Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

In ten days greater mexico will rise suffer not the yankee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm thinking of trying Japan for my first game because I'm new-ish to the Victoria series and it sounds like a good opportunity to tend my little garden and cultivate my society in peace. Then go insane and form the Greater Japan Co=Prosperity Sphere in a tidal wave of blood and death.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ithle01 posted:

I'm thinking of trying Japan for my first game because I'm new-ish to the Victoria series and it sounds like a good opportunity to tend my little garden and cultivate my society in peace. Then go insane and form the Greater Japan Co=Prosperity Sphere in a tidal wave of blood and death.

So, Historic Japan. :haw:

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I cant find any info on this specifically and I fear the answer is no, but does anyone know if there will be a preload of Vicky 3 on steam before launch?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't think any paradox game ever had a pre-load. They tend to be relatively small in size. It's unlikely than Victoria 3 will be bigger than CK3.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I am thinking of playing Bohemia, Sardinia-Piedmont, or Korea for my first game.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
assuming day one MP works, my first games are Afghanistan followed by Jabal Shammar.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
also having watched the dev streams, I am really loving digging the warfare decisions, there is still a bunch of poo poo happening to keep track of, you just aren't in charge of the boring bullshit part of it.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think I'll be playing something in south America as my first nation. Perhaps Venezuela.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

karmicknight posted:

assuming day one MP works, my first games are Afghanistan followed by Jabal Shammar.

imperator day one MP was super super broken but Godspeed nonetheless

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The FRCA was my favourite playthrough in Vic 2 so I want to try it again in vic 3. From Panama to the Yucutan, nach. It's fun to crank up all the living standards laws really high and get hundreds of thousands of European immigrants like a miniature USA.

I'm also interested to see how things shape out with natural resource distribution, because in Vic 2 a lot of tags if they weren't big important western nations (and Japan) they tended to not have the right trade goods for a stable domestic economy. Like, if Vic 3 Madagascar or New Zealand have the resources to meet most of their needs without extra conquering, I want to give a tall playthrough as one of those a shot.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Wooper posted:

I think I'll be playing something in south America as my first nation. Perhaps Venezuela.

Hell yeah same

Although I think the "Learn the game" start option has recommended nations so I guess it makes sense to pick one of those

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

if mp works my first game will be prussia or austria

if it dosen't I'm actually quite interested in what playing as australia will be like

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
for massively singleplayer Japan seems interesting and there is always Brazil.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Red Bones posted:

The FRCA was my favourite playthrough in Vic 2 so I want to try it again in vic 3. From Panama to the Yucutan, nach. It's fun to crank up all the living standards laws really high and get hundreds of thousands of European immigrants like a miniature USA.

I'm also interested to see how things shape out with natural resource distribution, because in Vic 2 a lot of tags if they weren't big important western nations (and Japan) they tended to not have the right trade goods for a stable domestic economy. Like, if Vic 3 Madagascar or New Zealand have the resources to meet most of their needs without extra conquering, I want to give a tall playthrough as one of those a shot.

Apparently one of V3’s key advances is that a state can have multiple different resources instead of one resource per state, so small nations should be a lot more viable than before (though not necessarily self-sufficient, especially in terms of industrial resources).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

First run will probably be Belgium because that’s how I learned Vicky 2.

After that I have UK to shoot for world conquest (or optionally try to go communist), revanchist France, crush-the-conferderacy US, Germany, Italy and Qing runs lined up.

It’s such a fascinating period. Paradox seems to have backed off from the fantasy mods since Aztec Invasion, which is a shame because a War of the Worlds DLC where you’re on the receiving end of colonisation could be really interesting.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's a historical game about society and economics and politics, sci-fi primitive genocidal aliens will break immersion and be a detriment to the game.

Now what we really need is the rise of the Great Old Ones. Dissatisfied citizens sell their souls and bodies to the one below, the depraved elites create an Esotheric Order of Dagon, nations are transformed into slaves of the incomprehensible gods.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'll probably start with the Kingdom of Hannover, to see if I can avoid its historical fate (being crushed and annexed by Prussia).

I can't possibly do any worse than the Kingdom's last king

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I will probably start as Persia or Russia.

Is corruption represented in the game somehow? After all, this is the time period when spoil systems were removed and actually having qualified civil servants became a cause for reformers.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you have different methods of appointing civil servants.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Beefeater1980 posted:

First run will probably be Belgium because that’s how I learned Vicky 2.

After that I have UK to shoot for world conquest (or optionally try to go communist), revanchist France, crush-the-conferderacy US, Germany, Italy and Qing runs lined up.

It’s such a fascinating period. Paradox seems to have backed off from the fantasy mods since Aztec Invasion, which is a shame because a War of the Worlds DLC where you’re on the receiving end of colonisation could be really interesting.

