properly".

The latter, encouraging people to use things they're bad at to succeed, is even harder because you're completely ditching any pretence of "failure is good". The best you can do is what I was doing up there with those dice tables; something where your "bad" stats are still "good" stats, it's just that what they're good at isn't successfully accomplishing tasks. e: Or fiddling the DC so that your bad numbers are the good numbers in this specific circumstance which kind of defeats the purpose of having bad numbers!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 16, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

I am one of those who doesn't like those sorts of backgrounds determining your roll bonus and things like "princess without a kingdom" are exactly why.

A. That is a very cool background to have and I want people to pick backgrounds like that.

but...

B. I can't think of a single thing that someone with that background is inarguably good at. Which means that they can argue for its use on kind of anything.

and...

C. If the intention is that people will always be able to argue for using a background and getting a bonus on everything they do, just wrap that into the game math. Reduce all TNs by 3 and delete the background bonus.

It's the same as D&D driving attacks off of your class primary stat: it mechanically limits your choices by essentially forcing you to have a 20 in your primary. Better would be to just give you a +5 to attack at level 1 and go up from there. Then you could play an absent-minded wizard with mediocre INT who could still hit with attacks. Removing the thing tying the bonus to stats opens up people to be more creative about the characters they create in D&D, and the same goes for backgrounds: removing the mechanical incentive to pick a vague and broad background opens the space up for them to pick a cool background that might not have a lot of applications to skill rolls.
Yup. You can have bonuses with unlimited uses but strictly defined areas of application, or undefined areas of application but strictly limited number of uses, or even strictly defined areas of application and strictly limited uses, but you can't have unlimited uses and fuzzily defined areas of application because mechanically that's just an always-on bonus with extra steps.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Sounds like I'll be sticking with Fellowship, then. Thanks for the dice math, Splicer!

someday I wanna do an effortpost talking about the dice in kamigakari and how I think that's a cool system, but I'm not really invested enough for it to be a F&F and I don't think it'd be particularly interesting just shouted into the aether here.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
One thing I like to do with background systems is ask people to specifically define what it doesn't cover. I find it's easier to list gaps than to try and list all the things a background can cover. And by doing so, the GM can just let backgrounds apply unless those gaps come up, instead of the player asking all the time if a background applies.

Defining gaps for skills in RPGs is something I haven't really seen around, and I think it's interesting design space. I've wanted to do something like that for a superhero setting, where instead of picking out all the things your powers can do, you specifically define its limits. Then over the course of play and advancement, you can temporarily (and later permanently) expand those limits.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

LimitedReagent posted:

One thing I like to do with background systems is ask people to specifically define what it doesn't cover. I find it's easier to list gaps than to try and list all the things a background can cover. And by doing so, the GM can just let backgrounds apply unless those gaps come up, instead of the player asking all the time if a background applies.

Defining gaps for skills in RPGs is something I haven't really seen around, and I think it's interesting design space. I've wanted to do something like that for a superhero setting, where instead of picking out all the things your powers can do, you specifically define its limits. Then over the course of play and advancement, you can temporarily (and later permanently) expand those limits.

It's interesting. Like RPGs have sometimes had "flaws" like in OWOD, and at least I've seen some systems where characters are defined by their obligations (Hardholder in AW is my favorite), or by some sort of vow (I'm thinking like Vow of Poverty in DnD, or even I guess like Paladins and Druids depending on edition/GM).

A sort of interesting element of this IMO is that in most systems characters are by default incompetent and then are modified/built into being competent at a few things. Which is to say that the default stance of this style of design is that PCs are inept. You mention supers but honestly could be any sort of system where the PCs are generically strong but then have weaknesses, which TBH is a more common type of character for litfic. Start with a baseline of competence and then carve out weakness like a sculpture.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leraika posted:

Sounds like I'll be sticking with Fellowship, then. Thanks for the dice math, Splicer!

someday I wanna do an effortpost talking about the dice in kamigakari and how I think that's a cool system, but I'm not really invested enough for it to be a F&F and I don't think it'd be particularly interesting just shouted into the aether here.
Insufficiently frequently occurring system mechanics are a big pet peeve of mine.

Also I forgot to say that even on a 2d6 roll the odds of rolling a fumble is only 1 in 36, and on a 2d12 rolls is 1 in 144. Why even have that as a mechanic?

e: It's a shame because a lot of the actual stuff seems good it's just the core resolution mechanic that's ehhhhhh

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 16, 2022

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Splicer posted:

It's shorthand. The player knows their backstory, the trait is just a couple of words on their sheet to remind them of it when they're frantically scanning for something to help them out.

Everyone arguing about this, re-read Splicer's post until it's burned into your eyeballs. The players at the table know what the trait means, it does not need to be clear to outside observers what "Failed Knight" or "Princess Without a Kingdom" means. This is how Aspects and suchlike have always worked, the context is what matters.

Splicer posted:

e: It's a shame because a lot of the actual stuff seems good it's just the core resolution mechanic that's ehhhhhh

It really is a shame, because a bad core mechanic sinks the whole game. You can't patch fundamentally broken math, the whole system is based around it so even if you manage to tweak it a bit, the echoes of it will be in every part of the system and your work will never end.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

You can sit down and have an actual conversation about what it means, and that way you can define it before the game starts and not just arbitrarily use it for everything, if you want the application to be narrow(er).

