Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Funzo posted:

If the other side of that new Warcry box is good, I may be very tempted to finally get in to the game.

You can pick up the current box for as low as 165 on eBay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/4039249789...ABk9SR56-i7j4YA

It might be worth holding off and seeing how the new box does, because you can probably pick it up for less than 20% off if it doesn't sell well. I picked up the High Elf box for a really good deal because it was poorly priced and the model selection was not compelling for most collectors.

Also, if you are willing to make a large order right now, you can order from the UK as the pound is extremely weak. Even though shipping is a bit high, I was able to place an order for Mortarion, a Gravis Tank, and the Admech Flyer that was about 30% off MSRP after it was all said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Warcry is pretty good, yes. Too bad many people only play Killteam as the default small skirmish game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've played a bunch of games as Darkoath Savagers and it was amazing. Very well designed, though sometimes the random mission generation is just gonna gently caress you up.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Talas posted:

Warcry is pretty good, yes. Too bad many people only play Killteam as the default small skirmish game.

I can find a local KT group but the local AoS group doesn’t play Warcry which is a shame since I would prefer a fantasy based skirmish game

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Warcry is worth picking up if you can get it for 175 or so, just for the terrain and miniatures. They are really nice I think! And it is a lot of terrain. Even if you don't play warcry I think it is a good value. But they priced it so poorly you might be able to get even deeper discounts in a few weeks.

Edit to add here it is at about 155, absolutely worth it I think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1255172871...ABk9SR4CY-uT5YA

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1580551489894088710

For those who have been waiting for the next battlescroll, be prepared to wait for a while longer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the positive side, next White Dwarf will have some Halloween battleplans with autonomously operating zombies.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

quote:

- Army Faction: Skaven
LEADERS
Thanquol (415)*
- 2 x Warpfire Projectors
- 2 x Warpfire Braziers
- Spells: Death Frenzy
Warlock Engineer (105)*
- General
- Command Traits: Deranged Inventor
- Artefacts of Power: Vial of the Fulminator
- Spells: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Engineer (105)*
- Artefacts of Power: The Brass Orb
BATTLELINE
Clanrats (100)
Stormfiends (320)
Stormfiends (320)
Clanrats (100)
ARTILLERY
Warplock Jezzails (120)
Warp Lightning Cannon (150)
OTHER
Ratling Gun (65)
Ratling Gun (65)
Ratling Gun (65)
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Lauchon the Soulseeker (30)
TERRAIN
1 x Gnawhole (0)
1 x Gnawhole (0)
1 x Gnawhole (0)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Command Entourage
- Magnificent

TOTAL POINTS: 1960/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Any thoughts on this Skaven list I'm building? The Skaven book is so big and has so many interlocking moving parts I'm just kind of wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

The plan is basically just to shoot poo poo up while clanrats screen and stormfiends provide a wall. Engineers buff the cannon and the ratling guns, while Thanquol gets on the boat with his skeleton bro and provides a massive distraction carnifex.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Geisladisk posted:

Any thoughts on this Skaven list I'm building? The Skaven book is so big and has so many interlocking moving parts I'm just kind of wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

The plan is basically just to shoot poo poo up while clanrats screen and stormfiends provide a wall. Engineers buff the cannon and the ratling guns, while Thanquol gets on the boat with his skeleton bro and provides a massive distraction carnifex.

I'd probably run the Stormfiends as one group since they will love More-More Warp Power and can survive it. I've always been pretty surprised by them, but you definitely want them shooting for as long as they can.

I've been running one group of 40 clan rats with a Clawlord in tow to ensure they survive battleshock. It has been a great tarpit while the rest of my army gets into position. I'm curious to know how your two groups of 20 do since I've always been hesitant to spend on clan rats.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You can pick up the current box for as low as 165 on eBay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/4039249789...ABk9SR56-i7j4YA

It might be worth holding off and seeing how the new box does, because you can probably pick it up for less than 20% off if it doesn't sell well. I picked up the High Elf box for a really good deal because it was poorly priced and the model selection was not compelling for most collectors.

Also, if you are willing to make a large order right now, you can order from the UK as the pound is extremely weak. Even though shipping is a bit high, I was able to place an order for Mortarion, a Gravis Tank, and the Admech Flyer that was about 30% off MSRP after it was all said and done.

