Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Zwabu posted:

It just seems like a bit of a bad joke that you only see the torture part in the film (I know, it's a horror film). Like, where the pleasure at?

The pain is the pleasure! Haven't you seen any BDSM videos I mean come on. You don't ask a dominatrix to cuddle with you first, I mean I guess you could, but she'll laugh at you before spitting in your face, tying you up and flogging away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Saw the new Hellraiser last night, it was okay. Way too obsessed with ~lore~ and the whole addiction angle felt kind of hollow, but the cenobites looked cool as hell and the new pinhead (sorry clive, the names too iconic to dump just because you don’t like it) was extremely well done. greatly enjoy that when Riley selected Chatterer as a sacrifice all the cenobites were like “eh, it’s a fair cop” and just rolled with it. Very in keeping, imo

Regarding the Cenobite Discourse I think that, like, they’re kind of let down by being featured in a series that is, at the end of the day, pretty mass marketed and angled for a wide audience. They’re limited to being generic torture slasher monsters because actually digging into the implications of how hosed they are would be way too much for the audience that hulu/Disney/whatever thinks they want to get with the movies. Like, its okay to show someone getting tortured to death, but showing someone actually getting off on having their dick and balls scourged would be too much for the people paying for these things.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

dorium posted:

Yes it’s an expansion of the short

Ok that's cool, I could definitely see that being expanded into a full story

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
In the book, Frank is tortured by all of his senses. He shuts his eyes because the tiny cracks in the ceiling are such an intricate labyrinth that his mind can't handle the detail. He can taste a meal he had days ago because a tiny piece between his teeth remains and it makes him sick. Even his imagination is amplified when he shuts his eyes, and he becomes tortured by the vividness of his memories. I've always wanted to see this aspect of the cenobites "gifts" in the movies, because it's such a good chapter. It can be done, it just takes some imagination. Whoever earlier said the movie Perfume does a lot of creative poo poo with smell is right on. Imagery, editing, and sound can do some awesome stuff to convey concepts that seem difficult to articulate to a movie audience.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

In the book, Frank is tortured by all of his senses. He shuts his eyes because the tiny cracks in the ceiling are such an intricate labyrinth that his mind can't handle the detail. He can taste a meal he had days ago because a tiny piece between his teeth remains and it makes him sick. Even his imagination is amplified when he shuts his eyes, and he becomes tortured by the vividness of his memories. I've always wanted to see this aspect of the cenobites "gifts" in the movies, because it's such a good chapter. It can be done, it just takes some imagination. Whoever earlier said the movie Perfume does a lot of creative poo poo with smell is right on. Imagery, editing, and sound can do some awesome stuff to convey concepts that seem difficult to articulate to a movie audience.

This is great, and only hinted at in Frank's discussion of his experiences with the Cenobites and Pinhead's self description of them as explorers of the realms of experience and sensation, and makes me determined to read the book now.

And I do agree that even though there are limitations in describing this in a film vs. a book, a clever filmmaker could certainly tell part of the story with images.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was debating if Piggy was a horror movie, but now I'm creeped and spooked so it totally is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Really feeling that 1970s aesthetic today. I'm watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 and its pretty good. Recommend some similar chill 70s horror movies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Omen, Salem's Lot, Jaws.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Piggy was really good, not as much of a spook-a-doodle as I expected. The third act was suitably intense so I'll count it as a horror movie.

Watching Fart the Clown's origin story, All Hallow's Eve now.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Hollismason posted:

I'm imagining a LABEAST style Cenobyte who's doing crazy poo poo like eating cactus and 10lb boxes of lard.

wanna see the cenobite that sticks their hands into IcyHot chemicals

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

Really feeling that 1970s aesthetic today. I'm watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 and its pretty good. Recommend some similar chill 70s horror movies.

