Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anne Whateley posted:

Large grains of salt

Garlic salt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Christopher Ranch

Winnie the Ketchup

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looks like Kroger is going to buy Albertsons

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/14/business/kroger-albertsons-merger/index.html

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

therattle posted:

None of you losers have read that NYer article, have you? You should! It’s good.

Much like beans, it's really good

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
how can i give my salads more...oomph?? i've been hit with this super bad salad craving but for some reason none of the salads i make are fulfilling enough to make me feel like i've eaten an actual meal. today i made this fantastic salad bowl, with lettuce, shredded carrot, bulgur wheat, and tofu tossed in a mustard and lemon pepper vinaigrette, served with herby roasted carrots and parsnips and some pickled shallots, and it was awesome but it wasn't savoury enough, nor did it make me feel like i'd eaten a proper lunch. my salads are pretty balanced - i add some form of tofu to pretty much all of them, and i always serve alongside a carb - and i vary my ingredients (even if today it was pretty basic) so i'd appreciate any advice. perhaps i should just add msg to my dressings and call it a day?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Look for ways you can subtly amp the umami, msg is a good idea, finding ways to integrate dried fish, mushrooms or tomatoes can also boost the impact. Alternatively do what I’ve taken up doing with my salads and just eating more portions.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anchovies. The answer is anchovies.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Lettuce and raw veggies just aren’t very calorie dense and digestible, so you gotta add more stuff.

Good quality canned beans or chickpeas work great. Firm cooking lentils are done in like 20 minutes. These add some complex carbs and protein and a hearty bite.

Toasted nuts and seeds are good for texture and provide lots of „good“ fats and some protein as well.

I love salad with a savory and sweet component, so I use a lot of dried fruit like dates, raisins, figs or even apricots.

If you eats dairy, cheeses like feta or mozzarella can be good.

I also like to use leftover cooked vegetables like roasted potatoes or root vegetables.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i just made some lentil tofu today, so i'm gonna try adding some air fried lentil tofu croutons to my next salad, maybe some pecans too, it's the end of tomato season so i can work with what's left on my plants, and i've got way too many dried apricots so that might be a shout too. thanks for the tips!!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Avocado is another good way to add fat to a salad.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Enfys posted:

Much like beans, it's really good

Yes! Good.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One of my favorite salad amendments is to use the shredding blade of my food processor, shred up some beets, then make a spicy fridge pickle and toss a handful onto s bowl of leaves. I am lazy too, and make a standard red wine vinegarsalt brine and just add a tsp of one of the hot sauces in my fridge. Feta and beets and olives. Can do similar with carrots, too. Jam it all into a pint canning jar and give it a day or so to work it's magic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

One of my favorite salad amendments is to use the shredding blade of my food processor, shred up some beets, then make a spicy fridge pickle and toss a handful onto s bowl of leaves. I am lazy too, and make a standard red wine vinegarsalt brine and just add a tsp of one of the hot sauces in my fridge. Feta and beets and olives. Can do similar with carrots, too. Jam it all into a pint canning jar and give it a day or so to work it's magic.

Tell me more!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
one of my many dumpling filling-related secrets is that i ferment my carrots before i add them to dumpling fillings - i just cut them into thin sticks, massage one tablespoon of rock salt into them per large carrot used, then chuck them in a glass jar filled with distilled water for a week or so

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Roasted beets or raw?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

one of my many dumpling filling-related secrets is that i ferment my carrots before i add them to dumpling fillings - i just cut them into thin sticks, massage one tablespoon of rock salt into them per large carrot used, then chuck them in a glass jar filled with distilled water for a week or so

Man one of my favorite things at legit hole in the wall Mexican places is some fermented pickle thing with carrots onions and potatoes

Edit: Google says escabeche

I had one with pineapple mixed in too

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A little sauerkraut on a fatty salad will surprise and delight.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Olives make any salad better - the more different varieties in a single salad, the better.

Homemade garlicky croutons are also fantastic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The best salad is a charcuterie platter

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
I love baked cubed apples or winter squash with bitter greens and a little smoked fish. Toss it with a little creamed horseradish. It also works great as a wrap or sandwich.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'm kind of infatuated with this really simple soup I've made a few times while working from home.

Chop and saute some onion, add Harissa, dump in a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of chick peas add a can of water or broth and then cook 30 minutes. Tastes amazing, is pretty low calories and has some good protein so it's filling. If you want some carbs you can add some pasta 10 minutes before you want to eat.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've had to make big changes to my diet, so i've been doing a lot of stir fry. And i'm working on getting the seasons and everything right. I found out last night it is in fact possible to use too much Maggi sauce. I was not expecting to find that limit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trader Joe’s tteokbeokki is actually pretty good. It has legit levels of heat and tastes like Korean pepper flavor. Might want to add a little more onion and scallion, and you might want to cook it longer than the instructions or use a little less water to let it get to the appropriate thickness

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Murgos posted:

I'm kind of infatuated with this really simple soup I've made a few times while working from home.

