Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

THF13 posted:

Your post in PYF about the 353v got me to purchase it immediately as well as find this thread, thanks! I dunno why they bothered making other colors besides the sweet atomic purple one though.
Mine's still on the way from China but very excited for it.

I’m really loving mine so far. All I’ve done is pop in my rom SD but I’m gonna spend today on YouTube getting it just right. I’m hoping my AmberElec themes can copy/paste over.

Also lol I do regret not getting the wood model. Must you rub it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mrenda posted:

I finally tried out my 351p after taking a car trip. The Megadrive era stuff runs great, even if the screen did seem a little small for RPGs and the like (albeit that could being not having perfect vision any more.) The billed/reviewed running of PS1 games wasn't there though. I tried a couple of games, and they all had audio glitching/skipping, showing it's just not running quite right.

I'm using a fairly recent Amberelec and the PS1 stuff is disappointing. Especially when I thought N64 would be pushing it and I'd have to fiddle with that whereas PS1 was supposed to be OK.

Is there something I should be looking at with the Retroarch settings for PS1? Seeing the 353v now has me tempted for that, with the better screen and slightly better specs, and I'd pass off the one month old (to me) 351p to my brother for when he travels.

Yeah that's odd, PS1 should be just fine. What did you try?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah that's odd, PS1 should be just fine. What did you try?

THPS2, FF7, Tekken 2.

Maybe I messed up some setting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hm yeah, while I haven't tried any of those specifically I did play Tekken 3 on a 280V and it was fine there so I'd assume T2 on a 351 would be gravy.

FWIW my 351M PS1 settings are all Auto except aspect ratio (4/3) and RGA scale (on). Make sure you've got the actual BIOS also, I think I remember duckstation's HLE BIOS having some speed issues.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Got my Retroid Pocket 3 in today. It is definitely the best bang/buck ratio of any handheld out right now. It requires a few hours of tinkering to get set up right, and the occasional tweak after that as you run into things. I'll still go with my Miyoo Mini with OnionOS as the best user experience though. I desperately just want that pick up and playability on something more powerful and comfortable to hold like the RP3.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I have no idea why nothing else can come close to matching the Miyoo Mini's user experience. There's plenty of stuff with far more power and way better ergonomics but nothing even approaches Just Working like the Miyoo Mini does.

And this applies to both OnionOS and MinUI, despite them being extremely different in both form and function.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think all I’ll need for the 353V to be perfect is a decent AmberElec release. At first I didn’t care for the 2 sticks but after noticing how well N64 runs I’m glad I can use the right one for C buttons.

In the meantime I’m gonna tinker with android and see how personalized I can make this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Razer’s handheld is a phone with a Kishi permanently attached for the same price as a Steam Deck.
https://www.razer.com/mobile-handhelds/razer-edge

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

Razer’s handheld is a phone with a Kishi permanently attached for the same price as a Steam Deck.
https://www.razer.com/mobile-handhelds/razer-edge

It's not permanently attached, I think that processor is pretty drat good though, android emulation is getting up there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Photex posted:

It's not permanently attached
So you're saying that Razer's new gaming handheld is... a phone. With a Kishi included.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

So you're saying that Razer's new gaming handheld is... a phone. With a Kishi included.

Gonna be 599 I bet for the 5G model but yes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

$599+whatever Verizon charges for a plan on this thing. I just don’t get why you’d buy a dedicated gaming phone now when the Deck exists since most of them are even longer than the Deck with the controllers added. Unless there’s some awesome Android exclusive game I’m not aware of (Genshin Android still doesn’t have controller support lol).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS IT'S A NEW THING FROM RAZER

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The specs seem pretty nice NGL.

The fact that the controller isn’t attached on the wifi version… I dunno about that. It doesn’t seem the most comfortable.

OTOH if the controller has issues it’s easy for razor to replace just that part lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eh I put $5 down on a reservation.

I’m sure some reviews will come out before.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in addition to confirming the bulk of Pocket preorders will be shipped this year, Analogue confirmed they're doing one final run of the Super NT and Mega Sg (preorders later this month, shipping late 2023).

i was pretty excited at first but they aren't rerunning the model I wanted (the translucent one), and since I already own a Pocket + dock and the emulation on that is picking up I'll probably skip it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol here was an early review of the Razer device,

quote:

That part wasn’t surprising, but I was taken aback by how natural the device felt in my hands. It’s a lightweight handheld where just about every button feels like it’s in the right place. The gamepad feels closely related to Razer’s Kishi, which makes sense considering that the company helped create the Snapdragon G3x. The only thing that felt slightly off was the dynamic of triggers and bumpers, as I found myself needing to reposition my palms to switch between the two (a common issue I’ve noticed with handheld devices as of late).

The biggest revelation of all? Grips. That probably sounds completely mundane to anyone who uses a controller, but consider that grips have never been the standard for handhelds. Not a single one of Nintendo’s handheld systems, from the Game Boy all the way to the Switch, has grips. PSP, N-Gage, Kishi, Steam Deck — all of them opt for rounded corners.

