Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Atticus_1354 posted:

It's more at risk of breaking or falling, but you'd be surprised how long they can last like that. The leaves and outside are still living and often don't show much negative effect until its pretty advanced.

I had to cut down an 80-YO ash tree in my yard after I hit the base of the trunk with the lawnmower & a big chunk of bark fell off, exposing this:

At the time I covered up my arm & gloved up, and reached up into the hole; I could not find the top.

It went up about six feet, and at least half of the base of the trunk was compromised.

I have no idea why it didn't snap in high winds. The extension service noted that the rot had been going on probably for decades, and that the thickening at the bottom 4-feet of trunk was the tree's efforts to restore structural stability.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
London'sLeed's burning

https://i.imgur.com/koNRUvq.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
To go back to the topic from a few pages ago, of starting fires using petrol, back in 2006 the owner of a failing restaurant decided that an insurance fire was his best way out.

Note that this picture was taken from the first floor (US: second floor) of the building across the street:

They found his body in the rubble and his car in the alley behind the restaurant, with the keys still in the ignition.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Just keep a Leatherman in your DJ bag/guitar case like a goddamn grownup :psyduck:

But I’m the person people flag down at gigs because I always have extra cables and tools, so maybe that’s just me.

I mean, I never get searched but I imagine security wouldn't be too happy to see my EOD Tool come out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
instant beach
https://i.imgur.com/v4oGOyq.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean, I never get searched but I imagine security wouldn't be too happy to see my EOD Tool come out.

I was about to ask what security? why would they care? but then I remembered that most of the shows I've been to/helped at were put on in the back of a pizza restaurant by a friend of mine for a few dozen fans and, later, at a bar run by that friend's bandmate. No one gave a gently caress.

And were probably OSHA sites...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

It's a tool for disabling bombs. You'd think they'd be happy to see it!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I got stopped by a show's security once for having a micron pen and a mechanical pencil in my pocket.

safety

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PainterofCrap posted:

I had to cut down an 80-YO ash tree in my yard after I hit the base of the trunk with the lawnmower & a big chunk of bark fell off, exposing this:

At the time I covered up my arm & gloved up, and reached up into the hole; I could not find the top.

It went up about six feet, and at least half of the base of the trunk was compromised.

I have no idea why it didn't snap in high winds. The extension service noted that the rot had been going on probably for decades, and that the thickening at the bottom 4-feet of trunk was the tree's efforts to restore structural stability.

I had this water oak that was well over 6ft wide in some places removed a few days ago:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Just keep a Leatherman in your DJ bag/guitar case like a goddamn grownup :psyduck:

But I’m the person people flag down at gigs because I always have extra cables and tools, so maybe that’s just me.

Yeah but as I recall you're a soundperson, not a loving DJ. I thought Mister Speaker was too but now I'm not so sure.

DJs - not even once.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I found this on tumblr and thought it was cute.

quote:

Komatsu D155W Amphibious Radio-Controlled Bulldozer
Komatsu Limited, Tokyo, Japan
Thirty-six units were manufactured in the early 1970s and only the five units owned by the Asunaro Aoki Construction Company survive. These bulldozers were fully restored for reconstruction work following the Great East Japan Earthquake of 2011.
image credit: Komatsu
lower image: “Tall Swivel 155”, a childrens book by Komori Makoto celebrating the D155W. National Association of School Libraries, Selected Books (2016).
Published by Kaisei-Sha Publishing Co., 2016.

edit: https://www.tumblr.com/cetaceous is a good follow for "images of technology"

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 16, 2022

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that thing for bulldozing the sea floor?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I wonder how many pairs of sunglasses that thing dredges up.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Karate Bastard posted:

Is that thing for bulldozing the sea floor?

You can see from the cartoon that it has a chimney and air intake so it obviously can't dive that deep.
would 70s tech even suffice for building a deep diving wireless bulldozer?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

By popular demand posted:

You can see from the cartoon that it has a chimney and air intake so it obviously can't dive that deep.

