Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Really need this season to end with Tulane beating LSU in a bowl.
LSU would be too cowardly to show up but I need it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ehud posted:

the last two years my mindset about sports has shifted dramatically

if my team is poo poo and not fun to watch I just go do something else

Yea. I watch very little sports now. I just follow along and watch scores. If I can catch like half a game I’ll watch it, but that’s all I have time for. My life is better for it I think.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Heupel has to be the front runner for coach of year right? Go back to how bad the 2020 season was to the Pruitt firing and all the transfers (24 I think) to today it is almost a miracle run. I don’t know how he has done it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

nate fisher posted:

Heupel has to be the front runner for coach of year right? Go back to how bad the 2020 season was to the Pruitt firing and all the transfers (24 I think) to today it is almost a miracle run. I don’t know how he has done it

Right now for sure, though there’s still time to finish 8-4

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It is quite exciting to think that all of Heupel’s commits are currently still in high school and he’s doing all this with Pruitt’s mercenaries

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

NickRoweFillea posted:

It is quite exciting to think that all of Heupel’s commits are currently still in high school and he’s doing all this with Pruitt’s mercenaries

What I’m hearing is we have no idea if he can build his own roster

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I'd say it was Leipold, but he needs to start winning again.

Babers also has Syracuse undefeated right now, which, :wow:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

You joke but Sumlin is right there as a guy who came in and had immediate success with someone else’s recruits and then couldn’t build a roster himself.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Actually I wasn’t

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'd say it was Leipold, but he needs to start winning again.

Babers also has Syracuse undefeated right now, which, :wow:

Don't forget Sonny Dykes either.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and Chip Kelly lol

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't forget Sonny Dykes either.

And Bret Bielema

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
AP Poll out

General Dog posted:

Right now for sure, though there’s still time to finish 8-4

Show me the four losses in Tennessee's back half lol

At most Georgia and Kentucky.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You joke but Sumlin is right there as a guy who came in and had immediate success with someone else’s recruits and then couldn’t build a roster himself.

Also:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

It’s more his roster than you’d think. Since 2020 there had been 35 scholarship players transfer out of the program. The majority of starters are all kids that transferred in or are from last years class. There’s still some Pruitt kids around, sure, but I’d bet that it’s more Heupel kids at this point.

We’re also not even at our scholarship limit.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

What I'm hearing is a lot of coaches should win CotY.

drat football has been great this year, even with OU's own failures or because of them?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Both Wake Forest and Tulane are ranked in the coaches poll at the same time. That’s gotta be the first time that’s ever happened

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

gophers make me sad but I am extremely happy for the vols, breaking losing streaks against hated rivals is so sweet

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

YOLOsubmarine posted:

In all fairness to Heupel he has sort of rebuilt this roster (starter wise but not depth wise) already using the transfer portal to replace all the players who left for places like Oklahoma and even Bama when Pruitt got canned. To me the real question is can he recruit elite D and build depth that will help keep the D fresh going into the 2nd half. The biggest downside to having such a fast offense is you lose the TOS battle a lot.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I've been half tuned in to Gators games for years. It's a mix of watching better teams, spending time with my wife and kids, and also just doing things I enjoy more with my increasingly rare free time.

Heupel is doing well at UT but that's a sloppy rear end Bama squad and there were 17 penalties on the Tide. I still think Georgia thumps both of them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Omne posted:

Both Wake Forest and Tulane are ranked in the coaches poll at the same time. That’s gotta be the first time that’s ever happened

Looks like it was 1979, week 11.

Oh, Coaches' poll. My bad

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Speaking of transfers, I am happy Henry To'oto'o took a big part of that historical rear end whipping.

You ran to the bullies when poo poo got hard and then got steamrolled for the most points in 115 years.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Soul Glo posted:

Speaking of transfers, I am happy Henry To'oto'o took a big part of that historical rear end whipping.

You ran to the bullies when poo poo got hard and then got steamrolled for the most points in 115 years.

Didn't he drop an easy pick as well?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

AP Poll out

Show me the four losses in Tennessee's back half lol

At most Georgia and Kentucky.

Vols at #3, unreal

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

nate fisher posted:

In all fairness to Heupel he has sort of rebuilt this roster (starter wise but not depth wise) already using the transfer portal to replace all the players who left for places like Oklahoma and even Bama when Pruitt got canned. To me the real question is can he recruit elite D and build depth that will help keep the D fresh going into the 2nd half. The biggest downside to having such a fast offense is you lose the TOS battle a lot.