Chop and saute some onion, add Harissa, dump in a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of chick peas add a can of water or broth and then cook 30 minutes. Tastes amazing, is pretty low calories and has some good protein so it's filling. If you want some carbs you can add some pasta 10 minutes before you want to eat.

Mmm. Sounds good. You could also spoon it over couscous or quinoa. Some garlic would be good, and if you want more veg some carrot or butternut squash would work really well, as would red or yellow peppers.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Walla posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-garbanzos-con-espinacas-jengibre-spinach-chickpea-stew-ginger-spanish

I honestly just do variations on this recipe that I got from one of the threads here.

Last night I sauteed a shallot, half a bell pepper, some corn and 2 cloves of garlic in a mix of peanut and chili oil. The spices were my wife's homemade salt free fajita seasoning, but I don't even know everything in it. Paprika and some mild chili powder and onion and garlic powder at a minimum. And I added in some coriander. Also I omitted the spinach and fresh ginger and I sprinkled on some cotija cheese.

Most of my cooking is quick and simple, especially during the week. Something like this, or egg fried rice or some kind of 1 pot pasta.

I used this as a starting point last night and not only was it delicious, my friend asked for the recipe. A+ will cook again. I think I'm going to start making it with pasta to sustain my carbivore diet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Trader Joe’s tteokbeokki is actually pretty good. It has legit levels of heat and tastes like Korean pepper flavor. Might want to add a little more onion and scallion, and you might want to cook it longer than the instructions or use a little less water to let it get to the appropriate thickness

Looks like cocktail weenies in barbecue sauce

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love it when people see tteokbeokki for the first time.

I prefer rice cakes to be like stir-fried with 'sheperd's purse', I don't know the real name of the dish (sorry) but had it a few times, really savory and filling.

Recipe.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Looks like cocktail weenies in barbecue sauce

Having made it, I'd say it's worse, but it was a fun, educational experience.

I'll never use gochujang again though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I really want to like Gochujang but that ferment funk puts me off every time. I love every other part of it though.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Gochujang smells like the nacho cheese you get at a hockey game and I respect that a lot

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Once a week I shred a head of cabbage and dress it with a neutral vinegar and oil dressing and keep it in the fridge. I might shred a carrot for colour into it as well. If I look at supper and think it needs some more veg to it, I might take a portion of it, slice some tomatoes, spring onions, beets, bell peppers, nuts, whatever and toss that in with a little more extra dressing. (Keep ready mixed mustard vinaigrette in the fridge as well. )

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I love gochujang! It's great.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's way, way, way too much sugar for the amount of flavor it adds to something.

I'd put this in the culinary hot take thread, but meh. :effort:

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i took your advice and made a big salad for lunch today - i used my go-to english mustard/onion vinegar/lemon pepper dressing, with julienned carrot, shredded lettuce, shredded savoy cabbage, raisins, craisins, slivered almonds, home fries, sauteed mushrooms, crispy smoked tofu and a little garlic - and now i understand the salad hype, because holy poo poo, it's sweet and salty and smoky and spicy and yet so so fresh. this was how i used the last of my homegrown potatoes and it's a fitting send-off. i think when you're eating raw you need a variety of texture and to cover the whole spectrum of flavours in order to make up for the comfort of hot food and i cracked it thanks to the help i got in here

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It's way, way, way too much sugar for the amount of flavor it adds to something.

I'd put this in the culinary hot take thread, but meh. :effort:
Are you talking about the paste or the prepared sauce or both?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Force de Fappe posted:

Once a week I shred a head of cabbage and dress it with a neutral vinegar and oil dressing and keep it in the fridge. I might shred a carrot for colour into it as well. If I look at supper and think it needs some more veg to it, I might take a portion of it, slice some tomatoes, spring onions, beets, bell peppers, nuts, whatever and toss that in with a little more extra dressing. (Keep ready mixed mustard vinaigrette in the fridge as well. )

The cabbage doesn't get all wilt-y after a couple days?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mystes posted:

Both. The amount of sugar in the sauce itself is insanity. And then the recipe usually calls for even more sugar and/or corn syrup or honey.

Just cut out the middle man and eat dessert.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if it's a delicious meat dessert?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mystes posted:

The paste in the tub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess you do add even more sugar to make the sauce from the paste in addition to stuff like vinegar that balances it out, but if you're having a whole serving of bibimbap I don't feel like the sauce seems excessively sweet since you don't normally have huge quantities of it