Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magic Hate Ball posted:

having a local grocery is lifechanging and the fact that we, as a society, went out of our way to make sure as many people as possible don't have one is absurd

I barely buy anything at Costco anymore because they simply don't have what I want. like 60% of my grocery bill is from the local grocery store. kind of been contemplating cutting costco out entirely, which would eliminate the only reason I drive anywhere anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My local Costco has fuckin cops at it on weekends to break up the fistfights and dissuade gun down parking spot related violence escalation lmao it sucks way more than a cheap deal on a comical amount of mediocre stuff is worth

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I once lived like two blocks from a medium-sized neighborhood grocery store and it was one of the most amazing things ever. Now I'm like 3/4 mile away from a regular-sized grocery store which could be a lot worse but it's still a fast trip sur le velo. Driving to the grocery store and parking and going in and getting 50 bags of groceries and loading them all into the bed of your Dodge Mustang Longdrive Pickuptruk or whatever and unloading them and man that poo poo sucks. Smaller/more frequent trips are way better.

Contrast that with my in laws who live in the burbs and the closest coffee shop to them is a 2 mile drive yeah right buddy lmao !!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

silicone thrills posted:

lol this totally is written like someone who lives in one of the outskirts burbs in the sea-tac metro area. Like they live in issaquah or snoqualmie.

my costco rules because IT HAS TREES ALL AROUND IT

At one point when I was boondocking around and sleeping in my car in lots I started a photo album

"the nicest views in America...brought to you by Walmart"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Talking to the guy living in his van with stomach cancer and no family may have been the worst thing I did for my mental health in an era that included weeks of total isolation, but the sunrise over the Rocky Mountains was so worth seeing

You might even say worth dying for

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

a_pineapple posted:

I once lived like two blocks from a medium-sized neighborhood grocery store and it was one of the most amazing things ever. Now I'm like 3/4 mile away from a regular-sized grocery store which could be a lot worse but it's still a fast trip sur le velo. Driving to the grocery store and parking and going in and getting 50 bags of groceries and loading them all into the bed of your Dodge Mustang Longdrive Pickuptruk or whatever and unloading them and man that poo poo sucks. Smaller/more frequent trips are way better.

Contrast that with my in laws who live in the burbs and the closest coffee shop to them is a 2 mile drive yeah right buddy lmao !!

One of the things you learn when you get mobile is that walking a mile isn’t a big deal. Takes twenty minutes if you’re being lackadaisical about it.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the things you learn when you get mobile is that walking a mile isn’t a big deal. Takes twenty minutes if you’re being lackadaisical about it.

My office has some people who live in the city and some people from the suburbs and I've noticed a few times where we'll talk about going somewhere for lunch or going to happy hour after work at a distance I wouldn't think twice about, but the people from the suburbs balk at walking and say it's too far. And then I look it up and it's like .7 miles and all I can say is :confused: :confuoot:

at some level of car dependency you recategorize your entire concept of distance and everything over a block or two away ends up in The Car Zone, where it's gotta be cars

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

the best part of having a local grocer in walking distance is getting insanely high and ambling over there to stare at the sodas and snacks

livin the dream

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

lol this totally is written like someone who lives in one of the outskirts burbs in the sea-tac metro area. Like they live in issaquah or snoqualmie.

my costco rules because IT HAS TREES ALL AROUND IT

equating a couple of trees (normally includes agriculture in the same bucket lol) with being eco friendly and high rise buildings with environmental destruction is such a pervasive idea, I think because it's intellectually appealing. "I can have my huge single family home, not be able to see my neighbours, and be on the right side of the environmental and housing affordability debates"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nature is when you see plants

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
affordable housing is when people of increasing means bid up a quantity of existing housing stock that's remained effectively unchanged except for in increasingly distant exurbs since 1980

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Why better things are not possible by carbrained former Hyperloop Engineer

quote:

Why high speed rail hasn’t caught on by Casey Handmer

My personal background on trains is that I love them! I’ve taken dozens of trains across multiple timezones, in China, Japan, Mongolia, Russia, all over Europe, Vietnam, Cuba, Australia, New Zealand, and the US. I also worked on track-based transport as a levitation engineer at Hyperloop between 2015 and 2018, so I have some appreciation for the art.

Why is HSR so expensive?

I will discuss three main groups of reasons: rail is suboptimal, HSR grading requirements are really tough, and steel-on-steel rolling is less perfect than you might think.

Rail is kind of obsolete

The first set of reasons are common to all kinds of rail. As mentioned in my post on traffic congestion:

There are a few reasons. Some are similar to car economic problems, with peak and average demand variation, particularly for commuter services. But I think the fundamental reason is that compact diesel engines got, if not good, then acceptable, in the 1930s. After that, shippers could move freight in almost any form factor between any two points directly. Even in 2022, freight by rail is much slower as rail cars must wait in yards for trains to be assembled.