I did that for the DoK Christmas box a few years ago. Ended up paying $125 for it after shipping with the exchange rate and the outside of the UL tax GW does on their pricing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/14/warhammer-the-old-world-orcs-bretonnians-tomb-kings-arrive/

The semi-quarterly Old World update has arrived.
Mainly some new art of Bretonnian, Tomb King and Orc units.
And a map update.

And a possibly hint at a release next year, which coincidentally is also the 40th year anniversary for WHFB.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

For some reason that update has got me so nostalgic for old warhammer fantasy. I just want some basic rear end humans fighting some of my basic rear end goblins. No godlike being centerpiece models or huge beasts. Just massed expendable armies led by a scrappy leader.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I wonder if all the old cities of sigmar units will get moved over to the old world or if they're going to give new sculpts for every unit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hihohe posted:

For some reason that update has got me so nostalgic for old warhammer fantasy. I just want some basic rear end humans fighting some of my basic rear end goblins. No godlike being centerpiece models or huge beasts. Just massed expendable armies led by a scrappy leader.

You might want to give Conquest: Last Argument of Kings a shot.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe they'll use the opportunity to give us a more allogatory Krox.

Inshallah

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Whipping skeleton horses is hilarious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lucinice posted:

I wonder if all the old cities of sigmar units will get moved over to the old world or if they're going to give new sculpts for every unit.

I imagine it's going to be rules for old warhammer playing the way it used to and a few special models and updates for the armies the designers like. I expect we'll get something like a mini range refresh for Bretonians and rereleases of the old warhammer forge pieces for empire and orks.

The new stuff will nominally be seperate due to round bases.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just want new Bretonnia models and better rules for cavalry. I like AoS but I will always miss the Old World and specially Bretonnia

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I hope they're able to make square bases/formations work out. I never got to play the old Fantasy game with my meager teenager's budget but that difference from 40k looked appealing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

radlum posted:

I just want new Bretonnia models and better rules for cavalry. I like AoS but I will always miss the Old World and specially Bretonnia

They were my first army op and I still have models from the Bretonian and Lizardmen starter set in 97 ish.

When they refreshed the wood elves after so long and the rumours about new kits started coming I was so hopeful but it never happened. Maybe they've had some tucked away for years like the eldar jet bikes?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm going to have a really hard time resisting buying some Tomb Kings.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Hoo boy, I was a bit worried they wouldn't bring back Tomb Kings when they said not every OG faction will be supported. But that one pic just made my day! (and relief that the handful of models I got from eBay aren't gonna be wasting away on a shelf forever)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/cgxSWEA

Daves to Darkness book leaked, most of it.

No big surprises, mostly sensible iteration on the old book.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I hope they're able to make square bases/formations work out. I never got to play the old Fantasy game with my meager teenager's budget but that difference from 40k looked appealing.

I have to imagine they will do almost exactly what Conquest: Last Argument of Kings does, and have relatively large square bases for formations that have circular slots for the individual models on round bases.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Geisladisk posted:

https://imgur.com/a/cgxSWEA

Daves to Darkness book leaked, most of it.

No big surprises, mostly sensible iteration on the old book.

That Gorebeast chariot rule seems open to abuse... do your fight, then move over them and, if there's 30 models in the unit you're looking at, uhh, 70 wounds caused. Hopefully that's just a horrible misreading by myself!

Edit VV thank you, my sanity can return

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 15, 2022

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Marmaduke! posted:

That Gorebeast chariot rule seems open to abuse... do your fight, then move over them and, if there's 30 models in the unit you're looking at, uhh, 70 wounds caused. Hopefully that's just a horrible misreading by myself!

d6 mortals for each model in this unit. ie, the chariot unit

peer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hihohe posted:

Get a load of this goon (it's warmaster 10 mm scale). Just hits ya right in the goblin greens.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm trying to make some dioramas with my miniatures. Here's a prototype setup:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have to imagine they will do almost exactly what Conquest: Last Argument of Kings does, and have relatively large square bases for formations that have circular slots for the individual models on round bases.

The war of the ring update to lotr did this too.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

peer posted:

d6 mortals for each model in this unit. ie, the chariot unit

Lol, thanks, I also got this wrong.

