Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Also kind of bummed that the Psyker basically just has one 'power' set. Part of the appeal of the Vermintide wizard was the variety in powers that aren't really there anymore. It's just popping heads and knockdowns.

there's some additional powers tied to the force rod, mind bullets and a targeted AOE explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Floppychop posted:

Yeah, in the 40k universe seeing a space marine is incredibly rare. Many people (GW included) seem to forget that.

Especially in the dregs of an underhive like in Darktide.

I will truly be shocked if they pass up the opportunity to have the crew fight a crippled chaos dreadnought or something as cool as a boss, but not disappointed I don't guess

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Right, I'm officially pissed at this game.

I'm already running a 3rd party program because fatshark couldn't be arsed to add mouse invert-y to their second beta 6 weeks away from full release. I had an issue yesterday with upgrading my graphics drivers that made the game go from solid 60fps to not being able to crack 30. Rolled back the drivers, was able to play a couple hours.

Fire it up again today (same 'old' drivers) and it's doing 30fps again, gpu utilization at 98%. No matter what option I gently caress around with, can't break 30. I'm done trying to troubleshoot this. gently caress.

Mind sharing what program you are using for the invert? I’ve played with a controller to get around that.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Someone mentioned itt to set the worker threads to 8, and that made things pretty stable for me after having crashed almost every other time during a mission
Since there are a lot of people here who didn't play Vermintide, VT2's launch was pretty rocky. The game was full of bugs, including ones affecting weapon stats and the combat system. It took quite a long time for most of them to be ironed out. Always a bit risky to judge from a beta, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if Darktide's release was pretty buggy as well.

It's manling umgak, dawri.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 16, 2022

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pharmaskittle posted:

I will truly be shocked if they pass up the opportunity to have the crew fight a crippled chaos dreadnought or something as cool as a boss, but not disappointed I don't guess

I thought perhaps we might run into a blighthauler or two after seeing the lil' Nurgle techno demon things but it would feel pretty weird to fight a living acid-puking tank armed with a multi melta and missile launcher and living through a single hit of anything it could do. I just don't think a regular human man, even in peak physical condition and maximum irascible stubbornness, could just tough out being hit with a 10000 degree metal vaporizing beam cannon.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Orv posted:

This is admittedly fairly flimsy but given that despite their massive post-launch support for VT2 they never added new heroes - though obviously that would be a phenomenal undertaking - I sort of doubt they’ll do it here. That coupled with them parsing it as “Veteran: Sharpshooter” and “Zealot: Preacher” makes me relatively confident that setup is correct.

Just to follow up on this way late but I did some more digging around and it seems like your suspicion was right. They just decided to be confusing and changed the wording to be "archetype: class."

So there's still only the archetypes and classes that are in beta at launch but they're adding more classes (ie, subclasses) after and will maybe charge for them who knows

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They somehow still haven't hotfixed the #NAME bug on the VT2 chaos wastes maps, and that's been months, I'm fully expecting it to be ridden with bugs on release.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zephro posted:

Since there are a lot of people here who didn't play Vermintide, VT2's launch was pretty rocky. The game was full of bugs, including ones affecting weapon stats and the combat system. It took quite a long time for most of them to be ironed out. Always a bit risky to judge from a beta, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if the release game was pretty buggy as well.

It's manling umgak, dawri.

Considering it's the same company, you'd hope they'd at least learned something from that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I thought perhaps we might run into a blighthauler or two after seeing the lil' Nurgle techno demon things but it would feel pretty weird to fight a living acid-puking tank armed with a multi melta and missile launcher and living through a single hit of anything it could do. I just don't think a regular human man, even in peak physical condition and maximum irascible stubbornness, could just tough out being hit with a 10000 degree metal vaporizing beam cannon.

It's called an invulnerable save, not a plausible save. :colbert:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

it's a telegraphed attack you dodge

what's with all the DBZ-style power level posting? a normal human can't reap poxwalkers like wheat in 40K either. c'mon now.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I was watching some gameplay footage after hearing good things about this game. It seemed to me that the color pallet is very dark on dark on dark in the footage I saw. Does that extend to the whole game? Maybe I just saw some dark level? I will probably pass if the whole game is in various shades of grey. It's just a personal preference, I don't mean to knock it for everyone

Soundtrack is banging though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Space marines are so rare outside of seasoned imperial guard armies, that when they see one for the first time they literally fall to their knees in prayer because to them they’re seeing angels for the first time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Considering it's the same company, you'd hope they'd at least learned something from that.

Fatshark doesn't really "learn" per se. They make some really fun games, but boy do they stumble through it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got a chance to try the force staff this morning. It's... interesting. It feels clunky and slow, overlaps in resource use with headpopping, and the fireballs are pretty anemic. And yet... it's a true ranged AoE option, and allows your teammates to hoover up ammo without bothering you. Ammo hasn't been an immense concern so far IME, so that benefit is minor, but having an AoE option at all is a pretty big difference. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I prefer the shotgun, I think. But if it gets buffed in strength before release then it could easily become busted.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BigHead posted:

I was watching some gameplay footage after hearing good things about this game. It seemed to me that the color pallet is very dark on dark on dark in the footage I saw. Does that extend to the whole game? Maybe I just saw some dark level? I will probably pass if the whole game is in various shades of grey. It's just a personal preference, I don't mean to knock it for everyone

nobody knows? there's a thing on the mission screen about a "power outage" but nothing to make it clear what that means. previous footage isn't this dark but it's impossible to know if it's because of a change to the game since then or some sort of temporary mission modifier or what.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Using cover as Ogryn is very hard :v:
And this makes level 3+ missions very hard because getting pinned by a ranged pack is very possible.
Also Ogryn has no blue bar easy recovery, unlike Preacher.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

BigHead posted:

I was watching some gameplay footage after hearing good things about this game. It seemed to me that the color pallet is very dark on dark on dark in the footage I saw. Does that extend to the whole game?

