Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why does this look worse than the n64 version of animal crossing or sims 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hate it so much that everyone started using “metaverse” to mean “thing with internet” or “thing with VR” instead of just “that lovely Facebook version of VR chat nobody wants”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I hate it so much that everyone started using “metaverse” to mean “thing with internet” or “thing with VR” instead of just “that lovely Facebook version of VR chat nobody wants”

I think you'll find that it's actually just journalists and marketing people.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Tunicate posted:

It costs me only $45 dollars to send ten thousand bucks internationally through my bank, and if I screw up the destination address the recipient has to pay an additional $18 fee to their bank for correcting 'Somebody Co' to 'Somebody Co. Ltd.', instead of having it vanish into the ether forever.

Big fees to send money internationally is mainly an american thing and mainly due to the credit card lobby keeping the system antiquated on purpose. I've been able to send money to most of the planet with no fees for a couple years now, something bitcoin claims to be able to do and very much cannot.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they're also ruining the word root "meta-" just like they did crypto.

like some post afew pages ago already mention some dumbass gamers inventing a Backronym that meta means "most effective tactic available."

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

why does this look worse than the n64 version of animal crossing or sims 1?

Probably so it runs on the old hardware common in the poorer countries they want to exploit

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

nobody real knows what the gently caress a metaverse is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EoinCannon posted:

Probably so it runs on the old hardware common in the poorer countries they want to exploit

Are they still going on about the idea of paying people in third world countries a pittance to literally be NPC questgivers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just a general reminder that Konami makes more money from video games than any other division, and its video games make more money by themselves than Square Enix does as a whole. They still make lots of games each year, they just aren't AAA things which is what they cut to fix their profitability all those years ago.

Konami is also the only company I know of that actually made money off their NFT sales, and they were upfront how dogshit they were and made them worse and told you they were.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are they still going on about the idea of paying people in third world countries a pittance to literally be NPC questgivers

Can't be a background character in a rich person's experience if you can't run the app

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Imagining being the guy in a haunted house that just operates the bat on a fishing line, except instead of being a thing you do for fun one weekend a year you do it 60 hours a day 6 days a week in hopes of maybe making enough to survive another month

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminds me of the people who think the employees of Blizzard are literally being NPCs in the game all day.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this reminds me of some dumb posts about Star Cit and how some guy thought he could have several million people on his space colony and they would all be making money twitch streaming being pretend space people. like even the space janitors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gutcruncher posted:

Metaverse is a handy card in YGO to get your field spells out and nothing more

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Ad by Khad posted:

Big fees to send money internationally is mainly an american thing and mainly due to the credit card lobby keeping the system antiquated on purpose. I've been able to send money to most of the planet with no fees for a couple years now, something bitcoin claims to be able to do and very much cannot.

TransferWise or "Wise" as it's know known (because who wants anyone to be able to tell what you do from your name!?!) is great. Low fee, good exchange rates. I moved a ton of cash between two countries and it was way cheaper than any bank and way easier than western union or whatnot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Imagining being the guy in a haunted house that just operates the bat on a fishing line, except instead of being a thing you do for fun one weekend a year you do it 60 hours a day 6 days a week in hopes of maybe making enough to survive another month

This is probably someone’s job on Sesame Street. Occasionally you’ll see some butterflies on a stick flying in the background of a scene, and I imagine they make the interns do it, or have visitors to the show do it so they can say they operated a puppet during a taping.

That, or they have someone’s job title as “Butterfly Operator”.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm so tired of these people hyping web3 all fuckin day. This poo poo has been debunked to death and yet they all celebrate it and the word salad it represents. Why are people so goddamn stupid?

Things required to run :airquote: web3: :airquote:

All the technology we already rely on. Clearly innovative! Can web3 exist without all of that? Obviously not.

