Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And crtl-click the mech skills so you lower your apm to 1, which is also your entire rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I have an 80 engineer alt that I have basically just been using for flax farming that I want to make useful for other types of farming. What is the preferred easy OP mechanist build now? Is it a condition one or a power one? I know very little about the spec. My engie alt basically has nothing now so easy to acquire exotics would be nice.

If you want to be supremely lazy, make a flamethrower juggernaugt build and then any flavor of mech you want.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dzurlord posted:

So I got my first character to 80, and am messing around with Pink Floaty Knives. Which is fun and all, but I've just gotten through the first Thorns map and it seems like I'm really feeling the lack of non raptor mounts, and the jade bots seem helpful and... so should I jump through some living world or other xpack content and then come back? Something else?

Definitely get the springer or skyscale for getting around HoT. Springer is much less time investment, but skyscale w/ masteries you can switch between mount and glider and back to hit updrafts

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
I looked up the whole skyscale process, and if I can swap over to that story I will - but oof, those monetary costs.

I know this is just How MMOs Do, but I'm still hovering around 2-4 gold for the most part. Should I hit up the guild chats for dungeons or fractals? (Assuming my babbyass 80 gear is okay for them.) Try out WvW? What's the most straightforward way to dial up my income? (Which will also help me with my attempts to get decent crafting skills, for sure.)

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Jade bot is entirely a quality of life thing. Non-raptor mounts are nice, but you can do the entirety of HoT and LWS3 without them. It gets easier if you use an overlay addon with paths like TacO with the Tekkit pack.

If you were to do some PoF for some convenience, get the Raptor Mastery to Canyon Jumping and get the Springer, then push those masteries to High Jump. Those plus the Glider Masteries maxed is enough for 99% of the situations.

Edit: Skyscale is nice but a super involved late game goal and not worth delaying progressing through HoT and PoF over.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 15, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Dzurlord posted:

I looked up the whole skyscale process, and if I can swap over to that story I will - but oof, those monetary costs.

I know this is just How MMOs Do, but I'm still hovering around 2-4 gold for the most part. Should I hit up the guild chats for dungeons or fractals? (Assuming my babbyass 80 gear is okay for them.) Try out WvW? What's the most straightforward way to dial up my income? (Which will also help me with my attempts to get decent crafting skills, for sure.)

If you like fractals, they're a good way to make money and have a nice sense of progress. You'll plateau a bit as you'll need ascended gear to advance. That drops in fractals, but will still be the rate limiting step in getting to higher fractals.

Other things to do are to try and do the dailies. The EoD strike daily is 2-4 gold, the pve/wubs/PvP daily is 2g.

If you have/do EoD stuff, fishing is low investment and profitable. Keep all your yellow fish, convert the other fish into mats and trade in the fillets to get ambergris, which is just under 2g a pop.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dzurlord posted:

For PvE:

Fractals are actually fairly expensive to gear for past T1 since they require ascended gear for agony resist, but are decent cash if you do the dailies each day.

Strike missions and raids ironically have no real barriers to progress beyond the skill of the group. Full exotic gear will be more than enough for anything except a few challenge modes. It's usually pretty quick and easy to do at least the 3 easy IBS strikes and the daily strikes - though watch out for Harvest Temple in EoD, it's significantly more complex than other strikes. Dragonstorm is fast and drops a few gold in tradable items - you can do this in a public instance, or many strike groups will do it in smaller groups. Strikes and raids can also drop ascended gear which can help gearing up for fractals.

Certain map meta-events are good income to do once per-day. If you can get in a well organised meta-train you can expect around 20g/hr for its duration. You can see what's going on here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers. If you just want to do a single event until you hate the game, there's constantly running metas in drizzlewood and silverwastes.

Fishing is 30g/hr+ if you know what you're doing and enjoy staring at a fishing minigame for hours on end.