As far as the levels in the beta test go, yes, they're all very dark.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Fatshark doesn't really "learn" per se. They make some really fun games, but boy do they stumble through it.

I envision their office day involving a lot of pratfalls, shananigans and people almost falling off precipices while their arms flail in desperate balance as they screech "Woop, woop, woop!". Plus some programming.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Finally got a chance to try the force staff this morning. It's... interesting. It feels clunky and slow, overlaps in resource use with headpopping, and the fireballs are pretty anemic. And yet... it's a true ranged AoE option, and allows your teammates to hoover up ammo without bothering you. Ammo hasn't been an immense concern so far IME, so that benefit is minor, but having an AoE option at all is a pretty big difference. Is it worth it? Tough to say. I prefer the shotgun, I think. But if it gets buffed in strength before release then it could easily become busted.

It's worth it if you have a buddy who can pick up the slack on popping special heads via whatever methodology when you can't cool down in a hurry from staff use.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Man-Stopper perk does what now?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Someone mentioned itt to set the worker threads to 8, and that made things pretty stable for me after having crashed almost every other time during a mission

I don't even know what the gently caress this IS lol

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

S.J. posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress this IS lol

It's in the launcher settings not the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I think it's supposed to do AOE damage on headshots but yeah.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's in the launcher settings not the game.

Sorry, I know where it is, just not what it does or what the point of changing it is

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Anti-Hero posted:

Mind sharing what program you are using for the invert? I’ve played with a controller to get around that.

Check my post history in the thread, I linked it a few pages ago (sorry, mobile)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

it's a telegraphed attack you dodge

what's with all the DBZ-style power level posting? a normal human can't reap poxwalkers like wheat in 40K either. c'mon now.

Yeah no kidding. My teams average about a thousand kills every mission. But no see we can't have more fun enemies because we're "regular humans*" and the ~*loooorrrrreeee*~

*One arguably regular human, and one mutant ogre man, and one psychic, and one psycho fanatic in a setting where being psycho fanatic enough can in fact bestow super powers

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

apostateCourier posted:

It's worth it if you have a buddy who can pick up the slack on popping special heads via whatever methodology when you can't cool down in a hurry from staff use.

Yeah, it felt pretty mediocre to bad as sole psyker but with a second psyker it actually felt pretty great.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Check my post history in the thread, I linked it a few pages ago (sorry, mobile)

You are a savior! I put in about 4 hours of the beta with a controller, which works find but KBM is my preference!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Char posted:

And this makes level 3+ missions very hard because getting pinned by a ranged pack is very possible.

I've been using improved toughness regen aura and I feel OK on difficulty 3. Not sure if the aura affects yourself or just your team mates but it should be a big force multiplier if you're sticking with the team. I've gotten a lot better about knowing when to hang back and knowing when to go in, including knowing where I'm going to go to take cover after a charge. Usually there's a wall you can duck behind somewhere if you can't recover your toughness by slashing everything you just got into melee with.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Floppychop posted:

I'm guessing that crits make the bullets pierce through targets - at least in Vermintide "cleave" is Fatshark for a weapon's melee swing carrying momentum and doing damage past the first target it connects with.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Char posted:

I've been finding that it's better to play ogryn as minigun class with good AOE melee rather than a berserker like the zealot. the ripper gun can shoot pretty much anything you can see, and ranged enemies will put their heads down even if they aren't killed. let enemies come to you, and use charge as much as a positioning tool as an AOE stun.

there's a level 30 feat that makes hitting enemies with your charge refill toughness, but obviously that's no solution for this weekend.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

man the toughness regen when an enemy is near for Zealot is so loving good. The before/after unlocking that first feat really felt night and day.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, it felt pretty mediocre to bad as sole psyker but with a second psyker it actually felt pretty great.

In my case rolling with a veteran with excellent aim and target priority did the trick. Since there is one less person eating ammo, the rest of the team is able to shoot more which solves a lot of problems.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Hey lemme see if the Ogryn doesn't suffer from a speed penalty when carrying things"

https://i.imgur.com/Hje0Fta.mp4

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Is running out of bullets a common problem you're finding?

Granted I haven't tried Veteran yet.

Also I'm fighting against my VT2 instincts to get stuck in with melee for preference which probably helps conserve ammo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Usually depends on how trigger happy your squadmates are. There sure are a lot of Veterans around who just love dumping half a dozen shots into each and every poxwalker, and as a result hoover up every last bit of ammo you can find.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

"Hey lemme see if the Ogryn doesn't suffer from a speed penalty when carrying things"

https://i.imgur.com/Hje0Fta.mp4

The Ogryn does not in fact suffer movement penalties while carrying heavy stuff.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Is running out of bullets a common problem you're finding?

Granted I haven't tried Veteran yet.

Also I'm fighting against my VT2 instincts to get stuck in with melee for preference which probably helps conserve ammo.

Pre-staff I was constantly running out of ammo, very conscious of my 3 bars of stamina in melee. Also sometimes a special needs to die now, not in two seconds.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the ripper gun is very ammo inefficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For those that played the weekend how's the fun per minute (FPM) compared to vermintide2? is it mostly a fresh coat of paint making it feel new again?