Don't Look Now (which is a much more faithful adaptation of DuMaurier's story than The Birds)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Hollismason posted:

Phase IV

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Saul Bass only made one feature film and somehow it's a legitimately good scifi horror about ants.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Hausu Usher posted:

I had an hour free so collated the top 10 horrors of the Spook-a-doodle crew (left out anyone who didn't stick to 10 films) and it ended up being 11 movies.

1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Evil Dead II
4. Return of the Living Dead
= The Shining
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
7. Halloween
8. Day of the Dead
= The Fly
= Dawn of the Dead
= Bram Stoker's Dracula

Honourable Mentions: The Wicker Man, Black Christmas, Hellraiser and Candyman.

Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to do this! It’s interesting.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Introduced some people to Demon Knight in a discord spooky movie night. I was nervous since it's been 20 years since I saw it, but it 100% holds up. Come for the best Billy Zane performance possible, stay for the convoluted Jesus lore and Dick Miller visiting the titty dimension.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Omen it is

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
One thing about the Cenobites' offer that strikes me is that pleasure only goes for so long. People want pleasure, do terrible things to achieve it. But it rarely lasts long enough to justify the expense. That's, like, basic human poo poo. So I don't get where the expectation comes from that the Cenobites can dole out pain and pleasure in equal measure. People who summon them will get a tiny bit of pleasure and then a heaping of pain. People might desire one, but they will happily take the other and that is what the Cenobites deliver.

Anyway, I watched The House That Jack Built and while I liked it, it was altogether too close to American Psycho: What Patrick Bateman Thought Should Have Been In The Movie.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

MrMojok posted:

Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to do this! It’s interesting.

But wait!

I forgot to add the votes I tallied up for Night of the Living Dead into the original post, but it's joint 6th with Texas Chain Saw Massacre and the list doesn't change outside of it's addition.

The Collated List for everyone's Top 10 is:

The Hausu Usher posted:

1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Evil Dead II
4. Return of the Living Dead
= The Shining
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
= Night of the Living Dead
8. Halloween
9. Day of the Dead
= The Fly
= Dawn of the Dead
= Bram Stoker's Dracula

Honourable Mentions: The Wicker Man, Black Christmas, Hellraiser and Candyman.

That means the full Dead trilogy is represented, which is very Spook-a-Doodle.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 16, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Watched Barbarian last night, cinema got surprisingly full just before it started, especially since it was just me when I booked. Very good and tense, although it felt like there was a missing plot line/element that was going to be addressed and then… wasn’t?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All the lists including Killer Klowns from Outer Space as one of the top 10 horror films ever got me thinking on how the most surprising thing about that movie is its music. I can picture a witty horror comedy with great B-movie acting being made but who would expect them to put so much effort into the music, too. I'm sure most here know the amazing theme song but this was the piece of music I always loved most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y3dfTXnZTo
It even got this rad cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw4L5PKtlDA

But this also got me thinking about another B-horror flick with a great theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQrvscTaeg

Puppetmaster seems like one of those series which "punched above its weight class." Given what it was, Blade and this song are pretty recognizable.

I would assume this is the 80s version like other posters here?

I only ever saw the original since AMC in my teenage years and Whoopi Goldberg Halloween specials made me love classic horror flicks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Grendels Dad posted:

One thing about the Cenobites' offer that strikes me is that pleasure only goes for so long. People want pleasure, do terrible things to achieve it. But it rarely lasts long enough to justify the expense. That's, like, basic human poo poo. So I don't get where the expectation comes from that the Cenobites can dole out pain and pleasure in equal measure. People who summon them will get a tiny bit of pleasure and then a heaping of pain. People might desire one, but they will happily take the other and that is what the Cenobites deliver.

Anyway, I watched The House That Jack Built and while I liked it, it was altogether too close to American Psycho: What Patrick Bateman Thought Should Have Been In The Movie.

