Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The Excavation of Hob's Barrow is good. It's on the easier side for an adventure game but I think the folk horror stuff works pretty well.

Fatal Frame holds up decently imo. I'm generally sympathetic to the idea the survival horror can be amplified by clunkier controls and enemies that sometimes feel mismatched to them a little but FF doesn't quiet get it right every time. Several of the later game ghosts end up being more annoying than tense or scary.

Please have a nice rest of your Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Infinitum posted:

Mirrors Edge was a lot of fun.

Did Catalyst end up being good? All I can remember about it is during development they modelled the villain after the EA CEO, then he found out, and then suddenly they had a new model :v:

Catalyst is one of my favorite games of all time, both Mirror's games are. They are some of my ideal games. Warts and all I could rant about Catalyst for days, which I doubt anyone would want to read. I love both, but Catalyst more.

Both games were huge critical/commercial flops.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

mirror's edge is good whenever you don't have a gun, which is thankfully like 95% of the game

Reminding me that Scorn is good when you don't have a gun, which is unfortunately 15% of the game

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Mirrors Edge kicked rear end

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Thompsons posted:

This is the second time in as many months that I've seen a dev complain directly to the consumer about their salaries and it's like, what the gently caress do you expect us to do about it? I can't collectively bargain on your behalf, if you want more money then maybe it's time this industry nutted up and tried to form a union somewhere.

Isn’t the easy reply to this to mention something about how wages have barely increased so if anything folks are “under-charging” for their labor or something to that effect?

Like, yeah it sucks but don’t attack across/down like a garbage tier human being. Pathetic.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reminding me that Scorn is good when you don't have a gun, which is unfortunately 15% of the game

This is sadly very true.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to play mirror’s edge again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Yeah that dude can gently caress off. Bad enough 70 dollars to charge for ports/remasters. Woooo.

It is interesting to think about because adjusted for inflation yeah games and consoles cost less, but on the whole more discretionary purchases are required for their full functionality. That said, most games are a lot more involved, full-fledged experiences than the arcade fare of the PSX gen, but microtransactions leave a bad stink and overall human quality of life is so much shittier than it was 30 years ago.

I dunno, I guess it's hard for me to look at something like Elden Ring and not see it as one of the best videogame deals of all time, along with Uncharted 2, Goldeneye, and Super Mario World. I feel like games are better than they ever have been, but there is a lot more trash to sift through as well, so Sturgeon's Law.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SilentHill/status/1581754587563708416?t=EHX1DfHDWoYpwRYAcxorCA&s=19

Get ready for Bloober

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pooper Team

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wouldn't mind paying 70 bucks for an AAA game if they didn't have any microtransactions, lootboxes or battle passes

Pretty sure that no publisher is gonna take me up on that

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

I wouldn't mind paying 70 bucks for an AAA game if they didn't have any microtransactions, lootboxes or battle passes

Pretty sure that no publisher is gonna take me up on that

Elden Ring is 60, and Returnal comes to mind

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I am

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes but I remember getting kind of irritated with the brightness and color scheme of Mirror's Edge. It's a fun game but it made my eyes sore after a while. Super Mario Sunshine has the same problem. There's only so many bright, primary colors I can take. I found it funny that in SMS they included a sunglasses mode but only after you beat the game. Thanks, Nintendo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Catalyst is one of my favorite games of all time, both Mirror's games are. They are some of my ideal games. Warts and all I could rant about Catalyst for days, which I doubt anyone would want to read. I love both, but Catalyst more.

Both games were huge critical/commercial flops.

I got the original Mirror's Edge free with a package of Gillette razor cartridges. Seriously.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Elden Ring is 60, and Returnal comes to mind

Returnal isn't AAA is it? The dev Housemarque is more like mid-sized, not one of those huge megastudios.
I don't really know what the distinction is for AAA though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

AceOfFlames posted:

I got the original Mirror's Edge free with a package of Gillette razor cartridges. Seriously.

lmao thats brilliant

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Returnal isn't AAA is it? The dev Housemarque is more like mid-sized, not one of those huge megastudios.
I don't really know what the distinction is for AAA though.