There is another direct issue with trains, which is that rail systems are, by their nature, one dimensional. Any disruption on a rail line shuts down the entire line, imposing high maintenance costs on an entire network to ensure reliable uptime. To add a destination to a network, an entire line must be graded and constructed from the existing network, and even then it will be direct to almost nowhere.

Contrast this with aircraft. There are 15,000 airports in the US. Any but the largest aircraft can fly to any of these airports. If I build another airport, I have added 15,000 potential connections to the network. If I build another rail terminal and branch line, at significantly greater cost than an airstrip, I have added only one additional connection to the network.

Roads and trucks are somewhere between rail and aircraft. The road network largely already exists everywhere, and there aren’t any strict gauge restrictions, mandatory union labor requirements, obscure signaling standards, or weird 19th century incompatible ownership structures. Damage or obstruction isn’t a showstopper, as trucks have two dimensions of freedom of movement, and can drive around an obstacle. In Los Angeles during the age of streetcars, a fire anywhere in the city would result in water hoses crossing the street from hydrant to firetruck, and then the network ground to a halt because steel wheels can’t cross a hose or surmount a temporary hump!

Building a metro system in an existing dense city is also great (if we can avoid cost disease) but for most of the cities in the US, the suburbs are already not walkable enough to enable non-vehicle transport to a neighborhood station. The suburbs of LA will never be able to depend on a Manhattan or Vienna-style underground railway.

If we want to reduce CO2-generating air traffic between San Francisco and Los Angeles (a worthy goal!) then the HSR route must be, above all, fast. The oft-stated goal time of 2 hours and 40 minutes is both unachievably rapid with finite money and current technology, and also too slow to compete with aircraft, but for insane TSA security delays that will probably also affect HSR. It prompted the Hyperloop experiment, which sidestepped some of the problems and generated others.

The Earth is kinda bumpy

The bumps have a really big effect on how fast people can move close to the surface of the Earth.

As a result, HSR grades cannot be built between nearly any city pair on Earth without moving a LOT of dirt and rock and pouring a LOT of (CO2-emitting) concrete, most of which only has an actual train on it for a few seconds per hour, and thus drives incredibly high cost of construction.

Of course roads also operate with public subsidies and require expensive grading, but road traffic is slower, more diverse, and more versatile, while road materials are far cheaper and car operating costs are borne by the user. The result is that the per mile and per passenger mile costs of roads are much lower than HSR. For example, the I-70 cost an average of about $2m/mile, despite routing through remote and mountainous parts of Utah. CA HSR is currently budgeted at more than $350m/mile.

Rail wear, or steel wheels in the real world

Finally, we come to the third major challenge of HSR and another major contributor to its cost. Steel wheels and rails are hard – they’re made of steel, but they wear over time. Wheels must be remachined and rails must be reground.

Where HSR has to bore tunnels through >100 miles of incredibly unforgiving hard and flakey rock for decades just to get somewhere, planes fly serenely through the unobstructed atmosphere. Where trains must slow down and speed up to serve political expediency in smaller intermediate stations, planes route freely through the three dimensional sky direct to their destination, and at 3x the speed, and at lower overall energy usage per passenger-km.

Planes emit CO2 as they fly, but CO2 emissions on routes that could be served by HSR are a tiny fraction of aviation’s total, which itself is a small fraction of the totality of humanity’s output. It can be directly offset through carbon capture and sequestration for a modest increase in the ticket price, as plane ticket prices are mostly not fuel. Alternatively, synthetic aviation fuel is under development to make aircraft carbon neutral. Indeed, at Terraform Industries we think synthetic fuel will ultimately be even cheaper than current options, expanding access to the convenience, speed, and safety of air travel.

Trains are wonderful and I love the Shinkansen, but let’s stop flogging this dead horse. HSR is not a compelling option for generic high speed intercity transport.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

The oft-stated goal time of 2 hours and 40 minutes is both unachievably rapid with finite money and current technology, and also too slow to compete with aircraft,

weird thing to say when both those things have been done multiple times

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bordeaux and paris are only slightly closer than la/sf, there's an actual existing almost hourly rail connection which is under 2 hours! and it's packed, it's obviously competitive with air travel

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

all fuel is synthetic you dipshit. it's like calling methane natural gas

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

like did this moron even check the number for Japan's hsr

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
there's a guy named ashton in the comments who is absolutely ventilating the author ~~with facts and logic~~ and getting him increasingly pissy and mad

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

it doesn't matter, he's a HYPERLOOP ENGINEER and therefore an authority on transportation issues

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The comments are great and you can skip reading the entire article. I didn't get past "HSR isn't even profitable". GOOD.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
hsr so unprofitable it sustains not one but several private operators in france aside from the main state-owned one. and one private operator in italy too

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

turns out there's these things called "economies of scale" that make unprofitable things profitable when widely enough adopted

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I can't get over how he's ignoring so much evidence from existing systems in favour of his theories. I thought these guys were meant to be empiricists!

