Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The new Steam release is exposing a lot of new people who can't deal with the cutscene heavy story and I'm living for it

If you don't think a story about three countries waging war over salt and the people who are caught in-between is the dopest poo poo then get out of my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mr. Trampoline posted:

The new Steam release is exposing a lot of new people who can't deal with the cutscene heavy story and I'm living for it

If you don't think a story about three countries waging war over salt and the people who are caught in-between is the dopest poo poo then get out of my face

I mean it *is* a hard sell for most people. Luckily I loving at it up.

e: I want to double dip for the 60 fps, but $60 hurts. I think I'm just gonna replay it again while I wait for Tactics Ogre

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1580634478493372417?s=46&t=Cd8r0aTpBAgCHzHV-hpoIA

This game is 30% off. A great deal!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm considering buying the Swtich version even though Tactics Ogre comes out in less than 4 weeks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm considering buying the Swtich version even though Tactics Ogre comes out in less than 4 weeks.

It’s on sale and the game really lends itself to portability. It’s also an excellent game. I’ve never played TO and likely will but I hear that’s old. That’s not a complaint but TS definitely is meant for a modern audience and it has nice streamlined conventions.

Just beat the 1st chapter on hard mode. Got Trish in a position where she wouldn’t fire on Roland who was able to dodge the few arrows she did fire with only 2 evasion bracelets and an evasion at 66.

The others took to the water, the plume triggered twice and I had Geela miracle Serenoa which was lucky but I had the QP to rez him anyway still that helped immensely.

The other trick is to lob items at them if they can’t attack. It’s slow but regular damage.

Now it’s time to really get started. :getin:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when in doubt always get the new game

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It’s on sale and the game really lends itself to portability. It’s also an excellent game. I’ve never played TO and likely will but I hear that’s old. That’s not a complaint but TS definitely is meant for a modern audience and it has nice streamlined conventions.

Just beat the 1st chapter on hard mode. Got Trish in a position where she wouldn’t fire on Roland who was able to dodge the few arrows she did fire with only 2 evasion bracelets and an evasion at 66.

The others took to the water, the plume triggered twice and I had Geela miracle Serenoa which was lucky but I had the QP to rez him anyway still that helped immensely.

The other trick is to lob items at them if they can’t attack. It’s slow but regular damage.

Now it’s time to really get started. :getin:

I don't think that I am going to buy TS because of the upcoming release and the fact that my RPG backlog in particular is very long, but I encourage you to try Tactics Ogre as the remake fixes a lot of the bad, old-school design problems that the game had.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

JustJeff88 posted:

You should, the game is really fun especially towards the later portions.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I will buy all of the srpgs on the switch. Please and thank you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think that I am going to buy TS because of the upcoming release and the fact that my RPG backlog in particular is very long, but I encourage you to try Tactics Ogre as the remake fixes a lot of the bad, old-school design problems that the game had.

Oh I will. I love SRPGs. Just don’t write this one off. It’s excellent.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I will. I love SRPGs. Just don’t write this one off. It’s excellent.

I'm not, but it's still a quite pricey game and I have too many others as-is.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what if i told you, triangle strategy is better than tactics ogre

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looper posted:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Looper posted:

many are saying this

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I realise that in a thread dedicated to the game I can't really expect people not to be drooling fans, but I'm not going to declare TS to be better than a game that is not out yet. I really liked the PSP version but it was A) on the damned PSP and B) full of piss-taking design decisions. Given that the Switch version will have none of A) and much less of B), I think that I'm justified in looking forward to it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm just sad the obvious Tactics Ogre reference in the golden route doesn't match up with the new enhanced port's subtitle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Prowler posted:

I'm just sad the obvious Tactics Ogre reference in the golden route doesn't match up with the new enhanced port's subtitle.

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean.

Let us cling together. Serenoa says it in the Golden Route.

I think there is also a reference to "blame yourself or God," but that could more easily be seen as a coincidence.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 18, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Prowler posted:

Let us cling together. Serenoa says it in the Golden Route.

I think there is also a reference to "blame yourself or God," but that could more easily be seen as a coincidence.

Oh, I was correct then. I thought that there was another Queen reference somewhere that I had forgotten but would have made a good sub-title.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Did a random character run and the party it gave me was Serenoa (obv), Julio, Narve, Corentin, Geela, Anna, Hughette, Groma, Trish and Frederica (was supposed to be Giovanna but i never got enough Liberty).

Really increased my appreciation of Corentin. He was always my least-used caster but he carried here. Not having a mid-game tank meant using a lot of Ice Wall, and once Julio unlocked Inheritor, Corentin was able to use Glacial Moon on his first two turns...

