Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

hello my lovely friends, it's a quiet, calm and rainy Sunday evening, so let's share funny or interesting or cool stories of things we did or experienced while beyond belief shitfaced high or drunk, like I'm talking irresponsibly high or drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

hello friends i just got a wee pup of undetermined name

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Elephant Ambush

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
a dog resting its chin on you is one of the best things ever

i hope you find a good name for that super cute pupper

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Robot Made of Meat

Elephant Ambush posted:

Those don't look very good

They look frighteningly not very good.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

a wee pup of undetermined name

That's Fluffs McGee, how do you not know this?

There's a lot to teach pups. Hope you read a bit about how best to teach potty training, no barking training, and no destructive behavior training. Best of luck to you both, the first few months are the hardest!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Robot Made of Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Good pup. Let the chewing begin!

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

what an unbelievably cute dog, congrats!

Manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:five:

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Baby! :kimchi:

Ass-penny

A++ would pet this dog

Goons Are Gifts

That's a perfect dog post it in AI and TFR and everywhere you post and everywhere byob has an outpost which technically everywhere

Goons Are Gifts

Goons Are Great posted:

hello my lovely friends, it's a quiet, calm and rainy Sunday evening, so let's share funny or interesting or cool stories of things we did or experienced while beyond belief shitfaced high or drunk, like I'm talking irresponsibly high or drunk

I'm gonna start the other day I was super super high and I started dreaming but wasn't asleep yet so I mostly acted out the stuff I thought was a dream, it kinda was a lucid dream because I knew it was a dream but at the same it wasn't actually a dream so technically it also wasn't

Either way in that dream I dreamed I was eating Nutella out of the jar and dipped cookies in it, too, and miraculously did so without spraying Nutella all over my face and hands and table at which point I realized this is a dream for that is impossible and well I woke up and realized it wasn't a dream at all and I really was eating Nutella out of the jar but the dream past of that sequence didn't happen which means I didn't do a miracle and was covered in Nutella I mean it was everywhere really EVERYWHERE and my room mates got angry not only because I ate like two month's of Nutella storage in one go but also because it was everywhere I mean I got done on the loving ceiling I have no idea how

Goons Are Gifts

Thank you for listening to my Nutella adventurei still think about this sometimes because be aware that I did all of that without having a spoon so the eating out of jar part was exciting in of itself already

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I just got into a very lively conversation with the grocery store private cop that's walking around with a loaded gun. Suffice it to say, he was not ready for me asking him very simple question about why he's carrying a loaded gun. He ran the gamut from saying it's for active shooters in the parking lot, to saying it to deter theft in the aisles, and even gave an example of a lady caught stealing something earlier today. For which his deterrent didn't work, and he didn't use his gun for. He told me he was getting defensive because I was asking him questions, he got visibly upset and nervous and when I asked about his bullet proof vest and whether his chest camera was on he asked, "do you want me to turn it on?" I said no. He said too bad. I told him I do not consent to being recorded six times, he told me he has to record every incident when he feels unsafe. lol

After some more back and forth he asked if I wanted him to turn the camera off and I told him that I had already explained that to him a half dozen times.

He said his main reason for being present is to stop shooters in the parking lot, I asked why he isn't in the parking lot then. He said it's to stop theft in the store, I asked how many gun-related incidents have happened at that store and he said none. He said it's for deterrent. I said, so you're threatening someone, who may just be trying to feed their family with a loaded weapon. He said he's retired deputy and has the training to not do anything stupid. I said there's tons of examples of fully trained deputies who do stupid things in the heat of the moment.

He accused me of gaslighting him. He said, "if you don't like it, you can go vote this November." I said the upcoming elections have nothing to do with the grocery store's private security. He said, those election affect everything in society. I said, "those are elections for public office, bro. They have nothing to do with HyVee hiring private security." Who's gaslighting who. I asked his name and he quickly asked me mine, so I gave him a card for my art website lol.

He told me I wasn't being nice to him.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Ohtori Akio
cw: gun violence mass shootings domestic terrorism

One key, if grim, aspect of armed private security in America is that armor comfortable enough to wear on a daily basis as private security is trivial to defeat with rifle ammunition, and the kinds of pistol used by private security (9mm glocks or sigs with normal ammo) are very achievable to totally defeat with civilian-accessible (but extremely uncomfortable) body armor. This was seen to tragic end at the Buffalo shooting.