Like...a bunch of fairly non technical people who are excited will use the jargon like it's a real thing, but in reality everything web3 is all the poo poo the internet has done for decades because there isn't a web3. I would compare web3 to slapping a type r sticker on a car.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's late stage capitalism, you have to have the endless treadmill of marketing hype even as there's nothing actually coming out. Most companies exist as appendages of their marketing departments.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That wasn’t Facebook, but some crypto metaverse company

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's late stage capitalism, you have to have the endless treadmill of marketing hype even as there's nothing actually coming out. Most companies exist as appendages of their marketing departments.

Lol late stage, like this poo poo is ever going to end.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Well… Climate change might put quite a damper on human civilization in a couple decades

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

King Carnivore posted:

Well… Climate change might put quite a damper on human civilization in a couple decades

We’re gonna have much more serious problems in the next few years. Decades? Lol

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

nexous posted:

We’re gonna have much more serious problems in the next few years. Decades? Lol

Texas is already getting 'once in a lifetime' blizzards because of cold air coming off the melting polar caps.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Maybe I’m an optimist but I think the water wars are still a few decades out. Here’s to hoping I’ll be dead and in the ground before poo poo gets real bad

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

King Carnivore posted:

Maybe I’m an optimist but I think the water wars are still a few decades out. Here’s to hoping I’ll be dead and in the ground before poo poo gets real bad

i live in the cascades. I shall sup of the rainwater and defend my sod-roofed hovel from desert invaders.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Rainwater everywhere on Earth unsafe to drink due to ‘forever chemicals’, study finds

We did it folks!

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Buce posted:

i live in the cascades. I shall sup of the rainwater and defend my sod-roofed hovel from desert invaders.

I live in a state that is being actively swallowed by the gulf of mexico

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

King Carnivore posted:

If you’re in like Gainesville you’ll probably be ok!!!!!!

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

King Carnivore posted:

Florida or Louisiana?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Buce posted:

i live in the cascades. I shall sup of the rainwater

Lol, like the PNW hasn't had a four-month dry season this year.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

vortmax posted:

Florida or Louisiana?

Louisiana. I envision the future of New Orleans as a bowl surrounded by a sea wall in the middle of the gulf.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

King Carnivore posted:

Louisiana. I envision the future of New Orleans as a bowl surrounded by a sea wall in the middle of the gulf.

Katrina was the perfect opportunity to pack up and move the city inland

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Another day of a large dump to an exchange, let's hope it ends this fake pump.

CryptoQuant alerts posted:

🚨🚨🚨 8,457.05 #BTC ($166,263,473)
aggregated inflows to #Coinbase Pro

Anything above 50m is significant, this was 4 hours before my post.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1582447506096472065

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That’s exactly what I want. Home purchases with a single click. No backsies. Code is law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so the way that works is that the home sits in an LLC (limited liability company - think a corporation, just simplified a lot) and what you buy is not the house - it's the LLC

there are a number of problems with this but the most significant one is liability.

imagine someone slips and falls in your house and sues you. you sell your house to a buyer: the buyer doesn't need to care about that litigation. but if the house is owned by an LLC and you buy the LLC - congrats, you're now the defendant because the defendant is the LLC. the slip-and-fall guy is going to own your home if you don't pay him. you have inherited that litigation, and any other litigation you didn't know about.

oops.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

vortmax posted:

Florida or Louisiana?

Wisconsin (it's a long story.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

evilweasel posted:

so the way that works is that the home sits in an LLC (limited liability company - think a corporation, just simplified a lot) and what you buy is not the house - it's the LLC

there are a number of problems with this but the most significant one is liability.

imagine someone slips and falls in your house and sues you. you sell your house to a buyer: the buyer doesn't need to care about that litigation. but if the house is owned by an LLC and you buy the LLC - congrats, you're now the defendant because the defendant is the LLC. the slip-and-fall guy is going to own your home if you don't pay him. you have inherited that litigation, and any other litigation you didn't know about.

oops.

Wouldn't this have to be disclosed if you were selling this LLC in the real world? Or is it on the buyer's due diligence?