Even without the multiple endings and the new game plus, this game has so much replay value by mixing up the party like that.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mustard Iceman posted:

Did a random character run and the party it gave me was Serenoa (obv), Julio, Narve, Corentin, Geela, Anna, Hughette, Groma, Trish and Frederica (was supposed to be Giovanna but i never got enough Liberty).

Really increased my appreciation of Corentin. He was always my least-used caster but he carried here. Not having a mid-game tank meant using a lot of Ice Wall, and once Julio unlocked Inheritor, Corentin was able to use Glacial Moon on his first two turns...

Even without the multiple endings and the new game plus, this game has so much replay value by mixing up the party like that.

I regularly rotated my party. Spent a lot of time between story missions keeping every character up to the appropriate level, which meant a lot of mixing things up which was so much fun. Every character I ended up unlocking was useful in at least some situations, with Giovanna and Jens being probably the most situational.

I threw the Obsidian Anklet on Decimal because why the heck not and he absolutely dominated all but the most spread out maps.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

How did you choose randomly? Corentin is great though. Strong caster and once he can auto generate TP you don't need Julio or Medina on him.

Ace Transmuter posted:

I regularly rotated my party. Spent a lot of time between story missions keeping every character up to the appropriate level, which meant a lot of mixing things up which was so much fun. Every character I ended up unlocking was useful in at least some situations, with Giovanna and Jens being probably the most situational.

I threw the Obsidian Anklet on Decimal because why the heck not and he absolutely dominated all but the most spread out maps.

I really really like Giovanna. I wish she were a touch physically stronger, but frankly paired with your calvary, they make a deadly as hell trio, since she can mop up whatever Roland or Hossabara fail to kill. Her movement is crazy and it isn't hard to make her terrain gimmick useful with ice stones, or Ezana's rain spell. Set the three them up and have them go on wild flanking strikes around bigger maps.

Jens is "map" dependent but there's a lot of maps where he's great. Ladders are always helpful, and the springs are great on any sort of choke point. Plus he hits well. You can probably use him decently on almost all maps, especially once you begin learning enemy AI and placing springs like a savant.

I think Trish has really gone down in my opinion. Yes she has great mobility, but she's rather inefficient on turn economy, or rather she's not efficient as I would like. Best case scenario, you lose a full turn activating Act Twice, and you use it by leaping on one turn and then launching a rather weak attack, and doing that twice until act twice runs out. The thing is, leap only gets her as far as what Hughette is already moving pretty much, and Hughette can at least inflict Status Effects. Rudolph has bad accuracy but at least he has some nice status effects and can take a hit or two.

My least two used characters are probably Benedict and Lionel. The former has some clear benefits, but I almost always want a different support character or some firepower. And Lionel... I get his niche but yeah, I think I roll with Flanagan and Erador enough that his Fury just isn't necessary.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How did you choose randomly? Corentin is great though. Strong caster and once he can auto generate TP you don't need Julio or Medina on him.

I really really like Giovanna. I wish she were a touch physically stronger, but frankly paired with your calvary, they make a deadly as hell trio, since she can mop up whatever Roland or Hossabara fail to kill. Her movement is crazy and it isn't hard to make her terrain gimmick useful with ice stones, or Ezana's rain spell. Set the three them up and have them go on wild flanking strikes around bigger maps.

I'm a huge fan of Giovanna, but I'll admit there are times where she just doesn't provide the output that you need from her. Pair her with Corentin (or just throw ice crystals at her feet) on a small map or near a choke point? Hilarity ensues.

quote:

Jens is "map" dependent but there's a lot of maps where he's great. Ladders are always helpful, and the springs are great on any sort of choke point. Plus he hits well. You can probably use him decently on almost all maps, especially once you begin learning enemy AI and placing springs like a savant.

I think I would have appreciate Jens more as an all-rounder if I could've ever figured out proper spring trap placement.

quote:

I think Trish has really gone down in my opinion. Yes she has great mobility, but she's rather inefficient on turn economy, or rather she's not efficient as I would like. Best case scenario, you lose a full turn activating Act Twice, and you use it by leaping on one turn and then launching a rather weak attack, and doing that twice until act twice runs out. The thing is, leap only gets her as far as what Hughette is already moving pretty much, and Hughette can at least inflict Status Effects. Rudolph has bad accuracy but at least he has some nice status effects and can take a hit or two.