Generally, just playing the game doing whatever you enjoy will make a fairly consistent amount of money, though there's a lot of time-gating - just doing one thing repeatedly will usually hit diminishing returns very quickly. One thing to bear in mind is most of your income will come from selling materials and drops on the trading post. If you're just banking that stuff, you might be sitting on a bit of cash already.

..btt fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2022

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Do not do the Skyscale as a new player. It is content designed to keep experienced players occupied when they've finished everything else. If you dont have any resources and have never been to the zones you're probably looking at several weeks worth of doing just that.

Start PoF, grab the raptor and the Springer, and that's about all the vital prep. The Jade Bot isn't that much value outside the EoD zones and what it does provide required masteries so you'll be stuck there earning xp for a while.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imo the skimmer is nice too, some maps have a lot of water and swimming sucks. less immediately useful than the others for sure though

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I haven't tried the raids since they put in easy mode or whatever. Are they reasonably doable with inexperienced PUGs now? I raided with SFD once or twice and the thought of pugging them seems terrifying. But I really want the white mantle portal device, it's super handy in fractals.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Dzurlord posted:

So I got my first character to 80, and am messing around with Pink Floaty Knives. Which is fun and all, but I've just gotten through the first Thorns map and it seems like I'm really feeling the lack of non raptor mounts, and the jade bots seem helpful and... so should I jump through some living world or other xpack content and then come back? Something else?

doing at least PoF for the full mount profile (bonus if you do the grifffon/skyscale too) is absolutely worth it prior to touching HoT. HoT is arguably the roughest expansion both movement wise and difficulty/tuning wise.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If you're wanting to stick to the story in order, I think Raptor + Springer + Glider (with respective masteries as you can level them) is great mobility for HoT zones and you can wait for the rest of the PoF ones. Skimmer and Jackal are both useful but aren't worth going out of your way to do Heart of Thorns content.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Dzurlord posted:

If you have the living stories, Drizzlewood Coast and Dragonfall meta events are very good cash. For Heart of Thorns, doing Auric Basin and Tangled Depths meta events once per day are also gr8 cash. The Silverwastes also remain a good source of cash, if lesser than the previous options.

If you're looking for something a bit less intensive, world bosses (find their locations and timers here https://gw2efficiency.com/worldbosses ) are a good chunk of cash for minimal effort, just gotta get the waypoints.

The upcoming Halloween event will also be a great source of cash with the Mad King's Labyrinth. You can just find a group in the LFG finder, follow the commander, tag stuff. Since you mentioned playing a mesmer, https://fast.farming-community.eu/farming/builds/mesmer the maximum tagging mirage is a good build to use (you can just use cheap budget versions of everything here, like blue or green quality armor).

https://fast.farming-community.eu/farming/daily in general this site has all the tips for $$

https://discord.com/invite/hardstuck runs a meta train for 5 hours most days M-F starting at 7 AM CDT (check the events channel under community, Darens is the one who runs it). https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/guides/events/meta-event-train-the-compendium/ has a list of all the waypoints involved and what the events entail. and as Darens says, you can hop in and out any time you want.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Also once you get through the POF story, there's an extra mastery for the skimmer that lets it dive underwater & you can mount underwater (and if it hasn't changed) I think there's an extra collection you can do to find some NPC to unlock it. Or something like that. It'll be on the wiki. I remember it not being too hard or all that long. It's awesome because it makes getting down to poi's & skill points underwater (like in Orr) so much easier.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Something to keep in mind is that especially for open world stuff, a lot of your earnings come in the form of materials. So if gold is your bottleneck toward hitting a goal, don't be afraid to sell off mats from your storage.

You can use your account API to find out what all your random stuff is worth using https://gw2efficiency.com/

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

going through and doing all the return to achievements is decent if you're new too, gets you through all the story stuff, gives you lots of map currency towards the skyscale, gets you a legendary amulet, good poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

where the red fern gropes posted:

explosives 313
firearms 332
mechanist 331

berserker gear, rifle

use the signets

Ok it's taken me until now to get together my berserkers gear and do this but all I have to say is LOL

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what kind of recovery/sustain does power mech have for open world? is it just the passive signet recovery?