So, armed private security are not a good way to prevent domestic terrorism.

Anyways hello byob.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i harvested the first of my marijuana plants that was in the ground today. it was large enough that i had to do it in two sections. today is family dinner day and tonite is work so i don't really have time to trim it but my shed already smells really good.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ohtori Akio posted:

So, armed private security are not a good way to prevent domestic terrorism.
To be fair, *most* mass shootings aren't so well planned as to have high-end body-armor.

So it's more of a problem that armed private security care more about their own lives than their jobs so they typically will avoid getting into a gunfight with someone whose gun is bigger (or even someone whose gun is smaller *and* who has less armor). Either way, the conclusion is accurate.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Also, didn't mean to derail the thread, just needed to get some ideas out of my head as I just got home from shopping.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Ohtori Akio

roomforthetuna posted:

To be fair, *most* mass shootings aren't so well planned as to have high-end body-armor.

So it's more of a problem that armed private security care more about their own lives than their jobs so they typically will avoid getting into a gunfight with someone whose gun is bigger (or even someone whose gun is smaller *and* who has less armor). Either way, the conclusion is accurate.

It is really exceptional that Aaron Salter Jr. likely knew his weapon was unlikely to penetrate the terrorist's armor, and chose to stand and fight anyways.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Oh my god welcome home Sammy Davis Jr Jr

Robot Made of Meat

What part of evolution resulted in dogs making human hearts melt on sight?

Asking for a human friend.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Robot Made of Meat posted:

What part of evolution resulted in dogs making human hearts melt on sight?

Asking for a human friend.

This was actually part of their domestication. As dogs came to rely on humans for their food and security evolution naturally lent towards tthe ones most appealing to human emotions as these were the ones we were most willing to look after :eng101:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Robot Made of Meat

Rarity posted:

This was actually part of their domestication. As dogs came to rely on humans for their food and security evolution naturally lent towards tthe ones most appealing to human emotions as these were the ones we were most willing to look after :eng101:

I am printing out this post to show Cosmo in the hopes that he will stop pissing me off by being so stunningly (and adorably) annoying.

Saoshyant

Posting to test new av thingy

Also posting because I just took a funny pic of my pup. So, she had surgery, is wearing a cone, but keeps insisting that when we sit down on the sofa for dinner and TV she must be covered by the blanket (as she usually is).

This lasted for some minutes until she realized we hadn't shared anything with her yet, so she must make her presence known:

"Oi! Beans, ok?? I'm staring at you"

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Saoshyant posted:

Posting to test new av thingy

Also posting because I just took a funny pic of my pup. So, she had surgery, is wearing a cone, but keeps insisting that when we sit down on the sofa for dinner and TV she must be covered by the blanket (as she usually is).

This lasted for some minutes until she realized we hadn't shared anything with her yet, so she must make her presence known:

"Oi! Beans, ok?? I'm staring at you"

How cute!

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Rarity posted:

Saoshyant

Give whatever this fellow wants RIGHT NOW

This is totally not a hardwired evolution thing in my brain! I just think they are great and deserve whatever they are wishing for.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Saoshyant posted:

Give whatever this fellow wants RIGHT NOW

This is totally not a hardwired evolution thing in my brain! I just think they are great and deserve whatever they are wishing for.

Hahaha she gets treats non stop, as she did for this photo op

but it's true, she looks at me sometimes and I'm like okay, yeah, have a treat for being cute

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
My Snapple cap said that the statue of liberty has a size 879 sandal. I assume that's US.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_ajlz-cVQ

Saoshyant

:eyepop:

sb hermit

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Good pup. Let the chewing begin!

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's neat that our brains got tricked into thinking all babies are cute, not just our own

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Shifty Nipples

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Oh I forgot, I took my car to a mechanic the other day. Baby needed an oil change, but was also throwing an engine code and I really felt like it was a spark plug misfire, there was a stall when cranking. I don't have tools to do the plugs myself so I figured I'd knock out a few things at once at the shop including having them reattach my inside driver's door handle to the hook that runs to the latch release. It's been forever FOREVER since that door handle stopped working (I had the door panel off to replace a speaker and never reattached the door handle, oops). So I had been rolling down the window to get out.

Yes, I know. I procrastinate badly.