:blink:

it's still the sea floor if it's only like 20 feet under. it sure looks to me like it's designed for driving underwater

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cowabunga.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rju5mmbY2t1r0uzl6.mp4

wear your seatbelt
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rjtx24n1OI1vmay6q.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rju3za3XHg1r0uzl6.mp4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

drat trees are magic.

Also reminds me of a popscience video that explains how trees move water up so high by using "negative pressure" (i probably need to rewatch the video, but apparently liquids can have negative pressure??)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

drat trees are magic.

Also reminds me of a popscience video that explains how trees move water up so high by using "negative pressure" (i probably need to rewatch the video, but apparently liquids can have negative pressure??)

"Negative pressure" just means "The pressure is lower than the surrounding area."

Hospitals can use it in ventilation to prevent contamination - if Something Bad Happens in an area that stores Bad Things What Make You Sick, air naturally rushes into the area, the only place the Bad Things What Make You Sick can go is through air vents set up with filters.

For tree, part of it is capillary action, part of it is like... The water evaporates off the leaves and that creates the negative pressure - like what you can do yourself when you drink from a straw.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah its actual negative as in below-vacuum pressure,

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Negative pressure is what you get when you keep filling a volume with antimatter

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Nah its actual negative as in below-vacuum pressure,

But that can only be achieved at below absolute zero temperature

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah, its several mechanisms, chiefly capillary action since the xylem acts like a bundle of very thin straws, and waters surface tension pulls it upwards.

Thorny devils exploit the same principle so they can drink water without losing sight of their surroundings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRF-6iKuEqc&t=52

Video doesnt show it but they can also just stand in water and it will snake its way up to their mouth.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SyNack Sassimov posted:

DJs - not even once.

:jerkbag:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Another fine example of negative pressure right there.

Please note the pumping hand motions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

But that can only be achieved at below absolute zero temperature

Or with something that yanks on water harder than a vacuum.

It's an interesting effect, and answers one of those gotcha questions of "so 1 atmosphere of pressure is equivalent to 33 feet of water, so how do trees fet taller than that?"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's easy to see if you think of a tree as a 40 foot straw with your mom on top of it

or Nickelback I guess

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Video doesnt show it but they can also just stand in water and it will snake its way up to their mouth.
Lol, imagine being so lazy you won't even lower your head to drink some water. "Eh, I'll just soak it up through my feet".

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hollow tree tales: my grandfather was an old time logger in Revelstoke, BC, where they would regularly have massive snowfalls and cold winters. One winter he was out in the woods with his sledge and draft horses and he felled a hollow tree. Out of it flew a black cloud of millions of mosquitoes!!!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
modern day people with science knowledge : [this is how trees work and its possible some animals just live inside the tube]

dumb people past and present : devil tree. lord of the flys

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

modern day people with science knowledge : [this is how trees work and its possible some animals just live inside the tube]

dumb people past and present : devil tree. lord of the flys

Both can be true.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Beelzebub is real and strong and forklift-certified

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Like, it does kill the tree. It's a failure mode for them. Some animals may well live in them but the tree will eventually rot enough to fall over. It's also gross. Rotten poo poo water.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Like, it does kill the tree. It's a failure mode for them. Some animals may well live in them but the tree will eventually rot enough to fall over. It's also gross. Rotten poo poo water.

Our first attempts at plumbing were also pretty crude. Give the squirrels a break.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Be sure to use ppe and whole organic eye of newt.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/VdI0ubQ.mp4

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah but as I recall you're a soundperson, not a loving DJ. I thought Mister Speaker was too but now I'm not so sure.

DJs - not even once.

I do both, actually. And I'm a pain in the rear end guitaist/vocalist. Just the worst.

That said, I can't recall there ever being security at the kind of gigs I've been a part of, but then again they're the kind of gigs that happen in bingo halls, regularly involve homeless people performing, and often require that I run around telling people not to get so high they can't keep track of what's going on. I'm not sure if that's more or less OSHA.wav than working at venues that want to make sure you're not carrying a Sawzall with your Ibanez.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Was waiting for him to hurt himself

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

What a king. In sandals, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011