Glad to see the leaks. I was previously using my models as Ravagers, who got far worse, but they've now added another subfraction which rallies warriors/knights/chosen on a 4+. Since those are the units I'm all about, will probably switch to them.

I've got a decent array of heroes and 30 warriors already, but will definitely end up with some more knights and chosen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/16/sunday-preview-battle-beneath-the-gnarlwood-in-a-new-season-of-warhammer-underworlds

Next weekend sees pre-orders the new season of Underworlds, a bunch of previous warbands getting re-released without cards.
And the Son of Behemat battletome. But only for Japan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So are Bretonnians coming back to Age of Sigmar, or is that update from here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/14/warhammer-the-old-world-orcs-bretonnians-tomb-kings-arrive/ just a thing for something else Warhammer fantasy related?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I said come in! posted:

So are Bretonnians coming back to Age of Sigmar, or is that update from here https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/14/warhammer-the-old-world-orcs-bretonnians-tomb-kings-arrive/ just a thing for something else Warhammer fantasy related?

The Old World is a return to the original Warhammer Fantasy setting they've been promising for, like, five years now. They seem to be teasing that it will happen next year as a 40th anniversary thing, maybe?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

The Old World is a return to the original Warhammer Fantasy setting they've been promising for, like, five years now. They seem to be teasing that it will happen next year as a 40th anniversary thing, maybe?

please please please :pray: I got into Warhammer after these miniatures were long gone, the only way to get them now really is very overpriced auctions on ebay.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Getting new Bret sculpts is good for everyone, yeah. My original entry into Warhammer was a Brets vs Lizardman intro box when I was ten, and then a total failure at painting, and then getting back into the game around when Broken Realms began. Still miss the old Brets and I want to see a ghost version of them given how much the setting has talked about Hallost, the Afterlife of Heroes, which has managed to hold off Nagash's conquests since the Age of Myth.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
So I just got back from a 3 round event with my Sons. Had great games, great opponents, but went 0-3, and I really felt like I was outclassed, badly.

Now, that shouldn't be a surprise. Those were games 6-8 of AoS for me, and 3 of the games previously were 705/player, 2v2 games, so I know I have low literacy to what's out there.

However, I found SoB are...not for me. I don't feel like I have the tools I need to succeed, and I'm not saying they aren't there, only that I didn't feel like the Sons bring the playstyle I'm looking for.

I enjoy playing synergistic and flexible armies. My other army, OBR, felt much better at the 750 level than 2k of Sons did. I'm tempted by the relative simplicity and efficiency of Ironjawz.

Again, not calling the SoB trash, but they don't play in a way I find rewarding.

Going to try and see how OBR feel for me at 2k.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sons definitely aren’t a flexible force, no. They have to play very smart for all that each one is super tough because they’re more fragile than they seem and struggle with board control and dealing with tarpits.

E: Ossiarchs will do better if you want well oiled machine, but you’re gonna have to pay a lot of attention to when and where you use your commands.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

It actually has not even been three years. As it was announced in November 2019 so we are one month from the three year anniversary

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/

Old World New Warhammer posted:

this is a long way off. Years. More than two. Like three or more. Definitely not soon.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/16/sunday-preview-battle-beneath-the-gnarlwood-in-a-new-season-of-warhammer-underworlds

Next weekend sees pre-orders the new season of Underworlds, a bunch of previous warbands getting re-released without cards.
And the Son of Behemat battletome. But only for Japan.

Just in time for me to have ordered Nethermaze, they put the models on sale separately… Ah well, I guess I needed to get the actual game material at some point.

If they’re going to bring back older teams without cards, they could’ve gone further back than last season (edition? I dunno how many ‘seasons’ these models actually comprise). Hell, if they don’t need to worry about cards, they could do entire season packs with every team included in one box. It’ll probably sell like poo poo, aside from weirdo completionists that skipped over Underworlds for Warcry until now…

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
How's Underworlds Rivals as a format? Definitely have no desire to collect random warbands for competitive decks, but definitely tempted to grab a handful of warbands to paint up and have premade decks ready to roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

hoiyes posted:

How's Underworlds Rivals as a format? Definitely have no desire to collect random warbands for competitive decks, but definitely tempted to grab a handful of warbands to paint up and have premade decks ready to roll.

The game is a little more random, and swingy sometimes as a result, but good relaxed fun.