Trish saved my bacon way too many times for me to completely discount her, but I think on balance she's probably the least useful of the game's archers. When my options are "take a unit out of the fight for a few rounds", "do that and also stop enemy movement", and "every couple of turns just delete one unit that offends you from literally anywhere on the map", Trish's shtick just doesn't stand out quite as well.

quote:

My least two used characters are probably Benedict and Lionel. The former has some clear benefits, but I almost always want a different support character or some firepower. And Lionel... I get his niche but yeah, I think I roll with Flanagan and Erador enough that his Fury just isn't necessary.

Benedict eventually became a physical tank for me; I found his abilities to be fairly limited in value except for his most expensive moves. Lionel's job is to shut down enemy mages, which is actually tremendously helpful in keeping Flanagan and Erador alive.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How did you choose randomly?
Just used a list randomizer with all of the characters names in it, excluding the 1600s because it's really hard to get there. Serenoa defaults to #1, obviously.

Then using the list as a priority... for example, Trish and Groma were #4 & #5 on the list but I didn't unlock them until Ch. 15, so I spent a lot of the game using Piccoletta and Archibald, who were in at #11 and #12, respectively. 11/12, then benched them after unlocking those two.

~Chapter 3 decision is based on whomever is higher on the list (Corentin or Rudolph)
~Same with Chapter 15 and the four outcomes there (which can also affect Chapter 11).
~Chapter 17 decision also based on the highest-rank of the three decision-making characters there.
~Golden Route is required if the route-exclusive/required characters are both in the top 10 and ranked above the non-Golden Chapter 15s.
~Every other chapter, you can pick whatever, but avoid the "mandatory Roland" fights if he's not in your top ten. It's not fun having to keep a Lv. 5 Roland alive in Chapter 14 (it's not fun having Roland ever, but this is especially true here).
~I set an arbitrary limit of one of the 1050/750 characters as well though it's technically possible to get all three without grinding if you manage your convictions perfectly.
~I also set a personal rule that Lionel is allowed for tavern battles only to gather up Coin.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Corentin is great though. Strong caster and once he can auto generate TP you don't need Julio or Medina on him.
Yeah he unlocks that late, though. Once he did, I was able to have Julio as an attacker (he's real good against shield-bearers) or propping up Narve instead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ace Transmuter posted:

I think I would have appreciate Jens more as an all-rounder if I could've ever figured out proper spring trap placement.

The trick to Jens is that he has pretty solid defenses and a decent attack for when you for some reason don't feel like planting a trap, but also definitely get him the upgrade that makes traps cost 1 TP as soon as possible.

Worst case when you plant a trap, it only ends an enemy turn, which is usually a fair enough trade. Best case congrats on absolutely trivializing a fight by knocking the boss off a ledge, or out of formation where you can surround and murder them. This applies to more maps than you might think.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The trick to Jens is that he has pretty solid defenses and a decent attack for when you for some reason don't feel like planting a trap, but also definitely get him the upgrade that makes traps cost 1 TP as soon as possible.

Worst case when you plant a trap, it only ends an enemy turn, which is usually a fair enough trade. Best case congrats on absolutely trivializing a fight by knocking the boss off a ledge, or out of formation where you can surround and murder them. This applies to more maps than you might think.

Can't find that video where I had Erador knock Falkes down a level, into a spring trap which launched him down another level, on top of another spring trap which launched him even further.

Chaining spring traps is incredibly satisfying.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

Trish saved my bacon way too many times for me to completely discount her, but I think on balance she's probably the least useful of the game's archers. When my options are "take a unit out of the fight for a few rounds", "do that and also stop enemy movement", and "every couple of turns just delete one unit that offends you from literally anywhere on the map", Trish's shtick just doesn't stand out quite as well.

Benedict eventually became a physical tank for me; I found his abilities to be fairly limited in value except for his most expensive moves. Lionel's job is to shut down enemy mages, which is actually tremendously helpful in keeping Flanagan and Erador alive.

Agreed with Trish, she's not a bad unit, but she's not the best archer unfortunately. I was quite enamored with her at first, but in practice she ended up not standing out.

I should use Ben more often because aside from being super weak, you're right, he's a drat good tank. It's just you often have to wait for his powers to get TP and then you get the incredible useful shield. Maybe keeping him in a wall in front of a mage and feeding them with Medina would be a good plan, but it's so turtly to feel cheap, a bit like using Quahog and Ezana, two characters who're undeniably great but who I don't use too often.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Just used a list randomizer with all of the characters names in it, excluding the 1600s because it's really hard to get there. Serenoa defaults to #1, obviously.

See I don't think I'd do that early in the game. I'm finally doing my first hard mode on my final run for Golden Route, and everyone's max level with max weapons. Now you can really do some interesting things.