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Musk freely admitted that the whole Hyperloop project was just a play to get CA to stop working on HSR. And that dumb rear end blogger thinks working on that makes him more credible?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mortons stork posted:

there's a guy named ashton in the comments who is absolutely ventilating the author ~~with facts and logic~~ and getting him increasingly pissy and mad

Get his rear end, ash

thalweg posted:

Musk freely admitted that the whole Hyperloop project was just a play to get CA to stop working on HSR. And that dumb rear end blogger thinks working on that makes him more credible?

HE'S AN ENGINEER

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol he's like the libertarian think tank guys who got all huffy when the koch family defunded them, not realizing his life's work is a smokescreen to cover some capitalist's policy objectives

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a Star Citizen developer. Here's why the Apollo program won't work,

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

^^^ I just realized the Apollo program took less time to land men on the moon than it has taken RSI to develop Star Citizen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/worldbollard/status/1461425551374274567?s=46&t=eLJPde0r8C6jhD2EQnHCyg

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Japan is one of the most mountainous countries on Earth, and they invented highspeed rail so lmao at "the Earth is kind of bumpy" for talking about America

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

webcams for christ posted:

show me a car that can drive up a 64% incline

every one of them, op, once you simply bulldoze enormous scars into the side of every incline for switchbacks! kidding aside, this killed a lot of funiculars that existed because horses couldn't pull cargo up steep inclines and we didn't have a "pave the entire world for horse" initiative the way we do for the car plague.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just let me go to the Amazon or whatever warehouse myself, go into a little room built on the front of it, beep boop on some kiosk, sit in a chair for a few minutes, and then pick my stuff up at the window when my name is called

lol amazon warehouses are located in the worst possible places (because it's cheap), like pastures off single-lane roads. you won't ever see one placed like a big-box store because that'd cost too much. i've driven by one a couple times recently and it's amazing how badly placed it is for access.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mortons stork posted:

Ha thanks for pointing this out, I enjoyed it :D

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

mortons stork posted:

loving lol at this guy's rebuttals. "Second is that Japan exists, has a ton of mountains, and constructed a bunch of HSR for a lot less money than California is."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

funiculars are cool

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I learned about funiculars by playing the Deus Ex games. Whoever designs those things fuckin' loves funiculars.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Japan is one of the most mountainous countries on Earth, and they invented highspeed rail so lmao at "the Earth is kind of bumpy" for talking about America

quote:

Japan, a linear archipelago, famously developed the high speed Shinkansen but like recent Chinese development, it must be seen in the context of very heavy-handed government subsidies and a response to geographic and structural factors that inhibited the development of airports. For example, while the US has more than 15,000 airports (most of which are untowered paved strips), Japan and much of China is relatively mountainous, historically relatively poor, and historically beset by relatively poor transport networks. Add to that various Japanese prohibitions on certain weapons technology in the post war period and high speed rail served as a government imposed solution to mass transportation.

It did not come without cost, however. Japan’s ostensibly private rail companies have gone bankrupt and been bailed out so many times I’ve lost count, racking up billion dollar yearly deficits year after year. Indeed, as far as I know there isn’t a single HSR route anywhere on Earth that operates profitably on ticketing revenue, and so operation always requires substantial subsidies. I should probably mention here that actual ridership and thus fare revenue is, as a rule of thumb, typically around a third of projections.

You see, Japan unfairly penalized the development of a robust airborne transit system, and now is stuck in a dystopian future with convenient and affordable mass transit serving the vast majority of its population. And then the dude wrote "but tunnels!" and Ashton responded:

quote:

Second is that Japan exists, has a ton of mountains, and constructed a bunch of HSR for a lot less money than California is. The latest line, Hokkaido Shinkansen opened in 2016 and cost a cool $4.67B for 92.5 miles of track, including a 33mi tunnel right in the middle of it. Not just a tunnel in fact, a tunnel under a straight to boot. So clearly HSR can be made in mountains and with tunnels for a lot cheaper than what California’s HSR will cost.

Meanwhile, the Ontario government is set to spend at least that much on an idiotic highway through mostly rich farmland so that one day their developer buddies can pave it over with more garbage subdivisions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
A lot of it is just that all types of infrastructure construction have gotten ridiculously slow/boated/expensive in the Anglosphere to the point even building even a single new subway line is a mass undertaking that takes over a decade and costs in the billions. All of it is possible, it is just the entire process is glacial and hobbled by public-private partnerships; it is a miracle anything gets built at all.

Even when new projects get build they come up out awkward and semi-unusable. Not that this stuff isn't possible but everything had aligned to make sure it is nearly not so.

Then you have Hyperloop which is a scam to extract more revenue from a system that is barely functional at it is.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bumpouts in progress, gonna be awesome (added a line so you can see how much they are adding!)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

oh my car!!!