I thought AAA just reflected the game's budget :shrug: , it's a pretty expensive game, and Housemarque is no longer an indie studio. Returnal is considered their first AAA or 'prestige' game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Whoops, I'll take your word for it.

To be fair I've never played returnal or watched more than like 15 seconds clips of gameplay, I just had a vague understanding that it was some kinda roguelike run-based shooter (which is a genre which usually screams indie or mid-budget to me).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Returnal is amazing, don't sleep on it like I did.

If you have the PS+ Ultra Hyper Deluxe Omega sub you get it as part of the game library

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mutata posted:

Both of these people are stupid, which is not surprising because, and you may have missed this initially, they are both posting on Twitter.

have to agree

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Today I saw a child (5ish?) with a majora’s mask t-shirt, wonder what happened there

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Today I saw a child (5ish?) with a majora’s mask t-shirt, wonder what happened there

time traveler

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember shortly after Mirror's Edge first came out I saw a few posts online complaining about how if you mess with the game to look at it in 3rd person, the animations are weird. Like, yeah no poo poo the animations are weird, they designed it for 1st person not 3rd person lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Must've been a really big shirt to fit all those kids

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1581776392030543873

maybe they should try it a third time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mirror's Edge sucked real bad

Stux posted:

have to agree

Yes

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jay Rust posted:

they have been met with a terrible fate, haven't they

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe the 5 year old's parents bought the shirt

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

People who were teenagers playing the sad moon game in 2000 started having kids about five years ago.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i don't think it's impossible for a young kid growing up in the internet and smartphone age to have been shown their dad's favorite cool old game and taken a liking to it

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Infinitum posted:

Mirrors Edge was a lot of fun.

Did Catalyst end up being good? All I can remember about it is during development they modelled the villain after the EA CEO, then he found out, and then suddenly they had a new model :v:

I love both Mirror's Edge and Catalyst. Catalyst suffers a lot from mid 2010s AAA bloat, but running around the city was a ton of fun. Catalyst also had a really cool combat system that encouraged keeping up speed and momentum, and it would be great to see another game incorporate those mechanics. But really, I want another Mirror's Edge game, but I don't think it'll ever happen again. :(

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

After shouting "gently caress you!" at my tv more times in the last two days than in the entire previous year, I have decided to put Circle of the Moon on hold for a while. As a palette cleanser, I have moved on to Harmony of Dissonance because why not, it came with the bundle too.

Oh my God it's like night and day, I feel like I can breathe again. I had forgotten that controls could feel snappy and that there are enemies that can actually be dodged, and whose attacks don't loving petrify you or send you flopping across the screen like a hocked loogie. It's all so garish and acid trip colorful, it's like playing the videogame adaptation of Creepshow, or some old EC horror comic.

Music's more forgettable though, I kinda miss the surf rock

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jay Rust posted:

Kid with good taste

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didnt even know G4TV relaunched. Where could you even watch it? Was it on Youtube?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The child was kidnapped by time travelers and you could've helped them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I didnt even know G4TV relaunched. Where could you even watch it? Was it on Youtube?

You were supposed to contact your local cable provider and say "GIVE ME MY G4TV!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Asterite34 posted:

After shouting "gently caress you!" at my tv more times in the last two days than in the entire previous year, I have decided to put Circle of the Moon on hold for a while. As a palette cleanser, I have moved on to Harmony of Dissonance because why not, it came with the bundle too.

Oh my God it's like night and day, I feel like I can breathe again. I had forgotten that controls could feel snappy and that there are enemies that can actually be dodged, and whose attacks don't loving petrify you or send you flopping across the screen like a hocked loogie. It's all so garish and acid trip colorful, it's like playing the videogame adaptation of Creepshow, or some old EC horror comic.

Music's more forgettable though, I kinda miss the surf rock

Circle of the Moon owns but it really expects some grinding or certain cards to not get owned

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Completionist/status/1581776851663364096

how does this keep happening lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo I missed Mirror's Edge talk? Adored that game and I'm Still Alive still comes into my head unbeckoned at least once a month.

Also Silent Hill reveals October 19th, Suikoden remakes around the corner, Fatal Frame slowly but surely getting re releases, I'm really enjoying this period.