I need to make save files for interesting maps/levels. I'm definitely going to save before the level 15 choice, but I think I will also before the Sorsley route choices too since those offer some unique battles whose maps I haven't seen in Mock Battles. I'll probably make a save for the giving up Roland and one obviously before the final choice of the game.

Other suggestions? I've currently just got back from the first trip to Aesfront/Hyzante so I'm pretty early in the run.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't really know why this happened but in my first playthrough of the game I completely avoided him. It wasn't until my 2nd that I started using him, and he owns so much especially once you unlock glacial moon.

Towards the later portions of the game you can easily cheese fights with glacial moon spam too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't really know why this happened but in my first playthrough of the game I completely avoided him. It wasn't until my 2nd that I started using him, and he owns so much especially once you unlock glacial moon.

Towards the later portions of the game you can easily cheese fights with glacial moon spam too.

You get some hints at who you'll pick up in either area, but frankly hearing the descriptions of 'ice mage' in the ministry of medicine vs outlaw smuggler archer, I mean come on, for me the latter sounds far more intriguing. Plus Aesfrost appeals to me more as a destination over Hyzante.

That said I played the first demo and knew that Corentin was insanely useful, so I made it a point to get him first regardless, and frankly he's far more useful than Rudolph.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I went to Hyzante because I had just recently seen a scene where we've got a guy who's sick followed by a scene about how they've got advanced medicine in Hyzante. Seemed pretty logical to me.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I chose Hyzante because A) Frederica wanted to see her homeland and just left Aesfrost, where she was treated like garbage B) her marriage to Serenoa was political and relations with Hyzante could possibly be strained as a result, so let's go there to assure them it's all good in the hood.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I definitely chose Hyzante because I wasn't about to make Frederica go back to Aesfrost immediately

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, abusante was the obvious pick for me as well; Frederica wanted to go there, there was an ice mage, they were famously egalitarian, it was the one nation with which Wolffort didn’t have diplomatic ties, Exharme seemed cool, and I figured the plot would force me to visit Aesfrost at some point regardless.

I mean it turned out literally all of that was wrong other than Corentin being there, but hey, he’s cool.

E: you know what, I am going to leave in that autocorrect

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

100YrsofAttitude posted:

See I don't think I'd do that early in the game. I'm finally doing my first hard mode on my final run for Golden Route, and everyone's max level with max weapons. Now you can really do some interesting things.
I like doing it from a fresh save because it forces me to think strategically about how to use resources for weapon upgrades, which characters to promote, etc.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Not sure if this counts as rezing a dead thread, but I've been slowly clawing my way through my game backlog and finally started this over the last couple weeks. I'm only on Chapter 8 of....whatever route?, and I have to say, I'm floored by the quality of the writing and story. It is just so refreshing to choose the "It's a Trap" option because rock/you/hard place, and everyone plays it knowing it's a trap instead of your team just blindly following along as if you're god arbiter who can never make a bad decision.

Also, Anna is loving nutso. She's by far my best unit because being able to do two actions a turn gives her soooooo much XP and Take Cover keeps her from getting massacred after crossing enemy lines.

The one question I have before I ignore this thread to prevent spoilers: Which side characters should I be keeping an eye out for for utility/power purposes? The only one that's really gotten my attention so far outside the main 8 is the blacksmith. Even his basic traps are crazy good at gumming up the board. The fact that his spring trap interrupts an enemy unit's turn on top of shoving them where you want and even possibly doing damage is amazing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Most of the characters have their uses. Corentin is really good, Medina is extremely good in NG+, Julio is very useful. I like using Narve.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
There's a quite new LP of this on the forum, if anyone is interested.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The one question I have before I ignore this thread to prevent spoilers: Which side characters should I be keeping an eye out for for utility/power purposes? The only one that's really gotten my attention so far outside the main 8 is the blacksmith. Even his basic traps are crazy good at gumming up the board. The fact that his spring trap interrupts an enemy unit's turn on top of shoving them where you want and even possibly doing damage is amazing.

Just keep playing and you're likely to get all the characters without much difficulty, though you do need 4 playthroughs to get everyone. Everyone has a niche and there are truly no really "bad" characters. You just need to know how to use them and create situations where they are good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fangz posted:

Most of the characters have their uses. Corentin is really good, Medina is extremely good in NG+, Julio is very useful. I like using Narve.

Yeah even on hard mode you can basically play whatever party matches your playstyle. I love archibald although his movement is not that good.

There are a few characters who's skillsets are kind of OP and imo make the game boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That ladder guy is useless except on maps where he's useful, then suddenly... drat.