I’m mostly just loving with y’all, he’s obviously doing a lot of things right. My biggest question going forward would be whether Hooker is really special or if Heupel can find guys who run the offense that well year after year.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Please forgive me if this was already posted, I don't remember seeing it but there were a lot of tweets:

https://twitter.com/_joeyhayden/status/1581422723884290048?s=20&t=DborUmTmWL38Vhe7a3nDYQ

The 'Bama lineman's reaction is great. "Did...you see that too? No? 'Kay."

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 16, 2022

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I root for Bama but my hat's off to the Vols, great game (one of the best I've watched in recent years despite all the painful Tide miscues). That offense is truly fearsome, and I thought the coaching was good, mixed in enough runs to make the pass plays that much more effective. And despite the athletes on Bama's D they just couldn't keep Hyatt from breaking free and getting separation.

Of course I still hope for Bama to run the table and beat, hopefully the Vols, in the SECCG and win the natty. But I'm not super optimistic for any of that given how the play of the team just looks.. lacking in COMPOSURE, even at home (such as vs. Aggies), and the penalties are just an objective measure of that, the turnovers are another. And that is at least in part on Nick, I'm not sure how you prepare young kids to not be rattled in loud hostile road stadium environments, but that's his job and he seemed to be better at it in the past. Still the team is loaded with talent.

If none of that happens and Bama loses again along the way making this all moot, I hope the Vols beat Georgia and win a natty.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

This is how Ifeel about Jermaine Burton too. Left UGA. Excuse he wasn’t getting any touches and felt he was the poo poo, it was a big time money year for him especially after seeing the first round talent at WR, and he has been rear end all year. He would have been WR1a here and especially with the injuries we have had he would be a linchpin.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

All this is a setup for Tennessee to poo poo the bed vs Georgia in two weeks

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

not sure losing to the #1 team in the country at their home field qualifies as making GBS threads the bed tbqh

esp when the pundits pegged your ceiling as 8-4

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PostNouveau posted:

Coaches poll

I kinda root for UCLA now just to continue a weird streak that probably me and two dudes in Mobile over the age of 70 would notice.

In 1997 (25 years ago), Arizona faced South Alabama in the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. USA had them on the ropes, but couldn't hold against a press and Mike Bibby & co. went on a run to win, then went on to win the title that year.

Earlier this year, USA's football team had another Pac-12 team on the ropes but couldn't close them out. Seeing UCLA win a title would be an extremely weird point of pride.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

All this Tennessee cockiness is great for the inevitable 4 point loss to Kentucky followed by a 28 point dubbing by Georgia.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GD_American posted:

I kinda root for UCLA now just to continue a weird streak that probably me and two dudes in Mobile over the age of 70 would notice.

In 1997 (25 years ago), Arizona faced South Alabama in the first round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. USA had them on the ropes, but couldn't hold against a press and Mike Bibby & co. went on a run to win, then went on to win the title that year.

Earlier this year, USA's football team had another Pac-12 team on the ropes but couldn't close them out. Seeing UCLA win a title would be an extremely weird point of pride.

the fact that the USA Jags were, by far, the only opponents to actually give UCLA trouble this year rules

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Yates posted:

All this Tennessee cockiness is great for the inevitable 4 point loss to Kentucky followed by a 28 point dubbing by Georgia.

Far from cocky and we have been through enough to know that poo poo can come crashing down anytime. Just let us enjoy this moment.

I got to experience a Tennessee BCSNC so if it comes crashing life goes on. Also only 2 losses plus wins against Bama, UF, and LSU in year 2? That’s not crashing at all, that is a great year.

Honestly while I’m worried about UK in more worried about the away game at SC.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 16, 2022

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

nate fisher posted:

Honestly while I’m worried about UK in more worried about the away game at SC.

While I breathe I hope. Would make my season to gently caress up Tennessee's but that would require Rattler remembering he's a good quarterback.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I don’t know if Michigan should really be ranked over the Vols rn..

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Since Kirby Smart called for Justin Fields to run a fake punt in the 2018 SECCG:

Bama: 43-5
Georgia: 42-5

(technically 41-5, but I'm calling 2020 vs. Vandy a win)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I rewatched it and I think the no targeting call on that last ISU fumble play was correct. Defender comes in with his facemask up and it sure looks like the forcible contact was initiated with the shoulder to the shoulder/arm area of the QB. The impact to that area is what knocks the ball out.

Best video I could find online:

https://twitter.com/bjfk94/status/1581370646491435008?s=46&t=_IpoAjyDffO4ygntdHmz-Q

Oh and from the other side

https://twitter.com/texasfootball/status/1581672912083640320?s=46&t=_IpoAjyDffO4ygntdHmz-Q

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 16, 2022

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To add content besides Tennessee stuff, I am shocked that LSU handled UF. Playing both of them I would have swore UF was the better team. Maybe UF should have demanded a noon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Florida's defense is somehow worse than Grantham's and AR-15 is hit or miss, so there ya go.