Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Gadzuko posted:

This is what journey mode was explicitly made for, just spawn yourself however much clay you want.

That's not really the experience I want, either.

I like exploring and gathering materials, but once I found a vein. I don't feel like it enriches my experience to have to mine it out with my inferior pickaxe while dropping platforms to reach the rest of it etc.

Clay especially is a massive project sometimes.

Did they ever reverse the thing where dynamite doesn't work on meteorite blocks?

That's another thing that just added inconvenience for its own sake.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You seem to have a very narrow and idiosyncratic idea of what would make this game fun for you.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Kenning posted:

You seem to have a very narrow and idiosyncratic idea of what would make this game fun for you.

I'm just stating my preference. I have no idea what you want to argue over.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Kenning posted:

:jerkbag:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

literally everyone who plays already has made up their mind in wether they like playing journey mode or not there’s not a single thing that can be accomplished by arguing about it

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Donkringel posted:

Is terraria 32 bit or 64 bit? Never had considered that.

It runs on my recent Mac without complaint, so at least that version has been compiled for 64-bit systems. Not sure about the Windows version but I don't know why they'd keep it different/older.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kenning posted:

So what? It's a single-player game. If they like searching for ore pockets but don't like actually having to mine them out tile by tile, that's fine and not really worth getting on their case about.

I don't know about mods, but the smart cursor makes it pretty simple to mine out your average ore pocket. It'll auto-mine a shaft two or three tiles wide in whatever direction you're holding the mouse cursor.

With a bit of Desert mining, you can turn bombs into Scarab Bombs, which stick to walls and will automatically mine out a long shaft facing away from you - perfect for clearing most of an ore pocket in one blast, and a lot cheaper than dynamite.

Meteorite is still explosives-resistant in pre-hardmode, since it's pretty clearly designed to be kind of difficult to deal with. However, it now becomes vulnerable to explosives in hardmode.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Vizuyos posted:

So what? It's a single-player game. If they like searching for ore pockets but don't like actually having to mine them out tile by tile, that's fine and not really worth getting on their case about.

I don't know about mods, but the smart cursor makes it pretty simple to mine out your average ore pocket. It'll auto-mine a shaft two or three tiles wide in whatever direction you're holding the mouse cursor.

With a bit of Desert mining, you can turn bombs into Scarab Bombs, which stick to walls and will automatically mine out a long shaft facing away from you - perfect for clearing most of an ore pocket in one blast, and a lot cheaper than dynamite.

Thanks for the advice.

Vizuyos posted:

Meteorite is still explosives-resistant in pre-hardmode, since it's pretty clearly designed to be kind of difficult to deal with. However, it now becomes vulnerable to explosives in hardmode.

Maybe if the shadow pickaxe on auto swing didn't create an impenetrable forcefield to meteorheads haha.

It's messy, certainly, but I don't feel like it's a challenge or anything.

I did like clearing out the meteors pre-hardmode while I was out travelling anyway. Now I just mine the first one and ignore the rest mostly. Unless I need a lot of meteor shot for the Wall of flesh.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I miss being able to grab some bombs to smash an orb and blast out the ensuing meteor on night one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A little late but: The utility for generating custom world sizes is cool but it can easily run onto memory problems if you add mods.

The technical limitation (apart from memory) is that poo poo starts to break if the number of containers in the world exceeds a certain amount. Something to do with the way they are coded.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

The technical limitation (apart from memory) is that poo poo starts to break if the number of containers in the world exceeds a certain amount. Something to do with the way they are coded.
See this is why I want a Terraria 2, there's some really weird/awful stuff under the hood that it'd take "basically just making an entirely new game" to fix.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I imagine that Terraria 2 would first have to start with every single feature in Terraria 1. And then some heavy brainstorming on top.

I would have liked to see improved physics and fluid mechanics. The game kind of freaks out when you do something like dump an entire ocean into the underworld.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah the game is probably an ungodly mess of legacy code since it was released... *checks wiki* 11 years ago. Impressive that they are still adding content and changing game mechanics, moreso because it must be a nightmare to deal with.

E: also not even sure what I would want in a new iteration. Starbound tried the gimmick of travelling between worlds but it kinda loses it's charm. The cool thing about Terraria is that progression changes the world state which really raises the stakes and makes the things you do feel like they matter.

Apart from more robust mechanics and game engine, I guess more unique landmarks would be interesting.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 14, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Zereth posted:

See this is why I want a Terraria 2, there's some really weird/awful stuff under the hood that it'd take "basically just making an entirely new game" to fix.

i mean the engine is a ship of theseus now tho, to be fair. it’s not the case that they’ve just kept stapling more and more stuff onto the same old code, the game is fundamentally a different game than the one that was released.

i’m not saying i wouldn’t want to see a terraria 2 with a brand spanking new engine and some more cohesive visuals, but it’s not a case like payday 2 where the biggest needed changes require a total redo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah the game is probably an ungodly mess of legacy code since it was released... *checks wiki* 11 years ago. Impressive that they are still adding content and changing game mechanics, moreso because it must be a nightmare to deal with.

E: also not even sure what I would want in a new iteration. Starbound tried the gimmick of travelling between worlds but it kinda loses it's charm. The cool thing about Terraria is that progression changes the world state which really raises the stakes and makes the things you do feel like they matter.

