Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Reik posted:

It's only by the end of the second episode that the main character knows every maid there is in on it, it's not just that Ranko is a murder maniac. There's still room for this kind of stuff, and I imagine the fact that the old lady was killed in 1985, around the same time Ranko would've been born, will come up sooner or later.

The show's set in 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranko's also pretty clearly in the 1985 scene.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Been watching Raven of the Palace and I'm really getting into it so far but I just have one issue with it. The series is drenched in the styles of Chinese imperial palace intrigue, but the dialog is in Japanese. It's just a little jarring. It's like if I was watching a movie set in the court of Louis XIV at Versailles but the film itself was in German. My brain just kind of rebels against it a little bit, even if I am otherwise enjoying it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V3CmVKbUNE

Trigun Stampede confirmed for next season

Not terribly thrilled about this, especially that they're not bringing Imahori back for the soundtrack...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kvantum posted:

Been watching Raven of the Palace and I'm really getting into it so far but I just have one issue with it. The series is drenched in the styles of Chinese imperial palace intrigue, but the dialog is in Japanese. It's just a little jarring. It's like if I was watching a movie set in the court of Louis XIV at Versailles but the film itself was in German. My brain just kind of rebels against it a little bit, even if I am otherwise enjoying it.
this is every historical film hollywood's ever made that didn't take place in an english-speaking country

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coaaab posted:

this is every historical film hollywood's ever made that didn't take place in an english-speaking country

I'm sorry, are you trying to claim that the Romans didn't speak with RP accents?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V3CmVKbUNE

Trigun Stampede confirmed for next season

yoooo they pull a 4kids on wolfwood?! :psyduck:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Freakazoid_ posted:

yoooo they pull a 4kids on wolfwood?! :psyduck:

Hopefully the dub gives him a Brooklyn accent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sorry, are you trying to claim that the Romans didn't speak with RP accents?

Romanes eunt domus!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's rare but it makes me appreciate movies and shows that do languages properly more. Like there's some German TV show about initial roman moves into Germania and I saw a clip on YouTube of some smug officer yelling out what their tribute had better be if they didn't want to get razed in Latin and as soon as he leaves all the villagers are like 'oh man we're hosed I have no idea what he said'. A less ambitious production would have just given them two different accents and either stuck with an imaginary language barrier for the viewer or just pretended they spoke the same language anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

More Than A Married Couple, but Not Lovers isn't going to turn any sakuga heads, but I'm still really liking how it does a lot with lighting and shading. The vibrant colors were a bit odd at first, but it seems like it's letting them do a lot more with contrast and they're really making use of that full range for contrast. The ED also still rules and crunchyroll actually bothered to translate it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Coaaab posted:

For me at least, the issue is degrees of separation. It’s not logical I know but it is what it is. If it’s just actors speaking my own language in a foreign setting I can deal with it. It’s the Translation Convention. I know they’re not really speaking English. But when you add a third language to that, in the case of Raven Palace Japanese, it adds like a whole extra layer that breaks my brain and I see Japanese pretending to be Chinese pretending to be English (subs) and I just start drooling. Even though I normally don’t like dubs at all, this is a case where the dub (is this show even getting a dub?) would be much better because it puts the language back to a simple Chinese>English instead of Chinese>Japanese>English. Again I know it’s not logical but it hurts my monkey brain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sb hermit posted:

Romanes eunt domus!

What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Archer666 posted:

Not terribly thrilled about this, especially that they're not bringing Imahori back for the soundtrack...

Isn't he kind of... not retired, but not working on anime or games anymore?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

Isn't he kind of... not retired, but not working on anime or games anymore?

Not sure, haven't heard anything like that. Think he worked on some Cowboy Bebop tracks 2 years ago..? Unless its a fresh announcement that I missed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

galagazombie posted:

For me at least, the issue is degrees of separation. It’s not logical I know but it is what it is. If it’s just actors speaking my own language in a foreign setting I can deal with it. It’s the Translation Convention. I know they’re not really speaking English. But when you add a third language to that, in the case of Raven Palace Japanese, it adds like a whole extra layer that breaks my brain and I see Japanese pretending to be Chinese pretending to be English (subs) and I just start drooling. Even though I normally don’t like dubs at all, this is a case where the dub (is this show even getting a dub?) would be much better because it puts the language back to a simple Chinese>English instead of Chinese>Japanese>English. Again I know it’s not logical but it hurts my monkey brain.

I'm not quite as bothered by it, but I don't think it's causing any dissonance in my brain like you seem to be describing. Maybe use less brain.

Really, the only funky thing for me is the names. The subs have their name in Chinese, but the audio is the Japanese equivalent.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Early this season I am enjoying G-Witch, Shipponai, and Chainsaw Man.

I missed LycoReco, though, so I may drop Shipponai and Chainsaw Man for their (apparently superior) manga and just get caught up on secret police yuri.

I adore Taisho stories like Shipponai and would love to be pointed towards others of note.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not quite as bothered by it, but I don't think it's causing any dissonance in my brain like you seem to be describing. Maybe use less brain.

Really, the only funky thing for me is the names. The subs have their name in Chinese, but the audio is the Japanese equivalent.

