Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sgbyou posted:

I seem to recall Odin Sphere doing something like that Zwei too as well.

they do food-as-XP but don't vary your stats iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone remembers the name of that one JRPGer where you gain different stats on your level up depending on the nutritional content of food you ate between level ups?

It was either a PS1 or PS2, IIRC.

EDIT: It was Ehrgeiz.

Don't you mean Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

aniviron posted:

Don't you mean Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas?

San Andreas wasn't that deep. You had a eat a meal every few days to avoid losing muscle mass, that's it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gynovore posted:

San Andreas wasn't that deep. You had a eat a meal every few days to avoid losing muscle mass, stay fat enough girls will like you that's it.

ftfy

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

A game for the Sega Genesis, it was some sort of military flavored game, maybe a flight simulator? Frankly, what I remember is not so much the gameplay but the cartdridge: It had a tiny yellow plastic module on the side which I don't remember seeing in any other game.
What game was it, and what purpose did that yellow plastic thing serve?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pentaro posted:

A game for the Sega Genesis, it was some sort of military flavored game, maybe a flight simulator? Frankly, what I remember is not so much the gameplay but the cartdridge: It had a tiny yellow plastic module on the side which I don't remember seeing in any other game.

Probably F-117 Night Storm, and I'm pretty sure the yellow tab was just because EA made their own carts.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Pentaro posted:

Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Urban Strike

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pentaro posted:

Yeah like Polaron said, the yellow tab was unique to EA published games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qe1FNqtCo&t=1s

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
A video game with an English language option and an American language option, the latter of which has jokes about american stereotypes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Polaron posted:

Probably F-117 Night Storm, and I'm pretty sure the yellow tab was just because EA made their own carts.

Could also be F-22

https://segaretro.org/F-22_Interceptor:_Advanced_Tactical_Fighter

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Andorra posted:

A video game with an English language option and an American language option, the latter of which has jokes about american stereotypes

A lot of the Worms games had stuff like this.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Andorra posted:

Not exactly what you're asking (doesn't have separate language options for English and American), but Metal Wolf Chaos has an English language option, and the entire game is American stereotypes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Her Majesty's SPIFFING is a point-and-click game that does a lot of parody, and if you turn on the "American" VA option in the menus, you get... a laugh track.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Her Majesty's SPIFFING is a point-and-click game that does a lot of parody, and if you turn on the "American" VA option in the menus, you get... a laugh track.

Based.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Bold to call laugh tracks American when so many British sitcoms are literally unwatchable because of canned laugh tracks

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
This one has been ruining my brain for years.

C64 game. You were supposed to collect objects jet set willy style.

But there was a twist, there was a bird you could call who would pick you up and drop you off at several locations. Also you could punch the bird for some reason. And then the bird wouldn't pick you up for a while.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

MassiveSky posted:

This one has been ruining my brain for years.

C64 game. You were supposed to collect objects jet set willy style.

But there was a twist, there was a bird you could call who would pick you up and drop you off at several locations. Also you could punch the bird for some reason. And then the bird wouldn't pick you up for a while.

This made me think of The Alchemist on the spectrum ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemist_(video_game) ) but there you turn into a bird rather than getting picked up by it. And it's not on the C64. But other than that...

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Hm, no. I think the bird was yellow as well.

Also, I'm not sure but I think the game started when you walked off the title screen, downwell style.

MassiveSky fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 10, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pharaoh's Curse?

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Hwurmp posted:

Pharaoh's Curse?

YES, thank you!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Game released recently, I don’t know if it’s a Humble published game but that’s where I first saw it but I don’t recognize it in their Trove archive. Best described as indie Dark Messiah, you’re a sword wielding knight guy fighting enemies in a proc Gen dungeon kicking them into traps and stuff.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

al-azad posted:

Game released recently, I don’t know if it’s a Humble published game but that’s where I first saw it but I don’t recognize it in their Trove archive. Best described as indie Dark Messiah, you’re a sword wielding knight guy fighting enemies in a proc Gen dungeon kicking them into traps and stuff.

Neverlooted Dungeon? Unreleased, but the demo came out recently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No this game was more abstract looking, the humanoid enemies were little more than black textured Minecraft guys and it was kind of a speedrunny type approach where you’re trying to complete the levels as fast as possible.

Neverlooted looks kind of cool though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

No this game was more abstract looking, the humanoid enemies were little more than black textured Minecraft guys and it was kind of a speedrunny type approach where you’re trying to complete the levels as fast as possible.

Neverlooted looks kind of cool though

Shady Knight

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Shady Knight

That’s the one thanks. Also a game where I conflated an old demo with a full release, it’s been like 2 years.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll mention Blade & Sorcery as another game along the lines of Dark Messiah, except in VR.

My favorite part of Dark Messiah was the most powerful weapon being a wicker basket. Set one ablaze, and you could hold it without taking damage, and torch enemies by simply walking into them. I'm pretty sure it acted as a shield, too. I don't know if the indestructible hell basket was a design oversight or something they did intentionally for laughs, but it owned either way.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Trying to remember this old adventure game from I think the mid 90s where the graphics were cartoony and there was time travel and I think one of the first things you do was get a dinosaur egg.

It came as a pack-in with Gateway 2000 computers around I think 95.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Lysandus posted:

Trying to remember this old adventure game from I think the mid 90s where the graphics were cartoony and there was time travel and I think one of the first things you do was get a dinosaur egg.

It came as a pack-in with Gateway 2000 computers around I think 95.