I like to think that WE only see the Cenobites in pain mode but there are off screen times where they are enjoying traditionally pleasurable things. We just happen to see Pinhead in a mood where they feel like wearing a lot of leather and flayed skin, but it's just a cyclical thing. sometimes they feel like eating a bowl of nails, sometimes they feel like eating a bowl of ice cream. Of course they know the difference between pleasure and pain, they aren't idiots, they just are equally desensitised to both and so dabble.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Halloween Ends is top 3 of the franchise.

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1581735045789671424?s=20&t=GWx_Sf8I7VNrTW2fyY0ehQ

Aside from 2’s location Jay is correct in this ranking. I’d swap a few around because 4 would not be that high for me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shudder has a docuseries about queer horror that's really bringing out the brain trust on Facebook, but one of the comments specifically stood out to me, a guy who unironically is complaining about them "ruining Rocky Horror".
Yes, God forbid they inject some queer subtext into Rocky loving horror

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Shudder has a docuseries about queer horror that's really bringing out the brain trust on Facebook, but one of the comments specifically stood out to me, a guy who unironically is complaining about them "ruining Rocky Horror".

why would anyone ever read facebook comments

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

'18 better than Ends, Ends better than 2, c'mon Bauman get it together!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

'18 better than Ends, Ends better than 2, c'mon Bauman get it together!

The ranking videos are going to be a nightmare and I’m here for it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to think that WE only see the Cenobites in pain mode but there are off screen times where they are enjoying traditionally pleasurable things. We just happen to see Pinhead in a mood where they feel like wearing a lot of leather and flayed skin, but it's just a cyclical thing. sometimes they feel like eating a bowl of nails, sometimes they feel like eating a bowl of ice cream. Of course they know the difference between pleasure and pain, they aren't idiots, they just are equally desensitised to both and so dabble.

Hey Frank why don’t we take a break from the hooks and the Pillar of Pain for a while, I’ve got a lovely soufflé I think you’ll really enjoy that I made for you from that recipe I told you about, along with some exquisite fresh picked berries, and we can both have a mimosa or three? Sound good?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zwabu posted:

Hey Frank why don’t we take a break from the hooks and the Pillar of Pain for a while, I’ve got a lovely soufflé I think you’ll really enjoy that I made for you from that recipe I told you about, along with some exquisite fresh picked berries, and we can both have a mimosa or three? Sound good?

we have brunch plates to show you

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
just starting mother! and I haven't had a movie give me this much anxiety since Uncut Gems

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

dorium posted:

Halloween Ends is top 3 of the franchise.

:agreed:

quote:

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1581735045789671424?s=20&t=GWx_Sf8I7VNrTW2fyY0ehQ

Aside from 2’s location Jay is correct in this ranking. I’d swap a few around because 4 would not be that high for me.

I'd mostly agree with this ranking. I'd put Ends above original 2 at this point, but that's my only quibble with the films that really matter

Opopanax posted:

I hate how the series is only 4 episodes (3 already available) because I think there's more worth exploring, but it's been real good so far and I'm looking forward to the finale. Appreciate Shudder making this and giving it spotlight during their biggest month of the year

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 16, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

just starting mother! and I haven't had a movie give me this much anxiety since Uncut Gems

That last half hour is still the most amazingly uncomfortable I've been in a packed theater. Great film

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have now seen roughly half of the Criterion Channel's 80s horror films, if anyone is interested.

Highest Recommendation
The Blob
Lair of the White Worm
Prince of Darkness
Road Games
The Vanishing
Vampire's Kiss

Recommended
Basket Case
The Funhouse
Near Dark
Next of Kin
Scanners
The Slumber Party Massacre

Okay
House by the Cemetery

Didn't enjoy
The Keep

Watched before but not this month
Brain Damage (don't remember much)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (tough watch, but very good)
Q: The Winged Serpent (don't remember much)
Society (would be highly recommended)
Tetsuo: The Iron Man (wasn't my thing)

I will admit that while I didn't enjoy the Keep, it seems to be a film people have polarized opinions about.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

In case anyone wasn't aware, there is a blu-ray release of Ghostwatch coming out on the 31st with an all-new documentary celebrating the 30th anniversary.