SOMEBODY never watched thunderbolt fantasy

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1582039420911292416?t=IHL0hLtYTJu_WP4o_QY6fg&s=19

Yoko Kanno has had such a fascinating career.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Purin sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
confused at the negativity for the character whose motivation is transparently being unable to admit she's pushing for automation because she's scared of seeing someone important to her get herself hurt

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I don't like the way she treats Yua who's my friend my angel :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
she treats her that way because she is an overprotective tsundere lesbian

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Colonel posted:

she treats her that way because she is an overprotective tsundere lesbian

She's overcontrolling and respects neither Serufu's dreams and independence nor the great Marcus Aurelius!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes, she's an entertaining character

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

what more can you expect from someone named 3D Print

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Can't wait for the reveal of the true villain, Efuti En

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

blue lock is probably the most ridiculous footie anime i've ever seen but its somehow still more realistic than Days

also very much love the women named Teieri Anri. Subtle

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ok i am home from vacation and have finally tried all the new shows that looked like something

Chainsaw Man - a little underwhelmed by how this handled the emotional beats and the action setpiece, but i think the next episode will be more telling as to whether it's gonna be a good or just adequate adaptation. really don't want to have to become a 'manga was better' guy, that which i hate.

Gundam Witch from Mercury - great stuff so far, wearing a lot of fun influences on its sleeve, not much else to say that other people haven't

Do It Yourself - despite being this board's biggest dennou coil fan i did not pick up any of the hints that this was gonna secretly be a mitsuo iso show until people in the know came out and confirmed it. actually watching the first episode makes it a lot more obvious with the handiwork vs automation themes being set up. such a strong cohesive style to the whole thing

Bocchi the Rock! - closer to watamote than hitoribocchi, which i was not expecting but is very welcome.

Akiba Maid War - lol hell yeah. give up your humanity to become a cute maid, indeed. love when a season's best 1st episode comes from an unexpected place.

Raven of the Inner Palace - my plea for more mystery LNs to get adapted is finally being heard. enjoying this one more than a lot of the heavy hitters honestly. unfortunately it's a pretty average-looking show but at least they made sure to animate her stupid fat pet bird and that's what really matters

My Master Has No Tail - decent little comedy with good character designs and a nice throughline about the importance of storytelling. i'll always watch taisho anime unless they're actively bad

Management of Novice Alchemist - i like the atelier games so was hoping this show that looks like someone's atelier OC fanfic would scratch that itch but there's almost nothing going on under the hood here. weak comedy, bland setting/atmosphere, no real drama. i love slice of life anime but they need to be good at one of those things or they are just air.

Shinobi no Ittoki - interesting texture to this one, it's an original but feels like some B-list shonen from 15 years ago. it didn't really accomplish much in the first episode but there's just enough breadcrumbs for things i like that i'm willing to give it a chance

Fuufu Ijou - lovely color design in this but some of the comedy is really grating and it doesn't seem to have a smart angle on its dumb premise. i was open to liking this but nope

Sword isekai - i couldn't make it to the halfway point of episode 1 sorry. i wanted to see the catgirl but no catgirl is worth sitting through 12 minutes of masturbatory RPG stat rundowns

i didn't watch Love Flops but based on all the perplexed impressions i saw plus the fact that it's an original by a SciAdv writer, it is clearly Up To Something. dunno if i want to sit through an indeterminate number of apparently unpleasant setup episodes though to find out what it's doing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, Alchemist show went from 0-100 this ep lol

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Tales of Woe posted:

Management of Novice Alchemist - I like the Atelier games so was hoping this show that looks like someone's atelier OC fanfic would scratch that itch but there's almost nothing going on under the hood here. weak comedy, bland setting/atmosphere, no real drama. i love slice of life anime but they need to be good at one of those things or they are just air.

Sakurazuka posted:

drat, Alchemist show went from 0-100 this ep lol

The duality of man.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

well if it's doing something now i'll give it another shot, thats what this thread is for after all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turns out being an alchemist also makes you a ruthless monster murder machine

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

Sometimes you want materials and you want them now.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

that is also in keeping with the atelier games

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sakurazuka posted:

I got such an incredible kick about the way the show suddenly pulled that swerve. From "So I guess there are hell monsters in this setting" to "well, I guess main girl knows how to avoid hell monsters" to "wait are they saying..." to "holy poo poo she just Rider Kicked a giant flaming grizzly bear and looks alarmingly happy as she rips out its liver".

I thought the gag from the last episode was that the main girl's teacher was implausibly superhuman ala Totori's mom from Atelier and the sword was a last resort kind of deal, but no I guess it is just a difference in experience.

And frankly, I would still probably watch and enjoy the show even if it hadn't adapted the combat portion of the atelier games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm suddenly interested in the atelier rip-off

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

Sword isekai - i couldn't make it to the halfway point of episode 1 sorry. i wanted to see the catgirl but no catgirl is worth sitting through 12 minutes of masturbatory RPG stat rundowns
If you can find the time to give it a second chance and power through that first boring-as-gently caress RPG sim half of episode 1, I believe you will find an interesting story about a lonely child facing a hostile world with her friend, the ridiculously OP Master Sword. Seriously, once Fran & Teacher meet, the show improves dramatically. Hell, skip that first half and you won't miss a drat thing that matters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doodles posted:

If you can find the time to give it a second chance and power through that first boring-as-gently caress RPG sim half of episode 1, I believe you will find an interesting story about a lonely child facing a hostile world with her friend, the ridiculously OP Master Sword. Seriously, once Fran & Teacher meet, the show improves dramatically. Hell, skip that first half and you won't miss a drat thing that matters.

You could probably skip the first ep entirely and start with #2 and come back to it after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eh, it's not that interesting. I read the manga a while ago and it was mostly kind of generic even ignoring the RPG stuff. Pretty much your exact standard Isekai except the main character is a sword (which, you know, is in the title). Like, definitely not the worst one I've seen, but I didn't think it really stood out much in any way, tbh.