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013
Pretty much everything dies before it gets to you. But when you need it the signet active heals for a lot and has a short cooldown.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

queeb posted:

what kind of recovery/sustain does power mech have for open world? is it just the passive signet recovery?

let your robot tank stuff, since enemies will generally favor hitting it due to it being tankier.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You can also swap to mace/shield for extra defense since you have lots of barrier and high regeneration uptime. Even though it’s technically a condi weapon you deal plenty of dmg with pure power.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I mean, the legends were all true. Stuff just melts without me having to do much of anything.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Nothing to see here. Game balance in all game types is totally fine. Move along.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

insertdumbnamehere posted:

Pretty much everything dies before it gets to you. But when you need it the signet active heals for a lot and has a short cooldown.

plus the passive effect of your signets is traited to be active even when they are on cooldown

it really couldn't be any easier or stronger

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CODChimera posted:

plus the passive effect of your signets is traited to be active even when they are on cooldown

it really couldn't be any easier or stronger

no no you take the trait that reduces mech cooldowns and gives you quickness, you never need to touch the signets

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

in many ways mechanist is simply the final evolution of bearbow, only you're using a gun and the bear also has a gun.

meanwhile untamed....

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

no no you take the trait that reduces mech cooldowns and gives you quickness, you never need to touch the signets

hmm alright will give that a try

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So i discovered that when you make 250 mith earrings for the purpose of making research notes.

you dont have to buy a research kit to salvage them. You just tick the box at the bottom that gives the notes. I sort of expected you would need a research salvage kit in your inventory, but you dont.

(i ended up with 3 before i realised i wasnt using them up....)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yep, that was thankfully added in the latest patch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The low/high contrast cursor is a life saver.
I can now actually see where the hell I'm targeting without having to use the annoying cursor tracker in Blish.

Also, I must be super lucky because I bought $35 worth of gems but it didn't go through, so an hour later I tried and had the same issue.

About another hour later my account got charged $70 but they gave me $105 worth of gems.

So obviously I bought the maid package and volatile tools. Hopefully there are some tasty Halloween items this year :getin:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
They added a jade bot mini that uses the jade bot skin you have equipped. Downside is I might actually be tempted by jade bot skins now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MajorBonnet posted:

They added a jade bot mini that uses the jade bot skin you have equipped. Downside is I might actually be tempted by jade bot skins now.

Oh poo poo really?
I have both of them (RNG luck) and wouldn't mind seeing them more.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Holy poo poo, the living seasons are finally on sale and the Halloween cosmetics look great. I think I'm gonna need some more gems.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Holy poo poo, the living seasons are finally on sale and the Halloween cosmetics look great. I think I'm gonna need some more gems.

:same:

I took a break from this game for the first half of 2021 and missed out on getting Seasons 2 and 3 for free, so now's my chance to get them at a decent discount (though for some reason the gem store is trying to sell me episode 1 of Season 4 even though I already own it and can even start it :confused:).

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I hate this clock tower. WHY MUST IT BE A GROUP RACE?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pointlessone posted:

halloween should always have a little bit of pain

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pointlessone posted:

It's not a race. Everyone that completes it gets the same prize.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It's not a race. Everyone that completes it gets the same prize.

they probably mean its a race as in timed and in a group so you cant just start again if you fail early. its a pretty common complaint about it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CODChimera posted:

they probably mean its a race as in timed and in a group so you cant just start again if you fail early. its a pretty common complaint about it

Oh, right, duh.

I just make it to the end every time, no problem :smug:

After years of practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

CODChimera posted:

Christmas one isn't that bad even though it's basically the same because you can just restart hen you fall instead of needing to wait for the one person in the group to either finish, or you're the one in the group making everyone else wait. Tried for over an hour last night with a TacO helper, still never made it.