I loving love Ghostwatch. It's literally the best thing that UK television has ever produced and it has NEVER been shown on TV in the UK again because it made a lot of people very upset.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Quote-Unquote posted:

In case anyone wasn't aware, there is a blu-ray release of Ghostwatch coming out on the 31st with an all-new documentary celebrating the 30th anniversary.

I loving love Ghostwatch. It's literally the best thing that UK television has ever produced and it has NEVER been shown on TV in the UK again because it made a lot of people very upset.

I'd actually argue that The Stone Tapes is the best horror film ever made by the BBC.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Fart the Clown was a letdown and I already had zero expectations. All Hallow's Eve was some direct-to-video garbage that ended with the only reason to watch, the final segment which was just a truncated version of Terrifier.

Shart really loves painting with poo poo, apparently. It's his true form.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Twin Cinema posted:

I have now seen roughly half of the Criterion Channel's 80s horror films, if anyone is interested.

Highest Recommendation
The Blob
Lair of the White Worm
Prince of Darkness
Road Games
The Vanishing
Vampire's Kiss

Recommended
Basket Case
The Funhouse
Near Dark
Next of Kin
Scanners
The Slumber Party Massacre

Okay
House by the Cemetery

Didn't enjoy
The Keep

Watched before but not this month
Brain Damage (don't remember much)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (tough watch, but very good)
Q: The Winged Serpent (don't remember much)
Society (would be highly recommended)
Tetsuo: The Iron Man (wasn't my thing)

I will admit that while I didn't enjoy the Keep, it seems to be a film people have polarized opinions about.

So far I have seen White Worm, Prince of Darkness, Near Dark, and Scanners. Agree so far with your reviews. Probably going to watch Vampires Kiss next cause Nic Cage.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I watched The Descent again last night, for the first time in a few years, and… man.

I’ve been watching horror since I was in grade school, starting with classic Universal films of the 30s and 40s and then working my way up through more recent films as I got older.

I guess I’ve seen so many that most of them don’t scare me, it’s pretty rare that a horror film does.

But something about The Descent just gives me a major case of the willies. I think it’s a combo of everything being dark and them being a couple hundred feet underground and not knowing if there’s an exit, the creature design (them being blind and having those useless, milky-colored eyes is creepy), plus the jump-scares.

It all really adds to the growing tension, and while I think jump scares can be cheap, in this film they just all seem appropriate and earned, due to the environment.

I looked at the timestamp and it’s not until 58 minutes in that we get our first glimpse of a crawler, and one of the things I love is that the film has done a great job of getting across the idea of danger before that point.

But it’s not danger from monsters, although you know that’s coming. Instead, it’s the dangers of caving.

The moment when Sarah gets stuck trying to wriggle through a small passage is harrowing, and I’m not even really claustrophobic. And the part where one of them has to go across the ceiling to carry a line across that huge, deep pit is also pretty uncomfortable.

And then on top of all this, the moment when we learn Juno has taken them into an unexplored, unknown cave system, and the only route they know to an exit has just collapsed, is just :discourse:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

!!!!!!!!!!!

New Hell House LLC film on Shudder a year from now

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1581693092293668864

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

I'd actually argue that The Stone Tapes is the best horror film ever made by the BBC.

I think Stone Tape ends a little better than Ghostwatch, but overall I'd put Ghostwatch much higher. I dig the War Of The Worlds aspect but even just on its own I think it's a better spookytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

NikkolasKing posted:

I would assume this is the 80s version like other posters here?

I only ever saw the original since AMC in my teenage years and Whoopi Goldberg Halloween specials made me love classic horror flicks.

Yeah the list I posted isn't my personal list it's all the lists posted here combined and Cronenberg version is what they voted for.

I enjoy the original, too. Especially that ending!