Anywho, the mechanic called me and told me the air filter looked like it had never been replaced, probably true. And there was a lot of dirt and debris in there. I asked him to fix that. Then I walked back to the shop. I think he thought I had gone home because he looked surprised when I showed back up. He started running down a long list of poo poo that needed to be done that was utter horseshit. I guess he thought I was a rube. He said that he looked at my door handle and the handle was broken so he had to replace it with a brand new chrome one (what?). I walked right to the car and reached in and found the same door handle there. I just stared him straight in the eye while I explained that I know what the issue is, just reattaching the hook, and he walked back what he was saying and he said, "oh yea I guess that's why you were looking at me like whaaaaat. I didn't even think that it may just be the hook".

He said that they had to run a $100 diagnostic on the engine to find out if it was the plugs and blah blah, so I just quickly started asking him questions about everything he was saying, you could tell he wasn't expecting pushback. And he was like, "you know what? Actually everything pretty much looks good here. There's a slight leak in your vacuum hose but nothing major, there's an error in the tranny (that I was aware of). You know, I'll just delete that diagnostic charge and I'll even take your door apart and see if I can reattach it. Said it would be 0.7 hours of labor at $200/hr to do the door.

His shop phone rang right then and he walked away and I grabbed his little tally sheet that he had left in the car showing all the poo poo that they were just about to charge me for and I went down item by item adding up all the horseshit while he stood in front of me on the phone watching me. He never expected me to see this paper, he thought I was at home.

After his call, he said he wasn't going to charge for the door, or the diagnostic or this or that. I said, you're going to charge me for the oil change and replacing the air filter. He was like, "yea of course, no problem. Give me 20 minutes to look at the door and I'll be done."

So I walked the block a bit and came back. Lo and behold his safety inspector happened to show up at that very moment and he was visibly nervous.

A little insta karma

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I was just thinking about some things and I feel like I've got an invention that could probably make money but that I'd never actually bring to market or anything, so I'm shooting it here for suggestions.

So there's these silica gel beads you can get for dehumidifying in your house, that change color when they're 'full', and then you can refresh them by putting them in an oven. But obviously when you do that you're driving the moisture out of the beads and back into your house so if you're trying for anything other than keeping a specific container dry you're shooting yourself in the foot when you do the refresh step.

So I was thinking, obviously you want to do the 'refreshing' part outside. But you have to do it at a temperature between 200 and 250F, and mustn't go over, so you can't just like do it on a grill or something.

But! A thing that gets to be that kind of temperature is pretty much any kind of half-assed solar oven. But the problem with that is, they can get a bit hotter, and if you go over temperature you can ruin the beads.

So then the other thing the concept needs is a temperature sensor that blocks the reflectors (or activates a fan I guess) to keep the temperature below 250F, which is also what would make it a marketable product. The tricky part is figuring out a good way to do that - I think you could probably do something with a bimetal strip that physically triggers a mechanism, ideally, because this doesn't seem like something that really needs electronics, but you could also potentially include some very simple electronics and a small amount of photovoltaic to power them I suppose. Or maybe it could just be a manual setting, where you see how hot and sunny it is, and cover up an appropriate amount of the reflectors to keep the temperature from going over. Or maybe there's a temperature-sensitive pigment you could use to stop catching sunlight when over a temperature.

Anyway, it looks like this is a product that you could sell, because you can for example sell 160g of silica beads for the price of 900g of identical silica beads if you put them in a tiny metal tin with holes in it so they look more like a product. Dessicant beads you can refresh for free without rehumidifying your house seems like a pretty good idea, especially given it's what I was looking for in the first place that led me to this train of thought.

Edit: especially a good idea for RVs and campers, where humidity sucks and power is at a premium!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Chewb update: I went into the city to procure new pants and new shoes for my new job, and failed miserably at both ama

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Chewb update: I went into the city to procure new pants and new shoes for my new job, and failed miserably at both ama

Can you draw a dragon?

Finger Prince

It might have some use in an RV or something, but the usual way of dealing with the hot moist air you get from heating up the dessicant is to blow it outside or wherever though a duct using an extract fan or that sort of thing.
Like, you have a rotating drum of dessicant, that has an intake for the humid air, and then as the drum rotates, it goes past a heater that releases the humidity into a separate duct, that then gets extracted elsewhere. It uses power, yeah, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

are you gonna get lunch? If so, then what did you get?