Apart from more robust mechanics and game engine, I guess more unique landmarks would be interesting.
I'd like the ability to go to other worlds/planes, but a specific, limited selection. Like maybe go to the Blood Moon or something, or like a Bad Future where the world has been entirely corrupted/crimsoned.

Among other reasons, there's already mods which do this but they do it in a kinda hacky weird way that seems to involve having another hidden world file to go to in the background, so having native support for multiple "worlds" in a world would be nice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They've sold 50 million copies of this game or something, I would hope they would have the resources to at least give us sharp sprites and textures in a sequel, if not a fully realized 3D game. Got as much time into the likes of this and Stardew as most any other game in my library but god drat it the retro styling has been done and done again, and again. I want devs to turn their successes in games like this into modern games, with the same passion and attention to detail found in the originals. Basically I'd like to see a team other than FROM deliver quality with modern visuals.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The sprite visuals have huge advantages. They're great for the production of content. The devs can casually add hundreds of new items into random balance patches because asset production is so fast and relatively low effort.

It's hugely beneficial and encouraging to modders, too; something of the scope of Calamity would be enormously more difficult if not impossible to create for a higher fidelity game. In addition, sprite-based visuals are generally timeless. Terraria has a fairly basic sprite artstyle, but it came out over a decade ago and still looks good, especially as the art style cohered more and they improved engine things like lighting effects. Compare the mushroom biome on retro lighting to modern lighting, as an example.

It's also probably kept their overhead low. A big reason why the game has sold 50 million copies(besides being excellent, of course) is that it very, very frequently costs less than a Big Mac.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 14, 2022

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
It still blows my mind that Terraria is one of the best selling video games of all time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Overwatch in the top 10? Holy loving jesus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I just wish I could get a large (or bigger) world horizontally, and a small/medium depth.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't want 3D in the new Terraria. :colbert:

Redigit did apparently drop an image about Terraria 2 and how he imagined it, and I guess the idea is a much larger map with way more focus on discrete biomes (both vertically and horizontally) as evidenced by a very crude map he made about it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like the skaven realm on the bottom right

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
A couple of those games being in the Top 10 genuinely depress me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JustJeff88 posted:

A couple of those games being in the Top 10 genuinely depress me.

I like when you go "oh Tetris isn't even in the top ten" then you look up and see it's actually the third highest selling game of all time, but specifically the mobile version. All of the 80s and early 90s ports combined are something like half the sales of the mobile version.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i've always wanted expanded ocean and sky biomes to explore. mods like calamity and thorium touch on this but only to a limited degree since they have to play nice with the vanilla world gen and size limits.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the one big thing that needs improving in the game is the sound that the rocket launcher makes, especially compared to the extremely cool and chunky sound the grenade launcher makes.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I feel like a Terraria 2 could bring a better UI/UX. There's a lot of extremely useful convenience features that aren't really explained at all ingame

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, 3D Terraria is the last thing I want them to do. The 2D nature and goofy little sprites are part of the charm.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game is impossible to play on switch on a big 4K TV. It hurts my eyes and nothing scales correctly and it's just awful

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wouldn't be surprised if they go for 2.5d. 3d assets but arranged in a 2d plane with a fixed camera.

The distinct zones isn't far from what I was hoping it would be, but I imagined the zones being more literally separate. I never liked corruption spreading because it came at the cost of existing biomes, which felt like a chore to manage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Freakazoid_ posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they go for 2.5d. 3d assets but arranged in a 2d plane with a fixed camera.
Oh cool, the worst of both worlds!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Trine but zoomed out somewhat

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like when you go "oh Tetris isn't even in the top ten" then you look up and see it's actually the third highest selling game of all time, but specifically the mobile version. All of the 80s and early 90s ports combined are something like half the sales of the mobile version.

I was actually mildly surprised by that, but not bothered.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’m not at all surprised by the fact that the best selling version of one of the most popular games is the one that’s for a device most people carry around every day instead of a specialized device made specifically for playing games. my mom loves tetris but hasn’t touched a game console since the NES.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Terraria 2 should give let you rotate the axis you're exploring on by 90 degrees left or right so you can explore a 3 dimensional coordinate space in a 2D way, effectively giving you 3 dimensions of exploration.

Hard mode would add in a 4th dimension to explore

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Terraria 2 should give let you rotate the axis you're exploring on by 90 degrees left or right so you can explore a 3 dimensional coordinate space in a 2D way, effectively giving you 3 dimensions of exploration.

Hard mode would add in a 4th dimension to explore

Like Fez? That would be pretty trippy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fayez Butts posted:

Like Fez? That would be pretty trippy

Yeah

Eikre
May 2, 2009
wait but what if the entire game itself was actually true 3d and the environment was just made of big voxels

brb, gonna go prototype this in Java

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Alternatively, terraria 2 should take place in hyperbolic space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYfWfrk5P7w

but still go 4d in lategame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ad9y0FmQ9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eikre posted:

wait but what if the entire game itself was actually true 3d and the environment was just made of big voxels

brb, gonna go prototype this in Java
Maybe you could change up the crafting system! Just put items in a grid and if you match a recipe, bam, you can make the item!