I’d never realized that before until holding the Snapdragon G3x. It just sits better in my hands than perhaps any handheld gaming device I’ve used. The grips provide a natural fit and make it feel as though I’m holding a proper gamepad with guts inside.

well they sure did away with that feature haha

I'm not sure why they decided to do away with better grips tbh

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Countblanc posted:

in addition to confirming the bulk of Pocket preorders will be shipped this year, Analogue confirmed they're doing one final run of the Super NT and Mega Sg (preorders later this month, shipping late 2023).

i was pretty excited at first but they aren't rerunning the model I wanted (the translucent one), and since I already own a Pocket + dock and the emulation on that is picking up I'll probably skip it

I just saw this and got so excited. Is there a good 3rd party screen protector for the pocket? nevermind, I bought some back in April... TBIs suck.

otter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

lol here was an early review of the Razer device

The early prototype they showed was of an all-in-one device, similar to how Logitech are doing things with the G-Cloud. Going from that to just a phone+Kishi feels like something wasn't working during development.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Going from that to just a phone+Kishi feels like something wasn't working during development.

Yeah I agree with that. Reviews should be interesting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it would be cool if I could get an android superphone and load a custom rom that ditches all the cellphone features. I'd googled around a little and didn't get any headway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How far we have come:

By which I mean, not much? Buy an Xbox plus a $600 device to game stream inside your home? Love your new thing, Razer! I think I'll keep my Deck, though.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

How far we have come:

By which I mean, not much? Buy an Xbox plus a $600 device to game stream inside your home? Love your new thing, Razer! I think I'll keep my Deck, though.

I don't think you're not the target market for the product or even this thread though, if this comes in and competes with the Odin Pro but with some extra polish and easier availability it has a place in the space.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

i ordered this and got into the second batch. happy to hear they're almost done. i had almost forgotten the name of the thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Photex posted:

I don't think you're not the target market for the product or even this thread though, if this comes in and competes with the Odin Pro but with some extra polish and easier availability it has a place in the space.

It's double the price and might not be significantly better than the phone you already have emulation wise and is also still just a phone with a telescopic controller and not an all in one device like the Odin. It reminds me a lot of the Anbernic Win600 where better availability (over the Steam Deck in the Win600's case which didn't last long) is basically all it has.

Speaking of Anbernic, looks like they're shoving the 353 into the old 351 form factor. I approve, especially if they're using Guilkit analog sticks.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1581806651325095937

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pocket 3's on amazon. But only the 2+32 version.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
What's the best way to handle PS1 games with multiple disks in Amberelec/Jelos? I'd want just one entry in the games list for say FF7 instead of 3, one for each disk. I vaguely remember reading at one point about making another file that points to the three disks and having the games list just show that but I can't remember any of the specifics or how it works.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Amberelec has a script in Tools that generates a m3u for multi disc PS1 games specifically then removes the individual files from the game list

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sure I’ll get one of these when they are on clearance for $99 because who TF Is gonna buy this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=To6W2q0FAco&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its emulation performance is better than I expected but from the sounds of things it's running headlong into the problems with Android games having bad gamepad support. Plus being pitched around cloud gaming which basically just means Xcloud and GeForce Now in terms of relevant ones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I wasn’t expecting much from the emulation but it does pretty good.

It’s still way overpriced.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh yeah, but also I'm expecting it to sell just because its a Logitech thing the same way the Razer Edge will sell because its a Razer thing.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just got my shipping notification for my Odin Lite finally

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

The G Stands For Garbage - Logitech G Cloud Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh66DTXYCP8

Thing is this device is $350 the new Razer is $400 and the deck is also $400.

There's no way this thing isn't DOA in a few months.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 21, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I was going to say I would take one for $150 just to use for xbox game streaming while on the couch and watching tv but... my ipad already does that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

otter posted:

I was going to say I would take one for $150 just to use for xbox game streaming while on the couch and watching tv but... my ipad already does that.

The Retroid Pocket does that too, which he brings up in the video. Also for $50 more than the G-Cloud you can have a Steam Deck and do all that anyway with higher native performance.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

Holy lol

Hardkernel notes that the battery charges very slowly when fully discharged, so the company will ship the handheld with a special Y-charging cable that a USB-A connector on one end and USB Type-A and Type-C ports on the other. The company says connecting both the Type-C and -A plugs to the handheld at the same time will increase the charging rate.

It's finally here, dumb double cable and all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCkNJfMKvKE

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

lol

The G Stands For Garbage - Logitech G Cloud Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh66DTXYCP8

Thing is this device is $350 the new Razer is $400 and the deck is also $400.

There's no way this thing isn't DOA in a few months.

It's just e-waste. What a ridiculous product.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My Retroid pocket 3 finally shipped after almost a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

2 seconds later

*pulls out powkiddy v90*