The Awesome Adventures of Victor Vector & Yondo: The Last Dinosaur Egg?

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

Trying to find a (kinda?) old game - I think it was touted something like from the dev who did XCOM or XCOM2 - but its not the phoenix point game. It had 3 races, and really really terrible DRM like you could only get it from his specific website and he'd send you a code or something I don't know.

One of the things that stands out is that there were an "alien" race and a "robot" race and the robot race had a guy who shot a "grenade" and it was a little ball, it shot out, and you'd end your turn, and it would continue on the trajectory of the ball throughout subsequent turns until it blew up.

The game play was something like Frozen Synapse, turn based combat. I think the three races were like human, robot, alien. It had a very distinctive feel and I can't find the darn thing. It didn't do so well and maybe was kind of buggy and I remembered I wanted to come back to it and see if it got better.

Not very descriptive, anyone have a clue? =\

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Caenum posted:

Trying to find a (kinda?) old game - I think it was touted something like from the dev who did XCOM or XCOM2 - but its not the phoenix point game. It had 3 races, and really really terrible DRM like you could only get it from his specific website and he'd send you a code or something I don't know.

One of the things that stands out is that there were an "alien" race and a "robot" race and the robot race had a guy who shot a "grenade" and it was a little ball, it shot out, and you'd end your turn, and it would continue on the trajectory of the ball throughout subsequent turns until it blew up.

The game play was something like Frozen Synapse, turn based combat. I think the three races were like human, robot, alien. It had a very distinctive feel and I can't find the darn thing. It didn't do so well and maybe was kind of buggy and I remembered I wanted to come back to it and see if it got better.

Retroahoy made a overview over x-com and related games recently, is it a game in this video? He mentions some Frozen Synapse style games.
Xcom is made by someone different then Phonix point which is by the makers of X-com.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBu77h2FSCM

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Caenum posted:

Laser Squad Nemesis?

Made by Julian Gollop, had human, robot and 2 alien teams and played like Frozen synapse, though I can't find videos of people actually playing it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Caenum posted:

Not sure about the DRM, but Laser Squad Nemesis?

e:f,b

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I was about to link https://www.mobygames.com/game/laser-squad-nemesis but I see there's the double e;f,b now that I'm replying, because this tab has been open for a while.

Edit: That was also quite descriptive compared to some of the questions that this thread gets, but hey, that's what the thread is for.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 17, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Caenum posted:

This part at least smacks of Spiderweb Software so I'm gonna vote "one of the Geneforge games" even though multi-turn ballistics don't seem to fit.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's also the UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight series. Your description doesn't sound like the first or third game, but I've never played the second, and I think it had different races.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Might be Chaos Reborn. I tried playing it once. Didn't much care for it.

Caenum
Apr 25, 2003

Zathril posted:

Laser Squad Nemesis?Made by Julian Gollop, had human, robot and 2 alien teams and played like Frozen synapse, though I can't find videos of people actually playing it.

Pierzak posted:

Not sure about the DRM, but Laser Squad Nemesis?e:f,b

Mierenneuker posted:

I was about to link https://www.mobygames.com/game/laser-squad-nemesis but I see there's the double e;f,b now that I'm replying, because this tab has been open for a while.
Edit: That was also quite descriptive compared to some of the questions that this thread gets, but hey, that's what the thread is for.

That was fast! It's an abandonware game now?! man (kinda?) was an understatement.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021123004228/http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/

Well at least my memory holds, but look at this crazy stupid business model :

Dumb dumbs in 2002 posted:

The subscription rate for the game is US$25 for 6 months. When you purchase your subscription it is a one-time charge and your credit card is not continuously debited. When your subscription expires you will be informed by email with instructions about continuing your subscription.
Man what a fun game marred by greed. Searching around there doesn't seem to be any updated non-abandonware "FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MADE LASER SQUAD NEMESIS" games. Ah well.

e: spoke too soon, I guess phoenix point is exactly this, and the same guy lol. maybe I'll give it a chance.

Thanks for the quick turn around Zathril/Pierzak/Mierenneuker!

Caenum fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 17, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bring back Laser Squad, or rather make a lo fi star wars xcom because that's what young me imagined it was with all the references and whatnot.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm trying to track down an old Flash game I used to play, probably around 2002-2003. There was a pig on the screen and you had to click and drag food items that would travel from one side of the screen to the other on a conveyor belt. Certain foods would cause it to gain weight, others would cause it to puke and lose weight. I think the goal of the game was to get the pig as fat as possible in the time limit without overfeeding it to the point where it would explode. Overall it was very stupid and simple. I remember it being called something like "Pop the Pig", or maybe "Don't Pop the Pig", or just "Feed the Pig", though I haven't been able to find it searching for any of those titles, possibly because there are other games with the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm trying to track down an old Flash game I used to play, probably around 2002-2003. There was a pig on the screen and you had to click and drag food items that would travel from one side of the screen to the other on a conveyor belt. Certain foods would cause it to gain weight, others would cause it to puke and lose weight. I think the goal of the game was to get the pig as fat as possible in the time limit without overfeeding it to the point where it would explode. Overall it was very stupid and simple. I remember it being called something like "Pop the Pig", or maybe "Don't Pop the Pig", or just "Feed the Pig", though I haven't been able to find it searching for any of those titles, possibly because there are other games with the same name.

If it's this then it's Feed The Pig. It's listed on the Flashpoint games list so should be playable through that.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 18, 2022