The endboss of Victoria is the invisible hand of the free market, so if they ever make silly DLC it should be a literal invisible hand knocking poo poo over

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

The endboss of Victoria is the invisible hand of the free market, so if they ever make silly DLC it should be a literal invisible hand knocking poo poo over
Realistically, the invisible hand is gonna come along with most DLC before getting shooed off again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Is corruption represented in the game somehow? After all, this is the time period when spoil systems were removed and actually having qualified civil servants became a cause for reformers.
I'm not sure exactly about "corruption" but Tax Efficiency is a part of the equation in that if as say, China, you have 1 million pops in each province, you dont actually get to tax all 1 million of them because your bureaucrats are not that good.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If I remember correctly there's two forms of that. Tax Capacity/Efficiency is your ability to collect taxes, IE anyone outside the % being collected just isn't paying taxes. But there's also Tax Waste, which can result in a portion of the taxes you do collect not going to the government.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There was also certainly something about nepotism in terms of laws, maybe not spelled directly.

I feel that Victoria 3 tries to represent things like that not as clear values but rather as a result of systems. So I guess a corrupt government will not have some sort of corruption value but rather entrenched powerful Interest Groups and specific laws like controlled courts or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ilitarist posted:

It's a historical game about society and economics and politics, sci-fi primitive genocidal aliens will break immersion and be a detriment to the game.

Now what we really need is the rise of the Great Old Ones. Dissatisfied citizens sell their souls and bodies to the one below, the depraved elites create an Esotheric Order of Dagon, nations are transformed into slaves of the incomprehensible gods.

Porque no los dos? :v:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zeron posted:

If I remember correctly there's two forms of that. Tax Capacity/Efficiency is your ability to collect taxes, IE anyone outside the % being collected just isn't paying taxes. But there's also Tax Waste, which can result in a portion of the taxes you do collect not going to the government.

I think one of the interest group maluses is reduced taxation income. Probably landowners or rural folk.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
In two days we'll have just a week left.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ilitarist posted:

There was also certainly something about nepotism in terms of laws, maybe not spelled directly.

Hereditary bureaucrats as a civil service law I think

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
As a boring person, my first game will be the USA. Sink or swim time, starting small and manageable is for suckers!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

guidoanselmi posted:

Hereditary bureaucrats as a civil service law I think

Yeah, IIRC that generates Bureaucracy less efficiently but the Landowners like it.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Popoto posted:

In two days we'll have just a week left.

According to someone on reddit that's when we'll start getting previews from outside of Paradox too.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
On an unrelated note the Paradoxplaza subreddit is starting to resemble the forums when it comes to whinging.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kaza42 posted:

As a boring person, my first game will be the USA. Sink or swim time, starting small and manageable is for suckers!

What do you mean, how could you possibly not succeed as a big country. Large countries are the easiest with the isolated US being the least risk/most resources of all!
Small countries would only be easy in that nothing you do changes much, and you don't have much resources to fail at changing it with either. (At least in vicky 1+2)

Industrial powerhouse Colombia is the only admirable endeavour, bah!

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 16, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think they've mentioned that the US was one of the recommended starts for new players because they'll have a relatively easy road through the game, while also being given enough to do that it will still be interesting.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i dont think they'll have anything like this for a long time, but it would be nice if some of the expansions down the line add poo poo like the Great Depression, so the USA has to potentially manage that massive crisis as its endgame after early game transitioning to midgame with the civil war

obv dont think it makes sense to focus on before release

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It does seem weird to force in the Great Depression when the entire point of the game is, like, avoiding that sort of thing. Feels like it would be better to have that sort of thing to come about naturally.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Hellioning posted:

It does seem weird to force in the Great Depression when the entire point of the game is, like, avoiding that sort of thing. Feels like it would be better to have that sort of thing to come about naturally.

yeah, the ideal is there'll be some sort of system that leads to that. i imagine one of the key expansions in the next few years will be around financial services and the like, to start building things that can represent it, but also be Fun and Gamified.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I think they've mentioned that the US was one of the recommended starts for new players because they'll have a relatively easy road through the game, while also being given enough to do that it will still be interesting.

Prussia also looked pretty easy from the stream. Research nationalism, and get gifted a large number of very rich provinces automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hellioning posted:

This is one of those struggles with Paradox history games, where the prescience of the player lets them avoid all the most interesting history by simply not doing the thing that caused it to happen in the first place. I suppose you could develop some sort of system that encourages the same kind of behaviour that led to the great depression but still strikes me as something a savvy player would just optimize their way around to avoid having to deal with the consequences. It's why I always feel like these games are at their most interesting before getting good at them. I think part of the reason why so many people like Victoria 2 so much is that the game is so opaque that "getting good at it" is a bigger climb than other Paradox games so you stay in that "good enough to not instantly lose, not good enough to always win" zone of ideal gameplay for longer.