Jimbozig posted:

Splicer posted:

Yup. You can have bonuses with unlimited uses but strictly defined areas of application, or undefined areas of application but strictly limited number of uses, or even strictly defined areas of application and strictly limited uses, but you can't have unlimited uses and fuzzily defined areas of application because mechanically that's just an always-on bonus with extra steps.

There's a big difference in gamefeel between those two options - this isn't equivalent to a player option everyone takes because it's too good or a maths-fix feat that's optional-but-not-really. The extra step matters!

The actual solution is for the game to be 100% upfront about the expectation that people invoke their background constantly for everything, that way you get the intended design of "people bring their character's background into everything all the time" and there's no risk that some people will end up with backgrounds that are too narrow in their application.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 16, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can sit down and have an actual conversation about what it means, and that way you can define it before the game starts and not just arbitrarily use it for everything, if you want the application to be narrow(er).

There's a big difference in gamefeel between those two options - this isn't equivalent to a player option everyone takes because it's too good or a maths-fix feat that's optional-but-not-really. The extra step matters!

The actual solution is for the game to be 100% upfront about the expectation that people invoke their background constantly for everything, that way you get the intended design of "people bring their character's background into everything all the time" and there's no risk that some people will end up with backgrounds that are too narrow in their application.
The games that do this don't have this expectation though, otherwise they wouldn't tell you to have +3 in one trait, +2 in another trait, and +1 in another trait. They'd tell you to make three traits at +3, or tell you to make three traits and apply a -3 penalty when none of the traits apply.

e: Like this hypothetical system where you have a few traits that it's assumed you will almost always be referring back to to describe your actions is absolutely fine as a concept and a perfectly serviceable rules-light RP prompt system, but it's not how the games in question actually roll.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 16, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kestral posted:

It really is a shame, because a bad core mechanic sinks the whole game. You can't patch fundamentally broken math, the whole system is based around it so even if you manage to tweak it a bit, the echoes of it will be in every part of the system and your work will never end.
What's weird is how last minute the bad stuff feels and how easily it just slots out. Like the crit fails and doubles = crits but only if 6 or better are such weird nonentities of rules that you could strip them out entirely and the base system would be basically untouched. It's like they finished the game and someone's D&D-obsessed SO started yelling "YOU FORGOT THE CRIT RULES!" and they were all "The what rules" and then were forced to add some technically there non-rules just to shut him up. Similarly the reroll feels like a last minute change or addition that they didn't have time to think about properly, like they'd made this cool bond system for their game about winning through the power of friendship/bitter rivalry and then the same guy went "NO YOU SHOULD DO IT LIKE ADVANTAGE (or FATE rather I suppose)" and everyone sighed and slotted in a half-assed trait system so he'd stop getting cheeto dust everywhere.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 16, 2022

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yes! Absolutely, it is a different gamefeel, 100%.

Do you get a different mechanical result from choosing background A instead of background B? No. But you looked at your sheet and you picked one. So you are reminded that you are playing that aspect of your character. You're a princess without a kingdom, not a robot looking for his creator! It makes no mechanical difference, but every time you act, you act as a princess, while your buddy acts as a robot. And the mechanics tell you that you have to say that and remember that. And moreover, that feeds back into the action you take because when you look at your sheet and see your background but realize it doesn't fit very well, you'll rephrase or reflavor or tweak your action to be more princess-y. So the mechanic reinforces you in playing your character in line with your chosen archetype. It works well.

Cortex is built on that completely. Each action you take, you do that same thing multiple times. You pick an affiliation, then a training, then a background (I'm sorry, I don't remember the cortex names for these things, but you get the idea), and you build a little dice pool. And one dice pool is very much like the next, so mechanically it tends largely to come out in the wash (as they remind you, small dice and large each have their own advantages.)

And personally, I kind of just don't like it. I can't say it's bad because I know it works well for lots of people and as a designer, I can see what it's doing and how it works, and I find it very cool and interesting, and I learned good design lessons from it. It's just not to my taste. The kinds of decisions you are making in those games are the kinds of decisions I have very little interest in. In RPGs, I like decisions with a lot of mechanical weight, and I like decisions with a lot of narrative weight (which you can of course make in any game). Choosing which of two flavors applies best to my already-chosen action and whether it gets me a d6 or a d8 just isn't either of those things, and making that kind of decision multiple times per action rubs me wrong somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I really like backgrounds as skills in systems where there's a cost to failure - systems with "success at a cost" mechanics and so forth.

Because then, a background is essentially an approach. Whether you're using your "Failed Knight" background or a "Princess of a Forgotten Kingdom" background - you obviously have both - matters. Because the fallout from one versus the other matters. Choosing which background you're rolling is telling the GM "if I fail, these are the kind of complications I invite, and these are the kind I'm not interested in engaging with". In these systems, backgrounds are flavorful versions of "Quick" and "Careful" and so forth.

In a system with binary success/failure, like 13th Age, then backgrounds just become an "argue for your best stat" system. And sure, you can have a session zero about "what does the phrase Failed Knight even mean", but whatever backstory it encapsulates, clever players can find a way to make it relevant. Creative players will casually explain why their "lonely botanist" background is relevant for flying an X-wing, befriending a robot, and disarming a trap. In these systems, backgrounds as skills are kinda dumb.